Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 293
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 9th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    Art Deco
    Thought it was going to be a week of slim pickings in the charity shops till today......

Bright pink M & S long sleeved T-shirt £1 from the Community Shop

Mink M & S crocheted stylee sweater, as new, (perfect shade to match recently acquired trousers), £2.99 in BHF shop

and my star buy

Ted Baker electric blue wiggle dress with a neckline embellished with beads & sparkly stones, £12 as new from the Sue Ryder shop. Just Googled the dress to find it had an RRP of £285 and is currently listed on FleaBay for £175! So now I have a dilemma...do I try to sell my dress or do I keep it knowing I am unlikely to have many opportunities to wear it?

(Hope it's OK to post a link to the listed dress)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ted-Baker-Womens-Size-8-Blue-Embelished-Midi-Dress-RRP-285/172541118937?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D20140107083358%26meid%3D6eacb0add94b46e2a57835e78 2a21042%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D2 71794183536

Also...many thanks for your input everyone on the 'copy Chanel Bag being sold in a chazza' situation....some very interesting views!

Also....I have started my big wardrobe clear-out...one down and five more to go...two sacks of suits, short jackets, handbags and shoes to be donated.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Wow what a great find, it always makes me wonder why people buy such expensive items and just give them away I know its helping a charity but i cant get my head around it, how the other half live!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 16,598 Posts
    • 41,623 Thanks
    Pollycat
    and my star buy

Ted Baker electric blue wiggle dress with a neckline embellished with beads & sparkly stones, £12 as new from the Sue Ryder shop. Just Googled the dress to find it had an RRP of £285 and is currently listed on FleaBay for £175! So now I have a dilemma...do I try to sell my dress or do I keep it knowing I am unlikely to have many opportunities to wear it?

(Hope it's OK to post a link to the listed dress)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ted-Baker-Womens-Size-8-Blue-Embelished-Midi-Dress-RRP-285/172541118937?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D20140107083358%26meid%3D6eacb0add94b46e2a57835e78 2a21042%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D2 71794183536
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Star buy? Star buy?

That must be the understatement of the thread!

Followed the link, it looks fab and if you've the figure for it (I think you have) it's a hard call.

But.....if you're not likely to wear it.......

Anyways, I bought 2 more jigsaws, 850 pieces of Noah's Ark still in cellophane wrapping and a 500 piece Great Wall of China (that we've walked on) that says 'complete'.
    2 for £1.00
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 6,761 Posts
    • 17,859 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Not my find (sharp eyed husband) but youngest Just So amused by his crocodile onesie, with toe claws and vehement teeth (hood lined red) - still with tags £2.50.
    That I have a photo of him in it for granny? Splendid!
    That it strongly reminds me of their Nightrompers (which also had feet) over a decade ago? Priceless...
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 12th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Potternerd
    That dress looks fabulous!
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 13th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    over the weekend got a soap and glory birthday washes set for £2 brand new, a soap dish with the vintage maison price sticker still on at £6 paid £1. also some LP's for my dad, 5 for £2.25( frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis etc) Pink loungewear jumper in the sale £1.75.
    Dd got 2 new books 70p each

Good day had by all
    365 day penny challenge - £55.65/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £375.63/£1000 Stage 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 13th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 9,890 Posts
    • 15,457 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Box of three 50g tubes of Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream for £2.49. Just checked online and the individual tubes are priced at £10 each!

It's my reward, as I got a box of six 30cl tubes in January for £3, and gave them to my sister as she liked them and it was her birthday .

Also a pair of Craghoppers fleece lined trousers for £3. Perfect fit, lovely and cosy, just what I need for the colder days, which don't seem to be at an end yet!
    Last edited by Bogof_Babe; 13-03-2017 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Changed centilitres to grams, having checked packaging
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    • 22,581 Posts
    • 46,707 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I found myself in an old haunt today and ended up having a chazzer blow-out! My haul was 3 lovely dresses, a light summer coat and a pretty t-shirt the LO; and 7 books, a mug and a pretty cushion for myself. Total: £9.25.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 16,598 Posts
    • 41,623 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Good haul, VFM.

Posters who know me will possibly know my love of jersey dresses.
    Bought a lovely TU (I know it's not a premium make but I'd match it for quality with Monsoon, M&S etc any day) dress (tunic on most people as I'm vertically challenged) in navy & dark pink ditsy flower print.
    From a city charity shop, £2.99.
    Looks fab with navy opaque tights and my Clarks navy Chelsea boots.
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 14th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Fonque
    I need ti start stocking up on household items as I may be moving in a flat soon.I popped into a CS and
    picked up a fabulous (Pearsons of Chesterfield) stoneware casserole dish with lid, in immaculate condition, for the grand total of £2.50.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 15th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 19,056 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    My best buy yesterday in Cancer Research was some Christmas cards!!! (I know I know, not very seasonal!) £2.99 marked price and they were selling them off for 79p! I got three packs for my Xmas stash! I wasn't the only one either as another lady saw me looking at them and picked up three packs as well!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 16th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    I went looking for a lightweight summer coat for my daughter as it was quite warm earlier in the week and she was getting too hot in her winter one. I found her a lovely Blue Zoo coat (Debenhams brand) for £2.99 and in the same shop a gorgeous little Ted Baker jacket for my son for £3.50. Very pleased
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 47,452 Thanks
    silvasava
    Away at the weekend for a family celebration and I need two outfits,one for Friday & one for Saturday. I sorted them yesterday and realised that both have come from CS shops and a pair of shoes that match one dress perfectly were a fleabay buy. I dont think I'd spent more than £15.00 on the lot .....happy bunny
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 16th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Not my find (sharp eyed husband) but youngest Just So amused by his crocodile onesie, with toe claws and vehement teeth (hood lined red) - still with tags £2.50.
    That I have a photo of him in it for granny? Splendid!
    That it strongly reminds me of their Nightrompers (which also had feet) over a decade ago? Priceless...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I want a crocodile onesie. Do you think them make them in extra tall for middle aged ladies?
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 16th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    Away at the weekend for a family celebration and I need two outfits,one for Friday & one for Saturday. I sorted them yesterday and realised that both have come from CS shops and a pair of shoes that match one dress perfectly were a fleabay buy. I dont think I'd spent more than £15.00 on the lot .....happy bunny
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Fab Funnily enough at our last big family gathering, I realised both of my kids were kitted out in all charity shop, with the exception of my daughter's shoes which were from a supermarket, the rest of their outfits came to £4.70! DD's dress was £1.50, cardi 50p and son's trousers 95p and shirt £1.75 all from the local hospice shop if I recall correctly.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 16th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Just picked up a lightweight, kimono style cover up for the summer.

I have a minimalist wardrobe and so I was pleased to find a top in blue and pink which fits in with my capsule wardrobe colour scheme.

Also, picked up 4 novels too.

Total cost £11.50.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 17th Mar 17, 12:47 AM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 6,333 Thanks
    janb5
    Very lucky today and got a Bush luxury FP023 food processor( includes liquidiser)complete with all its tools ( £15)+ some vintage knitting patterns. Also found an Russell Hobbs iron£4 with a stained plate but now cleaned.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 16,598 Posts
    • 41,623 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I need ti start stocking up on household items as I may be moving in a flat soon.I popped into a CS and
    picked up a fabulous (Pearsons of Chesterfield) stoneware casserole dish with lid, in immaculate condition, for the grand total of £2.50.
    Originally posted by Fonque
    Really good quality stuff.
    I've got a few bits from our local flea market.
    The pottery was started back in the early 1800s.

Originally posted by silvasava
    Have a great weekend, I'm sure you'll look fabulous.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 17th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 22,220 Thanks
    Miró
    About a year ago I mislaid my favourite old, soft, comfy eye mask. Turned the house upside down looking for it but concluded that I must have left it behind in a hotel....so cross with myself! Started looking around for a new one but all I could find was horrid, lurid, red satin ones with 'Do not disturb' or similar written on them so I gave up. Today I was idly looking through the 50p 'odds & ends' basket in the community charity shop when I spotted a small grey John Lewis box. I opened it and there nestled in tissue paper was a brand new, knitted cashmere eye mask in a soft grey colour with a pale pink, real silk lining - all edged with a pink & grey striped silk ribbon. Just stunning and perfect for my needs...I am so pleased with my 50p bargain! Also, in the same shop I found an M & S B/N pencil skirt in a soft peachy coloured tweed fabric with exposed silver zips on the pockets and at the back....it was priced at £3 last week but today it was on the 'reduced to £1' rail so I just had to buy it....fits well too
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    Floss
    I found a small Pyrex dish in the Gaiety design, white with black snowflakes, and a small square Pyrosil frying pan, both in perfect condition, for £2 each. I also found 2 uplighter central light shades to suit our hall & landing for £3 each, all at our local hospice shop.
    • pws52
    • By pws52 18th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    pws52
    Last week I decided that I need some hamper type baskets to store craft stuff. As I was leaving a charity shop I spied a picnic basket tucked away under a shelf....brand new, good size.....£5 paid and home it came with me! Just need to find a few more!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,527Posts Today

6,028Users online

Martin's Twitter