Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > URGENT HELP NEEDED! Argan Oil Fraud (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
URGENT HELP NEEDED! Argan Oil Fraud
Views: 27,080
# 1
WOW Factor 0
j1n
Old 19-02-2012, 8:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Angry URGENT HELP NEEDED! Argan Oil Fraud

MSE Insert: Our Warning - free skincare trials may be subscription trap news story has some tips that may help.

Back to the original post...

Don't know where to post this..

I ordered a £3.99 bottle of Argan oil and now I have had an order receipt for £83.80 and the bank says it can't stop the payment.

How do I stop it? Otherwise they will bill and charge me this amount every month....HELP PLEASE!

i am not normally a gullible person, but I have been had this this

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-11-2012 at 3:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
lvm
Old 19-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I assume they have your card details and will use that to take the payment.

Phoning your bank and claiming your card has been stolen will cancel the card and have a new one generated with different details.

You'll need to have a credit card/cash to get you through the next week without a card though.

If the payment has already bee requested I'm not sure there's anything you can do except return the items you receive and wait for a refund.
DEBT - £10,176.11 (Jan 2011) ---> £2,901.70 (Jan 2014)
SAVINGS - £0 (Jan 2011) ---> £35688.08 (Jan 2014)
MORTGAGE - £65,000 (Jan 2011) ---> £62, 160.35 (Jan 2014)
CHALLENGES - MFIT-T3 #3(£7052.16/£35k)
NET WORTH - (£10,176.11) (Jan 2011) ---> £34, 126.03 (Jan 2014),
# 3
kerri gt
Old 19-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Where / who did you order this with and have you contacted their customer services dept? It could be a genuine error on their side rather than ripping you off intentionally. Did your bank confirm the amount is pending to go out of your account?
Oct 2014 NSD Challenge 12/15
SEPT NSD 17/15 AUG NSD 17/14
JUL NSD 16/12 MAY NSD 7/11 APR NSD 14/16
MAR NSD 17/17 FEB NSD 18/15 JAN NSD 16/12
# 4
jenniewb
Old 19-02-2012, 2:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

First of all, whats the site/place that you purchased this?

Have you reported this to the police as a theft? Have you contacted Trading Standards to report them? Consumer Rights may be able to help further with advice as to what you can do legally.

When you have the crime reference number, this is what you need to go to your bank with, this may help in terms of reclaiming any money.

If you made an order, were you sent a receipt or some form of contract terms and conditions?
# 5
j1n
Old 19-02-2012, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Angry

Thanks everyone.
I ordered it off a website (can't remember which one) but I spoke with the bank and they said that I can close my account completely and open a new one and set up all the DDs and SOs again. Reporting my card as lost will still let the payment through, according to the bank.
I found a number on the invoice that they sent me and I have called them to cancel the order and I now have an email from them confirming this and also I have a reference number. I did send them an email saying that I will be reporting this to the police, but I haven't yet.
I will just have to keep an eye on my bank transactions everyday and see what happens. I might have to close my account and open a new one. I can't see any other way of cancelling the payments, if one does get through. However, I will try and call them again tomorrow although it seems like they have an automated service only. The address on the invoice is Florida!
I will keep you all posted and hope this does not turn into a police matter.
thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to j1n For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
savemoney
Old 19-02-2012, 4:14 PM

Its similar scam as those acai berry things once you give them permission or authorisation to take money you cant stop payments, they are clever about this they often hide discretely how payments are made only way is to stop your card
The Following User Says Thank You to savemoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
savemoney
Old 19-02-2012, 4:16 PM

http://www.scambook.com/search/repor...ssence+ofArgan
The Following User Says Thank You to savemoney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
j1n
Old 19-02-2012, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemoney View Post
Thanks Savemoney. So many people have been caught out by them!

I think the best course of action for me is to talk to my bank in the morning, close my bank account and open a new one. I can't see any other way out of this one.

Thanks again.
# 9
j1n
Old 19-02-2012, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just received this email from them:
Dear Sir/Madam,

If your email inquiry pertains to CANCELLING your shipment or your account, please note that we DO NOT cater to these requests via email. Here are the options we have for cancellations:
1. Calling our Toll Free number at 1-866-881-1391 <tel:1-800-964-4593>
to speak with a representative
2. Calling our Toll Free number at 1-866-881-1391 <tel:
1-800-964-4593> and press the number 1 to cancel your account via IVR
3. Visit our website at
www.essenceofargan.com and click on the easy
cancel button

If your are inquiring about our product, we will contact you by priority on which this email was received. For urgent matters, we highly recommend that you contact our Customer Service team at 1-866-881-1391, they are ready to help you from Mondays to Fridays, between 8:00am to 11:00pm and Saturdays, between 9:00am to 6:00pm (EST).

Please take note that if your account is still within the trial period, you will be required to return a portion of your last shipment with an RMA number which we must issue to avoid further charges. Please contact customer service if you are uncertain of the return policy or if you have any questions pertaining to returns.
If you do not hear back from us within one (1) business day, please call our Toll Free Number at 1-866-881-1391 (US and Canada) or +4408712846563 (UK) and we will confirm your account status.
Best,
Essence of Argan Customer Service Team
Available Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 11:00pm or Saturday 9:00am-6:00pm (EST)

I have gone back into their site and cancelled the order. It has come up saying the order is cancelled and I have taken a screen shot of it and saved it for future reference. However, I will be giving the UK guys a call tomorrow and confirm, once again, that the order is cancelled. If they want me to send the original back to them, I will gladly do so at my expense - better than paying £83+! I can't believe that someone could do this and the banks can not help at all.

A lesson well learnt!!
# 10
jenniewb
Old 20-02-2012, 1:46 AM

OP, you mention you haven't reported this to the police yet, can I ask why? Its very easy to do this and you are more likely to get anything back from the bank if you do this. The non emergency number is 101 or altrernatively call your local branch. Waiting for them to beg for mercy and refund you is by the looks of things, very unlikely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenniewb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bloss0m
Old 20-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to bloss0m For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
j1n
Old 20-02-2012, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloss0m View Post
Thanks. I will definitely do this from home, after work.
# 13
j1n
Old 20-02-2012, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have now filled in the Fraud form and also spoke with my bank.
They reckon that I should talk to the bank in 15 days and they will take up the dispute. They cannot guarantee that will stop any further payments being made. I asked how, in that case, they could stop these payments which are unathorised. Talking to the dispute team is the only answer and then they can't say for sure that it will be of any help.
My question is that why is it that when you need help from the banks they are not interested? I need them to block these payments - surely they have the systems to do that. apparenlty these scam companies can take money under different company names and that is why the banks can't help.

I am now £83.80 and £92.11 short and my account has gone overdrawn and I have no idea of how I can stop this!!

I have a crime reference number from the Fraud form that I filled but I don't know what to do with that!

I am livid, scared stiff that this could go on and on forever and I don't know where to go to get the payments stopped. I could just cry and cry but where is that going to get me. I need help from the bank but I don't know if they canhelp. I don't feel confident after speaking to them today. They said that even if close the account and go to another bank, the payments still could be taken and the bank will chase me for those! Nice to know they are on my side...NOT!!
# 14
jenniewb
Old 21-02-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I have now filled in the Fraud form and also spoke with my bank.
They reckon that I should talk to the bank in 15 days and they will take up the dispute. They cannot guarantee that will stop any further payments being made. I asked how, in that case, they could stop these payments which are unathorised. Talking to the dispute team is the only answer and then they can't say for sure that it will be of any help.
My question is that why is it that when you need help from the banks they are not interested? I need them to block these payments - surely they have the systems to do that. apparenlty these scam companies can take money under different company names and that is why the banks can't help.

I am now £83.80 and £92.11 short and my account has gone overdrawn and I have no idea of how I can stop this!!

I have a crime reference number from the Fraud form that I filled but I don't know what to do with that!

I am livid, scared stiff that this could go on and on forever and I don't know where to go to get the payments stopped. I could just cry and cry but where is that going to get me. I need help from the bank but I don't know if they canhelp. I don't feel confident after speaking to them today. They said that even if close the account and go to another bank, the payments still could be taken and the bank will chase me for those! Nice to know they are on my side...NOT!!
The only other suggestion would be to close the account and start another with a different bank- not sure how legit that would be and if they would come chasing you for payments after money has been requested.

I guess they (the bank) must have some legal twist to the money being taken out as if its theft clean and simple it would just be a matter of finding the criminals and stopping them/arresting them but from what you've said they don't seem to be doing this- did you ask them why not? When I had money stolen from my account (wasn't a subscription so slightly different to you) they immediatly put a stop to anything else by changing my bank card and I got the money back "after an investigation" which was 4 weeks later. I had the hardest time working around a missing £500 but more money coming out from the same people wasn't something they felt I need worry about- I remember asking this at the time.

The crime reference number is the number you have if you need to speak to someone about whats happened- eg the Police or similar, if say you have more information or they find more information and need to locate your file. Its more valid to the people working on it then it is for you in this case byt say for example it had been a different crime, say a mugging and you remembered more information the next day, you'd be able to call up the Police general office, speak to anyone and give your crime reference number, they'd be able to pull out your details and add to what was already there rather then if you didn't have a crime reference number and had to relive the whole thing again to another stranger/police person just so you could add the details or wait for whomever had been dealing with your case to come back from the weekend or from holiday.

Also, if anything similar does happen again, you have the reference number to prove and explain this had happened before and it can help the police get the right people.
# 15
lollipopsarah
Old 21-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry to hear you got caught out, a scam like this was on bbc a few weeks ago (the one with gloria hunniford etc) where a lady was in the same situation for some skin cream stuff, eventually got about 4 moths back via trading standards. Her bank also didn't want to know as there was some sort of clause - perhaps something to do with being outside the uk.
Good luck and thankyou for the warning.
xx
# 16
j1n
Old 21-02-2012, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Very late last night I rang the bank again (3rd time) and cancelled my card. I have to ring the bank's Fraud Dept this evening.

I am disappointed with the bank in that at the first instance they said I could close the account, second time round they told me that even if I close the account, the company may get the money and the bank will chase me to recover it (incidently that would happen even if I changed banks - duh!) and then finally someone said I can just cancel my current card and hopefully they will not be able to get any more money. It seems like they are not trained well enough to deal with such issues. So annoying that different people in the same bank give you different information. to date I have lost £200!

I rang both companies (yes, in the US!) and they both said they will refund the money. I have my doubts. For one of the company, one of the Directors is based in Watford - he is a director of 70+ companies! The bank told me that he could try and use my card through any of those companies - it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

I feel like contacting Watchdog and see if they can highlight the problem to the wider audience so that he is exposed and no-one can fall for this scam.

I tried to look for his business address on Google Maps and it is just a house...of course that does not mean that he is not running a business (or all of his businesses) from the same address. It could well be a place he is using as his postal address for his scams! One of the company names is
YKNOT GLOBAL LTD
25 SHERIFF WAY
WATFORD
HERTS
UNITED KINGDOM
WD25 7QS

I feel sick to the stomach that people can get away like this. Some may say karma will get such people, but I'd just like to have my money back.
# 17
j1n
Old 21-02-2012, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok...the latest is that I have just checked my bank statement and I have received one of the amounts back. I have not had anything from the other company although they did say, when I rang them, that they will refund within 7-10 days. I certainly hope so!

In the meantime, I have cancelled my card and will be receiving a new one sometime next week, I expect. Fingers crossed that this all works out ok.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me in this matter and I do sincerely hope that no-one makes the mistake I did and hand over my card details to unscrupulous individuals/companies.

I will keep you posted on as and when things happen, i.e. when the second refund comes through.

Thanks for reading my lengthy scripts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j1n For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
rootitooti91
Old 29-02-2012, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry essence of rip off argan

I've experienced exactly the same thing and its made me worried sick. Fell for the add as it was attached to a newspaper thinking this was legit. Once you've filled in the details then terms and conditions come up. Alarm bells rang so i researched the net to find 1,000's all over the world being caught by this. A free sample is exactly what it isn't!! I rang my credit card company and cancelled my card tried to extract information from them how to go on they were clueless. Already the £3.99 was taken because you've signed up they don't class as fraud. Also they expect you to send the free sample back to Florida at your expense
If you don't they charge you 69.99 dollars.!!
Snag is you've agreed to this. Had a further discussion with my credit card company who are totally unsympathetic and said basically tuff and if they had known they would not have reissued another card!!
so DO NOT WHAT SO EVER SIGN UP to free samples if they ask for credit cards!!
They need closing down and financial companies need to get to grips and support their customers.
# 19
j1n
Old 29-02-2012, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Rootitooti, I am sorry you have been caught out too. I heard recently that the banks are obliged to stop payments - they can't just shrug their shoulders but unfortunately they do! I too cancelled my card and got a new one but I am checking my bank every morning to ensure that no money has gone out to these fraudsters. There have been articles in the Daily Mail and I know that Radio 4 did a 'show' as well.
All I can suggest is that you keep a very close eye on your account and contact the Trading Standards Office. They might be able to help.
I am petrified too, just in case they manage to take more money from my account.
I am sure they will have an office in the UK. I had to send mine back to Hertfordshire and I sent it by special delivery as that requires a signature. They had to refund my money. Overall I think I have lost about £20 but atleast I got the money back.
Take care.
# 20
huon
Old 04-09-2012, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default What was the outcome?

Did you receive any further charges from this company once you cancelled?
I have been caught out by "essence of Argan" the same way, Originally charged £3.99 for a "free" sample.
Could not cancel with them as the phone number they gave me was dead.
Asked my credit card company to stop payments which they said they would. Then another payment was taken. Credit company said they would refund but now they can't as the new payment was from a different reference number. i.e. Argan used another account.
I have cancelled my card and am in dispute with the Credit Card company. I doubt I will get far with it though. I am really annoyed with them because they said they would stop my card making payments to this retailer but now they have made one.
Anyway, would just like to know if this was the last you heard of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to huon For This Useful Post: Show me >>