PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to deter dogs from going to loo outside my house?

Comments

• Thanks everyone for your replies. (I didn't think of looking on the 'In My Home' board.) And at least I know that I am not alone in finding this so annoying!!

I'll try the Council option. I've got an idea of who is doing it, but he's a bit of a scary looking bloke and the dogs are the bulldog type ones, so to be honest I was too nervous to approach him. I am at home a lot so I shall be keeping note, but I don't think he has a regular dog-walking time. The problem is that the tree is obscured from my front window by a bush, so I'll have to go outside and watch him. I suppose I could pretend to be putting some rubbish out, or watering a plant, or something!

I've also heard that sprinkling pepper and chilli powder around works, and I've got some Olbas oil too.

I have a little toddler who is crawling around and just starting to walk, and so I really don't want to get any mess into the house.

** Just to update - I've looked at my Council's website and to report any environmental issues like dog fouling, you have to take a photo and send it to their website! So I've been out taking photos of dog poo, and sprinkling Olbas oil around. The neighbours must think I'm mad.
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Hope your efforts are successful - let us know how you get on. Good luck.
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    take a photo of the bloke and post it to dog warden.Let him see you doing it and he may think twice.If he doesnt follow him home and post the poo through his front door
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    We have the same problem; they like to do it at the end of our drive and last weekend there was a big pile of poo, dh has now cleaned it up last night. The dogs seem to like the small low bushes at the front. dh has banged on the window to some people who let their dogs use the path near us, they soon scurry away. I will try the Olbas oil, thanks for the tip.
  • Latest Update - the Council refuse service have been and removed the doo mess already! Result. Very efficient service, and saves me having to go out there with plastic bags and a peg on my nose. Makes my Council tax bill seem worthwhile after all. :rotfl:

Hopefully with the old poo gone, and all the olbas oil etc I've been chucking around, the dogs won't want to visit my bit of the street again...
  • whatatwit wrote:
    If I see an owner letting their dog foul on the pavement in front of my house, I go out with a bag and shout after them....*excuse me, I think you've forgotten something* they usually mumble that they haven't got a bag or some such nonsense, at which point I produce the bag and then stand and watch them clear it up.

We have an open front and park the cars on it, so any mess on the pavement gets picked up by the tyres and then tramped into the house.

It does help that we live on a busy road and there is usually a queue of traffic watching the embaressed owner.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: me too!!!
    We phone the council and got sent a sign saying that owners who allowed their dogs to foul would be fined. Only helps if the dogs are accompanied by owners unless the dog itself can read.:D
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    We have a similar problem, I've given up though. If I was to suggest to some people around here that they should "Poopscoop" I would get knifed or my windows put in :eek: I just go out with a couple of bags on my hand and pick it up or swill the pavement until its gone if I can't pick it up. In the area it's got so bad I now walk around looking down at the pavement ahead of me so I can avoid it :mad:

Funnily enough an article about it is in this weeks local free paper :rotfl: Liverpool city council have made £5,000 in fines already this year at £50 a time :D They're finally starting to crack down on it :j
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Peppermint oil and is good as well; I use it dilute in a spray to deter my cat from scratching on certain garden plants and have found it to be more effective than citronella.
    Well done for contacting the council - it really is a case of he who makes the most fuss gets the most done!
  • lisle
    lisle Posts: 198 Forumite
    we had this problem too with dirty pavements & driveways. after several neighbours complained to the council, the dog warden has been round & put up the 'fouling notices'. when i rang they suggested that a good deterrent was jayes fluid, which i have tried & seems to have done the trick (it's really strong, smelly stuff and shouldn't be used on plants, grass etc, but it's killed the weeds on the drive)
    I'm in the £2.00 club! terramundi cracked open Christmas Day £748 :p Started a new one Boxing Day!
  • cat79_2
    cat79_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    I have the same problem outside my block of flats, I have seen the guy point his dog in the direction of our front grassed area and shout at the dog to do his business there, the bloke is not too nice, and dont want to say to him directly as our letterboxes are outside and i wouldnt put it past him to post it through them instead. To make it worse he lives in the block two doors down, where there is no dog mess!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am aware there are no dogs in our block, and whilst I cant say all the mess is down to one dog, I know he is an offender. Luckily he doesnt live in my stair, and luckily the flats are factored and have contacted my factor who is going to send letter to everyone reminding them if they let there dog foul that they should pick it up. It is on offence not to. I am at work all day and unable to sit at the window all day keeping an eye out, if I was to video him on my phone or even take a photo, he would see, so not sure I want to do that. I have contacted the council and they have noted it and said they would come and clean it up, but it doesnt look like that has happened as its disgusting. To give you an idea of the kind of person I am dealing with late one night, as the dog was fouling my garden area, the guy then urinated in the same area, nice!!

Any joy with pepper, chilli, olbas oil? I want to get a small fence erected say 400mm in height to prevent dogs just walking on, yes they could jump fence, but try to deter them from going on my garden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure