Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > What's the most economical used 4x4/SUV (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What's the most economical used 4x4/SUV
Closed Thread
Views: 150,189
# 1
milkydrink
Old 22-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default What's the most economical used 4x4/SUV

What's the most economical used 4x4, fuel ECT all considered, but especially fuel! & before you have a go, I know they are not the most economical of cars, but some are more so than others. Looking to spend 3,000 - 5,000 ish.

Smallish (but not Terrios!).

Looked at Rav4, good name, can get 1.8 for about 5,500, not "proper" 4x4 so the most economical except for Diesel which are too new to be in my price range.

Freelander, diesels from about 3,500+

Nothing bigger than these, want two front airbags & ABS brakes.

Any ideas??? Getting dizzy from looking!!!!

Thanks
Kim
# 2
DavidHM
Old 22-02-2007, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

RAV4 or CRV, probably the RAV4 for fuel economy.

At least the Toyota and Honda are decent to drive and, unlike the Freelander, pretty reliable. (Just about everything that can go wrong on a Freelander does, particularly the 1.8 petrol engine).

Frankly there are so many practical and financial downsides to owning a 4x4 (space, economy, purchase price, tyres, etc.) that you'll always be picking the best of a bad bunch.
Debt at highest: September 2003 - 26,350
Debt now: 14,100 :rolleyes:
Debt free day: October 2008
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidHM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
milkydrink
Old 22-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Thank you, I think the CR-V's are out of my price range but I will have a look.

I do live in the country

Kim
# 4
Markyt
Old 23-02-2007, 9:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Fiat Panda? Suzuki 4x4? subaru forrester?

Most of the newer diesels will also run on a mix of veg oil and diesel - don't forget to declare it and pay the tax if you try this though ;-)

Last edited by Markyt; 23-02-2007 at 9:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markyt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
milkydrink
Old 23-02-2007, 9:26 AM

Don't like the Panda 4x4's.
Think the older Suzuki's are not nice either, but the 1 or 2 year old ones are nice , but out of my price range .
As for the Subaru's didn't know they did a small one, will look at it.

I think the Rav4 is coming out the best for fuel.
Fuel is very important, my husband buys, insures, taxes, & maintaines it , but I gotta put the fuel in . So as economical as they come is great .

Thank you
# 6
peterg1965
Old 23-02-2007, 9:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Already been mentioned but the Panda 4x4 is supposed to be OK, It was tested on Top Gear and they (remarkably) seem to like it. Have a look and dont be put off by Fiats of old. Alternately what about a Suzuki?
The Following User Says Thank You to peterg1965 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Markyt
Old 23-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965
Already been mentioned but the Panda 4x4 is supposed to be OK, It was tested on Top Gear and they (remarkably) seem to like it. Have a look and dont be put off by Fiats of old. Alternately what about a Suzuki?
the Panda is actually made by suzuki - same drive train.
# 8
Wig
Old 23-02-2007, 12:17 PM

I presume you do actually need a 4x4? i.e. you intend to take it off road. If that is the case fuel economy is the last thing you should be thinking about, the priority should be on 4x4 ability.

If it is not the case, what on earth do you want a 4x4 4?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
milkydrink
Old 23-02-2007, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig
I presume you do actually need a 4x4? i.e. you intend to take it off road. If that is the case fuel economy is the last thing you should be thinking about, the priority should be on 4x4 ability.

If it is not the case, what on earth do you want a 4x4 4?
Thanks but I didn't ask for comments on the type of vehicle I wish to purchase, nor do I plan to enter into a discussion about or justify it. Just "helpful" advice on the most suitable model for my needs.
# 10
teeb
Old 23-02-2007, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyt
the Panda is actually made by suzuki - same drive train.
You're thinking of the Fiat Sedici / Suzuki SX4 4x4s, which share the same underpinnings.

I think.
# 11
milkydrink
Old 23-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Really lost me now with underpinnings

I thought Fiat were Italian & Suzuki Japanese:confused:

I quite like the Renault RX4, jeep shaped (wheel on the back ect) & lots of cosy toys inside. I was in one yesterday. Had never seen them before till yesterday.
Any opinions on these. Probably a diesel one, the alize one is the lowest insurance group.

Thanks
# 12
peterg1965
Old 24-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well said kimevans, I am a 4x4 driver too and i get fed up with the sanctimonious comments from 'do-gooders' about what type of car I drive.

Just be careful about older (and newer) renaults, build quality is not a strenght of French Manufacturers. If you go for an RX4 it would be advisable to make sure you had a decent warranty and that the service history is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterg1965 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Markyt
Old 24-02-2007, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeb
You're thinking of the Fiat Sedici / Suzuki SX4 4x4s, which share the same underpinnings.

I think.
I was thinking of the SX4, but definitely the Panda too - so we were told by a Suzuki salesman the other week.
# 14
mark_horsell
Old 21-12-2009, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default This might help your decision

Fifth gear compared a range rover to a fiat 4x4

youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Great value, much cheaper to run as its front wheel drive on the road, only engaging 4 wheels when needed. NOT going to be the most powerful for towing though.
# 15
RussWWFC
Old 06-01-2010, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to RussWWFC

Oooh, digging up an old topic. Misery in the snow again, I too am considering a 4X4 if this is what we have to put up with every Winter
Wycombe Till I Die
# 16
emmell
Old 06-01-2010, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Don't buy a Honda crv, horrendous on fuel, I know I had one brand new in 2003. Nice to drive and comfortable but you could see the petrol guage moving down as you were driving.
The Landrover Discovery is probably the most economical 4x4 diesel for its size, but the little life saver these last few weeks in our family is the Suzuki Vitara that is just a spare old runabout toy. My sister in Law uses it when she can't get her BMW out and yesterday she had to take it to retrieve my brothers Mondeo taxi after it got stuck in a residential street.
Have you thought about a Vitara diesel, oh and I wouldn't touch a Renault especially in 4x4.
ML.
# 17
Viper_7
Old 06-01-2010, 7:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydrink View Post
Thanks but I didn't ask for comments on the type of vehicle I wish to purchase, nor do I plan to enter into a discussion about or justify it. Just "helpful" advice on the most suitable model for my needs.

What are your needs,then people may have more information.

If you "Need" a 4x4 as said cost/economy is really insignificant compared to the much higher costs of owning a 4x4.
What is your annual mileage, both on and off-road. Off-road does not include a muddy country road.
Are you planning on doing much towing?
How many seats do you need?
How much boot storage?

Does it need to be an off-road capable 4x4 or just 4 wheel drive?
Plenty of 4 wheel drive on-road vehicles out there where fuel costs and ownership is much more favorable than an off road capable 4x4.

So I think the question is justified...

Jesus.... how old... ffs!

Last edited by Viper_7; 06-01-2010 at 7:38 PM. Reason: aggghhhh
# 18
BigMike54
Old 02-02-2010, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Russ, a 4x4 isn't really going to help you hugely in snow unless it has decent tyres (like mud tyres or just grippy winter tyres). You'd probably be better off just putting winter tyres on your current car for all the difference it'll make.

On ice, it doesnt matter what you're driving, you'll still end up in the hedge if you push it, a 4x4 is no use to you under those circumstances.

I have a landrover defender which is excellent offroad (as you'd expect), but my Wife has a skoda fabia which I put winter tyres on it when it snowed the first time this winter and despite us living in the country and having a foot of snow for nearly a month, she didn't miss a days work. So, have think before you rush into a 4x4 if it's just the weather that's the concern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMike54 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
katies mum
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I`ve got a red CRV (2004 model) which I love and its so reliable, but its not economical on fuel unless I go on a long motorway journey. I just love the car and its the only red one in the area so will never part with it, just need to win the lottery to run it!!
# 20
pconstable
Old 03-02-2010, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i echo what has been said about the HondaCRV. It is indeed lovely, i ave leather seats, heated front ones, sat nav inbuilt, no touble good to drive BUT, the mpg is rubbish, i only do local stuff , only get about 23/27. We don't rally need a big car now, so i am considering a Kia ceed, with 7 , yes 7 years warranty and if a diesel, then mpg of more like 50/55, much better
Closed Thread