Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion
    • 27th Feb 12, 1:42 PM
    0 WOW
    Avios Points Boosting guide discussion 27th Feb 12 at 1:42 PM

Hi all, we've written a new Avios Points Boosting guide to help you earn flights (plus taxes) worldwide and max points' value when redeeming.

How did you find the info? Do you have any other ways to boost your points? What are your top ways to spend Avios points?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 27-02-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Page 18
    • millsmum
    • By millsmum 1st Sep 16, 10:09 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    millsmum
    thanks for the reply

so how do I fly pe for 4 using avios
    if we want to fly man to orlando how many points and how much in taxes?

and the availability seems very poor. va seems to have more availability
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 1st Sep 16, 10:24 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    You would need 2 credit cards in that case. You can check the points by making a dummy booking at britishairways.co.uk but the availability is quite poor, unless you book very far ahead. Might be better with VA.
    Debt @0% Jan '16; £9162, Jun '16 £5845, Jul '16 £3824, Aug '16 £3105, Mar '17 £2600 May '17 £2342
    #C25K Done!
    Mortgage overpayments 2017, 16k
    Student loan finally cleared!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 2nd Sep 16, 4:34 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Availability is always going to be an issue with Avios.

And with PE cabins not giving any guaranteed availability it becomes even tougher.
    • bigdunc99
    • By bigdunc99 22nd Feb 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigdunc99
    I have the standard BA Amex card and notice that it requires £20,000pa spend to qualify for the companion voucher but only £10,000pa with the premium card which comes with a £195pa fee. My intention is to save points over a couple of years to get enough for a long haul business class flight. Does anyone know if I can switch to the premium card in, say, year 3, use the £10k spend that year to get the companion voucher and use all the miles I've collected up to that point to get the two flights? Would the points collected in the previous two years still be eligible to count towards the two flights?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 22nd Feb 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    You can upgrade from the standard to the premium BA Amex card at any time. For example, if you are 10 months into your collection year and have spent £10K, you can upgrade to the premium card and immediately get the two for one voucher. You can also cancel the premium card at any time and get a pro rata refund.

The two for one voucher that you get with the premium card is valid for two years, so is much easier to use (the voucher from the free card is only valid for a year). If you are planning to fly on a particular date, it is best to book the flight as soon as it becomes available, 355 days in advance. Book the outbound flight only. Once the return flight becomes available, phone up to amend your booking and add the return. You may be charged a £35 admin fee for this, although the call centre should waive the fee as this is something you cannot do online.

You can collect Avios from lots of different partners and keep them all towards your future flight. You can collect Avios with BAEC, Avios, and Iberia, and move them from one account to another.

As an addition to the free BA card, I would suggest the Lloyds Amex Avios card. This costs £24 a year, but earns 1.25 avios per £1. For the first six months, this is doubled to 2.5 avios per £1. There is also no foreign exchange fee with this card, so it's a great card to get if you are having a holiday abroad in the next six months.

For more ways to earn, consider using BA Gate 365 or the Avios store instead of Quidco and Top Cashback.

And finally, spend some time looking at http://www.headforpoints.com/top-posts/ which has some very good guides which explain how to maximise you and spend your Avios.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 22nd Feb 17, 11:58 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    I have the standard BA Amex card and notice that it requires £20,000pa spend to qualify for the companion voucher but only £10,000pa with the premium card which comes with a £195pa fee. My intention is to save points over a couple of years to get enough for a long haul business class flight. Does anyone know if I can switch to the premium card in, say, year 3, use the £10k spend that year to get the companion voucher and use all the miles I've collected up to that point to get the two flights? Would the points collected in the previous two years still be eligible to count towards the two flights?
    Originally posted by bigdunc99
    Yes you can and yes you would. Bear in mind that there are better cards for avios earning. The Avios gold, for example.
    Debt @0% Jan '16; £9162, Jun '16 £5845, Jul '16 £3824, Aug '16 £3105, Mar '17 £2600 May '17 £2342
    #C25K Done!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Feb 17, 12:44 AM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Bear in mind that there are better cards for avios earning. The Avios gold, for example.
    Originally posted by Fletchasketch
    Huh?

Do you mean the Amex Preferred Rewards Gold Card?

If so;

Its a charge card, not a credit card, so no S75 protection

The earnings rate is 1 Avios to the £1, so less than the BAPP and no better than the free BA card.

You don't get a two for one flight voucher.

However, it does come with a 20,000 point/avios sign up bonus if you spend £2000 in the first three months.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/26/amex-american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-charge-card-uk-review-2/
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 23rd Feb 17, 4:44 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    For more ways to earn, consider using BA Gate 365 or the Avios store instead of Quidco and Top Cashback.
    Although you can redeem TCB earnings for Avios and the rate of earnings is usually higher.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 25th Feb 17, 3:09 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    Huh?

Do you mean the Amex Preferred Rewards Gold Card?

If so;

Its a charge card, not a credit card, so no S75 protection

The earnings rate is 1 Avios to the £1, so less than the BAPP and no better than the free BA card.

You don't get a two for one flight voucher.

However, it does come with a 20,000 point/avios sign up bonus if you spend £2000 in the first three months.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/26/amex-american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-charge-card-uk-review-2/
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Yes, that's the card. It's exactly the 20'000 bonus points which makes it better value than the BAPP. Obviously it depends on what you want to spend your points on, but paying £195 for a card purely for the upgrade voucher when availability in business is so hit and miss, doesn't make sense to me.
    #C25K Done!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 25th Feb 17, 3:21 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The BAPP comes with an 18K bonus, although you won't get this if you are upgrading from the free BA card.

You can of course have the gold charge card and the BAPP.

My OH and I will be flying to LA and back this summer in CW. The BAPP is allowing us to do this for 125000 Avios instead of 250000 Avios. The Avios saving is worth about £800 in my estimation. And I've earned about 8000 extra avios with the BAPP card compared with the free card. Well worth £195 in my case.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 25th Feb 17, 3:50 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    Congratulations, hope you have a lovely time. I don't think there's a one size fits all for credit cards, personally I wouldn't want to take the risk of their not being availability, but if it works for you then great stuff.
    #C25K Done!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 25th Feb 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Incidentally, the BA Amex voucher isn't an upgrade voucher. It gives two tickets for one Avios payment, regardless of the class of travel booked. It does give best value in the premium cabins though.

If you don't want to take a risk on getting the flights you want as redemptions, then perhaps Avios is not the scheme for you. But it is what this thread is about, and it works well for many.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 26th Feb 17, 10:11 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    I think that's taking a rather simplistic view. Not every customer is chasing the high avios business class fares, for some of us, the benefit is in being able to take last minute trips to Europe (where availability is good) for £35 plus a handful of Avios. For these people, the Amex Gold is definitely going to be a better bet. Like I said, there's no one size fits all answer to the credit card question.
    #C25K Done!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 26th Feb 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    If you are only interested in short haul "Reward Flight Savers", then I agree, the BAPP is probably not the right card for you.

However, we were both commenting on a post by BigDunc who is specifically saving for a long haul business class flight in a couple of years time. He will want a two for one voucher to get the best value from this redemption.

I think to pull together both our opinions, BigDunc's best strategy may be

1) Now - apply for the Amex Gold charge card, spend £2K in 3 months for the 20,000 sign up bonus. Also collect 1 avios for each £1 spent. If he gets an existing cardholder to refer him, the sign up bonus will be 22,000 Avios.

See http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/10/26/amex-american-express-preferred-rewards-gold-charge-card-uk-review-2/

2) Once the Amex Gold charge card comes through, cancel the free BA card

3) June (possibly earlier, depending on monthly spend) apply for the Lloyds Avios cards. £24 fee, but earn 2.5 Avios to the pound for six months. If Big Dunc is not currently a Lloyds customer, then there is a possible 4,500 sign up bonus if he is referred by an existing customer.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/11/05/review-lloyds-avios-rewards-credit-card-2/

4) Once the Lloyds cards are received and he's got the 22,000 sign up bonus from the Amex Gold, cancel the Amex Gold.

5) December ish - once a clear six months has passed since the Amex Gold account has been closed, apply to Amex as a new customer for the BAPP. 18,000 sign up bonus, or 19,000 if referred by an existing card holder.

So a potential 45,000 avios just in sign up bonuses. And you only need 125,000 for an off peak return for two (in Club World) to Florida or the West Coast.
    • Fletchasketch
    • By Fletchasketch 26th Feb 17, 2:22 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Fletchasketch
    This is a solid strategy, like it a lot!
    #C25K Done!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Some good earning opportunities this weekend on the BA Avios e-store, or the Avios e-store.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/
    or
    https://shopping.avios.com/en/

These sites work like Top Cashback or Quidco, but pay in Avios instead of cash.

It's often better to use TCB and buy Avios at 0.95p per Avios, but this weekend both Avios sites are offering double Avios until midnight on Sunday.

Eg, Holland & Barrett, 20 Avios/£ (TCB 12%)
    Ryman, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 9.2%)
    Thornton's, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 10%)
    Tesco Wine Direct, 10 Avios/£ (TCB 8%)
    Argos, 4 Avios/£ (TCB 1.1%)
    John Lewis 4 Avios/£ (no cashback available!)

And many many more
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Mar 17, 5:16 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Some good earning opportunities this weekend on the BA Avios e-store, or the Avios e-store.

https://www.shopping.ba.com/
    or
    https://shopping.avios.com/en/

These sites work like Top Cashback or Quidco, but pay in Avios instead of cash.

It's often better to use TCB and buy Avios at 0.95p per Avios, but this weekend both Avios sites are offering double Avios until midnight on Sunday.

Eg, Holland & Barrett, 20 Avios/£ (TCB 12%)
    Ryman, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 9.2%)
    Thornton's, 16 Avios/£ (TCB 10%)
    Tesco Wine Direct, 10 Avios/£ (TCB 8%)
    Argos, 4 Avios/£ (TCB 1.1%)
    John Lewis 4 Avios/£ (no cashback available!)

And many many more
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Great examples.
    • c45arlo
    • By c45arlo 13th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    c45arlo
    Avios E-Store Warning
    Had Avios E-store points retracted last week from an Appliance Direct purchase no valid reason. Struggling to get them restored for an item purchased in November last year which was not returned for refund. Avios are not coming up with a satisfactory response at this time.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Mar 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 4,177 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Had Avios E-store points retracted last week from an Appliance Direct purchase no valid reason. Struggling to get them restored for an item purchased in November last year which was not returned for refund. Avios are not coming up with a satisfactory response at this time.
    Originally posted by c45arlo
    Sadly, you will occasionally get transactions rejected from TCB and Quidco as well. But it's always worth trying these sites. You have nothing to lose.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 18,352 Posts
    • 7,591 Thanks
    richardw
    BTW Avios redeeming availability is good for tomorrow from London City, Gatwick and Heathrow to Nice.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

2,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin