Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    • 1,060Posts
    • 5,962Thanks
    themadvix
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!
    • 10th Mar 12, 9:51 AM
    Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off! 10th Mar 12 at 9:51 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Having been a long time lurker on this board whilst saving for a house deposit (you’re all so friendly and positive that it’s an inspiring place to ‘hang out’), my fiance and I completed on our first house yesterday!

It’s a three-bedroomed terraced house in Hertfordshire (hence the long saving period) with an 80% LTV mortgage of £132,999 with Natwest, fixed for 2 years at 3.79%.

There’s just the two of us (and our new two fish, Rosie and Jim, inherited with the house!), but I work from home, hence the need for a third bedroom as office space. We won’t be moving in until June as the house needs some work doing and we’re getting married in June so it seemed to be a sensible option (as we both currently live with our parents…tragic I know in my late 20s, but nice mortgage rate as a result).

Obviously with house needing work and a wedding looming, I don’t expect to be making much in the way of overpayments for a while (but this won’t stop me rounding numbers down or transferring small bits across). Another issue is that although DF is employed (and hopefully about to get a new job in the company ), I am self-employed and therefore my income varies drastically from month to month. However, I have built up a fairly solid client base over the last five years, and especially in the last year, so I hope that this will continue to improve and that I will be able to contribute to overpayments.

DF is the spreadsheet nut, so I’m hoping he’ll get it set up for me so I can play with figures soon (although I have no idea what a pivot table is and am not convinced I need to know! ) We’re already a very MSE couple having been saving for so long – we cashback, do surveys, shop around, get the freebies that are relevant to us and have already (having gone to the house last night) established that if I’m paying the energy bills we’ll be living in a cold house! In all seriousness though, we are both on board with the idea of overpaying the mortgage - it just makes sense!

So, for the moment this diary will be a place to record the small things I do as well as the little overpayments I make (once my mortgage shows up in online banking!). Once June has flown past and we’re back from our honeymoon, I’ll get a grip on income and expenditure and work out an SOA and how much we can regularly overpay.

Vicky

PS Long, long term, this isn’t our forever home and one day we’d like to build our own environmentally friendly home! But more of that in the future…
    Last edited by themadvix; 21-11-2016 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Because I got the interest rate wrong!!
Page 26
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 18th May 17, 4:43 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Gosh under £100 k is a great milestone. I am hoping to get under £200k this month.
    It does focus your mind a bit having a target like that to hit, I hope you find enough funds from your bank account patrol to hit it or maybe the Ukrainians will save the day
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks BusyMee! It definitely focuses the mind - I've found £3.18 already I won't hold my breath for the Ukrainians though. I can't wait to be in five figures... although sadly, as we intend to move again it won't be for very long. I'll enjoy it while I can!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th May 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    13 items listed on ebay and other bits bumped on FB. Most of the ebay bits are BIN for 99p, so nothing to get excited about, but money in and clutter out if they sell (nice easy postage items too).

Didn't manage to cut the grass before it started raining and went to put out last load and discovered it was raining on my then-dry washing... so it's all inside now and the great laundry shuffle can begin!

DH doesn't want dinner - work lunch was that good, so I think I'll just have eggs on toast, nice and cheap
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th May 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    OP of £1303 made DH helped out with the missing £342 by withdrawing some of his MB money. He's going to take a break from it for the moment anyway - it's the end of the season, but also we've got so much DIY to get done that he won't have time. He'll go back to it at some point, he says.

If I've done my maths correctly, that should bring our overall balance to £99,974 come 2nd June when our regular payment goes out! Apologies to all those who love round numbers, but when you have to wait to make an OP until you've got more than £400 together, there's no point hanging on to bits of money just so it's pretty!

I cheated a bit as I haven't paid the NV cheque in yet - so I've borrowed the £50 from savings, but made a note that it needs paying back to savings. Come payday I'll be concentrating on building my savings back up a bit anyway - I've been dipping into them of late because of my low earnings (and a disinclination to use hard earned OP funds for day-to-day expenses!). I'm not too worried about this as these savings are for lean months and on top of that the cat expenses seem to have been never-ending of late. Hopefully we've made progress on that front now (both cats and earnings!), so things should be better financially from now on.

In smaller news, I have a bid on the only auction item I have on ebay - 99 whole pence! Fingers crossed that grows a bit

Things to be grateful for today (big things, I think):
    * Being in the very fortunate position of being able to overpay
    * Having a husband who is fully on board with OPing
    * Two lovely cats (who've been very affectionate since they came home from cattery)

Have a good day everyone!
    Last edited by themadvix; 19-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,665 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What a great post, and what a huge overpayment! Congratulations
    Retired August 2016
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 19th May 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 8,231 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Fantastic OP and congrats on getting below £100k
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1958.94/ £2150 91%
    Last 3 months- Jul £172.36 Aug: £212.52 Sep £206.32

Emergency fund £3880/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 19th May 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Huge congratulations MV - so exciting to be under 100k
    £450/3000 OH BC(85% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £450/31010.23 (98.54% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,950.00 (2017 O/P £1774.74) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £16241.98/14,539.71
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 19th May 17, 7:14 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Great news MV! Well done!! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 20th May 17, 6:48 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,061 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Huge congratulations, what a great milestone
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 20th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1

Well done - that is brilliant news. You should be very proud of yourself
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd May 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Aww, thanks everyone Not quite there yet, but it will be something to celebrate on the 2nd (if I've got my sums right! Embarrassing if not!).

Had a great weekend doing to London to Brighton mini run, even if I did have to push the car the last bit (halfway along Madeira drive - I did have help, but I was glad I was pushing not steering with all the pedestrians!). The weather was lovely and we enjoyed the camping this year (paid for a pitch at the local actual campsite - it made all the difference!).

I've been cracking on with life admin this morning while waiting for work to arrive (which it has now, can you tell?! Procrastination is my middle name!). Various bits and pieces done, which I'm feeling rather pleased about - including changing my business savings account so that it earns (slightly) more interest. Trying to get everything in order ready to do the kitchen next month... My brain is willing, but my achy body is struggling with the practical application today.

Have also had a call from Boots to say my new glasses are ready - hooray! Will hopefully go and collect them later. I'm very impressed as they said it would be a week last Weds.

MS news:
    * 10p VB poll
    * ebay item up to £1.70
    * Sold a tiny bit on FB - 25p to OP fund (it goes in a normal envelope, going to post box later anyway, it seems like more effort that it's worth, but I don't want these things in landfill and couldn't charity shop them).
    * Booked service for fridge under warranty as it's sticking when closing.
    * Must go and put washing on as it's so lovely outside!

Things to be grateful for:
    * Lovely weekend
    * Gorgeous sunny day again today
    * Glasses to collect
    * Brain is beginning to be able to focus on jobs list unimpeded by all the fun we've been having! (Not that I've not enjoyed the fun, but everything else has felt like it's been slipping lately).
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all,

Plenty of work to do today, must put some washing on (I didn't yesterday). Picked up my glasses yesterday afternoon and spent some time with mum, sister and niece - she's at the smiley, giggly stage now and lots of fun (although the fact she doesn't sleep during the day is hard work for sister I think!). DH and I had a BBQ for dinner and while we were out in the garden did do a bit of weeding and tidying. Garden is still a mess, but strawberries now have straw under them to protect the many green strawbs growing on them and it's not quite as bad as it was.

MS things:
    * Made sure I got points added to Boots card for glasses - must spend these as I think last lot expired. (Just checked - £2.60 to spend).
    * VB poll done
    *FPL and WaD checked
    * RM survey item posted (another to do today)
    * I dreamt I picked up 3p on the street - does this count?!

* Lovely evening with DH
    * Time spent with family yesterday afternoon
    * Invitation to BIL's gf's birthday dinner tomorrow (although will come at a cost - money is just evaporating at the moment)
    * A chance this week to enjoy being at home

Have a good day all!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd May 17, 10:59 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,665 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Garden is still a mess, but strawberries now have straw under them to protect the many green strawbs growing on them and it's not quite as bad as it was.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    That's an mse thing too

MS things:
    * Made sure I got points added to Boots card for glasses - must spend these as I think last lot expired. (Just checked - £2.60 to spend).
    Their own brand ibuprofen and aspirin etc are good for using up those tiny amounts.

* I dreamt I picked up 3p on the street - does this count?!
    Yes

* Lovely evening with DH
    * Time spent with family yesterday afternoon
    * Invitation to BIL's gf's birthday dinner tomorrow (although will come at a cost - money is just evaporating at the moment)
    * A chance this week to enjoy being at home

Have a good day all!
    That all counts too (unfortunately for some of it ).
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great minds think alike KC when it comes to spending Boots points - I don't really ever buy anything in there, so cheapy drugs it will be!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 24th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Busy day today - man arrived to fix fridge at 8.10!! Wasn't expecting him till 8.30, so that was a bit of surprise - he had to put up with a messy kitchen, but at least I'd put the rubbish out and hoovered!

Sister and niece popped round for lunch. Have managed some work in between all this. Going out for dinner for BIL's GF's birthday (can't really afford it, but didn't feel we could say no - we'll live).

Plants arrived from T&M - I hadn't realised that the fuschia that came in the pack produces edible berries!! Weird, but looking forward to trying that out! Have popped everything in for a soak, but not had a chance to plant as yet.

MS things:
    * HM bread for lunch
    * 10p VB poll
    * SBs code extravaganza points collected and more won on Spin and win.
    * Work....

Need to buy some cat food, kitty prozac and feliway - shopped around and think I've found the best way of doing it. Just waiting for cc statement to arrive so it's not on this month's (£800!!) bill. (A lot of that is glasses and cat holiday, or MOTs that DH owes me for, so it's quite as bad as it looks).

Have a good evening all - enjoy the sunshine!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th May 17, 9:12 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,665 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Do all fuschias have edible berries, madvix? I love fuschias, the not-too-overbred ones, anyway
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 25th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    No, they don't - these are a special hybrid thing I guess: http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/fuchsia-plants/fuchsia-berry/t67523TM I had no idea that's what they were when I ordered them.

Just about to pop out to garden centre as I need some compost before I can get everything planted up before it gets too hot!

Had a lovely meal out last night, DH paid, even better!

Today I must finish insurance claim for glasses, plant plants (involves quite a bit of prep too) and book train tickets for wedding at weekend (card and present sorted - used JL gift voucher we received as apology for carpet delays ). Must also go and get new glasses adjusted as they're digging into my head. All on top of a good amount of work - but I've broken the back of this particular project now, so feeling much happier!

Have ordered cat bits for best price I can get, except food. Am awaiting arrival of claimed Am voucher for food as the brand we buy seems to have shrunk the size of the bags they use without the price going down (weak pound to blame for that I imagine, as it's a Canadian brand) - still some of the larger size on Amazon for a comparable price (I'd never buy it from them otherwise!).

Gratitudes today:
    * Great meal out with family/friends last night
    * Leftovers from last night and the night before's hm curry for dinner tonight!
    * Gorgeous weather again today - will enjoy being outside gardening.

Have a good day everyone - don't forget the sun cream
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 25th May 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 14,982 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    You sound super positive at the moment, its lovely to read xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • try harder
    • By try harder 26th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    try harder
    Well done in advance ,you have done amazingly well under £100,000 i cannot imagine how i will feel when i get to that point probably very very happy ,keep up the good work .
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 26th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 5,962 Thanks
    themadvix
    Morning all! Thanks TH and ATB - I think sometimes it's selective reporting that makes me sound so positive though - I definitely wasn't feeling it yesterday after I'd been out melting and planting an endless quantity of plants!

All plants are now either planted up in their final location or in pots to grow on a bit before I put them where they will go finally. Used some of the plants to pot up a new pot for my Nan for her birthday on Monday - she loves her garden and what else do you get an 89-year-old with dementia?

Was up early this morning to play car tetris with DH, so have completed a fair bit of work already (just as well as going to stop about 2pm!). We submitted the insurance claim for our glasses last night, so just got to wait to hear back from them. I still need to get glasses adjusted, so I'll do that on my way to Brownies this evening.

MS news:
    * VB 10p poll done
    * SBs Swago bonus claimed
    * Opted in for £10 Gfk Media Survey next week
    * Replacement S&S router all connected up and seems to be working well.
    * Have opted in on the ebay FVF £1 this weekend offer - not sure if we have anything valuable enough to benefit from that, but we'll see (DH mentioned more slimming down of garage earlier in the week).

We're off to our friends' wedding tomorrow - in London. We're meeting other friends for lunch first so we don't starve during the endless waiting that weddings involve - sadly this doesn't look like it'll be cheap. Will be using our two together railcard though and getting public transport (others seem to want to get a cab from the train station - why?!), apart from an Uber from our local station home (it'll be too late for a bus).

Sunday there's local food festival we might pop out and visit (for free samples!), but otherwise we'll be enjoying what this month has been a rare day at home - might even manage some DIY if the hangover isn't too bad. Monday is my Nan's birthday, so we'll be going to see her for at least some of the day.

It's been a looooong week, so I'm looking forward to the weekend! Here's to June being cheaper (bar a new kitchen, but that's in the budget)!

Have a great weekend folks!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,477Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin