Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,060Posts
    • 5,988Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 27
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 26th May 17, 11:26 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hope you have a lovely time MV! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 30th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks Jess! We did have a lovely time, despite the fact that I wasn't really looking forward to it (I'm not entirely sure why). Bar was free, so only costs were transport and lunch, so not too bad really. Bride and groom looked very happy and we had a great time with old friends.

Sunday was a very lazy day, but we did pop out to local food festival - spent some money, but on things to bring home to eat, rather than snacky bits there. Had a lovely fish pie for lunch yesterday as a result, plus prawns on the BBQ and we've got crayfish tails to enjoy too at some point. We spend very little on food really - rarely have fish and DH very rarely eats meat at home, so I don't begrudge these spends, especially as they were from small businesses (and delicious!).

Yesterday DH's colleague came over to look at my car (it's not been working for a while. He came for free, very generously - we'll give him some beer when it's ready for drinking) - DH and he seem to have sussed the problem and a temporary fix has been applied. Fingers crossed it's problem a not b, as that will be more expensive to fix (although still within car maintenance fund budget). In the afternoon we visited my Nan for her birthday - almost everyone was there (13 of us - it was cramped!) so it was really lovely!

Back to work today, but for a change I feel rested, so that's nice! Freebie cuppa and cake at JL tonight with DH (after he's picked up his glasses hopefully.... at long last.... not impressed with the service at all!).

MS things:
    * Am voucher from surveys came through, so used this for cat food - reduced price by £12, so will transfer to OP fund when CC bill comes through
    * Ebay item sold for £4.71! (I wasn't expecting much more than the 99p starting price) Need to dispatch today
    * S&S and FOTG all done, without forgetting as it was BH
    * Bits listed on ebay and FB

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely weekend all round
    * Plants in garden all looking healthy
    * Plenty of work to get on with
    * Mini date night to look forward to this evening

Have a good day everyone!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,676 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds really good all round! And you've done really well with the selling
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 31st May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Afternoon all,

Spent a lovely morning with two school friends and their two children each - the children were beautifully behaved and it was great to catch up with the friends. I took a flapjack which I baked before I went and they fed me lunch which was great. Also popped to PO beforehand to post a couple of Ebay parcels - another one sold overnight.

MS things:
    * 2x ebay sales dispatched, fees paid and money transferred - £5 to OP fund
    * 1x FB sale, just collected, £3 for OP fund (money in sheep bank for safe keeping)
    * Surveys on VB done, over £14 on there now, which I think will be what pays out
    * PC pre-survey questions done
    * YG survey done
    * FPL checked
    * Bought part of my sister's birthday present last night - reduced from £6 to £3
    * Bought necessary bits in Halfords, used trade card, used NW debit card - so should get cashback via simply rewards and in-store £co cashback (plus trade discount)

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely morning with old friends
    * Clutter out of my house (ebay and FB)
    * Reading 'How to be happy and do everything' by Peter Jones, as per Pearla's recommendation - it's good!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 31st May 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Another long-standing ebay item sold - how weird that they come in threes! Only three items listed now... there must be more to sell somewhere!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 1st Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Have had a super-productive morning this morning - I made a long list of jobs last night (it was good to get them out of my head) and have blitzed through most of them.

I've paid myself and money shuffle has been completed, despite two clients owing me still (one is enjoying half term and it's for a negligible amount (I know she'll pay when she's back) and the other I've chased and hope to be paid today, US time). I'm tempted to pay myself again if the big bill is settled as I think it would mean I could get most of my 'loans' from one place to another straight and actually have some money in my current account this month (not loads, just enough to negate the fear of overdrawnness/be able to pay for things in cash - DH has done a lot of the cash stuff this month).

Mortgage doesn't go out until tomorrow, so checking the balance hasn't been productive!! Between that and the PBs draw, I'm not going to know where to look first tomorrow!

MS things:
    * VB 10p poll and surveys done
    * Claimed £5 Am voucher from SBs (sadly all already accounted for)
    * GFk media use survey done
    * Added a new page on my money spreadsheet to track pension and ISA and (inspired by LadyGnome) new monthly savings categories for more things I have to pay for anyway
    * Bumped FB selling posts (this is tedious, can't they find a way that you can bump the same item in all the places it's listed at once?)
    * Money-saving date night tonight - just going for a drink and a walk (we're having takeaway with friends tomorrow and on a (cheap) jolly Saturday, so it seemed like a good compromise)
    * Meter reads done and submitted

Gratitudes:
    * Date night tonight
    * More Springwatch tonight (I love Springwatch )
    * Sunny, sunny day
    * Strawberries are ripening in the garden (I've resisted temptation so far...)
    * 100% UK veg box has been delivered - loads of delicious looking veg..

... on that note, does anyone know what to do with globe artichokes?!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Mortgage balance this morning: £99,985.80 Sadly no win on the PBs this month (although DH is still to check).
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,676 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Mortgage balance this morning: £99,985.80 Sadly no win on the PBs this month (although DH is still to check).
    Originally posted by themadvix
    you did it!
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks KC Yes, it is much nicer to look at, although it's all rather a lot of money still!!

In more great news, the technical issue that appears to have been stopping the payment from the Ukrainians *seems* to have been resolved; therefore I've been told to expect the payment this week.... We'll see, but there does seem to be reason to the arguments they've put forward, so fingers crossed!

MS news:
    * VB poll and short survey done
    * SBs clicks done
    * £5 FB sale collected (money stashed in sheep bank for safe keeping)
    * Books returned to library without charge (and more borrowed)

Gratitudes:
    * DH has been out at a meeting, so came directly home from that
    * Plumber *finally* coming round tonight re kitchen requirements
    * Takeaway with good friends tonight
    * No Brownies because it's HALF TERM! (Delayed reaction, I know, but it's only really noticeable when I get the Friday night off) (Don't get me wrong, I love doing it, but a break is nice too)

Must get on with making house (esp kitchen) presentable for plumber, it's a disgrace at the moment...
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 4th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Originally posted by themadvix
    That's fantastic news MV! Well done!!
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 5th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ugh - just lost a long post!

Thanks Jess - love the dancing banana!

Had a good weekend, not too expensive. Can't be bothered to write it all out again I'm afraid.

Off to IKEA tonight, for kitchen planning meeting - it could be a very expensive day! Will claim our freebie though

MS things:
    * Sunday was a NSD
    * Used voucher in WR, so only spent £5.99 on food for picnic (£25 transferred across to OP fund for value of voucher - not all spent on picnic food!)
    * Joined Microsoft Rewards - points for searching
    * Used £1 Now TV pass (thanks Martin) to watch Finding Dory
    * Research tariffs for gas and elec as apparently our fix is due
    * Established that BIL can get us a staff discount on towel radiator for kitchen (he manages a plumbing merchants)

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • try harder
    • By try harder 5th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    try harder
    Great mortgage balance .
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Feeling very unmotivated today - I'm blaming the weather. The lack of work is also getting me down today - it's not unusual to have quiet days, it's just I seem to be having more of them this year than I have had in a while. I have *plenty* I could/should be getting on with, but I just can't get myself moving.

When it stops raining I will walk over to post a tiny ebay sale. I need to do the homework for my evening class this evening... I'll do this next, then at least I'll feel better about that.

Ikea kitchen meeting was good - we're pretty much ready to order now, but need to speak to electrician this weekend before we'll know the exact date we want the stuff to arrive.
    MS things:
    * VB poll and survey
    * PC survey complete
    * YSP survey done
    * DH won a free hot dog in IKEA - will use when we next go (as had already eaten in restaurant)

No money as yet from the Ukrainians...
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Yesterday was a better day - still no work, but I did get a few jobs done, including sorting out some of my accounts that were in a muddle, so I'm now more or less ready to do my tax return. This is good news, as then I'll be able to put a lump sum into my pension from last year's income (although sadly drastically reducing my chances of winning a million on the PBs for a while!).

DH is away with work tonight, so we went and voted before he went off. It was a first for me... I've never stood in the ballot box before and still been undecided about who to vote for - a weird feeling.

MS things:
    * Chasing payments - from Ukrainians and now two lots of Americans (one should pay today; the other, for a smaller amount, I hadn't noticed hadn't paid me since Feb - it's meant to be an automated system!)
    * Finalising accounts
    * VB poll, various surveys
    * Claimed SBs monthly bonus - 3SBs, whoops!
    * Found some old ant traps in mum's shed rather than buying new - taking half the kitchen out has encouraged the little beggars back into the kitchen
    * Harvesting strawberries from the garden - dessert for tonight
    * Small bit of work this morning (for a client that pays on time!)

DH fixed the wallpaper stripper last night, so I'll crack on with some wallpaper stripping this afternoon - we're having the ceiling skimmed in the spare room at the same time as the plasterer does the kitchen (where do we put everything?!!!).

Mum's got no kitchen at the moment (also having a new one), so she's coming round for dinner this evening - homemade gnocchi and salmon bake (she's never had gnocchi!). I expect we may end up watching the first election results come in. (Never have I been less enthused by an election, but the results programme is always intriguing.)

Have a good day everyone!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,676 Thanks
    Karmacat
    There's a lot of things going on for you! Glad you managed to vote
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    We do indeed KC - just glad we left it at the plasterer doing the skim in one spare room, not both!

Had a good day yesterday - lots of wallpaper stripped, work done and dinner with Mum was nice. Also saw sister and niece in the afternoon. Am watching the end of the election shenannigans/endless wittering pundits/politicians/commentators whilst working. It appears that my indecision has been reflected by the rest of the country. I'm concerned about what the future holds, but in the meantime enjoying the weak pound and hoping I'll get paid by the late US clients today (although I'm not holding out much hope; I won't be doing any more work for the big debtor until I'm paid).

MS things:
    * VB poll, YSP survey, TV survey, Prolific survey done
    * SBs survey for 50 bucks done, involved signing up to a media monitor thing.... will get a £10 voucher for signing up and £10 voucher per month thereafter. It seems to involve carrying a thing around with me, will see how that works before I commit to keeping it long term. (Initial sign up is good though).
    * Hassled £co as I'm a premium member and still waiting for pay outs from Jan and Feb (as well as many others)
    * Diarised when to check for holiday Nectar points - the claim period is short, so don't want to miss it.

Today consists of work, prep for Brownie day out tomorrow and more wallpaper stripping. DH coming straight home from his overnight, so should be back mid-afternoon.

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,988 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all!

I *think* we had a no-spend weekend! I was out at a Brownie thing all day Saturday (8.00-20.30 - I was exhausted!), so I don't know if DH spent anything, but from what he said, I don't think so. Yesterday we only went out twice, to collect things from Freecyclers - we now have a curtain pole and 5l of magnolia paint for our spare bedroom renovation

Today there's various bits of work to do, more wallpaper stripping (we did some yesterday but it was just too hot to finish it!) and our electrician friend is coming round this evening to look at the wiring for the kitchen (fingers crossed it won't be anything too major). I also need to do a shopping order as we have virtually nothing in the freezer (and I need to sort the fridge out too). I must also go for a walk today at some point - I need to get some exercise!

MS things:
    * Free curtain pole and paint for spare room!
    * 10p VB poll
    * Leftover eggs, peas and butter brought home from Brownie day
    * Strawbs from the garden for dessert last night
    * DH unblocked the drain in the kitchen (dishwasher had been flooding the floor) - he used a garden cane to poke it rather than drain cleaner or expensive drain 'men'.
    * Sister's partner can get us the towel rail for our kitchen for ~£11

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely day with Brownies on Saturday - such a lovely group at the moment
    * Sunshine all weekend
    * No ants or floods in kitchen - a relief after last week
    * Yummy butternut and pea risotto last night, using things up
    * A quieter week this week - last week we were busy every night!

Happy Monday everyone!

ETA: Ukrainians haven't paid yet, but debt collector is away until 15th, so I can't chase! American late payers still haven't paid (and ignored my email on Friday), so have stopped doing any work for them (and notified the person I deal with) - hopefully this will produce results. I don't think they have any appreciation of how frustrating this is - it's been making me feel very miserable lately.
    Last edited by themadvix; 12-06-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 12th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Sounds like a lovely weekend! Fingers crossed you get your payments soon! x
    • try harder
    • By try harder 12th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning .I have been eating so many strawberries they are just yummy at the minute and so sweet when you grow your own .Im sorry to hear that you are still having problems extracting money from people ,we are quite lucky some do pay late but we dont really have to chase anyone up it must be so stressful ,i do hope it will all get sorted out soon .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hi Mad Vix - sorry to hear the non-payers are getting you down. I can't imagine how stressful that must be, my salary just arrives like clockwork every month.

Keep your chin up, I am sure it will get sorted out. You will be so relieved when the Ukrainians finally pay - you will have to have a little party
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin