IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you paint UPVC window frames?
Views: 103,966
# 1
jackkelly
Old 20-02-2007, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Can you paint UPVC window frames?

Hi all,
We are moving into a new house in april, now unfortunately the vendors put in new windows 2 yrs ago and they are fine. But in the lounge they had them made so that the frame is white on the exterior and brown on the interior window and french doors to match the dark wood furniture in the room. Now I don't like this look and plan on having mid to light oak furniture and floor so I think it will look odd!
Can anyone suggest anything apart from replacing a window and french doors as could do without this expense at present, it was suggested you could paint the frames white is this true and what does it look like?
Many thanks :confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
ormus
Old 20-02-2007, 6:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

international paints make a upvc paint primer. i assume you can then use any gloss paint topcoat.
sorry but ive no idea what the result will look like though.
Get some gorm.
# 3
annie-c
Old 20-02-2007, 7:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Haven't done it myself but tried Google out of interest and found this: http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/stry/tl200...ry,diycategory

apparently you can get upvc primer as an undercoart if you want to paint yellowed upvc frames - presumably it would work for painting dark ones white??
# 4
alanobrien
Old 20-02-2007, 7:25 PM

Yes, BandQ sell white paint for UPVC windows.
Never tried it though.
# 5
jackkelly
Old 20-02-2007, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks got to be worth a try as can't have them the way they are, but might get an expert eg painter and decorator to do them rather than myself, as gloss is difficult to get right.
# 6
nickj
Old 20-02-2007, 7:54 PM

steer well clear of diy store paint
get it from a trade mechant
# 7
misgrace
Old 20-02-2007, 8:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I wouldnt gloss the PVC, I have done a few P&D jobs where the owner has tried to decorate themselves, and in the process got the pvc frames into a right mess, or the pvc is so old and hadnt been washed that the dirt is grimed in.

What I have done in the past, is undercoat with oilbase undercoat, then the next day when dry, apply a coat of satinwood, and honestly it does the trick.
The satinwood blends in better than the gloss would do,and it does look nice and fresh.
The Following User Says Thank You to misgrace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Uniscots97
Old 27-02-2007, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misgrace
I wouldnt gloss the PVC, I have done a few P&D jobs where the owner has tried to decorate themselves, and in the process got the pvc frames into a right mess, or the pvc is so old and hadnt been washed that the dirt is grimed in.

What I have done in the past, is undercoat with oilbase undercoat, then the next day when dry, apply a coat of satinwood, and honestly it does the trick.
The satinwood blends in better than the gloss would do,and it does look nice and fresh.
Why not gloss? Reason I ask is I have a modern metal front door that is white glossed with a stained glass insert with white pvc frame to it. The PVC is going rather yellow and I thought glossing it the same as the door would brighten it up?
2014 in 2014 = 2089.52 - 14025.96 / 13694.07. The Other One: 12042.8111540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
# 9
misgrace
Old 27-02-2007, 4:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What I meant on my post and should have explained properly lol, was that you dont put gloss on straight away, undercoat it first to give it some base, then if you want gloss.
Personally satin looks better on PVC, but then I dont like gloss.
# 10
bob_a_builder
Old 27-02-2007, 4:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you say the internal window is brown, this would normally mean woodgrain I think ?
The woodgrain on my uPVC windows is in fact a metal coat over the upvc, so you might be trying to paint metal rather than upvc plastic
might affect the type of paint reqd
The Following User Says Thank You to bob_a_builder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jackkelly
Old 27-02-2007, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi thanks for that last post going to do some measuring up tomorrow so will ask the sellers then. Many thanks
# 12
sue97
Old 10-01-2010, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just wondering if you did this and how it turned out.

Thanks
# 13
savemoney
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Sue Op hasn't been back online since 22-08-2009
The Following User Says Thank You to savemoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
sue97
Old 27-01-2010, 12:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks savemoney.

Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully and would post photos
# 15
ic
Old 27-01-2010, 9:53 AM

Personally I think anything you do will look like a dreadful DIY bodge - plus it won't be reversible. Why not wait until you have the rest of the room decorated and the furniture in before deciding whether or not the current dark colour of the frame matches? By the time the windows are obscured by curtains, blinds and plants you'll probably find they fade into the background.
The Following User Says Thank You to ic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
eljaybe
Old 24-02-2010, 4:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It seems there is a lot of confusion regarding painting PVC. I found an excellent resourse on painting plastic from Thai Plastic wood after a friend of mine made an excellent job of painting a garden office that was clad in PVC.
Sorry I had to remove the link as I am a new user but you can probably find the page if you visit thai plastic wood and then visit their guides page.
I hope this helps to clarify your options.
# 17
kinda81
Old 05-07-2010, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I got my vinyl windows painted

Hi everyone.
I live in Toronto, Canada. I had the same problem (faded ivory windows). To change them- cost me a lot... I did a research and I found Aqua surtech. I ask them for an estimate (for my 21 windows in total) and after 1 month of waiting finally i got "magic" price - 3125$ plus tax. I was desperate but after another month of searching I found a company DM Neo paints.
I called them to get an estimate. In 2 days I already got an estimate on e-mail and surprise was that for the same 21 windows they ask 1650$ plus tax. In 2 weeks I got all my windows painted. It was over my expectation (they look brand new) and they are using the same paint as Aqua surtech.
So, it was unforgettable experience and I am very happy that I did this.
Good luck to everyone.
# 18
auldaw
Old 16-03-2011, 7:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default pvc painting

Painting pvc is relatively easy to do. Colour needs to be sprayed and can be purchased in aerosol format also. Frame first needs to be cleaned using a specific solvent wipe which also acts as an adhesion promoter.
Two wipes are available: one for new pvc ( directly after protective film removal ) the other for " old pvc" Product has good UV resistance and can be used in exterior environments.
Material has a high solvent content and is intended for use by professional painters in well vented areas. Drying is very fast and frames are handleable in about 30 minutes
# 19
phill99
Old 16-03-2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldaw View Post
Painting pvc is relatively easy to do. Colour needs to be sprayed and can be purchased in aerosol format also. Frame first needs to be cleaned using a specific solvent wipe which also acts as an adhesion promoter.
Two wipes are available: one for new pvc ( directly after protective film removal ) the other for " old pvc" Product has good UV resistance and can be used in exterior environments.
Material has a high solvent content and is intended for use by professional painters in well vented areas. Drying is very fast and frames are handleable in about 30 minutes
And what is the purpose of digging up a three year old post?
Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
# 20
keystone
Old 16-03-2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill99 View Post
And what is the purpose of digging up a three year old post?
Post reads a bit spammy to me although it manages not to mention the product concerned does read like a copy / paste exercise. What I can't fathom, though is why on earth you would want to faff about spending eons masking most of the building up to spray paint when there are perfectly good UPVC paints about you can apply with a brush. C'est la vie.

Cheers