IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Re-stuffing sofa cushions!
Views: 63,123
# 1
Amanda65
Old 20-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Re-stuffing sofa cushions!

Hi all - not sure if this is the right place to post this request so am happy for the Board guides to move if appropriate.

OH and I bought a suite (3-seater, 2-seater and arm chair) from Furniture Village about 6 years ago and it is now looking a little saggy and sad. When we purchased it we got a free set of covers which are still in the bag and would like to fit these but the cushions have lost lots of their stuffing and I would like to get them re-filled before re-covering them. They are filled with feathers and although I can find people who provide foam inserts am struggling to come up with feather stuffers at a reasonable price (only quote so far is 160 per cushion and I need four done!!!!)

I am in Surrey and happy to deliver them within a reasonable distance. Any ideas gratefully received
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda65 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Uniscots97
Old 20-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Why not do it yourself? Buy cheap feather pillows (try places like Rosebys, Debenhams in the sale, asda etc).
2014 in 2014 = 2089.52 - 14025.96 / 13694.07. The Other One: 12042.8111540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
# 3
Amanda65
Old 20-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am not very crafty and am a little worried that I may open the cushions and end up looking like I've plucked the entire contents of a chicken shed! Do you know if this is something I could do - someone said it needed a machine
# 4
MATH
Old 20-02-2007, 4:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I can only imagine the mess I would get into trying to DIY stuff feather cushions LOL

You can easily hand stitch the cases back and shouldn't need a machine, infact I would say it would be easier by hand than machine. You don't want to make the hole in the case stitching too big our you will have feathers everywhere but then again the smaller the hole the more difficult to refill and you wuill have feathers everywhere (notice a theme here LOL)

If it were me I would go for the foam inserts, I know feathers are squishy and soft but I'm forever banging up sofas so they look half decent, with the goam they look good all the time.

Good luck
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
# 5
lizzyb1812
Old 20-02-2007, 6:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've not done this myself, but ...

How about buying 4 cheap feather filled pillows. Hold the pillow short side up and shake until the feathers are all in the bottom 2/3 of the case. Fold over the empty 1/3 of the case and stitch it down with a few stitches - result should be a square'ish pillow. Take an original cushion out of its cover and hand stitch the square pillow to the bottom of the cushion before putting it back in the cover. You might even be able to get the right size/shape feather filled cushion inserts from Dunelm or somewhere similar. And no loose feathers at all

You could try with one pillow/cushion for very little outlay to see if it would work - it would be a sort of cushion-bottomer - the reverse of a mattress-topper. Or get a piece of foam to put in the bottom of the cushion?

lizzyb
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
The Following User Says Thank You to lizzyb1812 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
gumtree12345
Old 16-02-2011, 4:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default That's way expensive

Before I go on I must make it clear that I am not here touting for work.

I am in the business of refilling saggy old cushions and although I'd love to be able to charge 160.00 per cushion, I know I would never do any business. I don't know the size of the cushion in question but an average (25" x 28" x 5") cushion filled with a foam core and wrapped in a jacket of feathers would cost in the region of 80.00. and that is a decent low maintenance cushion.
# 7
bananadog
Old 16-02-2011, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi
Whatever you do don't stuff with feather pillows! I had just regular cushions that I bought for my sofa and they went all horrible, flat and lumpy quiet quickly so I had the brainwave of shoving 2 feather pillows inside each cushion cover as they were quiet large cushions.
I had feathers appearing all over the place and we also go pricked with feathers when we leant back on them (really annoying!)...also bear in mind these were quiet thick covers and the feathers still pricked though!
Just thought I'd let you know quick as I have a world of experience in diy brainwaves gone wrong! hahaha
Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
# 8
gumtree12345
Old 17-02-2011, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Bananadog is right. Feather cushions are made with feather proof cases to help stop the feathers popping out. If you do want to DIY you should very carefully undo the stiching on the case and stuff your feathers into the case. However, make sure you get the right blend or your cushion might just feel a little lumpy. For a longer lasting cushion I would highly recommend a foam core inside a feather jacket (fibre jacket if your allergic to feathers. Very durable and cosy. you will have to plump them up from time to time but not like you would a feather or fibre cushion. I hope I am not out of order here by pointing you to my website that will give you lots of info about cushions. If I am please delete these comments. cushionmaker.co.uk/seat-cushion
# 9
maman
Old 31-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanks for this. I have this problem but my sofas are much older. My DH delights in fluffing them up (OCD??) but I like the slouchy look. I think it's got to the point where something needs to be done. Unlike OP my covers are starting to wear a bit too. I was thinking to just replace with foam or maybe just buy new sofas. Loads of people I know have foam seats and feather back cushions, they seem to wear best but I don't much like the pristine look of them.
# 10
daisyroger
Old 05-08-2013, 8:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Why not DIY?
If you not good crafty then browse some blogs on Google to read and as well as for help. I was also not a good crafty even I can't sew only a single button but after browsing many of blogs I get the right and good knowledge to make some home made cushions, designer cushions etc.
Believe on yourself....as it is not a very much hard task.
Thanks