Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 609Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 300
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 18th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    There's been slim pickings in my local Charity shop this year, I've bought nothing at all in the way of second hand goods. However last week, at my local SCOPE, I bought a brand new looking copy of Nigella Lawson's How to Eat for £1, and two rugby league autobiographies for £1 each. The autobiographies (once I got them home) are really foisty smelling, but they were only a £1 each, and I've found rugby league books to be quite expensive when buying brand new from Amazon etc.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 18th Apr 17, 11:51 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 6,629 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I came home one day to say that I'd been to the local CS & discovered that someone had the same as me in books - bought several as I didn't know where my copies were. My neighbour was having a cuppa with my mum and couldn't stop laughing.

Penny dropped when I found out that they were my copies as my mum had taken into the CS a couple of days before!
    Originally posted by Chris25
    I realised tonight that the book I bought last week for £1.50 that I had already bought and read it before. Last time it only cost me 50p. I'm trying to think of it as a charitable donation. Have now recorded on my phone which books I have already got/ read.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 target £300
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 2252.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Apr 17, 3:39 AM
    • 19,794 Posts
    • 225,289 Thanks
    Valli
    There's been slim pickings in my local Charity shop this year, I've bought nothing at all in the way of second hand goods. However last week, at my local SCOPE, I bought a brand new looking copy of Nigella Lawson's How to Eat for £1, and two rugby league autobiographies for £1 each. The autobiographies (once I got them home) are really foisty smelling, but they were only a £1 each, and I've found rugby league books to be quite expensive when buying brand new from Amazon etc.
    Originally posted by GreenBitterfly
    A tip I remember from 'How clean us you house' is to put tumble dryer sheets between pages of the book and stick them in a polythene bag. Use 3 or 4 sheets per book.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5870.57 23/05/2017
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Apr 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 46,742 Thanks
    silvasava
    Off to the Hospice shop today with about 8 binbags of clothes that were left from our sailing club charity sale. Most of it really good stuff and some brand new so if you're in my area ladies..........
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 19th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    My niece is due her baby (boy) in a few weeks and yesterday we found three lovely pairs of dungarees. £4 for them all. this was in a ` Willow ` charity shop.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 17, 1:42 PM
    • 16,945 Posts
    • 41,142 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've bought a brand new, still in the case Lorus watch - this one:

http://www.loruswatches.co.uk/index.php/products/r2339dx9

Playful childrens Lorus watch in hot pink, set around a high-visibility dial with numeral hour markers.
    Not bad considering I'm the wrong side of 60.....

It has a plastic strap and will be perfect for holidays abroad as my watches are decent makes and I don't like wearing them to be ruined by suncream, sand and sweat.

RRP £22.00, I paid £3.00

Apparently, Lorus are part of Seiko.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 19th Apr 17, 4:59 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Two men's zip up hoodies, small and extra small, for DsS who's now wearing age 13-14 or bigger despite being 10 and a half. Both barely (If ever) worn Primark Cedar Wood State brand for £2.99 each in Barnardos.

Passed his last batch of clothes on to my hairdresser's son who's eight and wearing age 10-11 clothes lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 19th Apr 17, 5:51 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,220 Thanks
    dragonlily
    Love the re-puchasing stories

Penny dropped when I found out that they were my copies as my mum had taken into the CS a couple of days before!
    Made me chuckle

Most of my forays to the charity shop have only resulted in donations! I am still decluttering / kondoing. However, I took another pile to the Hospice shop yesterday, which included a really nice parker ballpoint pen that changes to a PDA stick. It was a lovely gift I got but I don't have a PDA and I always found it too big for my hand.

Must have been good karma because I found a lovely slim gold plated Sheaffer fountain pen for £5. Now need to buy some cartridges for it. Also got a Jack Daniels Whiskey Tumbler, a heavy square one for 10p.

I am not buying very much at the minute at all........ Def more going out than coming in!

x
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Sharp intake of breath! You lucky thing! I adore good fountain pens.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 19th Apr 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 6,629 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I went to the charity shop with my book list today.
    Picked up:
    James Patterson x 2 - £1.25 each. I am sure that one is brand new.
    Trisha Ashley - A winter's tale £1.25
    Jojo Moyes - hard back book published in 2016 (published in this edition) 2017 £2
    These were also from Scope. Weird how another person who went to scope paid £1 for all their books and The paperbacks in this shop were all at £1.25!!!
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 target £300
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 2252.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Apr 17, 9:03 PM
    • 22,326 Posts
    • 45,816 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Confessions of a book addict
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Unforgiveable!

I had a mixed experience at chazzers this weekend. I was out for the day on Good Friday, and suddenly felt panicked when I realised the library I intended to swap a book at en-route was closed (it's usually open on Sundays so I thought it would be open 10am-4pm). Feeling insecure without any fresh reading material to hand, I searched high and low for a chazzer in the area: all but one was shut. Most of the books were trashy (not the usual things I read) but 3 that were worth having stood out, precisely because I already have them . I rummaged around further and found two that I could read: one was fiction and an award-winner, and the other by Paxo. At £1 for each of the books that were the best of a bad bunch, I considered this a chazzer fail .

On Easter Saturday I went for a walk and bought a Richard Wiseman book for 99p; acceptable given that I wanted to read it.

There seemed to be a lot more open on Easter Monday: I was drawn to one I visit when I can, knowing that I would find something I wanted. I did...a total of 10 books, including this beautiful new-looking hardback which I had P'inned when it was published a few months ago:

Then yesterday I was passing another, and ended up buying a BN copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace (it's nearly 1,000 pages in small print, has anyone actually read it?), a brand new looking Simply Nigella in hardback, a couple of medical textbooks and one on criminal law case studies. All very chunky, and well worth the £5 I paid for them.

So a total of 18 books over 5 days, for £14.59. I see the hygge as an investment, as it will help me live in an OS way
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 19-04-2017 at 9:07 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 20th Apr 17, 10:58 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    I found a really cute little Next floral print top for my daughter on Easter Monday for 50p, lovely for spring/summer so I'm very happy with that. Nothing for my son though, I've found no decent boys clothes for quite a while now.

I also popped into one of the shops which sell the children's books for 25p each. I believe I bought 9, despite the fact that we really don't need any more, but there were a few titles I'd been after for a while and all were immaculate - possibly unread. I also popped into BHF and found one of the titles in the series of Mog books by Judith Kerr which we didn't already have. It was 95p which seemed rather steep as most of the shops don't charge more than 50p for kids titles, but when I got it home I realised it had an audio book on CD in the back, so that made me feel a bit better about it!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 16,945 Posts
    • 41,142 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I found a really cute little Next floral print top for my daughter on Easter Monday for 50p, lovely for spring/summer so I'm very happy with that. Nothing for my son though, I've found no decent boys clothes for quite a while now.

I also popped into one of the shops which sell the children's books for 25p each. I believe I bought 9, despite the fact that we really don't need any more, but there were a few titles I'd been after for a while and all were immaculate - possibly unread. I also popped into BHF and found one of the titles in the series of Mog books by Judith Kerr which we didn't already have. It was 95p which seemed rather steep as most of the shops don't charge more than 50p for kids titles, but when I got it home I realised it had an audio book on CD in the back, so that made me feel a bit better about it!
    Originally posted by KitKatMum2
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-patchwork-cat/n-bayley/william-mayne/9780099983200
    I have 2 copies of this book ^^^^, 1 hardback and 1 paperback.

It's a lovely story and the illustrations are wonderful, worth buying if you come across it.
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 20th Apr 17, 11:10 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-patchwork-cat/n-bayley/william-mayne/9780099983200
    I have 2 copies of this book ^^^^, 1 hardback and 1 paperback.

It's a lovely story and the illustrations are wonderful, worth buying if you come across it.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Oh thank you, I've not heard of that one, I'll keep an eye out
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 16,945 Posts
    • 41,142 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Oh thank you, I've not heard of that one, I'll keep an eye out
    Originally posted by KitKatMum2
    https://www.amazon.com/Leo-Magnificat-Ann-Matthews-Martin/dp/0590484982

I have a copy of this one too, although it does have a sad ending - it's based on a true story.

I don't have kids - but I do love cats.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 20th Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    Chris25
    I had a great day at the shops today.

Went to the P.O. to post some letters and nipped into little shop next door, found 5 paperbacks for £1 (usual price there), a clear perspex candlestick lamp with a nice enough shade for £5, and a string of lights like little lightbulbs for £3.

Then walked back to put them into the car and a lady was selling some bits outside her house. all plants were 25p & I got 3 and 2 hand crafted greetings cards at £1.50 each.

On the way home, I spied a lovely mirror outside another CS and as one can never have too many mirrors, felt obliged to buy it . For £4 I got an arched over-mantle mirror with beading. Someone has shabby chic-ed it and it's pale silvery grey with cream showing through the distressed bits. The lady in the shop said a customer brought in a huge box of assorted ones so they lined them up outside and I bought the second to last one - feeling v pleased with myself
    Last edited by Chris25; 21-04-2017 at 1:01 PM. Reason: shamed by the grammar police :D
    • Frith
    • By Frith 20th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 37,313 Thanks
    Frith
    Ooo, I enjoyed the Hygge book (bought mine from Sainsbury's)

Charity shops in Ludlow today - Crowded House CD (for the car) and OS map of the part of Cornwall we'll be staying in on holiday.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Towser
    • By Towser 20th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 1,695 Thanks
    Towser
    I was either particularly stingey or fussy today as I only found two items.
    Tops one for me Mantaray which I like because they do lots of natural fibres and O'Neill T-shirt for hubby.

Is it me or are the charity shops becoming better or is TKMaxx getting worse. I only popped into TKMaxx to find some bras but no luck as they did not stock my size. Oh good I thought then buying off Ebay was not such a bad idea afterall. I checked all the usual things I like to check for in the chazzers and I was disgusted with the quality, man-made fibers, choice, price ect. in TKMaxx. I'm better off with the chazzers. I just wish some chazzers would lay out the stuff like TKMaxx do. Much easier to find.

I thought I would check out the bric a brac too in TKMaxx and they had laid it out as if in a chazzer store. Again I thought I'm better off with the chazzers.

I can only shop in Aldi and the chazzers at the moment apart from Ebay which is for specific things I cannot find.

Do you find this too?
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 20th Apr 17, 10:47 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 22,077 Thanks
    Mirů
    Only found one thing this week...a pair of lightweight, loose-fit, 3/4 trousers in a dark brick colour - great for taking on hols. The make was Maine from Debenhams and they were on the half price rail....£1.25. However, stupidly I threw them in the washer along with some cream sheets. I now have pink sheets! *kicks self*

A couple of my local chazzas have smartened themselves up lately and one now has clothing sorted into colour order and another into size order.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 21st Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 11,278 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    Chris25
    . However, stupidly I threw them in the washer along with some cream sheets. I now have pink sheets! *kicks self*

A couple of my local chazzas have smartened themselves up lately and one now has clothing sorted into colour order and another into size order.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Can you try those little sheets that pick up colour - can't think what they're called! I used them after doing something like that & even though the top had dried, putting it in a short cool wash with one of those sheets brought out some of the bleeding.

A couple of CS near to me have had a little change around - one has someone come in and tart up bits that they haven't sold by gluing decoupage or music sheets onto furniture, or adds crochet or knitted hems, trims etc- does it in the shop & it brings in people to look. Shame they don't have the space to start a class.

The other has changed around the rails and started folding some items rather than hanging them, they've also taken out the window shelving and replaced them with an open shelf unit so you can see right into the shop now. Looks loads brighter in there and just a smallish change has made a huge difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,081Posts Today

6,123Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin