Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 299
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 13th Apr 17, 10:16 PM
    • 10,286 Posts
    • 18,921 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Just had to mention this as I saw the discussion about seeing stuff you have donated on sale- I gave 4 huge bin bags to the BHF a few weeks back as they were the only ones in my area that would collect. I know there was some very good stuff in there- a Quiz maxi dress (one of the ball gown types) worn once, a Hollister t-shirt BNWT are just two things I remember- I happened to be walking past the shop earlier and although it was shut I stopped and looked in the window. Imagine my amazement to see a pair of Superdry silver canvas trainers I had paid £10 for in an outlet (although I had seen them in the Superdry store for £25) which I had worn, although I seem to recall only a few times as they were horrendously uncomfortable but the inner sole was quite worn away- in the window priced at £18!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 14th Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Found DsS a Tresspass waterproof jacket. £2.50 . Perfect timing as he has a three day outdoor activity school trip in May.

And still plenty of £1 bits for DS. He's seven months now and I've got a great hoard of items up to age two :rofl:
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 14th Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    dragonlily
    I have took a massive pile of donations in today (car boot packed full), and had a quick look around whilst I was there.

Made up as got a full bottle of Jo Malone Red Roses bath oil (250ml plastic bottle) for £1.49
    http://www.jomalone.co.uk/product/3612/10014/fragrances/the-collections/light-floral/red-roses/red-roses-bath-oil?gclid=Cj0KEQjw5sHHBRDg5IK6k938j_IBEiQARZBJWnTh NRK_1-uN-AHGYLtYebEQElagLuEbQCctXShsErYaAuBu8P8HAQ&gclsrc=a w.ds&dclid=CI3P1OGgpNMCFasw0wodsV4BDA

Also paid out at £10 for a doll as my daughter really wanted her. She is in perfect condition though, just missing her shoes. At least it is for charity!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Generation-18-inch-Alejandra-Regular/dp/B00U3WUG3Q

x
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 15th Apr 17, 12:07 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Art Deco
    Just had to mention this as I saw the discussion about seeing stuff you have donated on sale- I gave 4 huge bin bags to the BHF a few weeks back as they were the only ones in my area that would collect. I know there was some very good stuff in there- a Quiz maxi dress (one of the ball gown types) worn once, a Hollister t-shirt BNWT are just two things I remember- I happened to be walking past the shop earlier and although it was shut I stopped and looked in the window. Imagine my amazement to see a pair of Superdry silver canvas trainers I had paid £10 for in an outlet (although I had seen them in the Superdry store for £25) which I had worn, although I seem to recall only a few times as they were horrendously uncomfortable but the inner sole was quite worn away- in the window priced at £18!
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    This is why I cant donate to BHF ,I hate to see things with such high price tags, even more than the original price , I would much rather take a few things at a time into town on the bus to one of the smaller chazzers who sell things at a more realistic price, I know they want as much as they can get for the charity but surely selling cheaper would have a better turn over.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 51,936 Thanks
    silvasava
    Art Deco - how I agree I rarely even look in BHF now. I tend to donate to my local hospice as they price realistically and they know what the original prices were likely to be. I bought a beautiful sheath dress (foreign make) the detail and finish on it were superb - for £6. It wasn't even for me but a friend - she loved it luckily!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 17, 8:59 AM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 46,998 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Bought a pair of TU grey leggings, new for £1 from Air Ambulance.

I never cease to be amazed at the good quality of Sainsbury's clothes.

I really bought them for wearing round the house but think I might swop them with my 'going out' Next ones as the TU ones are much nicer quality.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 17, 3:37 PM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 46,998 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Forgot this bargain from yesterday:
    A 'looks like new' copy of Gone With The Wind for 75p from the Hospice shop.
    900+ pages of sheer indulgence.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 15th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 12,722 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    Chris25
    found a lovely triple dressing table mirror - like new, £12.50.
    It's from Next & similar to this one - I think it may have been part of a set & someone only wanted the dressing table

http://www.next.co.uk/g501218s9#800676
    Last edited by Chris25; 15-04-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 15th Apr 17, 7:00 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    I visit my local charity shops fairly regularly and have occasionally wondered why I've never seen some of the nicer items I've donated on sale. Either they've been sold quickly, or .......dare I ask this question..... do the volunteers serving in the shop get first offer on any donated items?

I ask this, not because I mind if volunteers get first offers, but I would be very upset if they weren't paying the same price for them that they would be pricing them up for members of the general public.

Can anybody who's ever volunteered in a charity shop share what the policy is on this?
    Originally posted by Primrose
    A few years ago we took seven bin liners full of items (decent stuff, not tat) plus a few bigger items to one of our local charity shops. We are signed up to gift aid and had a letter around a year later saying 'Thank you for your donations, they raised a total of 70p for charity of which gift aid is xxx'.

I will admit I always wondered what happened to the rest of it - I like to hope they just forgot to mark most of it as a gift aid donation - but I do wonder, especially as there was a full bin bag of my husband's designer clothing amongst it I don't believe for a second that they only got 70p for everything.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 12,722 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    Chris25
    A few years ago we took seven bin liners full of items (decent stuff, not tat) plus a few bigger items to one of our local charity shops. We are signed up to gift aid and had a letter around a year later saying 'Thank you for your donations, they raised a total of 70p for charity of which gift aid is xxx'.

I will admit I always wondered what happened to the rest of it - I like to hope they just forgot to mark most of it as a gift aid donation - but I do wonder, especially as there was a full bin bag of my husband's designer clothing amongst it I don't believe for a second that they only got 70p for everything.
    Originally posted by KitKatMum2
    Lets hope they did just forget to mark them as Gift Aided. I must admit, I've sometimes wondered why they haven't received a higher Gift Aid amount when I've handed in a a particularly nice/expensive item but then I suppose if it doesn't sell they might move it around the shops or reduce it, thereby lowering the amount of Gift Aid. On the whole, I've been happy to get the quarterly emails letting me know how much they've manage to raise.

I have a friend who volunteers in an Oxfam & they are allowed first pickings but must pay the going rate. I have another who helps in a small local shop and they can take things with a 10% discount - but I think they can more or less price them at whatever they think - and I know of others in there who have taken home stuff to try and haven't returned it for two weeks! I'd like to think they haven't worn it then brought it back but a lot of other people might have had the chance to buy that article in that two weeks - especially in the run up to Christmas when every day closer to Christmas, it's more likely to stay on the shelf because folk have already bought what they want or don't have the time to go CS shopping.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 16th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 10,286 Posts
    • 18,921 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Because I live quite rurally, I wouldn't have chosen to donate to BHF but they were the only charity who would collect from where I live I'm disabled so taking anything bigger than a small bag on the bus is totally out of the question- I had to get my OH to carry them downstairs. If we had taken them to the local charity shop they're all in a precinct and the closest parking is about a mile away so that wouldn't even be possible. OH is fit and strong but he would have had to dragged one bag at a time for a mile then come back four times! Just not practical at all. I had hoped that there would be another charity but there wasn't.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • butterfly2001
    • By butterfly2001 16th Apr 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    butterfly2001

Got a beach dress for next holiday. I apologise for the photo size! It has straps from the middle that tie around neck but it made me look very big so I tied them around the back instead, I think it looks okay and should do for a holiday. I tried hunting to find it and it's original cost but no luck just similar versions. I got it for £4.99 and it's by Melissa Odabash.
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 46,998 Thanks
    Pollycat
    http://www.odabash.com/shop/beachwear/beach-dresses#!/limit=8

Pretty similar - priced at £300.

Although this one from JD Williams is in the sale at £16 from £36.

• Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 17th Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Art Deco

Got a beach dress for next holiday. I apologise for the photo size! It has straps from the middle that tie around neck but it made me look very big so I tied them around the back instead, I think it looks okay and should do for a holiday. I tried hunting to find it and it's original cost but no luck just similar versions. I got it for £4.99 and it's by Melissa Odabash.
    Originally posted by butterfly2001
    Lovely dress , never heard of that designer so had to google her sad life I lead , its exciting though when you get a great bargain!! I wish that I could just except a compliment when someone gives me one without having to say "charity shop only a pound".
    • butterfly2001
    • By butterfly2001 17th Apr 17, 12:22 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    butterfly2001
    I know the feeling you almost feel guilty saying its from a charity shop! As long as the quality is good then why not though, it's taken me ages to find something I like but I always find the hunt worth it
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!

• Miró
    • By Miró 17th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 5,488 Posts
    • 22,963 Thanks
    Miró
    Because I live quite rurally, I wouldn't have chosen to donate to BHF but they were the only charity who would collect from where I live I'm disabled so taking anything bigger than a small bag on the bus is totally out of the question- I had to get my OH to carry them downstairs. If we had taken them to the local charity shop they're all in a precinct and the closest parking is about a mile away so that wouldn't even be possible. OH is fit and strong but he would have had to dragged one bag at a time for a mile then come back four times! Just not practical at all. I had hoped that there would be another charity but there wasn't.
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    I too struggle to get my donations to the charity shops on my own. Fortunately I have a very kind friend who lives in an olde worlde market town about 40 miles away and he takes my stuff and drops it into any of the four chazza shops round the market square where you can park easily on non market days. I also like the fact that I am not likely to see my donated goods again in the shops I visit, (I have been known to unknowingly buy back my own items in the past!)
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 17th Apr 17, 1:50 PM
    • 7,803 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    Primrose
    My OH, who is well known for his reluctance to dispose of anything, once bought back one of his own shirts from a local charity shop ! I had done some discreet decluttering of his wardrobe on his behalf, including one shirt I particularly disliked. He bought it on the basis that he would have a replacement for that one when it eventually wore out! Serves me right I suppose ! He never did twig that the original shirt had disappeared.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 17th Apr 17, 2:09 PM
    • 12,722 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    Chris25
    My OH, who is well known for his reluctance to dispose of anything, once bought back one of his own shirts from a local charity shop ! I had done some discreet decluttering of his wardrobe on his behalf, including one shirt I particularly disliked. He bought it on the basis that he would have a replacement for that one when it eventually wore out! Serves me right I suppose ! He never did twig that the original shirt had disappeared.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I came home one day to say that I'd been to the local CS & discovered that someone had the same as me in books - bought several as I didn't know where my copies were. My neighbour was having a cuppa with my mum and couldn't stop laughing.

Penny dropped when I found out that they were my copies as my mum had taken into the CS a couple of days before!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 18th Apr 17, 1:11 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Lucy5781

I never cease to be amazed at the good quality of Sainsbury's clothes.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I have several TU cardigans all from CS that I love, they're brilliant.

Bargain this week, £1 for a Next fleece dressing gown for DS 9-12months. Dark blue with 'rainbow stars' as DsS put it
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 18th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    There's been slim pickings in my local Charity shop this year, I've bought nothing at all in the way of second hand goods. However last week, at my local SCOPE, I bought a brand new looking copy of Nigella Lawson's How to Eat for £1, and two rugby league autobiographies for £1 each. The autobiographies (once I got them home) are really foisty smelling, but they were only a £1 each, and I've found rugby league books to be quite expensive when buying brand new from Amazon etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,947Posts Today

7,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin