Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 294
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 19th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    dragonlily
    This week:

- A few books from the hospice shop - 4 for £1
    - Cath Kidston Billy Charm Neclace BNIB 99p - was a bit shocked, as picked it up for my daughter because she liked the little dog charm, and then when we got home noticed on the label it had a £30 price tag as is silver.
    - Mermaid plaster mould kit also new in box 99p (my daughter has loved doing that this weekend)

Now I need to try and get back this week as have a boot full of donations to take in, as have been continuing my clear out!

x
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 20th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Several £1 tops - New Look maroon short sleeve top, black & white peplum top, Oasis black capped sleeve top with flowers on the shoulders & a TU flowery t-shirt.

A Laura Ashley flowery peasant top for £3.50, a navy & white striped 3/4 sleeve top for £2 & a red vintage-style photo frame for £1.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 20th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    DianneB
    Jaeger blouse/tunic in a sploggy green and cream with green trim £2 much nicer than it sounds!! Hardback books including 'A life in Ruins' 3 for a £1
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 21st Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Went into my local ageuk shop and picked up a vintage design biscuit tin for £2.49, looked on the bottom and it has a £9.50 price ticket from M&S. It is now sitting pride of place on my kitchen window with my other collectable tins. In the RSPCA shop in poole I picked up a glass lemon squeezer for 49p, I have been looking for months for one as I couldn't find one in any shops. So chuffed
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017
    Disabled and fabulous darlings!
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    £2 savers club 2017 no 32
    Sealed pot challenge #040
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,982 Thanks
    Pollycat
    On Saturday I bought 4 jigsaws - 2 for £1.

And yesterday I spotted a game of 'shut the box'.
    https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/games/shut-the-box

Cardboard box is a bit faded but the wooden box and baize look unused.

We used to play in our local pub over 30 years ago and it's a good game to teach small children to count.
    I'm going to give it to my friend to play with his grand-daughter.

To go with it I bought a jigsaw - 2 Renoir paintings each 1000 pieces.
    I've not looked inside it yet so I don't know if they have been kept separate or are all jumbled up.
    £1 for both the jigsaws and the game from Air Ambulance.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 22nd Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    purpleybat
    was in north middx hospital today with my dad sorting his treatment plan when the tiny charity shop attached to the cancer unit caught my eye.
    in it I found 2 wasjig jigsaws, which I love, for the princely sum of £1 each! I thought that was far too cheap so donated the other £4 in my purse. I think I still got a bargain.
    has spurred me on to sort some suitable stuff to take with me on Monday, I have jigsaws, books and dvds. I just better make sure I don't swamp them in stuff, I didn't see any storage, but I can ask them about that next week.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,982 Thanks
    Pollycat
    To go with it I bought a jigsaw - 2 Renoir paintings each 1000 pieces.
    I've not looked inside it yet so I don't know if they have been kept separate or are all jumbled up.
    £1 for both the jigsaws and the game from Air Ambulance.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Well, yes they have been kept separate, each in a ziplock bag.
    There was another bag inside each ziplock which appears to contain all the edge pieces so someone's gone to a lot of trouble - but I'm not going to cheat.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 23rd Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,939 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    ... a vintage design biscuit tin for £2.49, looked on the bottom and it has a £9.50 price ticket from M&S.
    Originally posted by Treasurequeen
    Did the M&S price include the biscuits?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,982 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Bought 2 more jigsaws from my favourite Air Ambulance shop.
    One is of Bodiam Castle, lots of sky and reflection - still sealed.
    The other is a place in France, lovely harbour with boats and colourful houses - the pieces are still sealed in their plastic bag.
    2 for £1.00.

Plus a lovely East jersey dress in navy with maroon and beige shapes on.
    3/4 sleeves and similar to this :
    http://www.east.co.uk/ramani-print-dress-green/?src=googlefeed

so probably around £90.
    £1.00

Ready to go in the wash, will decide if I'm going to shorten it or leave it as it is.
    It's really swishy but will depend what it looks like with my navy chelsea boots.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 25th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 22,796 Thanks
    Miró
    Love the East dress Pollycat! What a bargain for £1

Just one useful, rather than exciting, find this week - a jersey, smocky top with a pointy hem in a sort of bluebell blue shade, brand new, on the reduced to £1 rail
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 25th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7,686 Posts
    • 25,832 Thanks
    Primrose
    Three large melamine tea trays for £6.
    I am just starting the beginning of another sowing season for my veg plot and these trays will be ideal as a bulk drip tray for all my young germinating pots of tomatoes, courgettes, cucumber etc on my wide bay window sill.

One year I made the mistake of using a large metal tea tray with the unfortunate result that of course the pots leaked when they were watered, and the rust which accumulated on the tray, even with a plastic bag on top of it, damaged the wooden white paintwork on the window sill. I had a repainting job to do as a result so that is one mistake I won't make again! One very happy bunny here - problem now solved, and on sunny days I can easily take the trays out onto the patio to harden the young plants off.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 25th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I've found an absolute gem of an antique charity shop thanks to recommendation from a friend. My recent bargain of a Tiffany glass & antique brass up lighter lamp for £28 (retail new for up to £120!) came from there.

And today I popped in to find a bureau desk for £30!

It needs a bit of TLC but it has carved spindles for legs, lovely ornate brass pull handles and floral carvings on the front & corners. Been looking for one for OH for ages but even second-hand they're usually £100+ for plain ones in not great condition. A light sand, re-varnish and some brasso on the handles and it'll look a treat! I'm very pleased as it finishes off my hallway nicely.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 25th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 7,939 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Wooden pepper grinder, £4.95. From the size of it it may have had a previous existence in a pizzaland restaurant.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 25th Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    After a few weeks of finding nothing - a visit to the Mind CS sale this morning gave me two lovely £1 bargains - a V-neck Per Una T-shirt in blues and purples and a sleeveless tunic dress in dark blue leopard print. Not spectacular but I know I will get a lot of wear from both
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 26th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 51,010 Thanks
    silvasava
    Not been looking much for ages as I've been clearing out more but while we were away nipped in to St Barnabas Hospice shop & got a beautiful Georgette scarf in shades of royal blue and emerald green for 2.99. Perfect with two of my jackets - really gives them a lift.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 23,575 Posts
    • 49,345 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Not been looking much for ages as I've been clearing out more but while we were away nipped in to St Barnabas Hospice shop & got a beautiful Georgette scarf in shades of royal blue and emerald green for 2.99. Perfect with two of my jackets - really gives them a lift.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Sounds like you will get a lot of wear out of it!

Interesting what our chazzer thresholds are! I'd have to really love a scarf to pay more than £1 for it in a chaz, and have in the past. If you have a similar threshold to me then this is a scarf that's going to spark joy every time you think about it
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 29th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 4,122 Posts
    • 28,399 Thanks
    tessie bear
    some good stuff on here i went to our local charity shop today first time since before christmas and i got a lovely monsoon maxi in a paisley type print £4.99....a joules gilet bright pink £4.99 and on the half price rail a lovely fatface grey parker £3.50....well chuffed
    on the brink...
    • MoaningMyrtle
    • By MoaningMyrtle 29th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    MoaningMyrtle
    A solitary ball of Noro wool for 50p. Nigel Slaters 'real fast puddings' for 50p.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 18,042 Posts
    • 45,982 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Love the East dress Pollycat! What a bargain for £1
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Thanks.
    Still undecided whether to shorten it, I'm quite short so not sure if I can pull it off.
    But I am a bit 'off-the-wall' in my dress sense so I guess if I feel confident in it, it'll be OK.

i got a lovely monsoon maxi in a paisley type print £4.99....a joules gilet bright pink £4.99 and on the half price rail a lovely fatface grey parker £3.50....well chuffed
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Well done , these are among my favourite makes, always good quality.
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 30th Mar 17, 3:01 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    I got a book for £1.50 and a bag for £3.99. The kitten was not part of the bargain

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,296Posts Today

8,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin