Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    • 7,524Posts
    • 11,154Thanks
    worried jim
    Your Bangernomics successes
    • 19th Feb 12, 1:34 PM
    Your Bangernomics successes 19th Feb 12 at 1:34 PM
    Hello my fellow cheapskates. After spending nearly three years running a car for as cheap as possible, mainly as I ran it throughout all but he darkest depths of winter on WVO/UVO (waste or used vegetable oil), in a Vauxhall Astra I have had to say good bye to the old girl as it is no longer economical to repair to get it through itís MOT (which has now expired yesterday).

Running my Vauxhall Astra on veg oil-

Being of limited budget but a growing fan of ďBangernomicsĒ (old banger cars + economics) I have decided to catalogue my experiences of running a sub £1000 car and I would like you to share your experiences if you are doing the same, weather through tight-fisted choice, i.e.-
    -Why buy a new car when you can run one successfully for the equivalent of two new car finance payments.
    -Or like me because you have no choice.

Now to begin with we need to agree on price constraints. I have gone in with a £1000 price limit even though I paid half this, if you disagree lets discuss reasons, I am all ears.

Here is my set up-
    A Rover 600 2.0sli.
    12 months MOT
    No tax

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Metallic Blue, MOT-02-2013. Honda engine, ABS, Alloy wheels, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Alloy wheels, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Alarm, Drivers airbag, Electric windows, Height adjustable drivers seat, Remote central locking,
    The mileage was approx 118,000, Cambelt changed @79,000, loads of history (not fsh though) all the old MOT certificates.

The bad bits about the car are-

Electric aerial doesnít retract (canít use a carwash)
    Drivers seat lumber is worn
    Paint is faded on roof and boot lid.
    Radio is missing a button and unable to pick up many stations
    Small cigarette burn in rear passenger seat
    Driverís seat belt doesnít retract
    Not sure if Air con is fully working (suspect needs a re gas)
    Wind noise at speed from top right of driver door
    Both wing mirrors are tatty (held together with tape and a nylon tie)

The good bits-

Drives very well
    All tyres have lots of tread
    All electrics work
    12 months MOT
    Goes like stink
    Better than the last car I had.

So in a nutshell I have bought a car with a brand new MOT for the price of getting my existing Astra through itís MOT just to face a similar if not larger bill for the same next year.
    Now there is nothing to suggest that in a years time I face the prospect of a large MOT repair bill and may have to start again with another car, hopefully not, and this is to document how far you can go with a banger.

I have found an original Topgear review by Jeremy himself from 1993-

I have had a good look around ebay and it is full of Rover parts should I need any- I currently have the wining bid on a Haynes manual so I can really get to know the car should I need to.

I will be the first to admit that this is a gamble, no nice new car with no faults or warranty should any arise, hell, Iíve bought a car from a now defunct manufacture, how will this effect me? Now in my mind when I was a teenager in the early 90ís a banger was a Hillman Imp, Vauxhall Chevette or as in my case and my first car a Talbot Sunbeam. These were cars that if you wanted a radio (or a rear heated element on the rear screen) you had to fit one your self. Cold morning- fingers crossed, MOT time meant welding new sills. Now a banger today comes with power steering, ABS, electric windows, fuel injection and in some cases air con, so why spend £kís?

Top Gear guide to Buying a Banger with Quentin Wilson- From 1997
    (You wonít be buying anything featured in this clip but it gives you the idea and you can see the difference between ďoldĒ and ďmodernĒ bangers.
    So by now you should be getting the jist of how to join in. Share you car and model any feature it may have and keep updating!

The £495 beast-

Tatty rear bumper-

Poor paint condition on roof (with free seagull crap)

Poor paint condition on boot lid-

Tatty wing mirror-

Missing radio button-
    Last edited by worried jim; 19-02-2012 at 2:32 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Page 63
    • Witless
    • By Witless 12th Sep 16, 9:14 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Not sure if Scooby would like to be referred to as a 'banger' but it cost me less than £1400* (& a few hours fettling)

MOT prep** was 7 miles at 4500 rpm in third

Passed, with no advisories.

CO 0.020% (required 3.5% or less)
    HC 176 ppm (required 1200 ppm or less)

Total costs for 1 year

Depreciation - nil (12yo car, apparently worth more than I paid for it a year ago - similar model/year/mileage on well known cartrader site at least £1k more than I paid)
    Tax - £295 (Subaru AWD)
    Insurance - £315
    Fuel - £1224
    Servicing £85 (and I have 12-15 litres of oil left for the next 2 services: doing your own maintenance saves a fortune)
    MOT £30.50

To say I'm content is an understatement.

* realistic cost was approx £1000 to £1100: but instead of selling the Megane it replaced (120k miles, 56 weeks MOT - value £300 -£400?) I gave it to my mate's daughter as she needed a car but couldn't really afford one. (Mate does the majority of the maintenance (but doesn't charge), knew the car & knew it would be ideal for her so he paid half her insurance)

**not strictly true - we do rolling maintenance on our cars, checking/fettling each one about every 6 weeks. Part of the £85 cost was £12 for a steam clean (we only have cold washers). If anything the cars are 'over maintained' if there is such a thing.
    • mcjordi
    • By mcjordi 12th Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    Picked up a 2003 fiesta zetec on a 03 plate yesterday for £200 mk6 shape for a friend of mine.
    spent £50 on some new plugs and leads and servicing it.. flew through MOT
    lad who was selling thought it was scrap
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
    • decnet
    • By decnet 20th Sep 16, 11:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Hi, for a bit of fun I wrote this review of my old Astra in the format used by PistonHeads for their readers car reviews. I was toying with the idea of submitting it but as it's just an ordinary car I decided not to, so I figured as it may be of interest to people who enjoy bangernomics I might as well post it hear.

Why I bought it:

When it became apparent last year that our office space was being moved and Iíd have to commute a much greater distance for work, I started looking around for a car that would be best suited to the task. It would need to cover up to 20,000 miles a year in relative safety and comfort, and be as reasonably priced as possible. After giving it some thought I started to become slightly obsessed with doing it as cheaply as I could, so as to minimise the impact on my finances. This lead me down a somewhat different path than I might have otherwise followed, so while others were out shopping for new BMWs I was scouring eBay and Gumtree for very much the opposite end of the car spectrum.

I didnít want depreciation to be a major factor so decided to set the budget low, Iíd aim for around £1,000 and see what the search brought up. Obviously reliability was be an important consideration so it would need to be something sensible and ideally I wanted a mid-sized 5 door hatch for practicality. As Iím fairly tall I didnít want a super mini sized car, I also wanted something that would be more at home on the motorway but nothing bigger as mid-sized is all I need.

Diesel was the preferred fuel type due to the desire for high mpg and an engine that could cover big miles, this was also around the time diesel prices started to reach parity with petrol so it seemed the obvious choice. Air bags and ABS were a must, as was power steering, at least front electric windows, remote central locking and air con (although admittedly this has a leak on mine currently).

Iíd considered and dismissed a great many cars when I came across a Mk4 Astra Eco 4, which was up for sale for £1400 with a fair amount of recent work and no obvious mechanical issues to note. I decided to go for it and ended up getting it for £1200 after some negotiating. I got the train up to the area where it was being sold from and the seller met me at the station, I looked over the car and it checked out and matched the description. The drive home was pleasantly faultless and it even came with enough fuel for the journey.

I appreciate this wonít be everyone's cup of tea as we all have different priorities but I think theyíre great little cars. Theyíre big enough to use regularly on the motorway and powerful enough for normal driving, whilst at the same time when driven sensibly they can return up to 70 mpg. They only cost £30 a year to tax, youíll spend £60 a corner for quality tyres and they have a solid flywheel so thereís no expensive DMF issues to worry about. Thereís also no DPF and being a, shall we say less than modern car the repair costs are sensible and a lot of work is a DIY prospect. My example is also recent enough to have the desired air bags and ABS.

After taking ownership I had the cam-belt changed and an oil and filter change carried out for peace of mind. I also had all 4 tyres replaced and as it happened it required a new exhaust, which I wasnít initially aware of. Other than that though Iíve just added a new headunit to make listening to podcasts from my mobile phone easier and to add hands free capability in case of any phone calls whilst on the road.

The Eco 4 models got a high ratio gearbox, low rolling resistance tyres and a lowered ride height, as well as aerodynamic under trays and a rear spoiler allowing them to get into that £30 tax bracket and achieve a slightly higher mpg than than the standard model which theyíre based on. So far Iím pleased with my choice, it might not be the most exciting car in the world but for the money I canít fault it, itís now covered 12,000 miles in my ownership and hasnít failed to start or left me stranded, touch wood that continues!

What I wish Iíd known:

Nothing much springs to mind but I did do a lot of research before I decided on the one I ended up buying.

Things I love:

Knowing the cost per mile is low and that itís a faithful workhorse.

Things I hate:

Nothing much but itís frustrating that the drivers window doesnít shut all the way on itís own, itís a job Iíve been putting off but will aim to get to this year.

This is where I think the car scores highly, the cost per mile is pretty much as low as I could get it, when considering the outlay on the car itself.

Where Iíve been:

Iíve spent a lot of time on the M4 and nowhere much else, the car was purchased with this in mind though.

What next:

At the moment Iím happy with what I have.
    • mcjordi
    • By mcjordi 16th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 9,051 Thanks
    fast approaching a year since i bought the scenic.. done around 6k in it and only spent approx £50 on servicing and repairs.
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    Dont know if i've posted my latest sub £1,000 purchase, but heres she is

2.5 litre V6 petrol MG ZT.

Bought for £750. Wasnt without its problems. Clunky front suspension - although MOT legal - necessitated (as it was driving me mad) new anti roll bar bushings, shocks, top mount bearings and top mounts.

All going well now though, full years MOT.

• jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 10,591 Posts
    • 8,594 Thanks
    fast approaching a year since i bought the scenic.. done around 6k in it and only spent approx £50 on servicing and repairs.
    Originally posted by mcjordi
    About 7 months for me with the Golf and nearly 10k miles. Had a few bits to spend out on but it's still be very reliable motoring for not much money. I'll need a couple of new tyres soon but that's not something I'd skimp on
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yay. Thank you for all your help Colin. Thankfully it's feeling a little better #lovelychap

• Going to try and see if it's possible. If not my 400 day run of never missing target will end :(

• Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• Follow Martin