Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    feelingverystupid
    Dublin M50 Toll Penalty Enforceable?
    • 3rd Mar 12, 6:10 PM
    Dublin M50 Toll Penalty Enforceable? 3rd Mar 12 at 6:10 PM
    Not sure if this is in the right place. Please move if not.

In August we travelled through Dublin.We are UK citizens and were travelling in a UK registered vehicle. We were horribly lost and stressed out. We saw signs warning of a toll but thought we hadn't ever arrived at it as we didn't pass any barriers.

Apparently there are no barriers and according to a letter I've just received, we went through 3 times in less than an hour while trying to find our way to the hotel and once, a week later on our way back to the port.

The letter states that it is an unpaid toll notice following a standard toll request, it is however the first contact of any sort I have received. The tolls are less than £12. They are asking a total of £166.57 including penalties.

Issues of gross stupidity and ethical obligation aside, does anyone know for certain if this can be enforced ? I may wish to drive in Ireland again, probably not in this vehicle.
Page 3
    • Parisien
    • By Parisien 17th Nov 16, 1:20 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Parisien
    Just got one of these for a single journey last month, anyone being pursued to pay or indeed any further action taken from a legal perspective?

P
    • Mr_it01
    • By Mr_it01 28th Apr 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_it01
    hi guys, I've had a similar letter in the region of around £170 from passing by the m50 toll last year. I live in Northern Ireland. it seems to me at the moment that it's not possible for this to be enforced? Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Apr 17, 12:13 AM
    • 50,604 Posts
    • 63,999 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No idea about this Toll - try asking on pepipoo forum.

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Alex_15
    • By Alex_15 18th May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alex_15
    A previous post stated this "I've spoken with E-Flow and EPC directly about this to try to create a workable solution, but they just go into broken record mode.

When a UK vehicle is identified, they pass the debt to EPC plc for collection. EPC will send two letters, with the penalty amount increasing each time. They will then send a "letter before debt collection" notice, and then Rossendales send a letter, again increasing the charge to try to skim their piece of revenue.
    It will then get passed back to EPC plc, who start the process again.

E-flow have confirmed they can not take legal action in the UK as it is out of their jurisdiction, EPC claim they can take all sorts of action under various EU law, but ultimately they are only a debt collector.

I've asked them to put their money where their lawyer is, but still the letters continue..."

I have also received letters to this stage, has anyone experiences further repercussions from ignoring these? or am I best to pay the collectors to avoid further fees?

Thanks
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 18th May 17, 2:34 PM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    That was me, and the saga continues.

After doing the rounds of the EPC offices and trading names, they were then passed to Rossendales Collect, £16,200 ish worth. I received a letter for each one individually, and they have their own file now as well.

After numerous calls to Rossendales, again asking who the creditor is, what jurisdiction the debt is registered in etc, they have now closed their case on the majority of those tickets, and my current alleged debt with Rossendales stands at a mere £2291.29...

I'm waiting to see what EPC plc do next, but the Rossendale cancelled ones were all vehicles registered in 2014/2015.

I still get anything up to 50 letters a week from EPC Plc, but we have a big shredder in the office and the local animal shelter takes bags of it regularly for bedding.

I'm quite happy to go on record and say that these are 100% bin fodder. I also know that a number of the vehicles are still operating in the area, and nothing has happened with them being seized or impounded.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 25th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    Rossendales have this morning confirmed that they can not take court action, and have also advised that EPC plc can not take court action as they are working in a debt collection capacity, and not as the principle creditor.

EPC plc M50 Toll fine - bin them. Don't waste your time in responding. It's a scam.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter