Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 308
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    In a different part of the world today and found a new "special place". I hunted around the kid's bin and found 3 nice bouses two sets of leggings (one Minnie Mouse), a good quality pair of shorts, and a beautiful lacy white dress with a red ribbon trim. All for 50p each.

And 3 books for me, for £4. So £7.50 in total.
    • Towser
    • By Towser 15th May 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Towser
    What labels should I covet for teenage boys?

I have been buying Quicksilver, o'Neill and Hollister are there any others?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th May 17, 3:42 PM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Jack Wills
    Superdry
    Abercrombie & Fitch
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 15th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Art Deco
    Had an expensive trip to the dentist this afternoon and whist in town decided to drop off some stuff at my fave cheap chazzer , had a little look around and got myself some Fat face Damson coloured trousers in extra long exactly what i wanted £1,25 !!! needed these to go with a top for the wedding i went to a couple of weeks ago but couldnt find any in purple , drinks at the wedding only cost me £2 for a tonic water used a few of your suggestions
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 15th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    2childmum
    Feeling a bit cross. Nipped into the cheapest of the charity shops in the next town and found that new-in stuff has all got more expensive!! Usually things like tops are £2-£3 - and some of the stuff was that price (some of it i recognised from a previous foray) but other tops were £5-£6!!!! I wonder if they have a new manager. The more expensive shop had some blouses at £8!! They were from Coast, so a nice brand, but it seems a bit steep to me. They do reduce stuff sometimes, though, so maybe if i go back in a week I may be in luck! I'm not sure they will get that sort of money for the stuff.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 15th May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 9,914 Posts
    • 15,538 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Feeling a bit cross. Nipped into the cheapest of the charity shops in the next town and found that new-in stuff has all got more expensive!! Usually things like tops are £2-£3 - and some of the stuff was that price (some of it i recognised from a previous foray) but other tops were £5-£6!!!! I wonder if they have a new manager. The more expensive shop had some blouses at £8!! They were from Coast, so a nice brand, but it seems a bit steep to me. They do reduce stuff sometimes, though, so maybe if i go back in a week I may be in luck! I'm not sure they will get that sort of money for the stuff.
    Originally posted by 2childmum
    They don't do themselves any favours when they overprice things. People go out to treat themselves to a bargain for a couple of quid, not half the week's housekeeping money. Most folk will just walk away if they have to break a tenner for a second hand top.

Another good foray to Ormskirk today, despite the pouring rain - well I just had to keep finding shelter didn't I? Age UK have a basket of assorted tops, that have been on sale before for £1-£2, but if they don't sell they get chucked in there and sold for 50p or 3 for £1. A good rummage eventually produced three nice tops, all lightweight which I am always after for travelling packing.

I also found a pair of Per Una jeans in the Salvation Army shop on the £1 sale rail, which don't appear to have had much, if any, wear.

Yesterday I found a lovely printed canvas Clarks cross-body bag for £2 in Southport, and a small backpack for £1.99 in Formby, so I am kitted out for a weekend away for £6 . Well except for shoes, but we can't have everything .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Miró
    • By Miró 16th May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 22,586 Thanks
    Miró
    Bit of an extravagant splurge today in the community charity shop...someone had donated loads of Wallis and Monsoon summer dresses Got myself a Wallis aztec patterned maxi dress in orange, yellow, brown & turquoise with some discrete twinkly beading on the front of the sleeveless V necked bodice. Priced at £6 and looks great on....especially pleased cos Wallis have bothered to centre the pattern and match up the sides perfectly, (a particular bugbear of mine), so well done Wallis!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Towser
    • By Towser 16th May 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    Towser
    Originally Posted by 2childmum View Post
    Well that has been the norm around 'ere. Cannot believe the prices old stylers quote usually. I thought it was inverted snobbery.

Chazzas to make more money can charge the same as ebay because that is the price stuff goes for, with or without the postage.

Their aim is to make as much as possible for the charity.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Well that has been the norm around 'ere. Cannot believe the prices old stylers quote usually. I thought it was inverted snobbery.
    Originally posted by Towser
    Perhaps it is. I personally find stuff a lot more thrilling to buy and valuable to own knowing I have found it for a silly price. I generally give the chazzers with pricing delusions a miss.

Buying cheaply neither stops me from donating goods nor money to my favourite charities.
    • Doody
    • By Doody 17th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Doody
    Perhaps it is. I personally find stuff a lot more thrilling to buy and valuable to own knowing I have found it for a silly price. ... <big snip>
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Ha yes. The modern day and animal friendly equivalent to the thrill of the chase.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 29,289 Thanks
    Floss
    DH is fitting a new worktop and sanding the others today, so took advantage and went for a good browse I had a good session - 4 shops and £23.50 spent on a blue spotted gathered jersey Phase Eight dress, a BNWT Boden tweedy shift dress, rusty-colour Kaliko wide-leg linen trousers, White Stuff top, pink linen M&S shirt, a Zara batwing cardi, Zara printed linen tunic, an Autograph grey cashmere sweater and a Tu broderie anglais tunic/ cover-up. Well chuffed with that lot
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th May 17, 5:33 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I had a good session - 4 shops and £23.50 spent on a blue spotted gathered jersey Phase Eight dress, a BNWT Boden tweedy shift dress, rusty-colour Kaliko wide-leg linen trousers, White Stuff top, pink linen M&S shirt, a Zara batwing cardi, Zara printed linen tunic, an Autograph grey cashmere sweater and a Tu broderie anglais tunic/ cover-up. Well chuffed with that lot
    Originally posted by Floss
    And righly so! Please take me with you next time
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A great haul, Floss, some good brands there.
    ....especially pleased cos Wallis have bothered to centre the pattern and match up the sides perfectly, (a particular bugbear of mine), so well done Wallis!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Mine too.

I used to do a lot of dressmaking so mismatched fabric really shouts out at me.

I have a jersey dress with horizontal stripes of different widths and colours that I only wear on holiday as a 'day' dress for going to have lunch or for the pool.
    It's dreadfully put together and it really sets my teeth on edge when I wear it and stand sideways.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th May 17, 5:35 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I am out of control
    Well today was utter chazzer madness. I unexpectedly saw a parking space near a library branch I generally view from the majesty of London traffic, so took the opportunity to nip in and return an overdue book that had been in my handbag for a couple of days.

My walking route to the library took me past a chazzer, and I picked up another 6 books from the display outside. I hadn't planned to look inside, but a fellow pedestrian pointed out the big sale sign in the window to me. Would have been rude to resist

What I came out with was 3 Autograph blouses for my mum, 3 for me by Per Una and Long Tall Sally - which I fully expect my mum to wear / sister to pinch! For my niece: 6 nearly new and very smart dresses in various sizes (including one that was obviously a bridesmaid dress) and 3 BNWT smart t-shirts. And a mug for my mum, clearly labelled Mum from her best child

Then I bought a couple of books from the said library - "The Lighthouse" for me, a "Horrible Science" book my niece - for 10p each. My total haul (not including the library fine ) came to £14.91.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 18th May 17, 6:43 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 22,586 Thanks
    Miró

Mine too.

I used to do a lot of dressmaking so mismatched fabric really shouts out at me.

I have a jersey dress with horizontal stripes of different widths and colours that I only wear on holiday as a 'day' dress for going to have lunch or for the pool.
    It's dreadfully put together and it really sets my teeth on edge when I wear it and stand sideways.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Ha.....yes I used to do a lot f dressmaking too and i can remember being taught in my school needlework classes about the importance of matching and placing checks and stripes. These days even the more expensive makes don't seem to bother about things like that
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 18th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    patricia50
    Went out charity shopping today and picked up some little bits and bobs including a fossil handbag and 5 nice Jasper Conran cups and saucers. In the shop where I got the cups and soaucers I was looking through a box of bags and there was a lovely I think it's called a French market shopper bag. It was a large woven straw type shopper with leather handles (short and long ones) I liked it but wasn't sure whether to get it or not. I wandered around the shop and then went back and picked it up and looked at it again. That should have been a sign but I left it. After going off for an hour or two to do some more shopping I was going for my bus and decided to go back in the shop with the bag and get it if it was still there. Now..... if it had been gone I would have just thought "ohh well I should have bought it" but worse than that..... there was a woman looking through the box of bags and "my" bag was at her feet filled with her stuff. That was so much worse than if it had just been gone lol. It just goes to show if you like something you should just get it ��
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th May 17, 7:14 AM
    • 17,381 Posts
    • 44,271 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Went out charity shopping today and picked up some little bits and bobs including a fossil handbag and 5 nice Jasper Conran cups and saucers. In the shop where I got the cups and soaucers I was looking through a box of bags and there was a lovely I think it's called a French market shopper bag. It was a large woven straw type shopper with leather handles (short and long ones) I liked it but wasn't sure whether to get it or not. I wandered around the shop and then went back and picked it up and looked at it again. That should have been a sign but I left it. After going off for an hour or two to do some more shopping I was going for my bus and decided to go back in the shop with the bag and get it if it was still there. Now..... if it had been gone I would have just thought "ohh well I should have bought it" but worse than that..... there was a woman looking through the box of bags and "my" bag was at her feet filled with her stuff. That was so much worse than if it had just been gone lol. It just goes to show if you like something you should just get it ��
    Originally posted by patricia50
    Bummer, patricia50.

But console yourself with the fact that the straw would most likely catch on your clothes and 'bobble' them.

I have a policy that if I really, really want something I'll buy it there and then.

If I'm not sure, I'll leave it on the basis of when I go back, if it's there it was meant for me and if it's gone, it wasn't.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 19th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 23,384 Thanks
    sashanut
    I've been on the lookout for a copy of Hairy Bikers' Great Curries for at least a year, it was recommended to me by another poster on MSE.

It's £17.00 on Amazon.

I look in every charity shop every time I go in but no luck so far, I'd happily pay £6.99 for a good copy.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'll keep a lookout for this in the chazzer I work in - we have loads of books & all paperbacks 50p & hardbacks £1....did I say my weakness is books??
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • janb5
    • By janb5 19th May 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    janb5
    Hi Pollycat,

I just looked on Ebay and found this...any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Hairy-Bikers-Great-Curries-King-Si-Book-/142096856558?hash=item2115a1f5ee:g:VlkAAOSwK6RZHrH z
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 19th May 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,383 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    I am going to receive a copy for my birthday next month.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 3402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,532Users online

Martin's Twitter