IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Where to buy Malaria Tablets?
Views: 140,275
# 1
Rashid
Old 23-02-2007, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Where to buy Malaria Tablets?

Hi

I have just been quoted £80 per person for malria tablets from Boots for 8 weeks supply, is there anywher cheaper?

Thanks
Titch
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
beautifulgorgeous
Old 23-02-2007, 6:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I got some online for my dd when she went to India for about 14 quid with freepost. I can`t remember which site but I googled and went with the one that gave me advise to which ones to take for the area she visited.
# 3
Eiteews
Old 23-02-2007, 6:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Travelpharm are very reasonable and also have a country list which recommends the best type of tablet for your destination. Is this the one you meant beautifulgorgeous?

www.travelpharm.com
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
# 4
Nile
Old 23-02-2007, 7:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hello Rashid

I'll move your thread to the 'Health & Beauty' board, where it should get more responses.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

Regards

Nile
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
# 5
livinginhope
Old 23-02-2007, 8:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We got ours on prescription and only paid the prescription fee,why would you have to buy them?
Debt at highest £107k
Debt as of Nov 11 £90k
Sorting debt thanks to DMP with Payplan 52 years
Proud to be dealing with my debts
# 6
pboae
Old 23-02-2007, 9:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Where are you going? It's usually cheaper to buy them when you get there. I buy enough to take before I go and a few days extra, then buy the rest when I arrive for a fraction of the price.

Livinginhope: Don't know how you managed that, AFAIK the NHS don't fund them.
# 7
Bettyboop
Old 23-02-2007, 9:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

livinginhope, I asked my doctor the same question and I was told that because malaria is non existent here the NHS don't see why it should be provided for just a prescription cost. I went to Africa with my three-year old last year in May and I paid about £80.00 at Boots for both of. You do get alternitives but if you don't have an immunity (I grew up there but have been here for 6 years so took them anyway) they don't reccommend alternatives.

Good Luck.
# 8
shokadelika
Old 23-02-2007, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Google Catnip Oil its the best mozzie killer repells everything cheap and no side effects.
Are U getting enough Vitamin D in your life!?
# 9
Sugar Coated Owl
Old 24-02-2007, 11:54 PM

Which malaria tablets are they? Malarone? Is it a private prescription that you've got? If so, I think Tesco Pharmacy do them quite cheap.
--><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
# 10
Sam_26
Old 25-02-2007, 6:25 PM
Has MSE’s permission to post for company
MoneySaving Stalwart

We are happy to provide a quote for you.

We charge £2.15 per tablet for Malarone Tablets

£20 for the Paludrine/Avloclor (7 week pack)

£10 for Doxycycline (7 week pack)

All these need a private prescription.

PM for more details
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam_26 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
livinginhope
Old 26-02-2007, 1:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry if my post has mislead anyone,we got ours on prescription when we went to Egypt a few years ago,obviously things have changed since then and they are now no longer available.
LIH
Debt at highest £107k
Debt as of Nov 11 £90k
Sorting debt thanks to DMP with Payplan 52 years
Proud to be dealing with my debts
# 12
mr_rush
Old 27-02-2007, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

but if you don't have an immunity
a ridiculous and dangerous thing to think - no one has immunity from malaria
The Following User Says Thank You to mr_rush For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
gingercordial
Old 27-02-2007, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The price will very much depend on WHICH malaria tablets you are taking. There are four main types: lariam, malarone, doxycycline (brand names include vibramycin) and the proguanil/choloroquine combination (brand names include avloclor and paludrine).

The p/c combination is usually very cheap BUT malaria is resistant to it in a lot of countries so your doctor may have advised you to take one of the others, which are all more expensive but much more effective in lots of countries. Do not ignore his advice on this just because p/c is cheaper!

Bettyboop is right, the NHS won't pay as we don't need malaria tablets to live in the UK.

Depending on where you're going you MAY be able to buy the tablets more cheaply when you get to your destination, but again depends on which ones you are meant to take. I know you can buy doxycycline quite cheaply over the counter in Thailand (in Boots!) but not malarone or lariam as they are still prescription-only even in Asia. However some types of malaria tablets need to be started well before you go on your holiday, and also there's a chance you might not be able to get them or might be sold fake tablets (I wouldn't buy them off the internet here for the same reason).

Really the only way to do this, for the sake of your health, is to take this as a necessary cost of your holiday (like flights and hotels) and buy them here. Sorry! If it helps I paid approx £1/tablet for malarone at my local (north London) pharmacy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingercordial For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lunatic
Old 21-08-2007, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have heard that tesco is cheap to buy malarone but do not know how! I have looked on the internet and tesco doesn't appear to have a pharmacy! Any help would be greatly appreiciated as am going to mombassa in 7 weeks and there are 8 of us that have been recommended to take malarone. Have been quoted £45 each for a 24tablet course from a local pharmacy, don't know if i can get them cheaper or if this is a good price? Please help!!
# 15
lynzpower
Old 25-08-2007, 12:01 PM

lunatic- large tesco extras have a pharmacy- maybe ask there?
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
# 16
lynzpower
Old 25-08-2007, 12:52 PM

these are the prices Ive found having hunted them out - FOR MALARONE

2.10 per tablet - travelpharm .com
2.13 per tablet - chemist direct.co.uk
20.00 per box of 12- equalling 1.66 per tablet, from interhealth.org.uk ( not clear if you have to be a member to get them at this price?) ( only 3 boxes per person at this rate)
stratford-pharmacy.co.uk - 1.99 per tablet
tesco ( i rang my local one, in london e11) definately NOT the cheapest, at 50.42 for my course ( 22 tabs) 2.91 per tablet, although she said the mor3e you buy the cheaper it is....
asda instore - rang them they quoted me 50.42 - 2.91 per tablet
local boots quoted me- 66 for 24. 2.75 per tablet
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
This Ive come to know...
The Following User Says Thank You to lynzpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
TeaBoy
Old 31-08-2007, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i've been prescribed 40x Avloclor and 200x Paludrine for first part of my trip. anyone know how much ii'm likely to be charged for these when i go to the pharmacy? and does it vary depending on where i go?

also i'm on JSA. will that get me any money off?
i know my friend used his HC2 form to blag his for free but think he got lucky.
# 18
melancholly
Old 31-08-2007, 5:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaBoy View Post
i've been prescribed 40x Avloclor and 200x Paludrine for first part of my trip. anyone know how much ii'm likely to be charged for these when i go to the pharmacy? and does it vary depending on where i go?

also i'm on JSA. will that get me any money off?
i know my friend used his HC2 form to blag his for free but think he got lucky.
they should be quite cheap as they are very standard drugs to take.

i really doubt that you can get a discount becuse of JSA - the whole reason who can't get things like this on the NHS is because going away to exotic places that require malaria tablets is a luxury and not a necessity. the logic is that if you can afford the trip, you can afford the medication too - which i think is entirely fair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to melancholly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
taketwo
Old 31-08-2007, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I searched for the cheapest place for Malarone a couple of months ago, and found the cheapest place was boots online
# 20
lynzpower
Old 31-08-2007, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taketwo View Post
I searched for the cheapest place for Malarone a couple of months ago, and found the cheapest place was boots online
TAKETWO - iVE JUST SEARCHED ON boots online, and they dont seem to stock it :confused:
This Ive come to know...