Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • tomsco
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:25 PM
    That's correct. Your money, they can't charge you interest on it. There may still be a cash withdrawl fee and an international charge, though.
    • HoneyAndLemon
    • By HoneyAndLemon 8th Mar 12, 7:29 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    HoneyAndLemon
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:29 PM
    The transaction would still appear on your statement as a cash withdrawal so yes, you will pay interest from the date of transaction until its paid off in full.

As you said, it breaches the T's and C's of the card, so you may risk having the card closed if you do.
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 8th Mar 12, 7:41 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:41 PM
    • 8th Mar 12, 7:41 PM
    If you pre-load the card with funds before you make a cash withdrawal overseas (I know you're not supposed to do this, but you can), will you still be charged interest?

I kinda figured you wouldn't be charged interest if your card was always in credit, but you never know.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Elektriksheep
    Believe it or not, you're not the first person to think of this.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35366309
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=35745055
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2925908
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Mar 12, 10:34 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 8th Mar 12, 10:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 12, 10:34 PM
    I would always pay a few pence (or even a couple of quid) rather than risk having a card blocked.

CCs have a tendency to get blocked when used overseas anyway - why make it even more likely to happen?
    • jsoap
    • By jsoap 9th Mar 12, 12:06 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    jsoap
    • 9th Mar 12, 12:06 PM
    • 9th Mar 12, 12:06 PM
    I actually did this by accident a few weeks ago. I transfered money to the card rather than a savings account, putting the card into £1000 credit. The final statement for the month is still slightly in credit, and I've taken about £500 of foregn cash out.
    So far I've heard nothing from the Halifax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,485Posts Today

6,854Users online

Martin's Twitter