Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    YellowA4
    Recruitment Agencies Are Useless!!
    • 18th Feb 12, 10:24 AM
    Recruitment Agencies Are Useless!! 18th Feb 12 at 10:24 AM
    In my experience they are all terrible.

I have applied for many jobs advertised through recruitment agencies and every time have been ignored, brushed aside or found out the job doesn't exist after weeks of trying to get hold of them. Not once have I even been offered an interview.

I have also applied for 2 jobs which the actual companies have advertised directly. I have sent the same CV to them for the same positions as the agencies, each time have been invited to attend an interview and been offered the job! (one of which I have accepted)

Obviously the recruitment agencies are either lazy or stupid, if not both. I am obviously well qualified for the position and interview well, they may find this out if they made some effort to talk to me. As it is they can't even manage an email to tell you what the hell is going on or that they have even received you CV (maybe they think I am psychic)! If I ran a company it would annoy me that they treat potentially great staff members in this way and that my company was missing out on employing them..............

Anyone else feel the same?
Page 9
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 15th May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    TyreLever
    Anybody know any good ideas of how to !!!! these agencies off? I'm thinking of spamming them with fake CVs or somethin.

Maybe applying for their jobs with farcical information.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Ha ha! I am finding the same frustrations. Same jobs on all the boards. Hardly ever receive acknowledgments. Its not hard to send an auto acknowledgement! If you do get to the interview stage they become your best mate ( anticipating the commission) then drop you like rubbish if you don't get selected. My personal hate is the ads that have statements telling you if you don't hear back in x time assume you have not been selected. Lazy...... No, agencies don't want to help job seekers they just want commission.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th May 17, 9:12 PM
    • 15,101 Posts
    • 8,528 Thanks
    motorguy
    They are just lazy and have no idea how to match a position to an application. I am sick of waiting for calls back from agencies.
    Or even a reply
    Originally posted by Frankfaz2000
    With respect - they're not - or they wouldnt be in business.

Remember they work for (and get paid by) the employer. They arent there to help YOU find a job, they are there to find an employee for a job.

The trick is -
    • Make sure you have at least 80% of the required attributes for the job
    • Ensure your experience for those required attributes is described and clearly worded in your CV
    • Send in your CV and move on. If you are among their top candidates on paper, they will contact you. If you are not they wont. Dont sit around waiting.

You CV will be scanned either by an automated program or by a very low level admin person for keywords. The best of the CVs will then get given to someone who will actually read it. The best of those will get a call back.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 15,101 Posts
    • 8,528 Thanks
    motorguy
    Anybody know any good ideas of how to !!!! these agencies off? I'm thinking of spamming them with fake CVs or somethin.

Maybe applying for their jobs with farcical information.
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    Heres a good idea - concentrate on getting a job?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 16th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I got another rejection today so decided instead of getting annoyed, to email the recruiter and ask if he sees something obviously wrong on my CV as I'm getting so many knock backs. He suggested changing my job title as its confusing / doesn't accurately sum up my duties. Hopefully this might help. However.... I'm a bit concerned I might be seen to be lying!
    Just had a call from an agency telling me congratulations I'm through to the next stage of a job I applied for. Only I didn't apply for the £8 an hour job they had on offer.....I applied for an assistant manager role that mysteriously doesn't exist anymore! Fishing.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 16th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    I got another rejection today so decided instead of getting annoyed, to email the recruiter and ask if he sees something obviously wrong on my CV as I'm getting so many knock backs. He suggested changing my job title as its confusing / doesn't accurately sum up my duties. Hopefully this might help. However.... I'm a bit concerned I might be seen to be lying!
    Just had a call from an agency telling me congratulations I'm through to the next stage of a job I applied for. Only I didn't apply for the £8 an hour job they had on offer.....I applied for an assistant manager role that mysteriously doesn't exist anymore! Fishing.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    When you say knock backs, I assume you mean knock backs from agencies and not direct employers? If that's true, I'm not really surprised. (and that's NOT a personal comment to you)

I personally would treat any 'advice' you get from a recruitment agent, with extreme caution... shall I say? Most of them are complete sh*t for brains, and don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

Agencies 'phish' all the time! They'll try every trick in the book, and I mean every trick in the book... to get references from you!
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th May 17, 3:43 PM
    • 6,107 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    ohreally
    Most of them are complete sh*t for brains, and don't really have a clue what they're talking about.
    Originally posted by jbond

• mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 18th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    mattcanary
    With respect - they're not - or they wouldnt be in business.

Remember they work for (and get paid by) the employer. They arent there to help YOU find a job, they are there to find an employee for a job.

The trick is -
    • Make sure you have at least 80% of the required attributes for the job
    • Ensure your experience for those required attributes is described and clearly worded in your CV
    • Send in your CV and move on. If you are among their top candidates on paper, they will contact you. If you are not they wont. Dont sit around waiting.

You CV will be scanned either by an automated program or by a very low level admin person for keywords. The best of the CVs will then get given to someone who will actually read it. The best of those will get a call back.
    Originally posted by motorguy

They don;t even do that, do they?

They constantly ring you up about a job and don;t have a clue what you have written on your CV, ie: they repeatedly ask you questions that they would have got an answer to if they had just glanced for a few seconds at the CV!
    Last edited by mattcanary; 18-05-2017 at 6:44 PM.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 18th May 17, 9:53 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    [/B]

They don;t even do that, do they?

They constantly ring you up about a job and don;t have a clue what you have written on your CV, ie: they repeatedly ask you questions that they would have got an answer to if they had just glanced for a few seconds at the CV!
    Originally posted by mattcanary
    Yes, and then they've got the arrogance and nerve to advise you on what you should and shouldn't be putting on your CV! The bl**dy cheek!
    No wonder their reputation is in the gutter!
    • mrpbrown22
    • By mrpbrown22 24th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrpbrown22
    The Good, The Bad and Ugly of Recruitment Agencies
    First of all well done getting a job.
    These Recruitment Agencies give us a bad name, there are good ones out there that tries to help.

They are only after your CV to gain on their database, and as a Recruiter this is very disappointing.

Your CV should be catered around the job. Employers and Recruiters only spend up to 10 seconds viewing your CV, and they use ATS (Keyword Search SEO) to find matching CV'S for their postion.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • jbond
    • By jbond 24th May 17, 1:27 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    These Recruitment Agencies give us a bad name, there are good ones out there that tries to help.
    Originally posted by mrpbrown22
    The problem is that there are only say 5% of agencies that ARE any good, and THAT's being generous!

They are only after your CV to gain on their database, and as a Recruiter this is very disappointing.
    Rather interestingly, you left out THE most important point! It isn't JUST about filing your CV, it's about references too!
    Agencies will do ANYTHING to get hold of references, hence why fake jobs are VERY common, just to get references!
    Also, "gain on their database"? That's an odd way of wording it! "gain"? eh?

Your CV should be catered around the job. Employers and Recruiters only spend up to 10 seconds viewing your CV, and they use ATS (Keyword Search SEO) to find matching CV'S for their postion.
    I always wondered why you got calls from agencies, about jobs that weren't even a close match to your skills, or where it's VERY clear that the agent couldn't even be bothered to read your CV properly!
    • freshminds
    • By freshminds 2nd Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    freshminds
    Don't judge all
    You cannot say that all the recruitment agencies are useless or not trustworthy. Yes, few of them may be. But I have had a great experience in this concern. I have applied for an executive position in a firm. And as a fresher, I got that job with the help of Freshminds. I would highly recommend you to contact this recruitment agency as they offer amazing recruitment services.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 2nd Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,166 Thanks
    Guest101
    You cannot say that all the recruitment agencies are useless or not trustworthy. Yes, few of them may be. But I have had a great experience in this concern. I have applied for an executive position in a firm. And as a fresher, I got that job with the help of Freshminds. I would highly recommend you to contact this recruitment agency as they offer amazing recruitment services.
    Originally posted by freshminds

Sure you did. Congrats freshminds, on working with Freshminds!

I know all the major firms are offering executive positions to 18 year olds with a few years retail experience.
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 2nd Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    I have at present, six different adverts out for a variety of job roles. I get an application to every role, every day, from the same man. Which now I've ended up blocking him from applying as his skills have nowhere near matched what is required for the job roles.

Finding the right candidates is extremely frustrating, for example. I have a role where the first stage is a practical test. You pass that and the company then do the formal interview. So I could look at CV's and think this candidate has great experience, but they interview terrible so I can't even put them forward for the job as there is literally no point.

Oh and to clarify, I send a rejection email to every unsuccessful candidate and also give feedback where possible. And! I even call people back and never post a fake advert. There are many bad examples of recruiters in this country, but there are many amazing ones too.
    • goatfertility
    • By goatfertility 3rd Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    goatfertility
    I have at present, six different adverts out for a variety of job roles. I get an application to every role, every day, from the same man. Which now I've ended up blocking him from applying as his skills have nowhere near matched what is required for the job roles.
    Originally posted by lufcgirl
    Oh FFS. Give him a blinking chance then. Just because you think he doesn't have the skills, why don't you actually speak with him and find out. Have you even bothered to consider that he might just not be a wizz at writing a CV. Not everyone is. If you think the 'ideal' candidate is just going to arrive at your door on a silver platter every time then dream on.
    Last edited by goatfertility; 03-06-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 3rd Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    Out of interest, do YOU always write accurate job descriptions?
    Not implying you don't, but candidates can only go by what's written in the job spec.
    However, at the same time, in some ways, I don't blame the chap for doing that, as it's called a scattergun approach, which is EXACTLY the same approach that a lot of agencies use when firing off CVs to companies, in the hope that one of them gets a result.
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of people do that, often because of pressure from the job centre. If they don't, they risk being sanctioned.

So I could look at CV's and think this candidate has great experience, but they interview terrible so I can't even put them forward for the job as there is literally no point.
    Have you ever stopped to consider WHY they might 'interview terrible'? If they have great experience, they've obviously been successful in interviews so far. So why the problem now?
    I'm not saying that the particular candidate you mention DOESN'T indeed 'interview terrible', but what YOU think of a candidate, an actual employer might think different, but of course, you're main concern is being able to make money out of this person, in the fastest possible time, so you have different priorities, of course.

I'm afraid most agencies are far more concerned about making as much money out of people as possible, rather than actually offering advice and support.
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 4th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    mattcanary
    First of all well done getting a job.

How can you do that effectively if you don;t know what the job is? Adverts are often so vague spouting mumbo-jumbo that means nothing at the end of the day.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 15,101 Posts
    • 8,528 Thanks
    motorguy
    How can you do that effectively if you don;t know what the job is? Adverts are often so vague spouting mumbo-jumbo that means nothing at the end of the day.
    Originally posted by mattcanary
    They usually have a series of "must haves". If i think i've the relevant experience i make sure those must haves are prominent on my CV.
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 5th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    Oh FFS. Give him a blinking chance then. Just because you think he doesn't have the skills, why don't you actually speak with him and find out. Have you even bothered to consider that he might just not be a wizz at writing a CV. Not everyone is. If you think the 'ideal' candidate is just going to arrive at your door on a silver platter every time then dream on.
    Originally posted by goatfertility
    I have considered this, and I have in fact spent more than six seconds reading his CV. But when the job description explicitly states the person needs to have a good history of working in a particular enviornment and he hasn't performed this role since 1987 when he last worked, then no, he isn't suitable.

Instead I e-mailed him and politely asked he doesn't apply to the same role each day as I have his details. To be replied to with text speak, no capital letters and no forward thinking.

And finally, if you think I am stupid enough to believe that a perfect candidate will just turn up, you'll be mistaken. I spend many a day interviewing candidate after candidate in job centres, giving them a chance so demonstrate their skills, to help them with writing a coherent CV that will help them...we don't all chuck some mud at the wall and hope it sticks. Some recruiters are actually very good at the job and care about their candidates. Every candidate I have out to work, I have found, I have registered, I have interviewed and done site inductions and any query they have goes through me which is resolved promptly and on time.
    • lufcgirl
    • By lufcgirl 5th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,826 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    lufcgirl
    Out of interest, do YOU always write accurate job descriptions?
    Not implying you don't, but candidates can only go by what's written in the job spec.
    However, at the same time, in some ways, I don't blame the chap for doing that, as it's called a scattergun approach, which is EXACTLY the same approach that a lot of agencies use when firing off CVs to companies, in the hope that one of them gets a result.
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of people do that, often because of pressure from the job centre. If they don't, they risk being sanctioned.

Yes, and I also don't copy and paste a person specification from a company. Writing a job advert is a skill in itself, it's not all about the company, it's helping a candidate to make the decision to work for YOU. If all you're going to do is write 'this company needs x and y and you must have it or you won't have a job'. It doesn't work like that. You need to sell a role to a candidate. I don't and never have 'scattergunned'. I have a good local knowledge and a good understanding of the industry I work within, I don't go and recruit for jobs outside of that as then I'm just like the national agencies who have a one size fits all approach to recruitment.

Have you ever stopped to consider WHY they might 'interview terrible'? If they have great experience, they've obviously been successful in interviews so far. So why the problem now?
    I'm not saying that the particular candidate you mention DOESN'T indeed 'interview terrible', but what YOU think of a candidate, an actual employer might think different, but of course, you're main concern is being able to make money out of this person, in the fastest possible time, so you have different priorities, of course.

I'm afraid most agencies are far more concerned about making as much money out of people as possible, rather than actually offering advice and support.

One example I have is a candidate at 37 had had ONE formal interview in his time working for a promotion at a job and he didn't get it because he came across as too quiet. We can sit there all day prepping people for interviews but sometimes they just come across wrong. My major problem - especially with temporary blue collar workers, is lies on their CV about employment dates. They don't remember them and make them up, or just fabricate them in order to look like there's no gaps. So when they are interviewed they clam up and look terrible. Interviewing skills is something the job centre should be doing an awful lot more of. My main concern isn't about money, it's about providing the best possible service, if I was bothered about money I'd be at one with hundreds of clients who put bodies in who leave after a week. Instead we offer a more consultative approach to both the client and candidate. Which is better, it gains more respect. It's all about knowing your client and candidate, your job is to be the middle man, if you don't you'll just mess up an awful lot and have a very high turnover
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,924Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin