PPI FAQs discussion thread

Options

Comments

• PlasticMan_2
    Options
    I complained to my bank about PPI on loans, and they slightly surprised me by coming up with four loans I had taken out with PPI, all now paid off.

They provided me with the references numbers to the four loans, and then sent a letter saying I was ineligible for a refund on any of them. From experience that seems like a standard rebuttal and my plan is to go to the ombudsman.

But my question is, do I have to fill in four sets of forms, ie a PPI questionnaire and an FSO complaint form for each of the four loans? Or can I just fill in one set of forms to cover all four loans from the one provider.

As I write this, I'm thinking maybe I need four complaints, because the circumstances could vary between each of the loans. In practice they rolled over from each other - i.e. each loan was to refinance the previous one. I knew nothing about finance and just naively did what the bank, who seemed traditional and trustworthy to me, told me to do.

Thanks for any advice, and I think this would make a useful FAQ.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PlasticMan wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe I need four complaints, because the circumstances could vary between each of the loans.
    If the Bank have responded individually to each of your complaints then you should also refer them to the Ombudsman individually.

Success will depend on the reasons you have for complaint.
  • PlasticMan_2
    Options
    If the Bank have responded individually to each of your complaints then you should also refer them to the Ombudsman individually.

Success will depend on the reasons you have for complaint.

Thanks for the quick reply. The bank sent me one letter with three sections, one section for two loan accounts in one year, and one section each for the other two loans. Basically the same text was repeated in each section.

Of course I realise that the results depend on my complaint.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The bank sent me one letter
    You therefore have one complaint reference from the Bank-this is what you send to FOS
    Of course I realise that the results depend on my complaint.
    If your complaint is weak there really isn't much point referring it to FOS. On what basis did the Bank reject your complaint?
    A "standard rebuttal" is not issued, but they do use form letters of course.
  • chrissy100 wrote: »
    Hi. I have had exactly the same problem, but it was when they were 'First National Bank', GE Money bought them out. They have told me it was done through a third party and it is them that I need to see about it. But the company are no longer trading. Catch 22!
    I had the same problem with GE Money and a firm called Space Kitchens which went into liqidation, GE denied all responsibility. i received large cheque yesterday from DELOITTES who are the receivers, had to fill in lots of forms but was worth it to keep pursuing them joy of joys
  • Gladysknight
    Options
    When I took out my loan and PPI I was part self employed and working part time for an employer.
    Could I have been mis sold on these grounds?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When I took out my loan and PPI I was part self employed and working part time for an employer.
    Could I have been mis sold on these grounds?
    As long as you were employed for 16 or more hours per week, the PPI covered you.
  • Frankyt
    Options
    I took out a bank loan for £3,000 in 1994 and was told that I couldn't have it unless I took the insurance out too. I have still got my bank book which shows the loan amount paid and the insurance amount paid (which I had to pay out as one lump sum of £261-78). I haven't got the original paper work for the loan but my bank book clearly states the loan was paid out and insurance charge repayment. Would I stand a chance of claiming it back?

Thanks
  • Ppivictim_2
    Options
    Hi, what can we do to claim thousands back in PPI from Santander? My fiancee and i both feel we have valid claims from store cards tht were originally issued by GE Capital but they were brought out by santander. They are saying tht they were not regulated by the ombudsman at the time these accounts were open and told us to go to the FLA but that they would not re-pay because we signed for the PPI!!!!!!!!!??? The FLA tried on our behalf but got the same response from Santander and simply told us to seek independant legal advise. The way tht these store cards were set up is in the typical 'mis-selling' way if doing at till with a que behind so there must be a good case but we can't afford to pay lawyers to take santander to court!! What else can we do?? Thanks
  • bsasummers
    Options
    Martin,

I cant accept your arguement about you not promoting the above, in relation to PPI mis-selling.
    I cannot believe that there is still anyone in this country who isn't aware that they can reclaim, what with texts, unsolicited phone calls, TV adverts and your website!

Do you factor into your figures that there are people claiming, knowing that they have never taken PPI? On one hand they are dishonest, yet on the other hand, banks are paying out anyway.

It's time to bring this PPI thing to an end - if you're someone who reaaly believes that they have been mis-sold, where on earth have you been for the past 5 years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure