Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 481
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 19,243 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If you think the figures in the calculation are wrong, let them know.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Better advice would be for the OP to only refuse the offer if he has documentary evidence showing he paid more than they are refunding. No point going back to them if he only "thinks" the offer is wrong.

I agree the amount cannot be somehow bartered....
    • Michael J Green
    • By Michael J Green 20th Jun 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Michael J Green
    Nationwide BS tell me that they have no records dating back beyond the statutory six years, so dismiss my claim in relation to Anglia Building Society from 1978 out of hand. Do I give up?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 13,143 Posts
    • 13,441 Thanks
    zx81
    Most definitely.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 19,243 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Nationwide BS tell me that they have no records dating back beyond the statutory six years, so dismiss my claim in relation to Anglia Building Society from 1978 out of hand. Do I give up?
    Originally posted by Michael J Green
    What were you complaining about? PPI was not retailed in 1978!

Did you really expect to make any headway on a complaint about an alleged sale 39 years ago? Without any records yourself, and with no PPI, I think it might have been wiser not to "complain" at all!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 89,435 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Originally posted by Michael J Green
    Seeing as this is 27 years prior to regulation of insurance and almost a decade before PPI was even sold, I think it is pretty much good reason to give up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Nora McCarthy
    • By Nora McCarthy 20th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nora McCarthy
    Nora
    My complaint goes back to a card i have had since 1997 and realised i was still paying PPI and have Received a letter stating "unfortunately unable to provide a final response at this time "
    The FCA has set a deadline for implementation of 29 August 2017 . Once implemented " I can then consider the remainder of your complaint and provide you with a response . I will respond as soon as i can . You will receive a final response before the end of November 2017 at the latest .
    Are they stalling / is the Law changing so there is less chance of any refunds ?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 89,435 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    My complaint goes back to a card i have had since 1997 and realised i was still paying PPI and have Received a letter stating "unfortunately unable to provide a final response at this time "
    The FCA has set a deadline for implementation of 29 August 2017 . Once implemented " I can then consider the remainder of your complaint and provide you with a response . I will respond as soon as i can . You will receive a final response before the end of November 2017 at the latest .
    Are they stalling / is the Law changing so there is less chance of any refunds ?
    Originally posted by Nora McCarthy
    There is no law change. The complaints process is not handled directly under the legal system. It is a regulated process.

The hold up is due to the Plevin ruling which has just come out of consultation by the FCA. Providers have to implement it by the deadline and can put cases on hold until then. Some providers have already implemented it. Some are sluggish. However, there is this deadline and you can do nothing until they are ready.

The key thing is that Plevin only applies to rejected complaints. It does not apply to upheld complaints. So, your complaint has failed. However, they need to check the commission to see if it was in excess of 50% of the premium. if it is, you will get a refund of the amount in excess. If it is not in excess of 50% then you get nothing. Your 6 month deadline to refer to the FOS, when you do get your rejection formally, does not start until you get that letter.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 20-06-2017 at 5:48 PM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • joannapem17
    • By joannapem17 21st Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joannapem17
    Joannapem17
    Hi,
    I have signed a contract with Fairtrade (they are not!)
    Their fee plus VAT is 45% Can I refuse to pay as I didn't realise it would mean nearly half of my PPI - hindsight is a wonderful thing
    Regards
    Joanna
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 13,143 Posts
    • 13,441 Thanks
    zx81
    Not if you agreed it in the contract.

45% has always meant nearly half, so they've not changed anything.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 19,243 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Their fee plus VAT is 45% Can I refuse to pay as I didn't realise it would mean nearly half of my PPI - hindsight is a wonderful thing
    Originally posted by joannapem17
    You didn't need "hindsight" to see in advance the % charge you would pay if you signed a legally binding contract with this firm. The charges are not hidden.

If you refuse to pay, you'll have debt collectors chasing you, a trashed credit history and ultimately a court appearance to look forward to.

I agree it's a waste of money, but too late for remorse now.
    • chrischarles
    • By chrischarles 26th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    chrischarles
    If you repaid in full every month then presumably there is no PPI reclaiming possible since no fees would have been charged?

I was largely at university during the potential timeline (10-6 years ago) so was avoiding credit card debts, and paying off each month. That said I know the products were mis-sold (e.g. Egg card), I just didnt have any direct fees from it.
    • Brenda0101
    • By Brenda0101 28th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brenda0101
    PPI Tools on MSE
    Hi, I used the Nationwide Building Society Enquiry form on MSE to advise I had PPI on my first mortgage back in 1989. I had no account no or paperwork. The info on MSE was very useful but alas, no success story follows! Here's the timeline:
    06.02.17 Nationwide confirmed I'd had PPI.
    15.02.17 I completed their online Claim Form.
    28.02.17 Nationwide say they can't find any trace of PPI on my records.
    03.03.17 I called them re their letter of 06.02.17
    09.03.17 Nationwide once again write to say they could find no trace of PPI etc.
    13.03.17 on the phone, they confirm I had been sold PPI.
    23.03.17 they send me a Claim Form. I called to say I had done one online on 15 Feb.
    03.04.17 I sent a written one in, mainly copied from the online one but with extra info I'd found.
    19.04.17 they write to say they are investigating.
    04.05.17 they threw my case out on the grounds that they "no longer hold any documents for the sale of PPI"; but they've reviewed it anyway (?) and decided it wasn't mis-sold! How can they tell if they haven't got any records? I gave up.
    • biancaswann
    • By biancaswann 28th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    biancaswann
    Ppi
    Please can anybody help i have tried claiming my ppi back from welcome finance but i have been told after 6 months that welcome finance wont look into the claim as was before 2003. They also state i have had 6 loans with them which i feel they do owe but wont look into it as could be alot of money. What can i do next?
    • Bal77
    • By Bal77 28th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bal77
    Ppi
    Hi all,

I am not sure which companies I have had loans with and mortgages with over the last 20 years. By using resolver can I do like a blanket search of several lenders or do I have to fill in the form for every lender I want to make a potential claim with.

all help appreciated.

thanks in advance
    • refinnejks
    • By refinnejks 28th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    refinnejks
    PPI on credit cards?
    I don't think I ever had PPI but I keep reading that I should still check. Was PPI only on loans or was it added to credit cards to? I remember having various credit cards and store cards in my late teens and early 20s and I think I said no to any random extras but should I be checking? I definitely had card(s) with Arcadia group and Debenhams and MBNA at different times but always small amounts of spending.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 28th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 15,039 Posts
    • 21,368 Thanks
    antrobus
    Hi all,

I am not sure which companies I have had loans with and mortgages with over the last 20 years. By using resolver can I do like a blanket search of several lenders or do I have to fill in the form for every lender I want to make a potential claim with.

all help appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Bal77
    It's every lender.

Bear in mind that if you are "not sure" which companies you have had loans with, the companies concerned may similarly be clueless after 20 years.
    • Sparksuk71
    • By Sparksuk71 28th Jun 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sparksuk71
    Hi
    I successfully made a Claim against Lloyds via a Claims Co (yes I know, sorry) this came back with 5 accounts from them that had PPI on which amounted to a lot of money.

unfortunately I did not realise at time of claiming that being previously bankrupt this has a bearing on it and the money is awarded to the Insolvency company, which ok I can accept.

my question is however at time of being declared bankrupt I would of only had 1 loan etc open with the same company, the rest would of been done via consolidation which landed me in a mess in the 1st place.

so to me potentially I would of thought that 4 of the rewards that were not current at time should go to me, or I feel they should...I am probably looking at it the wrong way but thought I would ask the experts on their opinion.

Cheers Simon
    • zx81
    • By zx81 28th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 13,143 Posts
    • 13,441 Thanks
    zx81
    I am probably looking at it the wrong way
    Originally posted by Sparksuk71
    Correct. .
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 28th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 89,435 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    so to me potentially I would of thought that 4 of the rewards that were not current at time should go to me, or I feel they should...I am probably looking at it the wrong way but thought I would ask the experts on their opinion.
    Bankruptcy is a line drawn in the sand. Everything the other side of that line is history and you dont get it.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 28th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 16,674 Posts
    • 18,717 Thanks
    amersall
    Hi
    I successfully made a Claim against Lloyds via a Claims Co (yes I know, sorry) this came back with 5 accounts from them that had PPI on which amounted to a lot of money.

unfortunately I did not realise at time of claiming that being previously bankrupt this has a bearing on it and the money is awarded to the Insolvency company, which ok I can accept.

Did the claims co know you had been bankrupt when they took your claims and have they given you a bill?.
    I don't think they should have taken the claim in that event.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,586Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter