Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,149Posts
    • 6,641Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 37
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Forgot to add a £5 spend on loo roll and bread the other day - total now £33.32 (but I've sent DH to the shops on his way home for milk, bread and grapes....)
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 16th Nov 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Oh what wonderful news about your friend being given the all clear! Life isnít sometimes amazing isnít it

Well done on your chunky OP and reaching pay out on Yougov....Iíve got £3 odd left before I hit my first pay out. Itchingly close

Sorry to hear you had to turn down Work but I think you did the right thing, best to take some time to rest & heal now rather than rushing back and struggling more.
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £2348.20/ £2150 106%. New target £2500 93.9%
    Last 3 months- Oct: £179.60 Nov: £160.33 Dec: £52.33

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Kitten - I think you're right about work, and it seems like I've probably got plenty of my own work to be getting on with anyway at the moment (at last!).

Feeling much better today than I have in a couple of days (mentally as well as physically) - popped out to Sains this morning and popping round to see Dad for a cuppa when he gets in (he needs my opinion on grey paint - he has a million samples on his bedroom wall!).

MS things:
    * Shopping spends now at £50.78, but stocked up on a few bits that will keep us going for a while longer
    * Reached SB daily goal - two surveys done
    * MySurvey survey completed - hardly ever do these so was pleasantly surprised to find I've got enough points to claim a £3 Am/Starbucks voucher
    * DH fixed the S&S issues we've been having
    * PA - 2 surveys, £1.70 earned
    * Lots of work coming in

Gratitudes:
    * A good day today, long may it continue!
    * Ginger kitty is snuggled up next to me
    * May have bought a cheeky croissant in Sains this morning.... was totally worth it though!
    * Seeing the BIL, his partner and niece on Sunday
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds good, madvix - and that number of survey sites is very determined of you, congratulations! I've done yougov for a million years, but SB is so bitty, it's quite difficult to get a routine going ...

Ginger kitty snuggled up to you
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    michelle09
    Cat snuggles are the best snuggles! I have a black one using me as a bed right now.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 21st Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Cat snuggles are the best

KC, I tend to get bored with survey sites after a while, so work my way round in a circle, never closing the account, just in case! (VO and YSP are the two exceptions to that rule, both accounts closed)

Just a quick update as about to lose power - electrician is here to do circuit board, yay!

Super busy few days, will update properly later.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • try harder
    • By try harder 22nd Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    try harder
    So glad to hear that you are feeling better than you did but dont work too hard take some time to rest and relax too
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks TH. Unfortunately feeling better meant that I got carried away (walking around at normal speeds, how dare I?) and by Saturday lunchtime was not feeling so good again. So I am... taking it easy... Nothing new there. I do feel that I am beginning to feel better overall though, so will continue with the gradual improvements.

Had a busy Sunday and Monday - long days, although fortunately for me, mostly spent sitting down. Saw BIL and family on Sunday (in Nottinghamshire) and went to France for the day on Monday (got back about 8.30pm from Notts to find we couldn't find DH's passport.... a very stressful 45 mins later, having nearly given up, we found it).

Sunday was fine on the spending front. DH treated me to breakfast at an American diner on the way up (£12) - but it was something we'd been meaning to try for a while. BIL cooked a lovely roast, so we were sorted for the rest of the day.

On Monday, however, spending got a little bit out of control. On Saturday DH had tried to replace something on our more reliable car and had failed due to a missing part, so we decided to invite the in-laws (to drive!). This meant we paid for lunch and breakfast pastries, as well as spending in the hypermarket. FIL gave us 30 euros, so we'll keep that for the wedding we're going to in Ireland next year, but we still spent rather more than I'd've liked. Some of it we'll pay for from the treat fund, but some of the hypermarket spends will have to be accounted for as part of the food budget.

MS things:
    * SBs Swago complete, nearly at payout again there
    * PA survey done
    * VB poll, YG survey done, MS rewards clicked as much as possible
    * £5 credit for Starbucks claimed from MySurvey (not £3 as originally thought)
    * £1 £co claimed
    * Transferred £5.90 reward from Santa a/c to savings
    * Paid electrician last instalment yesterday - this has already been accounted for in my calculations, but it is nice to get it settled

Gratitudes:
    * Long recuperative nap yesterday afternoon.
    * Cinema tonight for DH's birthday (next Monday, but we've got to go when it's 241 - and total cost for two about £7 due to DH's work discount on cinema tickets too )
    * Lots of yummy food from France - Port Salut, tarte tatin, brioche, lebkuchen.... mmm
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Nov 17, 9:54 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The gratitudes sound great especially the tarte tatin
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Nov 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    The tarte tatin is good... except I didn't think when buying it - the French probably put lard in their pastry still I'm eating in (almost) ignorant bliss...

Thor was great last night - we think it's the most humorous yet of the Marvel films (not that we've seen all of them). And because it was on at a sensible time we ate before we went and so didn't need any snacks (and I didn't fall asleep!).

Took the cats for their annual check up and boosters last night too. £100 spent, but all budgeted for.

Have had veg box delivered today and think we'll have roasted veg and pasta for dinner tonight - there's some parsnips and squash that need using up from last week. I have done a meal plan, but am using it very loosely.

Beginning to think about Christmas presents now and trying to find good value, different experience-based gifts for people. Particularly struggling with the parents of the nieces - what do you get people as an experience with a 1 year old? The child is too young to appreciate much, the adults can't enjoy adult-y things (like the cinema, nothing more exotic!) because they can't go out. I might do some cinema and babysitting vouchers for my sister, but for BIL and partner it's trickier - they don't have a babysitter on hand. We've got a good balance in S&S for vouchers, so will try to use that and other deals. (Christmas presents are budgeted for but anything I don't spend in cash can be transferred to the debt/OP fund.) Hmm... thinking to be done.

MS things:
    * MM survey done - slow-going there, but eventually I'll have another JL voucher.
    * SBs clicks done - search win of 19, doubled with Swago click&spin win, well on my way to daily goal
    * Caught up on comps yesterday
    * Items relisted on ebay
    * Work done.... twiddling thumbs now...

Gratitudes:
    * Good night out last night and looking forward to Paddington next week (the deal with DH's cheap cinema tickets is you have to buy two codes at once, so with Meerkats, that works out at two trips to the cinema!)
    * Cats largely behaved at the vets (ginger kitty goes a bit mental and has to be manhandled!)
    * Sunshine today after the storms of last night. Thinking of those in Lancashire though who've been flooded
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 26th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all!

Feeling very chirpy this morning as I've now felt well for two days and have been managing to do normal stuff at normal speeds (I am still making sure I get plenty of rest in between though). DH and I have even been for a walk in the woods this morning - it was gorgeous!

MS things:
    * Claimed £5 Am voucher from SBs yesterday - will be using towards cats' dry food
    * Bought a voucher for local zoo entry for sister and partner for family present, claimed £10 cinema voucher from S&S to go with this and some babysitting and will get a little something for niece to open - one family done, £20 under budget (£30 under actual cash budget) - saved ~£5 using DH's discount code for zoo voucher too
    * Winnings: I received a book in the post yesterday that I'd won and an email to say I'd won another one. I'll keep the crafty one (some good ideas in it) and will see what the other one is like when it arrives - might make a good Christmas present.
    * Ordered a freebie of dog treats for 'present stealing' game on Christmas day (for the dog!)
    * SBs daily goal met a couple of times in last few days; NV and YG surveys done

Gratitudes:
    * Feeling well enough to get on with things these last few days
    * Lovely walk in the woods this morning
    * The big smile from my niece as she crawled towards me when I arrived at mum's the other day
    * Lasagne last night and leftovers for lunch today

Happy Sunday everyone!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 26th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    This sounds lovely gorgeous image of your niece crawling towards you
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    It's amazing how days pass, despite my best intentions to post every day! DH spent Sunday night being ill, so has only just gone back to work today - it was a rubbish way to spend his birthday!

I'm still feeling okay, although have discovered that I do still have limits on fitness. Have had my referral come through - the appointment is for mid-Feb though, so I am not impressed. I'll be ringing the secretary when my appointment comes through to make it clear I'm happy to have a cancellation.

Work has been quiet the last couple of days and today's I can't seem to access (it's online) - will have to wait until the Americans are up before I can query that though. Am very aware that it's getting colder and without work I can't have the heating on with merry abandon (things aren't that tight, but I don't enjoy spending money on heating!). Have got my thermals and extra socks on today (although as I speak heating is on - it was just too cold!). Sadly my willpower failed on Monday evening - with DH ill and me feeling fairly rubbish I decided we'd have takeaway. As always, the guilt prompts renewed vigour in the money-saving department!

MS things:
    * SBs - lots; VB polls and surveys (payout should be c. £15 now), MM surveys; PA - anything that comes through the inbox basically
    * Comps entered (although enthusiasm is waning a bit at the moment)
    * Am working on Christmas presents with an eye to the budget. Sister's family is sorted; may have a no-present agreement with one BIL (the other was horrified at the thought!); am trying to put together a very low cost hamper for DH's Godparents (I wish we didn't do presents with them, they have no idea of our interests etc., but I can't see a way out - they don't have children and presents are a big thing in DH's family).
    * Trying to use stuff up still, although did do a top up shop yesterday. Think I'm probably over the £75 budget, but need to retrieve the hypermarket receipt and do some calculations.

Gratitudes:
    * Cinema tonight with DH to see Paddington
    * Thermals
    * Mince pie slice
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    Have struggled with motivation to post recently, but then over the last few days I've been busy with work (hooray), so that's my excuse for then.

We had almost no food left in the cupboards, so I've just had a big food delivery - £112 of shopping for £76 with offers and DH's discount. Cupboards and freezer are now super-well stocked and won't need anything (except two bits which are on the Christmas order - going to MiL's) except fresh stuff until mid-Jan at the earliest.

MS things:
    * Faffed excessively with SBs the other day - have sussed a couple of extra ways to earn and claimed another £5 Am voucher
    * PC survey done
    * Bing clicks done - nearly enough for a £10 Pizza voucher
    * Quite a bit of work done and some more still to start - it had been dire recently, so happy to have some!
    * Offers on lots of stuff we'd normally buy from supermarket, so have saved in the long term
    * Christmas cards written so we can hand out as many as possible rather than posting!

Gratitudes:
    * DH back safe and sound from gallivanting around Switzerland and Italy over past two days with work
    * Lots of niece cuddles recently - I'm very popular!
    * Fun day on Sunday making a photo calendar with sis and cousins for my nan
    * Dinner at mum's last night
    * Kitty cuddles as I type (I think he's heard rumours about a cattery visit and is trying to persuade me otherwise!)

Off oop north at the weekend - it won't be cheap but I'll try my best to keep spends down.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 7th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 20,041 Thanks
    Watty1
    In awe of you having stocked cupboards until mid Jan .....
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    themadvix
    It's not all planned out Watty, but as I buy quorn, it's all frozen anyway so it can just sit in the freezer. I'm sure there'll be odd bits I've missed, but my aim is to try to use it all up again before I buy more, like I have done in Nov and Dec. We're not at home for Christmas and will be away for a few days from tomorrow, so there's less to actually cater for too!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 8th Dec 17, 7:17 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    It is good to hear that you are back on form after your illness. I am always impressed with the amount you make on surveys, I just don't have time/find them so tedious zzzzz.
    I have quite finished my Christmas food shopping yet but I have been buying extras every week, so I am hoping I won't need a massive shop Christmas week.
    Hope your trip oop North goes well......wrap up warm- we are expecting snow this weekend brrrr
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 28,166 Posts
    • 155,134 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wonderful stuff!

I buy quorn too, I often try out some of the new lines they bring out, but don't like many of them, or they're too (relatively) expensive, so I often stick with my standbys. Got some in the freezer right now, it's so great as a vegetarian to have something that's cheap and nutritious and easy!
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 8th Dec 17, 8:18 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,754 Thanks
    michelle09
    Looks like you've been busy! I'm not vegetarian, but I love quorn mince. Mostly because I'm super picky about fatty/gristly bits of meat which means buying expensive, or using fake meat.

Has kitty successfully dissuaded you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter