Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 309
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    I am going to receive a copy for my birthday next month.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 target £360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 2502.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 19th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 9,891 Posts
    • 15,460 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Bummer, patricia50.

But console yourself with the fact that the straw would most likely catch on your clothes and 'bobble' them.

I have a policy that if I really, really want something I'll buy it there and then.

If I'm not sure, I'll leave it on the basis of when I go back, if it's there it was meant for me and if it's gone, it wasn't.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    What a brilliant philosophy. I will add it to my other CS mantra - if I don't know what it is, I don't need it!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th May 17, 7:11 PM
    • 6,774 Posts
    • 17,944 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    +1 for if you like it, hold it firmly on one hand. And keep a token coin in your other hand pocket so you can "start to pay" for it. Once staff have identified you clearly as the about to be owner as soon as you've emptied your purse, no other blighter can make away with it & cause this gruesome cs tristesse.
    Where there are plural items, deploy children, &/or spouse/partner/significant other/*trusted* partner in shopping, or just take the priced article & ask for assistance please.

I find if I can walk away from an item, it isn't meant to come home with me, whereas if it cuddles into my hand, clearly I should have brought more bags. And money. And family. Who are also pretty shrewd at picking out a nice read, or spotting a sharp T shirt. Raised 'em well!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Or take the item to the counter for them to hold while you carry on browsing? Tried on a lovely pair of lilacy pink peach skin trousers - they were long enough for me but......Waist came at bikini line Did buy a nice Quicksilver shirt for DH for £2.99 - stylish and no sign of wear.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 20th May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 9,891 Posts
    • 15,460 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Many's the time I have wished c/shops had baskets, like supermarkets do. I sometimes "borrow" a shopping bag that is on display, and put my bits in there as I walk around, then return it to the display when I get to the counter to pay. Never had anyone complain yet.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th May 17, 1:27 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'll keep a lookout for this in the chazzer I work in - we have loads of books & all paperbacks 50p & hardbacks £1....did I say my weakness is books??
    Originally posted by sashanut
    Thanks, that's very kind.
    WOW! I'd never thought of looking on ebay.
    Thanks so much for that.
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Is that in-store?

I found this online, it's £17.00 so a saving of £8.00 (32%):
    https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search/go?af=cat1%3Abooks&w=hairy+bikers+curry

It's been fluctuating on Amazon around that price for ages, I've never seen it lower though.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 22,641 Posts
    • 46,912 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    +1 for if you like it, hold it firmly on one hand. And keep a token coin in your other hand pocket so you can "start to pay" for it. Once staff have identified you clearly as the about to be owner as soon as you've emptied your purse, no other blighter can make away with it & cause this gruesome cs tristesse.
    Where there are plural items, deploy children, &/or spouse/partner/significant other/*trusted* partner in shopping, or just take the priced article & ask for assistance please.

I find if I can walk away from an item, it isn't meant to come home with me, whereas if it cuddles into my hand, clearly I should have brought more bags. And money. And family. Who are also pretty shrewd at picking out a nice read, or spotting a sharp T shirt. Raised 'em well!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    We can't beat this strategy for pure brilliance!! Total respect
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 20th May 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Thanks, that's very kind.

WOW! I'd never thought of looking on ebay.
    Thanks so much for that.

Is that in-store?

I found this online, it's £17.00 so a saving of £8.00 (32%):
    https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search/go?af=cat1%3Abooks&w=hairy+bikers+curry

It's been fluctuating on Amazon around that price for ages, I've never seen it lower though.
    Hi,
    Yes, that was in the store. I was in Bluewater, Kent.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 20th May 17, 9:52 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Did the rounds of charity shops around Faversham today.
    Bought:
    5 side plates for £1.50
    5 teaspoons for 10p each

Went into Shelter charity shop and they were selling paper back books for £1.50 and £1.75 each. I picked up three and then decided that I didn't want to pay that much for them. So I only bought one (The Silkworm, Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling). Then went to Cancer Research and spotted one of the same books (me before you) in there for £1.00. (So saved 50p). Then I went into a rspca charity shop and found the other book (after you) for 50p ( saved £1.25). Also picked up another book for 50p ( James Patterson - Private down under).

Finally, I went into Oxfam and bought a DVD (The Butler) for £1.99

Fab shop for £7.49
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi,
    Yes, that was in the store. I was in Bluewater, Kent.
    Thanks, that's a bargain.

I'm in town today and they're open so will pop in and hope to pick a copy up.
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 21st May 17, 8:50 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    Pickings have been fairly slim at my local CSs recently - but I made up for it on a trip to Perpignan last week (needless to say, 90% of my wardrobe for the trip was CS-sourced...) The only thing I've been getting is DVDs (like the 2 Mesrine DVDs for £1 - getting myself back into French..)

I got a 4 CD set of 1930s -1950s French dance music cds for €1, three silk scarves for €1 each, a heavy linen jacket in a light caramel colour for €1.50. Plus a man's nightshirt in fine linen and a pair of French knickers for €6.50 (grandmothers' knickers, from about 1880, totally hand sewn with tiny stitches...)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 22,641 Posts
    • 46,912 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I had a bit of an unwarranted spend-up today. A science book for my niece which I teach her from when she's ready for it, and a BNWT pair of angel wings, which I think she can enjoy now.

And also for my mum 2 heavy crystal snack dishes, 10" round, divided into 4 quarter sections with a central round section. One was on a stand (I thought it was a crystal cake stand when I first saw it), one was not. Ideal for posh chips and dips

£10 in total.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st May 17, 6:45 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi,

You're my new BFF.

I'm now the proud owner of a brand new copy of the Hairy Bikers Great Curries book for £7.00.
    And I also bought Rick Stein's Venice to Istanbul book which has lots of recipes that appeal for £6.00 (better than 75% off).

I did look at Hairy Bikers Meat Feast but decided there wasn't so many recipes that I'd use.

WHS have lots of hardback cookery books at 65% + off:
    Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Mary Berry, HFW, Tom Kerridge, Nigel Slater, Gordon Ramsay.....
    Thanks to the other posters who offered advice re my 'mission'.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 21st May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    Gem-gem

You're my new BFF.

I'm now the proud owner of a brand new copy of the Hairy Bikers Great Curries book for £7.00.
    And I also bought Rick Stein's Venice to Istanbul book which has lots of recipes that appeal for £6.00 (better than 75% off).

I did look at Hairy Bikers Meat Feast but decided there wasn't so many recipes that I'd use.

WHS have lots of hardback cookery books at 65% + off:
    Jamie Oliver, Nigella, Mary Berry, HFW, Tom Kerridge, Nigel Slater, Gordon Ramsay.....
    Thanks to the other posters who offered advice re my 'mission'.
    Hi Pollycat,
    My new BFF.
    I'm so glad that you have finally got your Hairy Biker Curry book. I can't wait to start using mine.
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 21st May 17, 10:49 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    As I wear a dress size 30/32 I never find anything to wear in CS.

However, I was out and about in town for the day and realised that the weather was not as warm as expected and I was in a sleeveless top! Having no car to pop home, and being unable to just pop into a shop and buy something (there are no plus size shops at all in my town!) I popped into a CS to see if I could find a shawl, poncho or pashmina or something. I didn't care what it looked like, I decided I would grab the first thing that was half-suitable then give it away to another CS near me once I got home.

I spotted a smart black shrug, full length sleeves, waist length with a waterfall front that could be left loose or tied up. It was extremely well-made, must have been expensive, but it was only a size 20 --- 6 sizes too small!

I tried it on in a fit of mad optimism and to my amazement it fits me like a glove!

I paid £1 for it, and far from throwing it away, it became a staple of my wardrobe. In fact, it never goes in the wardrobe because I wear it almost every day -- I am wearing it even now!

£1. Amazing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st May 17, 10:52 PM
    • 22,641 Posts
    • 46,912 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I tried it on in a fit of mad optimism and to my amazement it fits me like a glove!
    Originally posted by MONEYTREE
    Now that's what I call fate

• bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 22nd May 17, 12:33 AM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 1,785 Thanks
    bobsa1
    I haven't been in shops properly this week but did pop in sue Ryder today with do. I got a lovely white laura Ashley cotton and linen t shirt type top with lovely detailing for £3 . I've seen a fashion photo of the woman I want to be and so I'm setting out to recreate the outfit. So far I've got my £3 white top. Some £5.99 Hobbs sandals off eBay and I need a pair of light coloured jeans and ideally an unstructured blazer (or will have to borrow one off dd) so I am hopeful of having the outfit that cost about £100 in my possession for £15
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd May 17, 3:20 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi Pollycat,
    My new BFF.
    I'm so glad that you have finally got your Hairy Biker Curry book. I can't wait to start using mine.
    Hi.
    The recipe that was specially recommended to me in the book that set me on my mission was Afghan Aubergine with yogurt, it's on page 222/223.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 22nd May 17, 3:31 PM
    • 5,361 Posts
    • 22,238 Thanks
    Miró
    This C/S shopping malarkey is proving much more expensive these days since the hospice sales ceased with all it's wonderful 50p bargains

Anyhoo, today's, probably overpriced, finds from the community shop ......

A FatFace, linen, bucket-type sunhat, still with tags, £2.50. At least it's fold-uppable and might save me from sunstroke!

A Harvey Nichols, (didn't know they were a 'brand"?), as new, black lacy, 100% cashmere, crossover 'ballerina stylee' cardi for £3. It is as light as a thistle and will be very useful over summer dresses.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Frith
    • By Frith 23rd May 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 37,771 Thanks
    Frith
    A good time in the charity shops in St John's, Worcester today (the bit of Worcester over the bridge!)

Older son wanted some shorts - found in a different charity shop yesterday. But I bought GREEN ONES, how silly of me :-/ These will be going back but today was lucky to find 2 cream pairs, one from Next, one from H and M, which are to his liking.

A grey Hollister T shirt for younger son which he is incredibly pleased with - nice quality fabric.

And for me, a White Stuff tunic dress with different coloured leaf print.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter