Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 496
    • Mandy David
    • By Mandy David 15th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mandy David
    Well they might have paperwork with your signature agreeing to pay ppi. Just say you were told it was compulsory to have ppi
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    HI everyone. I got a letter from danske bank the other day saying I mite be eligible for a ppi compensation just had to complete attached form. I took a £5000 loan out in 2009 for 4 years have no idea what ppi I was paying on that loan. In 2011 I left my job and opened my own business that didn't work out so I wasn't in position to pay for good few months. Eventually my loan was sent to debt collection company and I arranged an agreement with them and had the loan eventually paid off. My question is as I have no paperwork do you think I was still paying ppi when paying off through dept col company or i was only paying what owed to the bank? Just wondering how much money I can expect from them. I think my monthly payments were around £150
    Originally posted by Mandy David

When the debt was transferred to the debt collection company, the PPI would have ended.

If the debt was not paid in full but was a lower agreed settlement (as many debt collection agencies do), then any redress can go against that part first and you dont see it. It is only the excess above that you get.

You have been invited to complain if you feel you were missold. So, do that if you feel you were.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Well they might have paperwork with your signature agreeing to pay ppi. Just say you were told it was compulsory to have ppi
    That is the weakest complaint reason going and very few complaints get upheld on that particular point. It is best to look at other reasons than relying on that one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Mandy David
    • By Mandy David 15th Sep 17, 11:39 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mandy David
    I was told by my bank that I had to have ppi as I had no credit history when taking out the loan and if I didn't agree to it I wouldn't get the loan. So do u think it was fair of them to do that?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I was told by my bank that I had to have ppi as I had no credit history when taking out the loan and if I didn't agree to it I wouldn't get the loan. So do u think it was fair of them to do that?
    It doesnt matter what I think. It matters what the available information suggests happened.

Every fraudulent and try-it-on complaint uses the "I was told I had to have it" reason. If the evidence points to that being the case, then the complaint will likely be successful. If there is no evidence to suggest that was the case, then the complaint will fail on that particular point. It may go on to be upheld on another point though.

Most complaint reasons are valid but all of them have varying degrees of success.
    • 3catbat
    • By 3catbat 17th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    3catbat
    Weirdest paperwork!
    Hi, I'm new here, hope I'm doing this properly?

Through Resolver, I filled in Claim paperwork, assuming that I'd have to refill in the same and more paperwork if/when I got a response from the Halifax.

I have had three letters, one dated 6th and two dated 7th September which ARRIVED on the 14th, 15th and 16th September (main bulky letter on the 15th which said 14 days to reply, after getting a single sheet letter from them with an indicator "you are here" (Stage 1!), then yesterday I got a letter saying if I didn't respond immediately, they were closing the case..??? What on earth..???

I trust my Post Office implicitly, however, I don't trust the Halifax at all.

I'd given my correct address in 1988 (Yes, I know it must have scared them) and they said they'd NO record of me ever having a Mortgage with them, while at the top of the letter, they'd my mortgage number for my current home ~ (the mortgage was paid off about 10 years ago!) ~ where the only similarity in address is the word Cottage, and no I didn't have a Mortgage Protection Policy Insurance on it.

I've always been with the Halifax and I'd never claimed against the Policy I'd had no choice but to take (no Policy/no Mortgage was what I was told but when I moved from the House I'd been forced to take the Policy out on, I wasn't forced to take the Policy again, so I said nothing!

I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985 (I was going to clear them out, honest! They've been hiding in the garage for over 17 years!)

Any advice what to do now please, to stop me screaming down the phone at some poor soul, like a madwoman? With thanks x
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Sep 17, 7:49 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    1988 is now almost three decades ago.

You may well still have statements pertaining to your long-ago mortgage, but it looks as if Halifax doesn't.

You need to provide them with both solid documentary evidence of your mortgage (and any PPI attached) as well as a compelling complaint that any PPI was mis-sold.

If you cannot do this, Halifax will do as they said and close your "complaint"

Your "Trust" in Halifax (or lack of it) is irrelevant I'm afraid.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 17th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    -taff
    I've always been with the Halifax and I'd never claimed against the Policy I'd had no choice but to take (no Policy/no Mortgage was what I was told.....
    Originally posted by 3catbat
    Normal. It's allowed.

I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985
    Separate policies so not single premium which is good.

Any advice what to do now please, to stop me screaming down the phone at some poor soul, like a madwoman? x

If you took this policy out in 1985 it's not very likely it was PPI, more likely to have been life insurance or a combination of policies.

Dunston will be along shortly to explain in more detail.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985 (I was going to clear them out, honest! They've been hiding in the garage for over 17 years!)
    Was that separate policy payment life assurance or PPI? In the 80s, almost all mortgages required life assurance. Today, most people take out life assurance. It is by far the dominant health-related insurance.

So, was your insurance life assurance or PPI or income protection? (1985 would be rare for MPPI. It would be commonplace for life assurance).
    • 3catbat
    • By 3catbat 17th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    3catbat
    Thanks for replying DunstonH.

It was Mortgage Protection ~ not Income protection. It was made clear to me that it was for the benefit of the Halifax, not me (?!), and I either took the Policy, or I didn't get the Mortgage, and it was 1988 (it was the bank statements I'd saved since 1985 (cringe!). I dealt directly with the Halifax ~ this was done in their office and not through an Independent Agent / Financial Advisor.

I'd separate Life Assurance Policies, so at least they couldn't sell me them ~ I always went for the Endowment Policies (which all paid off well, apart from the last one (in approx 2005) ~ and the Endowment Policies in 1988 were Royal Life (£27.92) and Canada Life (£32.04). But, thank you for asking!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Sep 17, 9:13 PM
    • 13,192 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    zx81
    That would be a mortgage indemnity policy. It was ry common and no mis selling.

As you say, you either took it or you didn't get the mortgage. Nothing wrong with that.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 17th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    IAmWales
    I trust my Post Office implicitly, however, I don't trust the Halifax at all.
    Your post office (assuming that's where you collect your post from) is simply a receiving point. Royal Mail deliver your mail, they are not the same company.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 18-09-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It was Mortgage Protection ~ not Income protection. It was made clear to me that it was for the benefit of the Halifax, not me (?!), and I either took the Policy, or I didn't get the Mortgage,
    That's correct, I'm afraid.

You really wouldn't have been granted the mortgage if you hadn't also paid a Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee (MIG). This protected the lender, not you, and was indeed compulsory on a 100% mortgage or when borrowing with only a small deposit.

You really have no complaint and have wasted your time...

Sorry..
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    It was Mortgage Protection ~ not Income protection. It was made clear to me that it was for the benefit of the Halifax, not me (?!),
    That is MIG. Not PPI. Mig existed until the mid to late 90s. You cant complain about MIG.

and I either took the Policy, or I didn't get the Mortgage,
    Correct. That was your choice. Quite normal and acceptable.
    • 3catbat
    • By 3catbat 18th Sep 17, 1:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    3catbat
    Firstly, my apologies to all who have replied and I don't know how to reply to them. I only seem to be able to reply to the last Post?

Yes, Royal Mail deliver my mail ~ always in a timely fashion. The Sorting Office is in the same building as Royal Mail. The Postman is a personal friend of mine. There never has been a delay in delivering mail. To have received Halifax Mail dated 6th and 7th which covered: filling in a lengthy form with 14 days to return: a "you're at Stage One", and reply immediately or 'we'll close the case' (and delivered over a 3 day period), there's something badly wrong with the Halifax's communication, not mine.

And, for your further information ~ as I was self employed in 1984, I'd taken out a Policy to cover my Income, with Friends Provident, and my income was high, therefore, should I become ill and be unable to pay my Mortgage, I was more than fully protected. Not only would I be able to cover any Mortgage, but I'd be able to actually 'live' and pay ALL my commitments... and the Halifax were shown a copy of it by me. It was also linked to the RPI. There was no reason for the Halifax to need any 'protection', and it was NOT my 'choice' to take it. I wanted the Mortgage ~ they 'demanded'/mis-sold whatever the 'protection' was called and in fact I stated that surely it was 'illegal' to protect payment of any Mortgage 'twice'? They didn't agree.

I was, in fact, a Financial Advisor at that time ~ and had a basic income which was relatively high, but which I frequently trebled as at that time ~ actually all 'income' had to be earned by commission on written business. (I know 'improvements' were made in Financial Services, but they were after I'd been offered a position as a Sales Manager with a Commercial Painting and Decorating Contractor, with rather more 'normal' hours than often seeing potential Clients most evenings or even at weekends, rather than taking time out of their busy working hours!)

All mortgages I had, had a considerable deposit. I never had anything remotely near a 100% in my life! I was a 'safe' bet for any Mortgage Lender ~ I had all my savings with the Halifax, so they knew my financial situation ~ they knew all there was to be about my financial dealings.
    There was no requirement for any 'protection' for them. However, whatever you consider it was ~ it was a mis-sold ite

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 18-09-2017 at 8:41 AM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Sep 17, 5:46 AM
    • 13,192 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    zx81

There was no reason for the Halifax to need any 'protection', and it was NOT my 'choice' to take it. I wanted the Mortgage ~ they 'demanded'/mis-sold whatever the 'protection' was called and in fact I stated that surely it was 'illegal' to protect payment of any Mortgage 'twice'? They didn't agree.
    They don't agree because - as has already been explained - it wasn't either illegal or mis sold.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 18th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    -taff
    I was, in fact, a Financial Advisor at that time
    Then you will know that MIG protected them, not you and it was a requirement of the mortgage which you were not compelled to take out with them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was, in fact, a Financial Advisor at that time
    If that is true then you should know exactly what a Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee was and how your "complaint" therefore has no validity.

The first letter you received was just an automated acknowledgement, it's only the later letters which are directly addressing your individual concerns.

Regardless of the letters backing up and being received at the same time, there really is no point trying to advance this.

You are attempting to apply PPI complaint reasons to non-PPI insurance which covered the lender not you and was indeed compulsory.

You had the option of saving for a bigger deposit if you wanted to avoid paying this levy.

I have no idea why parts of your post have apparently been edited, so I'll leave it there.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 18th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,968 Thanks
    dunstonh
    And, for your further information ~ as I was self employed in 1984, I'd taken out a Policy to cover my Income, with Friends Provident, and my income was high, therefore, should I become ill and be unable to pay my Mortgage, I was more than fully protected.
    Well done. It is good to see someone take their income so seriously.

However, income protection (or PPI for that matter) has nothing to do with MIG. The posts above already tell you this. I suggest you read the responses again.

However, whatever you consider it was ~ it was a mis-sold ite
    No it wasnt. MIG was a bulk policy arranged for the lender which was paid for by all people borrowing above a certain amount in respect to loan to value. It was compulsory. You had no choice. It was not for your benefit. Your opinion of your risks has nothing to do with MIG. This is not PPI and it was not missold.
    • Magsterly
    • By Magsterly 18th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Magsterly
    Please can anyone advise on the Halifax reclaim process?

I called the Halifax PPI helpline to check if I had PPI on a previous loan; they did not confirm whether I did or not but they opened a complaint and said that I would hear in 8 weeks.
    Then I received a very large document to complete requiring a lot of personal information and stating they may call to follow up.
    Please can anyone advise how much more information Halifax tend to require? Their process seems to be a lot more complex than others I have dealt with especially since they haven't even confirmed yet whether I had PPI or not?
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

578Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you agree with @TfL's decision not to reissue Uber's licence on grounds including falling to report serous crimes.

• RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Follow Martin