Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 1st Mar 12, 3:18 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Extend Your Lease guide discussion
    • 1st Mar 12, 3:18 PM
    Extend Your Lease guide discussion 1st Mar 12 at 3:18 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Extend Your Lease guide to help you extend at a fair price.

How did you find the info? If you've done it, how did it go and do you have any other tips you'd add? How much value do you think it added to your property?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 02-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Page 29
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 17th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    eddddy
    Is it okay for me to use the same solicitor for my lease extension as the solicitor the management company uses? I thought the management company act for the freeholder. The management company have told me I can't contact the freeholder directly regarding extending my lease so I am confused.
    Originally posted by yellowtiger
    In general, you can't use the same solicitor as the other party.

Are you saying that the management company have told you to use the same solicitor?

I don't really follow what you are trying to say in the rest of your post.
    • pdhan
    • By pdhan 17th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pdhan
    Bank won't lend towards shared ownership lease extension
    Wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience to this and what they did about it.

The lease on my shared ownership flat is getting very short with only 71 years remaining. The issue is that I have to pay for 100% of the extension whilst only owning 50% of the flat. Because of this the bank refuses to lend towards the extension as they argue – not unreasonably – that I'm adding value to the share of the flat that I don't own.

Has anyone had any luck with convincing their housing association of the intrinsic unfairness of this? Alternatively is there a bank willing to lend towards shared ownership lease extensions?
    • Agent57
    • By Agent57 26th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Agent57
    I feel like I'm taking part in one big game and I'm paying the fees of all the other players.

I paid for a valuation that came out at £24k and the landlord made a counter offer of £30k. If I contest this and win I am told that the fees could come out at £3,000 per party so the landlord knows he can charge £6,000 over the odds and get away with it. Heads he wins, tales I lose. I have no choice. I can't take my business elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,182Posts Today

7,102Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin