Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion
    • 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion 27th Feb 12 at 1:42 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 27-02-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Page 19
    • anotherbigspender
    • By anotherbigspender 4th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    anotherbigspender
    Hi,

I'm new to all of this but have just started reading up on Avios collecting with the aim of part paying / upgrading flights to New York in 18 months or so.

I currently have, and have had for years, an Amex Platinum card which pays cashback in November. Can I apply for one of the Avios reward Amex cards and get the sign up bonuses or do I need to cancel my current card (after the cash back has paid) and wait six months until I can apply?

If the latter, my wife is a secondary card holder on my account. Could she apply for a Avios reward Amex and get the bonuses and then go through the referral procedure for me in six months?

Thanks
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Don't know the answer to your question but I suggest looking at www.headforpoints.com
    • anotherbigspender
    • By anotherbigspender 9th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    anotherbigspender
    Don't know the answer to your question but I suggest looking at www.headforpoints.com
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    You will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have held a Platinum, Gold or Green American Express card in the six months before you apply.

For clarity, you will definitely receive the sign-up bonus if you already have a BA Amex, SPG Amex, Platinum Cashback Amex or any Amex issued by Barclays, Lloyds or MBNA.

After the first year, when the £140 annual fee kicks in, you can cancel at any time for a pro-rata fee refund. American Express is the only card issuer to offer such a pro-rata fee refund.

American Express no longer has a minimum income requirement for any of its cards.
    by headforpoints
    The bold text suggests I am fine with the cashback card
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 12th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    steve1500
    definitely second headforpoints
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin