Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 8,546Posts
    • 13,021Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through it’s MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1961265&highlight=worried+jim

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of “Bangernomics” (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax
    £495.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesn’t retract (can’t use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driver’s seat belt doesn’t retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through it’s MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Lq92QTrBw

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, I’ve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90’s a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £k’s?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVmNCdf4tI&feature=related
    (You won’t be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between “old” and “modern” bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 66
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 18th Aug 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Viewed the Demio and I am soon to be the proud owner of it Proud is a strong word. It's not got 60k on the clock, rather 74k which is still pretty low. Body work is all good, 4 brand new tyres, 5 door, alloy wheels, remote central locking, electric windows on every door except the boot, nasty aftermarket CD player that'll be coming out and impressively the electrics are all fine. Only damage I've found is a broken fog light glass, which is £15 off eBay. Won't be replacing it anyway.

Reasonable sized vehicle in truth. Surprisingly spacious. The cabin is like something from the 80's though and the engine bay is bloody archaic to look at Cable throttle etc. All kinds of parts that look like they were probably found in a 1980 Ford Cortina as well. I'm yet to find the OBD2 port, it's quite possible it doesn't have one.

However, there's something I quite like about it. It's old and a bit rough, but it comes across a solidly built car and they were very popular in Japan. Plus I reckon it'll be as easy as pie to work on. I might retrofit some heated pads under the seats for winter. It looks very easy as the cushions are simply zip on like your usual sofa Simplicity!!!

Engine bay looks like this:
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st Aug 17, 10:30 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Picking the Demio up next week. I'll put some decent photos up when I've got it. Viewed it again yesterday. Was surprised to see it had both driver and passenger airbags, nice little extra.

I think the only issue with this car is parts. I very much doubt spares are readily available.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 21st Aug 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Picking the Demio up next week. I'll put some decent photos up when I've got it. Viewed it again yesterday. Was surprised to see it had both driver and passenger airbags, nice little extra.

I think the only issue with this car is parts. I very much doubt spares are readily available.
    Originally posted by Stoke

Nah, parts are no problem. It's a standard UK car, they just didn't sell that well, but most parts are shared with other Mazda models. MIL had one for a short while before it got written off, and any bits I needed I got off the shelf from ECP.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Nah, parts are no problem. It's a standard UK car, they just didn't sell that well, but most parts are shared with other Mazda models. MIL had one for a short while before it got written off, and any bits I needed I got off the shelf from ECP.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Sounds good. If there was a single negative about the car, it's that it's single Din. I much prefer double Din radio slots as I tend to fit aftermarket double din radios with sat nav, but i'll live
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Picked up the banger on Friday. It's definitely unspectacular but it does run good and has got me to work today nice and safe so can't complain too much at that I'll try get some photos asap.

Need to install some reversing sensors I think. Demio is a fair bit bigger than I thought it was lol.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Couple of photos of it here. Having owned it for a week I've found a few little niggles and quirks that I need to sort.

Firstly, it's pulling, ever so slightly to the left. Now I know cars should pull to the left a bit anyway, but this feels a little bit too much. Checked the tyres, all fine, so perhaps just a wheel alignment issue.

Got a set of black matt reversing sensors from eBay. Can't see fitting them being too hard. I've done it before on the A4, the only thing is I don't have any wiring diagrams so it'll be back to busting out the old multimeter. Although it's not a huge car, it's not small either and the visibility at the back isn't great.

The radio..... is junk and located way way too low for me. I know none of us on MSE forums would dare touch a radio while operating a moving vehicle, but even at lights I don't like touching it because it's so low, you almost lean down. On the European and Australian models, the head unit is located where the switch panel is, so I know it's possible to swap them. You can see in the photo, I'm already part way through this job. Old radio out, nice Kenwood DAB jobby second hand off eBay for £40 half installed. Didn't come with the DAB aerial, but I'm banking on one of those Kinetic splitters working. Hope so.... yikes.

I've had my head under the dash though and it looks relatively straightforward. I can probably drop the switch wiring down, it's more getting the radio wiring up, however I'm thinking with a bit of hand contortionism that won't be hard either.

Finally, I've ordered a Universal Steering wheel control from eBay, that operates via Bluetooth. Will hopefully work, although I'm not actually holding my breath

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Looks good, if a little primitive!
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    Looks good, if a little primitive!
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Oh it's primitive..... and I'm pretty sure nobody at Mazda thought about sound insulation. A lot of road noise....

But it has remote central locking, airbags, and even the electric sunroof works pretty well. So i'll use it until it dies or I see something I prefer. For getting my to work though, it's been ideal so far.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    OMG!!! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before....right up my street

Just as background, my last few cars (fuel for 9,000 miles p.a.):-

1. (from Sep 17) ford fusion 2 1.4 TDCi, so 60+mpg
    £30p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £10 (paid £290, sold rover for £280)
    annual running cost - £1,072 inc. tax and £310 ins

2. (Apr 15 - Sep 17) rover 45 1.4 petrol, 38mpg
    £150 p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £100 (sold vectra for£150, plus rover had full fuel tank (£50+) when bought, paid £300 inc the fuel for rover)
    annual running cost - £1,600 inc tax and £240 ins.
    put it through 2 MOTs for 2 tyres, 1 wiper and 2 bulbs

3. (dec 12 - apr 15) vectra 1.7td, 50mpg
    £230p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £270 (£400 - £130 scrapping previous car)
    annual running cost - £1,400 inc tax & ins.
    2xMOT for 1 coil spring and 1 bulb

been doing this for many years now, saved a packet and driven a wider variety of cars than I would have done otherwise...long may it continue
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    OMG!!! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before....right up my street

Just as background, my last few cars (fuel for 9,000 miles p.a.):-

1. (from Sep 17) ford fusion 2 1.4 TDCi, so 60+mpg
    £30p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £10 (paid £290, sold rover for £280)
    annual running cost - £1,072 inc. tax and £310 ins

2. (Apr 15 - Sep 17) rover 45 1.4 petrol, 38mpg
    £150 p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £100 (sold vectra for£150, plus rover had full fuel tank (£50+) when bought, paid £300 inc the fuel for rover)
    annual running cost - £1,600 inc tax and £240 ins.
    put it through 2 MOTs for 2 tyres, 1 wiper and 2 bulbs

3. (dec 12 - apr 15) vectra 1.7td, 50mpg
    £230p.a. tax
    net purchase cost - £270 (£400 - £130 scrapping previous car)
    annual running cost - £1,400 inc tax & ins.
    2xMOT for 1 coil spring and 1 bulb

been doing this for many years now, saved a packet and driven a wider variety of cars than I would have done otherwise...long may it continue
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Wow, I'm amazed you got £280 for the Rover. That's brilliant work. I sold the Lupo (with a decent dent in the wing) for £350. Bargain motoring!!

Wonder how much this Demio is worth with less than 80k miles on the clock, and is actually running pretty well?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    Wow, I'm amazed you got £280 for the Rover. That's brilliant work. I sold the Lupo (with a decent dent in the wing) for £350. Bargain motoring!!

Wonder how much this Demio is worth with less than 80k miles on the clock, and is actually running pretty well?
    The rover was x reg, just before emissions-based tax It had a few scratches/dents but nothing major - interior was tidy and it ran well...advertised for 325ono, took 280 at first viewing...

Autotrader have 4 Demios up, from £299, £350, £550 and £689. Looks similar size to my fusion
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    The rover was x reg, just before emissions-based tax It had a few scratches/dents but nothing major - interior was tidy and it ran well...advertised for 325ono, took 280 at first viewing...

Autotrader have 4 Demios up, from £299, £350, £550 and £689. Looks similar size to my fusion
    Did you think about a Rover 75 after the 45? They're excellent value these days. Lot of car (and luxury) for the money. I assume the 45 had the K-Series engine in? Any trouble with it? I know they're prone to run a bit hot....

Size wise, the Demio is something along those lines. I haven't really worked it out. It's bigger than a MK4 Golf, for sure, maybe even a MK5. Somewhere between a Fusion and a Focus, without all of the refinement though I must admit, I was very tempted by Ford. I didn't realise how much you get for your money compared to the equivalent VW.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    Did you think about a Rover 75 after the 45? They're excellent value these days. Lot of car (and luxury) for the money. I assume the 45 had the K-Series engine in? Any trouble with it? I know they're prone to run a bit hot....

Size wise, the Demio is something along those lines. I haven't really worked it out. It's bigger than a MK4 Golf, for sure, maybe even a MK5. Somewhere between a Fusion and a Focus, without all of the refinement though I must admit, I was very tempted by Ford. I didn't realise how much you get for your money compared to the equivalent VW.
    No, a 75 was never on the cards, rubbish mpg and insurance costs. Last couple of cars before the rov have been diesel, so I was only changing the rover as I took wifey's TDCi mondeo to work for a fortnight and got 60mpg in it, thought to myself I really need to go back to diesel for the overall running costs....I really liked the 45 though, and at the time it was too good to turn down...

I always look at total running costs (buying, selling current one, tax and insurance) before looking at a car, some possibles got discounted this time round purely on tax and/or insurance costs.

As for VW, tax & insurance usually takes them off my radar
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    Oh, and yes K-series, decent performance and ran nicely...I had no overheat probs with it
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Stoke
    No, a 75 was never on the cards, rubbish mpg and insurance costs. Last couple of cars before the rov have been diesel, so I was only changing the rover as I took wifey's TDCi mondeo to work for a fortnight and got 60mpg in it, thought to myself I really need to go back to diesel for the overall running costs....I really liked the 45 though, and at the time it was too good to turn down...

I always look at total running costs (buying, selling current one, tax and insurance) before looking at a car, some possibles got discounted this time round purely on tax and/or insurance costs.

As for VW, tax & insurance usually takes them off my radar
    Interesting. Can't say I've had any issues with insurance on VW. Tax is comparable. My thing with VW is, despite my love of them, you get nothing.... unless you buy something more than a base model. Most base model Fords have a lot more than the VW.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 20th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    Insurance always comes in 50-100 higher for similar other makes, and none of them are in a low enough tax bracket, even 1.4 diesel (i think) Polo was in £115 bracket or more....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,900Posts Today

6,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin