Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jessiejane1986
    SW Trains - caught without ticket
    • 4th Mar 12, 8:22 PM
    SW Trains - caught without ticket 4th Mar 12 at 8:22 PM
    Hi

I know it's no excuse but I was late for the train to work one morning and didn't top up my oyster card - so I didn't tap in. There were inspectors at the station and they saw there wasn't enough money on there for me to pay for the journey, I had the money with me to top it up. They questioned me and filled in a form, I said I was going to top up when I got to my destination and I knew I would be charged the maximum for only tapping in one way so wasn't trying to avoid paying. Of course I can't prove that though. Today I received a letter saying for me to complete my correct details and return the form while they consider the evidence.

The person who questioned me didn't show me a badge and I wasn't offered a penalty fare, he said it was just a warning. Does this change things at all? I was travelling from Worcester Park and stopped in Raynes Park.

A friend who was rushing with me had money on her card but also didn't tap in (as we ran for the train) and was sent a letter asking for 85 in costs.

Does anyone know the likely outcome for this? Should I have been offered a PF or should I have been shown a badge? I know I was in the wrong but is it possible they will settle out of court? I've barely slept since getting the letter as I'm terrified of going to court over this.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Page 2
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,346Users online

Martin's Twitter