Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 8,644Posts
    • 13,179Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through it’s MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1961265&highlight=worried+jim

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of “Bangernomics” (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax
    £495.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesn’t retract (can’t use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driver’s seat belt doesn’t retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through it’s MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Lq92QTrBw

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, I’ve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90’s a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £k’s?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVmNCdf4tI&feature=related
    (You won’t be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between “old” and “modern” bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 68
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 30th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    It'll be getting checked out on Friday when I get paid.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Check it yourself before Friday. Looking under the wheel arch is simple enough. Check the inner tyre wall and tread area for damage. A friends 307 was being driven with part of the spring or mount resting on the centre of the tread area digging a groove in the tyre.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 30th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 5,554 Posts
    • 2,568 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Check it yourself before Friday. Looking under the wheel arch is simple enough. Check the inner tyre wall and tread area for damage. A friends 307 was being driven with part of the spring or mount resting on the centre of the tread area digging a groove in the tyre.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I was going to get it looked at by my regular garage yesterday (with the view of getting it fixed while I was there) but didn't have time. However, I've just checked myself this morning while checking my fluid levels and the spring seems secure to me and both look the same on either side, nothing digging into the tyre.

The sound it makes while going over bumps in the road is like a metal rod sliding loosely inside a tube or something. Nothing I've ever experienced before.
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    Have only just found this thread btw. I'm a confirmed banger basher and have owned some exotic sub £500 metal - more than 30 old stonkers over the years. Some bought and ran for a while and some I've bought, knowing they're uneconomical and impractical, but short-term toys that I would never have experienced otherwise. Had some fun running old oil burners on cooking oil too.
    I'm currently running our smallest and newest to date. A 2006 Kia Rio Crtdi. Probably the most boring car we've owned. I paid £375 for it as it needed both front wheel bearings sorting, 80 quid and lots of swearing and the car is now mint.

You know you're winning when your neighbour gives you that look of disbelief when you tell them you paid less than £400 for your car��
    Originally posted by 6ettinold
    Great success don't think I would dare change wheel bearings after reading some horror stories about doing them not a criticism.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Just completed the first month in the Fusion .

So far, averaged 62.5 mpg in it, well happy.

Did oil & filter, air filter, and put a couple of part-worns on the front for £85 all-in, taking initial spend including buying it to £95

Banked 3 months tax refund for Rover (£37.50) which was £7.50 more than taxing the Fusion for a year

Looking good, especially as the insurance next year may also be slightly cheaper than anticipated.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 3rd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    Did your Fusion have any service history can be a concern with common rail injectors sounds a good bargain.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 3rd Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Did your Fusion have any service history can be a concern with common rail injectors sounds a good bargain.
    Originally posted by mr_harris
    No, no history with it, but it was tidy enough to see it's been reasonably looked after...and anyway, if it only lasts me a couple of years it'll have paid for itself many times over.

The other thing is, the annual running costs are so low they make it more viable to spend a couple or three hundred quid on repairs over 2-3 years to keep it going....
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 3rd Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    You have a great buying record with bangers any tips when buying them would be great!
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 3rd Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Same as looking at any used car really.....
    before deciding on going to look at them:-

1. check asking price
    2. check MoT history
    3. check tax & insurance costs
    4. check mpg

If those things fit in your plan/budget, then go look at the car....then it's down to the condition, what you are willing to live with, etc...
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 3rd Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    Don't forget to ask about the cambelt.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Don't forget to ask about the cambelt.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    that's a very good question to ask
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 4th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,530 Posts
    • 3,905 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Unless the engine is chain-driven, in which case you'll just look like a tit.
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 4th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    Originally posted by GunJack

Yes but if you get a truthful answer is another matter sadly.

Do you always get the cambelt? changed after buying a banger if there is no paperwork to back this up.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 4th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,530 Posts
    • 3,905 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Do you always get the cambelt? changed after buying a banger if there is no paperwork to back this up.
    No, but I would always change it myself if there were no evidence to support a seller's assertion. (Unless a visual inspection showed clearly a new, recently datecoded belt, tensioners and water pump as applicable).
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 4th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    No, but I would always change it myself if there were no evidence to support a seller's assertion. (Unless a visual inspection showed clearly a new, recently datecoded belt, tensioners and water pump as applicable).
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Thanks wish I had the skill to replace them ok with basic jobs.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    Unless the engine is chain-driven, in which case you'll just look like a tit.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    made me laugh....yes, indeed you would, finding out should be part of the homework before looking at a car

Chains are unfortunately getting a bit like hen's teeth...
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke

I did with the Lupo, after 2 months of pleasant driving. The seller gave me some !!!! and bull story about how her fella (who worked for the AA ) had done it for her. Yeah, I wasn't really buying it, however I noticed that the belt had been done after 40k miles, so I was reasonably confident it would last a bit longer (it was right on the interval at this point).

I liked the car, I was happy to get it done. After smashing 60k+ miles on it. I got it changed again.

I recently viewed a Focus where the belt was almost snapped. We're talking 60% of the belt was physically torn.

Get it done. Not worth the risk. I've not got it done on this Mazda yet, but I probably will nearer Christmas.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 4th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 10,561 Thanks
    jimjames
    Not posted an update for a while but my £500 MK4 Golf TDI is still going strong. Owned for nearly 2 years, added 21k miles to it and how has 168k. Did 1000 miles last week alone in motorway journeys and it just eats up the miles while sipping fuel. Averaged 60mpg.

Also passed MOT last month with no advisories. Really can't complain at all, a good example of how bangernomics can work.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • mr_harris
    • By mr_harris 4th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mr_harris
    Not posted an update for a while but my £500 MK4 Golf TDI is still going strong. Owned for nearly 2 years, added 21k miles to it and how has 168k. Did 1000 miles last week alone in motorway journeys and it just eats up the miles while sipping fuel. Averaged 60mpg.

Also passed MOT last month with no advisories. Really can't complain at all, a good example of how bangernomics can work.
    Originally posted by jimjames

Great buy was the cambelt done on the car have you had to do many repairs.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    By the way, when buying the Mazda, I missed that the MOT expired end of September. Took it last week for a test.

Passed BANGERNOMICS!!
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    GunJack
    By the way, when buying the Mazda, I missed that the MOT expired end of September. Took it last week for a test.

Passed BANGERNOMICS!!
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Nice one gotta wait 'till March for mine....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin