Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 7,964Posts
    • 11,884Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through it’s MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1961265&highlight=worried+jim

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of “Bangernomics” (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax
    £495.

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesn’t retract (can’t use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driver’s seat belt doesn’t retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through it’s MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Lq92QTrBw

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, I’ve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90’s a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £k’s?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVmNCdf4tI&feature=related
    (You won’t be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between “old” and “modern” bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 64
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 25th Nov 16, 10:46 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ard123en
    The Lexus looks good do all the toys work ?
    • markelock
    • By markelock 28th Nov 16, 10:32 AM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    markelock
    The Lexus looks good do all the toys work ?
    Originally posted by ard123en
    Hi

Pretty much yes.

The light is out on the radio cassette, but a fix is beyond my abilities.

Heated seats (front and rear) both work, which is nice. all electrics work.

its a real thing of engineering beauty.
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 14th Dec 16, 7:43 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ard123en
    Discovered the transmission sump was rotted out and leakig on the coupe replaced it with oil and filter

Shifting much better now but £170 lighter
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 15th Dec 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Stoke
    My current car is hopefully going to be another Bangernomics success. Bought an Audi A4 1.8T, with dual climate control, all the toys, smooth to drive, lovely gearbox....

for just £900. If it lasts as long as my Lupo (Which it won't, the Lupo is a tank) then it'll be another gem.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 15th Dec 16, 10:46 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    My current car is hopefully going to be another Bangernomics success. Bought an Audi A4 1.8T, with dual climate control, all the toys, smooth to drive, lovely gearbox....

for just £900. If it lasts as long as my Lupo (Which it won't, the Lupo is a tank) then it'll be another gem.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    A lot of toys to go wrong and a turbo...
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 15th Dec 16, 10:50 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Stoke
    A lot of toys to go wrong and a turbo...
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Depends which way you look at it. Turbos are turbos. If they're maintained properly, they'll last for a long time, if not, they won't. This one has been well maintained so fingers crossed.

Toys are toys, usually easy enough to fix with a bit of effort. My problem is, I've had enough of the crappy hatchback bangernomics. I fancied something a bit different.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 15th Dec 16, 5:46 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Depends which way you look at it. Turbos are turbos. If they're maintained properly, they'll last for a long time, if not, they won't. This one has been well maintained so fingers crossed.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Spot on. Still on my first turbo in a 15 year old Golf, first clutch too now I think of it.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 15-12-2016 at 5:48 PM.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 27th Dec 16, 9:13 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 23,199 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    If anyone has a Focus (one in question is a 2000 model), then there'll be one going for bits end of Jan.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 27th Dec 16, 9:25 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    If anyone has a Focus (one in question is a 2000 model), then there'll be one going for bits end of Jan.
    Originally posted by CKhalvashi

put me down fro the back nearside central locking module and the front o/d drivers door electric window module please!
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 30th Dec 16, 7:48 PM
    • 9,977 Posts
    • 6,588 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Let the turbo cool down before you park it I think is the rough advice. The turbo is not even being used at low revs is I guess the strategy there

dream banger that is and the main cost I expect is insurance depending on age, etc
    https://s21.postimg.org/49mruqaon/Lexus_1.jpg
    Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 30-12-2016 at 7:51 PM.
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ¼ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you can’t go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 30th Dec 16, 9:14 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    I think it is harder these days to keep a car going due to all the electronics, turbochargers, emissions control, injector systems and safety air bags.
    When I bought my first car it was so simple, it was a pre war 1931 Austin7, cost me £12, I made some improvements and sold it a year later for £15.
    The one I remember doing the most work on was a Ford van with the 1172cc side valve engine and 3 speed gearbox.
    The engine was good but the gearbox gave problems, found one in a scrapyard and fitted it but it had different problems so stripped both down and was able to make a good one from the parts.
    These days I would not attempt a big job and leave it up to a trusted garage, present car is 10 years old on 108000 , (I bought it 21 months ago at 59000 miles) and I will try to keep it as long as I can afford to on my pension.
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 21st Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    Paradigm
    So the Saab has (possibly) died due to total loss of oil pressure, I suspect the sump oil strainer is blocked with sludge... something these engines were prone too. I might whip the sump off when we get better weather & have a look if she can be resurrected.

To keep me on the road I bought this...

55 plate Mazda 6 1.8 petrol, 115000 miles, full MOT, service history up to 80000.
    There's a small amount of rust around one of the rear wheel arches but it is small, the inside is excellent though.

It had/has a couple of issues... the fuel gauge sender was kaput with the gauge always reading empty, sorted with a second hand one off ebay for £15 & it has some hesitation when cold which clears when it warms up.
    It starts first time, runs well (when warm) & drives really good.

All for the princely sum of £650.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • lazer-zxr
    • By lazer-zxr 13th Feb 17, 9:53 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    lazer-zxr
    MOT failure time.
    02 Picasso hdi 2.0
    Recent new battery, auxiliary belt and clutch.
    Failed on drop link, welding, rear brake pipes, orange bulbs too faded, headlight too dim, wiper blades.

Quoted £243 to repair and pass.

I'll sleep on it. Any thoughts?
    DFWB £53470 of £59353 repaid. LBM feb15
    MFWB On hold due to low int rates
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 14th Feb 17, 6:11 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    For dim headlights use sanding lotion followed by glass Polish. For orange bulbs use same procedure....

Wiper blades is easy.

For the welding try autosol with a metal brush, but it may be too late.

Rear break lines can look quite bad, but sometimes a simple clean is probably all they need.

Drop links, are easy to do yourself bit the problem is rusted nuts. If you do change them it may be a good time to change the rear suspension.

Then maybe try another mot centre.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Feb 17, 10:12 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    MOT failure time.
    02 Picasso hdi 2.0
    Recent new battery, auxiliary belt and clutch.
    Failed on drop link, welding, rear brake pipes, orange bulbs too faded, headlight too dim, wiper blades.

Quoted £243 to repair and pass.

I'll sleep on it. Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by lazer-zxr
    Seems very reasonable to get another 12 months of motoring.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 14th Feb 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    Seems very reasonable to get another 12 months of motoring.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    i agree, the bulbs wipers and headlights are easy DIY so possibly some dosh can be saved there, but i too would be having another year from it then see what it fails on next time.
    • lazer-zxr
    • By lazer-zxr 14th Feb 17, 2:27 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    lazer-zxr
    i agree, the bulbs wipers and headlights are easy DIY so possibly some dosh can be saved there, but i too would be having another year from it then see what it fails on next time.
    Originally posted by gilbert and sullivan

Thanks guys, I've obtained a breakdown from the garage £50 brake pipes; £11 drop links; £80 weld; £4 bulbs; £12 wipers ; £20 labour, +VAT.
    Ive instructed them to go ahead with the repairs, seems reasonable, and I do have a lot of faith in the car itself, even though it's not the most entertaining car, it is our second car, and ideal for DIY, my hobbies, and short journeys round the town. You are right, its a reasonable amount for another year of motoring.

Thanks for the opinions though, much appreciated.
    DFWB £53470 of £59353 repaid. LBM feb15
    MFWB On hold due to low int rates
    • Frudd
    • By Frudd 14th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Frudd
    I like the term Bangernomics!
    My car cost far too much to qualify, I spent just over £2k on my vectra 55 plate. Mind you it is going on 5 yrs since I bought it so I think it counts!
    Had a real tough decision just before xmas, £500 repair or not. I went with the repair for two reasons really, 1 there is every possibility that whatever I replaced it with would need some work, 2 I am sentimental!.
    £0/£2017 extra income
    £1070 credit card
    • Farzackerly
    • By Farzackerly 15th Mar 17, 12:13 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Farzackerly
    I like the term Bangernomics!
    My car cost far too much to qualify, I spent just over £2k on my vectra 55 plate. Mind you it is going on 5 yrs since I bought it so I think it counts!
    Had a real tough decision just before xmas, £500 repair or not. I went with the repair for two reasons really, 1 there is every possibility that whatever I replaced it with would need some work, 2 I am sentimental!.
    Originally posted by Frudd
    Well, if it was 2K five years ago, it would be right in Bangernomics territory now, anyway.
    • markelock
    • By markelock 17th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    markelock
    £600, previous owner had this since 2005, and was a garage owner.
    needs some welding on the exhaust, and a service. 19 years old, 140k, and next year becomes a classic for insurance.

I've still got the other also. Which is now 20 years old so goes on a £190 classic policy.

Last edited by markelock; 17-03-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,222Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter