Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 479
    • ade20
    • By ade20 10th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade20
    Hi can someone on here please help me, i have been trying to reclaim PPi for about 4 months now without any joy. i have a loan with Elderbridge ltd, formerly First Plus uk, I took the loan out in July 2008, apparently the Brokers where Freedom Finance who no longer exist. Barclays who pay the PPi claims out are saying they do not deal with anything by Freedom Finance ?? and to go back to Elderbridge who tell me to contact First Plus, who tell me to Contact Elderbridge ?? so i tried the FSCS, who need information from Elderbridge, but they say they do not hold the info they need. Its so frustrating who do i turn to, i have even filled out a form online with the Ombudsman, but speaking to them on the phone , they say even they might not be able to help.. i was mis sold , i was not even told it was in with the loan, its nearly £3000, PLEASE. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME GET THIS BACK , WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 17, 1:40 PM
    • 19,031 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If neither the FSCS nor FOS are able to help, it looks like your complaint is at an end.
    • ade20
    • By ade20 10th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade20
    I wont leave it there , this is money owed to me, everyone else with mis sold ppi seem to get it back , why cant i ??
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 19,031 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I wont leave it there
    Originally posted by ade20
    Where do you propose to go?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 88,773 Posts
    • 54,115 Thanks
    dunstonh
    This is how I found out that I even had a claim
    The FSCS telling you that you can refer complaints to them is not an indication you have a valid complaint or not. It just means they are dealing with them for those that do make complaints.

I guess I should take my case to the ombudsman
    You do not have access to the ombudsman.

Please can anybody tell me if the fact that I could of made a claim on my insurance ( despite them deceiving me ) should effect my claim for PPI refund
    The fact you could have claimed has nothing to do with whether it was mis-sold or not The claimable event came after the sale. However, they normally only use that as a response to indicate that you were eligible for the policy and could have claimed on it. So, cannot be missold on that particular point.

lso what can I do about Welcome finance lying to me not dealing with my claim on the insurance all those years ago?
    Provide your evidence supporting your allegation.

I was advised to make claim in this way by the FCSA, Makes me wonder if the FCSA were even involved in this whole process, or if the FCSA are a bunch of crooks themselves. )
    The FSCS is a compensation scheme. They are not crooks. That is just a really daft thing to say. From what you have said, you dont appear to have any complaint reason that can be evidenced. That is why you failed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 88,773 Posts
    • 54,115 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Barclays who pay the PPi claims out are saying they do not deal with anything by Freedom Finance ??
    Barclays are only responsible for complaints about First Plus. Not Freedom Finance.

Its so frustrating who do i turn to, i have even filled out a form online with the Ombudsman, but speaking to them on the phone , they say even they might not be able to help..
    The FOS cannot help you as the firm no longer exists. You dont have access to the FOS. As soon as the FOS have confirmed that, they will tell you as such. The FSCS are the ones you need to deal with.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ade20
    • By ade20 10th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade20
    Well i thought you guys on here where the ones to come to for help, so i dont know, but let me just tell you something else, the FSCS asked me for 1. A signed and dated copy of the Declaration form...2. Proof of the broker who sold me the ppi..3.A finance/credit report..4.A policy document.......if i get this info then the FSCS can proceed with the claim. At first Elderbridge ltd said they did not hold this info ?? then after a letter and a few phone calls oh and a cheque for £10 they said they could send me the info? when they did, it was the wrong files. so i sent a letter asking for the above again.Yesterday i recieved another letter with a disc and password with all the info i need on the disc. When i looked at the disc on my pc....Shock, it was someone elses details, of a loan they had taken out and payments etc etc, I phoned them and told them that someone could get booted out for neglegence if i went to the right people about this mistake, i have not notified the people whos details i have recieved , but if i did they could sue Elderbridge i am sure. What would you do in my position, they almost begged me to send the disc back Monday morning. i will send it back but i said if you get the info i need for my ppi claim, they said they would and have logged a complaint on my behalf......how bad is that..
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 19,031 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    .Shock, it was someone elses details,
    Unfortunately, none of this advances a potential PPI complaint...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 88,773 Posts
    • 54,115 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Well i thought you guys on here where the ones to come to for help, so i dont know,
    Just because you do not like the answers, does not mean they are unhelpful.

the FSCS asked me for 1. A signed and dated copy of the Declaration form...2. Proof of the broker who sold me the ppi..3.A finance/credit report..4.A policy document.......if i get this info then the FSCS can proceed with the claim.
    This is to ensure you are not committing fraud. Sadly people do.

I phoned them and told them that someone could get booted out for neglegence if i went to the right people about this mistake
    It is up the employer what action they decide to take. Not you. If the company is not known to the IC (as in first time report), then an error like this would be a reminder to be more careful in future.

i have not notified the people whos details i have recieved , but if i did they could sue Elderbridge i am sure.
    sue them for what? Courts make awards based on losses. What has this person lost?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    -taff
    Your steps were or should have been...

Send a SAR to Elderbridge

If they do not supply the information you have asked for, complain to the ICO who will force them to comply.

Mistakes happen.

You bought through a broker who went bust, which means the FSCS are your only avenue. Try to avoid swearing at them when they ask you for info or give you info.

Your next step now should be complain to the ICO that your SAR has not been fulfilled and that a breach of data protection has occurred whereby you have been given someone else's details.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    -taff
    Please can anybody tell me if the fact that I could of made a claim on my insurance ( despite them deceiving me ) should effect my claim for PPI refund
    Originally posted by jodytoady
    No, this will not affect your complaint.

Also what can I do about Welcome finance lying to me not dealing with my claim on the insurance all those years ago?
    Originally posted by jodytoady
    Nothing unless you have some kind of proof you contacted them.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 88,773 Posts
    • 54,115 Thanks
    dunstonh
    These people have had their private affairs shown openly to a complete stranger who now know where they live and what their finances are would you like it ?
    A small amount of info is no big deal and a lot of it will be public domain. Its inconvenient but has it actually caused a financial loss? No.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 11-06-2017 at 8:16 AM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    -taff
    Gosh Dunston, that's practically a sweary rant for you
    • ade20
    • By ade20 10th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade20
    Thank you Taff, i even sent a cheque for £10 for a copy of the documents i asked for, they sent me files i did not need. so do i contact ICO online ?? who are they ?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 88,773 Posts
    • 54,115 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thank you Taff, i even sent a cheque for £10 for a copy of the documents i asked for, they sent me files i did not need. so do i contact ICO online ?? who are they ?
    Well that didnt last long. Back in less than an hour.

We should nickname you scud as you seem to be firing off indiscriminately in no particular direction.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    -taff
    https://ico.org.uk/concerns/

And you are supposed to send a cheque for £10.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jun 17, 11:41 PM
    • 19,031 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    they sent me files i did not need. so do i contact ICO online ??
    As I said before, none of this will advance your PPI complaint. You may get a refund of your £10 SAR fee though...
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 11th Jun 17, 12:55 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I once had a letter from some debt-claiming people, with a letter to someone else printed on the back ; someone obviously selected "print both sides".
    I think I photocopied that side and sent it to the intended recipient, suggesting they could complain under the Data Protection Act.
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 12th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    Do you have any records? Have you asked the bank if they have or sent a SAR?
    Originally posted by -taff

Not sure what a SAR is, only got bank statements, but can search in loft we usually keep everything, thank you
    Last edited by duffs54; 12-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 12th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    A managed loan is one that is generally imposed by the bank as a means to 'help' people sort out problems such as overdrawn accounts etc. It normally has a much higher interest rate than an ordinary bank loan and has other strings attached such as no overdraft facility or access to other forms of credit.

It sounds like what you think was "insurance" was more likely interest and charges, although there might have been a PPI element.

On what basis would you complain and expect to be refunded?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well we were so desperate to get it sorted because of the interest HMRC was charging, we had no choice but to take a loan out, but had no idea that only £100 was going towards the debt, in those days no internet and forums to advise, we just went along with what they said?

do we have a case ?

cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,384Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter