Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 502
    • lilia_fellini
    • By lilia_fellini 29th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lilia_fellini
    @dunstonh
    I think you may be confusing me with woodsy76? My (unrelated) story about car finance (not about PPI) was addressed to woodsy76, in order to merely highlight the fact that you cannot have your cake and eat it.
    You either say your elderly parent is a vulnerable adult incapable of making financial decisions (in which case they probably should not be living on their own or have someone overlooking their financial transactions at the very least - so they do not get conned out of their money).
    Or you say they are responsible adults - and, however frustating it may be - let them make their own mistakes. My partner and his brother do not lay the blame at the sales agent's door for making their mom take finance out. This was a stupid thing to do, but it was what decided to do in her sound mind. She is not particularly good with numbers, but it's not the car dealership's problem.

My personal opinion is, the company had done the job - they did reclaim PPI - with OP's moms agreement, and so they should be paid for their services. She did not imagine they would do it for free, did she? But she ended up better off financially (it does not sound like she would be reclaiming her PPI otherwise), so why would you have a problem giving them their cut?

I don't think what the PPI reclaim company has done is morally right, but it is legal (like a lot of other things in life) - so there is very little ground for complaint imho.

If we want to change that, it has to be done through a different channel - like we should start campaigning that door-to-door canvassing be made illegal, for example.

But you cannot rely on the PPI agent to be making a realistic assessment of a person's mental state and his/her capacity. Just not going to happen, unfortunately.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 89,851 Posts
    • 55,457 Thanks
    dunstonh
    This is why individual threads are so much better to use than these generic threads with multiple conversations going on. You lose track or who is who on them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 19,559 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude

My personal opinion is, the company had done the job - they did reclaim PPI - with OP's moms agreement, and so they should be paid for their services.
    Originally posted by lilia_fellini
    It's not just a "personal opinion", though, basically the claim company have fulfilled their side of a legally binding contract. Although all of us here agree that they haven't actually done very much, it means that their fee is now due and can be legally enforced if necessary.

This is why individual threads are so much better to use than these generic threads with multiple conversations going on. You lose track or who is who on them.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Yes, Dunston you quoted the post mistakenly thinking it was the OP.
    One of the problems with simply copying and pasting quotes rather than using the 'quote" function of the forum.
    • lilia_fellini
    • By lilia_fellini 29th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lilia_fellini
    Sorry. Posting on my phone, so really hard to navigate, but probably should have quoted OP's post.
    At any rate, woodsy76 had left the conversation it seems. I would be frustrated if I were him, but equally, no real harm was done. It's not like the old lady was conned out of her money - quite the opposite, she got paid instead! I wouldn't complain!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 19,559 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's not like the old lady was conned out of her money - quite the opposite, she got paid instead!
    Originally posted by lilia_fellini
    To be fair, "Woodsy76" is correct in that the Claim firm want a huge proportion of his mother's PPI redress in exchange for doing very little.

This is the main reason why we don't encourage anyone on the forum to use a claim firm in the first place.

Unfortunately, "Woodsy76" required advice which we were unable to give because he wanted us to tell him that he could simply refuse to pay without any fear of penalty. He was already too late to do anything about this prior to his posting.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 2nd Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    BooJewels
    I'm sorry @Woodsy76, but I'm not going to be able to say what you want to hear either. Just because people don't say what you want them to, doesn't actually make them wrong or their points not valid.

If your Mum made a complaint using a third party company and it has come good and she has a pay out, then she's obligated (morally and legally) to pay what she committed to when she engaged their services - she presumably signed to commit that she would. If she was inappropriately pressured to proceed, then that's another matter beyond my knowledge (i.e. not honouring selling or cooling off periods for example). Her not realising she could do it herself doesn't make them wrong for setting the ball rolling on her behalf.

Would she actually have made the complaint under her own steam and been successful - would she even have known that she could potentially do so without their prompt?

Maybe just accept that 65% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
    • Jeffro1966
    • By Jeffro1966 2nd Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jeffro1966
    American Express
    Hi
    I'm trying to find out if i paid ppi on my american express credit cards.
    I contacted american express to complain about the miss selling of ppi but i don't have any account details. They have acknowledged that i once banked with them but unless i give them specific account numbers they cannot help me any further.
    I've tried finding the details through my old bank account statements by doing a SAR but i have found no information as my bank records don't go back far enough.
    Should i try a SAR with american express, and if so where do i send to as i cannot find an address. Or do i give up, as i had the account mid 1990's.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 2nd Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    zx81
    You could try a SAR. Amex will give you the address. However, the chances of it returning anything are slim.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 4th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    I had a mortgage with Brittania Building Society from about 1980 to 1995 and I approached them about possible PPI as did the company who took over my PPI claim but they say they have no record of an account with them as all records are destroyed after 6 years Have I reached a dead end or is there more that I can do,
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    zx81
    You could gamble £10 on a SAR, but it would almost certainly be £10 down the drain.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 89,851 Posts
    • 55,457 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I had a mortgage with Brittania Building Society from about 1980 to 1995 and I approached them about possible PPI as did the company who took over my PPI claim but they say they have no record of an account with them as all records are destroyed after 6 years Have I reached a dead end or is there more that I can do,
    Originally posted by SuperSeagull
    PPI wasnt available in 1980. It is also 25 years before regulation of insurance and 8 years before regulation of building societies. Most building societies of that era didnt sell their own insurances (apart from household).
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 4th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    Thanks for the info as it appears that I wouldnt have paid PPI.
    • KevWinter
    • By KevWinter 10th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KevWinter
    Hi, I've tried contacting LLoyds to query if I was sold ppi but have found them obstructing and I have got nowhere.

My problems are as follows:
    I had 2 smallish loans with Llloyds but I dont have any paperwork, remember the exact dates or the full amounts as my memory is useless. The loans were taken out 15 to 20 years ago so i dont think it will be on my credit record.

I've heard of a sar request, am I wasting my time or is it still worth doing?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 7,449 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    -taff
    It's up to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 19,559 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Hi, I've tried contacting LLoyds to query if I was sold ppi but have found them obstructing and I have got nowhere.
    Originally posted by KevWinter
    In what way were they "obstructing" ? If they simply told you they had no record of your finance from two decades ago I'd be inclined to believe them. Your choice whether to chance £10 on a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter which will likely just confirm what they have already told you,
    • KevWinter
    • By KevWinter 10th Oct 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KevWinter
    I contacted them through their website and they sent me a text to say they would communicate via text throughout the investigation, they then sent a text while i was on holiday saying they hadn't received a response to their questionnaire which I hadn't been sent. Next thing I knew I had a letter saying the investigation was closed as I hadn't provided required documentation.

I phoned them up and they promised to open the complaint and resent the document but that was weeks ago and I've not had any texts or documents, I assume my complaint is still closed.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 17, 11:00 PM
    • 19,559 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I assume my complaint is still closed.
    Originally posted by KevWinter
    I assume you didn't make an actual complaint though?

Surely you just asked them to confirm or deny whether you had PPI?

If not, how could you "complain" about PPI which you are not even certain you had?

Sounds like your "complaint" has been closed because you failed to provide any evidence of PPI and they don't have any either.

Best approach is to ask directly and with no ambiguity if you had PPI and then only progress to complaint if they reply in the affirmative and you can somehow show it was mis-sold to you..
    • Daver
    • By Daver 11th Oct 17, 8:22 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Daver
    I wonder if anyone can help on here? I had a car loan in 2003-2006 with finance from VWFS that was provided through the dealership, at the time I was just about to start a new job and the finance officer at the dealership did everything possible to get the PPI included, very pushy and the usual, better rate, more likely to get accepted etc. I have approached VW Financial services for the paperwork and they have written back saying the PPI claim is with the dealership, Horners, who went bust in 2013. I am not sure if I can claim or not, Horners Manchester ltd as a dealership does still exist in Manchester but the original horners was Horners Motor Group Ltd so I don't think the two are actually connected
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    zx81
    If the dealer is no more, you have no one to complain to.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 19,559 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I had a car loan in 2003-2006
    Originally posted by Daver
    If the loan was taken out prior to January 2005 then any insurance policy sale is pre-regulation.
    I have approached VW Financial services for the paperwork
    So you have no documentation to support your allegations.
    the PPI claim is with the dealership, Horners, who went bust in 2013. I am not sure if I can claim or not
    If you purchased the PPI in 2005 or later you can refer your complaint to FSCS, any earlier and there is no one left to complain to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,276Posts Today

8,955Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin