IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
overwhelmed new member
Views: 163,134
# 21
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ok thanks for that yes mortgage is 50/50 - there are jt cards/loans etc though everything maxed out !
It will take me a while to get all info but will be as accurate as poss.
I never wanted to get into any nasty whose is what war - I would rather just deal with everything decently if I can.
It just doesn't seem fair that ( if we ever were able ) to pay mortgage off it would split 50/50 with me having paid 80% of it !
Bit worried about ringing up for APR as I am guessing they will all start hassling me for payment ?!
But I know I have to !
Thanks so much xx
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry I only told half story ! We are not divorced yet (can't afford legal bills !) ex hasn't lived here for 6 months - is renting own place.
Haven't been to CSA yet as I really , really just wanted everything to be agreed between us on as friendly a basis as possible , though it's becoming apparent that that won't work long term !
Eldest is 18 but in FTE so CSA won't count him anyway I think.
Thanks for all the advice everyone - I guess I am going to have to take my 45 mins of free legal advice !
Sorry for boring you all but I feel better 
Will get busy with figures & then you guys can tell me what you think !
Xx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
cpjackso
Old 19-02-2012, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Bit worried about ringing up for APR as I am guessing they will all start hassling me for payment ?!
Most account statements (not demand letters...) will have the APR on somewhere so you probably wont need to ring for most. If you have missed payments/demand letters - then others will be able to advise whether you should ring or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco114 View Post
Haven't been to CSA yet as I really , really just wanted everything to be agreed between us on as friendly a basis as possible , though it's becoming apparent that that won't work long term !
Definitely keep it amicable with the ex if you can - the calculation I showed on the other page is a starting point for discussions and will let you figure out if you are getting enough or not. Also - I've heard of people getting maintenance as long as the 'child' is still in education.

The joint debts are really your main priority to unravel - you definitely need to determine what they are and who owes what.

Last edited by cpjackso; 19-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpjackso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Roughly :
My Inc £1850
Ex money £500
CHB £135
Tax C £45.00. Total in £2530

Mortgage £697 (Inc arrears Pmt agreed )
Secured £553
Council Tax £115
Water £56
G & E Inc arrears £165
Tv & sat £60
Phones (land line/ int & 3 mobiles tied in till yr end) £100
Petrol & car travel to work etc £150
Ins hse £27
Ccj jt £86
Ccj me £30
Groceries approx £300
(if I were making min pmts to all unsecured debt that would add £700 +)

Outst mortgage £124000
Secured loan £69000
My debts approx £20000
Ex debts approx £20000
Jt approx £20000

Currently looking at MRS which would basically reduce my housing costs to £535 for rent but a) no longer own it and b) ex already said would then reduce my payment by £200 pm
Eldest FTE finishes in May so hope he may get a job !!
That's it for now I think I need a cup of tea.
Also MRS has not yet been accepted & currently paying nothing to unsecured x
The Following User Says Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
vasseur
Old 19-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Are you getting your single person's discount on your council tax?
It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey

DEBT FREE AS OF 23/11/2012
The Following User Says Thank You to vasseur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
cpjackso
Old 19-02-2012, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

OK - you need to use the webpage at makesenseofcards to format your SOA - it will also help you to find things you've forgotten to include. Statement of affairs calculator is here

Also you need to split your unsecured debts into individual balances and APRs. I would ignore your EXs debts at the moment as they dont involve you.
The Following User Says Thank You to cpjackso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
amorge
Old 19-02-2012, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, I became a single parent a year ago and have finally gotten to grips with the finances.

Are you claiming child & working tax credit? I noticed there was an income for £45 is that it? Avoid CSA at all costs, as soon as your eldest leaves college they will inform ex he can stop paying (they don't include I'm as FTE). My ex earns £45k and the CSA website says he should pay me £495 a mth so you're doing well with the £500.

You should look at a DIY divorce and then only pay solicitors for a clean break. I think you can get forms frm the CAB and it not costs about £300 in court fees.

Have you contacted any solicitors to see if they do a free 1 hr consultation? Your ex may be liable to pay you spouse maintenance, this starts when the divorce is finalised and means he may have to pay your monthly sum until the day you remarry or one of you dies....I was initially dubious about claiming as I didn't want it to be all about £ but if you're struggling you should look into it.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to amorge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
Domino9
Old 19-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Roughly :
My Inc £1850 Any way to increase?
Ex money £500
CHB £135
Tax C £45.00.
Total in £2530 Would you be in a position to take in a lodger under the "rent a room" scheme? Info here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ome/DG_4017804

Mortgage £697 (Inc arrears Pmt agreed) How much of this is arrears, and when will the arrears be up to date so that you can revert to regular payments? And what will the regular payments be then
Secured £553 Was any of this spent on things that can be sold?
Council Tax £115 Are you paying over 10 or 12 months?
Water £56
G & E Inc arrears £165 How much of this is arrears and how much is regular payment? When will the arrears be up-to-date and what will the payment revert to then? - Use energy conservatively: switch down the thermostats on the hot water tank and central heating by a few degrees (you're unlikely to notice), switch things off don't leave them on standby, use energy saving bulbs, etc etc
Tv & sat £60 Can you downgrade this to the lowest package until the end of the contract? And when you're at the end of the contract switch to freeview
Phones (land line/ int & 3 mobiles tied in till yr end) £100 see if pleading with the mobile companies will allow you to downgrade a tariff before the end of the contract (if you plead hardship, they will sometimes allow this). When out of contract look at SIM only and PAYG options - I've saved a fortune since switching to GiffGaff, so I can recommend you take a look with them when the time comes
Petrol & car travel to work etc £150 Could you manage without a car? Would public transport be sufficient
Ins hse £27
Ccj jt £86
Ccj me £30
Groceries approx £300 I think that there are savings to be had here: meal plan, batch cook, cook from scratch, drop brands, shop in lidl/aldi
(if I were making min pmts to all unsecured debt that would add £700 +)I think that you really need to get in contact with one of the debt charaties for assistance and advice. They should be able to help you get token payments sorted here

Outst mortgage £124000
Secured loan £69000
My debts approx £20000 I am assuming that these are your debts only?
Ex debts approx £20000 I am assuming that these are your husbands debts only, and not in your name at all? Are any of these secured debts?
Jt approx £20000

Currently looking at MRS which would basically reduce my housing costs to £535 for rent but a) no longer own it and b) ex already said would then reduce my payment by £200 pm even if you don't want to go down the CSA route right now at least, it might be worth speaking to them informally for advice so that if your ex does start to cut his payment to you that you will know what your entitlement is
Eldest FTE finishes in May so hope he may get a job !! Get them to start looking for work well in advance.
That's it for now I think I need a cup of tea. you deserve a biscuit too!
Also MRS has not yet been accepted & currently paying nothing to unsecured x
Hi,

I have made some comments above, I hope that at least some of them will be of use to you.

D9
A MFW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Domino9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 11:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks so much
Renting a room won't work small 3 bed & 6 yrs between kids ! My work trip takes 45 mins but would take 1hr 40 mins by PT noone in my area to car share with.
As for £ increase - I am thinking about poss p/t job if I can fit it in. Mortgage arrears are over 5 yrs (agreed in court @ suspended reposession hearing - but the court refused a suspended posession order thank god & was quite harsh on mortgage company !
Secured was to add conservatory & new kit etc and sadly at the time was valued at £190 - original debt was only £50k but the £69k is a recent redemption figure they gave me (3 wks ago) Inc int & costs etc !!!
I have just been looking at CCS website so will def speak to them ref : debt repayment.
Any arrears on g & e etc will be cleared in about 4 months so could maybe look at switching then ?
Also , ex does his visiting here : all day sat & 3 hours one evening as he supposedly can't afford to have them to stay .... So because I am nice , he still gets 2 meals a week from me - it just seems like decent thing to do , but I suspect its more about keeping an eye on what i am doing . I also think for kids sake - they need to spend time away from here with ex on their own.
What a mess !! I have tried to be friendly & decent but its not very well for me !
Xx
# 30
cpjackso
Old 19-02-2012, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The thing that jumps out to me is that your income and money from elsewhere covers your current lifestyle. The problem is paying the payments on the debts - ie. you were overliving your means in the past. (Pretty much like everyone on here).

I would pretty much follow the advice of domino9; immediately cancel the sky tv package, reduce my phone bills as much as possible, reduce your grocery bill. Check council tax is over 12 months and you get the 25% discount.

You really do need to split out your debts into individual companies, credit cards/loans etc, the balances and the APRs.

Since you say you're already in arrears with the mortgage and gas+elec etc - you are almost certainly best contacting CCCS to get them to help you sort this out.

Keep smiling - you'll get it sorted - just keep up the effort .

PS: I would ask the ex to take the kids out (take them to his/grandparents/park anything) instead of staying at yours - it might sound 'tight' but it will save you money on all the kids food - his food and will give you some space to chill - you're separated after all.

Last edited by cpjackso; 19-02-2012 at 6:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cpjackso For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Coco114
Old 19-02-2012, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You are absolutely right - I can do this with my income , I think I am just going to have to accept the fact that I will have to clear all the jt debt myself & cover 3/4 of the mortgage (but at least I am fortunate that I can just about do it, some people aren't so lucky).
Cut backs can def be made & me and the kids have already made changes.
I'm sorry - guess just feeling a little sorry for myself as it took 2 to get in this mess but me that's left to clear it up. Have suggested that visiting be done elsewhere but sadly " tough it's still my house" seems to be the response I get - maybe I will just have to feed kids & then just go out everytime , maybe then the penny will drop !
Have been on cccs site & def need to make payment offers , no matter how small , at least it's a start it's just hard trying to work out who has what debts now as it seems that people that write for payments aren't the original people we borrowed from ?! Very confusing .
Anyway, many thanks again & hopefully soon I will be able to put how much I owe to whom & cross a little off each month - a debt free date would be awesome
Xx
# 32
nimbo
Old 19-02-2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Hi All - good to know I am not the only one who is new to all this. I have noticed little changes already, like being 10 mins late for work today - I got in my car with my precious £3.00 ....... thinking its Friday and I would treat myself - then I got back out - went back and made porridge (I never normally eat breakfast) and made myself sandwiches to take with me. I am bound and determined to hang on to that £3.00 as long as I can
Am going to do my budget this weekend and also work out what I owe - not going to pretty, I am guessing at about £25,000 but will see.
One thing - what should I be realisticly allowing for a family of three and 3 cats, for groceries for a month ? i was thinking £300.00 but is that too much ?
Many thanks all xx
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=33

look at the top of the old style board.... each month they have a grocery challenge where you set a budget - and then try to stick to it.... (i haven't linked to this months as it'a nearly over and there is so much more to the OS bord)...

they have all sorts of recipes and and hints nad tips about saving cash on shopping etc....

there was at one point a thread on how to live for 50p a day per head - and the woman doing it ate better than i do!!!!!!!

good luck. xx
Third year here I come!!!!!
Stashbuster - 37/50
2014 - 17/14
The Following User Says Thank You to nimbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Edwardia
Old 19-02-2012, 9:49 PM

Don't walk out leaving ex in house, he could get locksmith round. Personally when he says tough it's my house and expects food I'd give him Pot Noodle and I definitely don't see why you should make ANY effort over debt in his name. I DO think it would be a good idea to get a proper split. You get proper rights then for you and children.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edwardia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Coco114
Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So its been 2/3 weeks and I am not much further forward. I have made a big list of things to do and have made a start so at least I feel I have done something
Have realised that am kind of on my own now financially so its best that I work on only my money for now. Have found details, APR of 2 debts so thats a start I guess.
Have decided that I may start a diary to keep me motivated ....... at least I will have to stop ignoring stuff then ! also, am not going to worry about my ex and how he is coping any more - its not my problem any more.
Need to chase up Shelter and find out whats happening with the MRS - havent heard anything yet - be nice to know if its likely to happen at some point - weirdly, I would be much better off, though with no house to call my own. Ex doesnt seem to happy about it but, also not willing to help more ?!
I stupidly commented that I had managed to save £50 last month as a RD Fund .... so he quipped that he would have to cut back what he is paying as obviously giving me too much ????!!!
I cant put my response on here but I am sure you can all imagine
Anyway, hopefully start the diary tonight - only have my phone for internet but it keeps shutting down hence can only really use work PC at lunchtimes.... anyway...
Hope you are all well and thanking you for your support...... its nice to know am not alone.
Coco xx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
camuk81
Old 06-03-2012, 6:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Coco,

Just as a quick note if you get the statements and they are shown in monthly apr which companies do try using below.

http://www.stoozing.com/mon2yr.htm

It will convert to show the apr. Separation are never great and its a shame he isn't being more supportive regarding the bills side of things. Good luck on your journey
LBM Nov 2011, Amount owed £14,258.67, £1,977.81 now owed, £12,280.86 paid off 86.13%
No 149: Debt free for Christmas 2012 Cleared Next, Wonga, Phoneix, Family loan, Vanquis, Aqua, Everyday. Still to clear Barclaycard, Capital one, & FD loan Just under 2050 days till I'm a normal person with a normal file
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camuk81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Coco114
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

3rd time lucky of trying to post this
No, these things are never easy ! Couple of questions if thats ok. What is snowballing debts ?
Also, some people refer to making extra payments over and above their monthly payment - do you do this online ?

Thanks
Coco xx
# 37
vasseur
Old 07-03-2012, 1:01 PM

Quote:
No, these things are never easy ! Couple of questions if thats ok. What is snowballing debts ?
Also, some people refer to making extra payments over and above their monthly payment - do you do this online ?
Snowballing is paying the minimum on all your debts apart from the the one with the highest APR which you chuck as much money as you can at. When that one's paid off you go to the next highest APR and do the same. It cuts months off your DFD. There's a snowballing calculator on the site somewhere which will tell you how long it will take you to pay off all your debts this way - sorry I can't seem to post the link.

I pay extra off my CC aside from my monthly DD. I do it online through my bank account - just get your credit cards set up online and you can throw any extra cash at them as and when you have it.

I do the 'Payment a Day' challenge (also on these boards) sometimes just £1 a day and it makes all the difference and you don't notice it going out of your account.
It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey

DEBT FREE AS OF 23/11/2012
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vasseur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Coco114
Old 16-03-2012, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So, a little update. I thought I hadnt really got very far with this but maybe further than I thought ! So far :
Have draughted a letter to all My and Joint Creditors offering a token payment until I can sort something out.
know exactly where I am with my Bank (which is a first! I dont have much but at least I know how much it is)
Made a budget ready for April - PayDay on 30th
Cut Weekly Grocery Budget to Approx £70 (may sound high but from someone who thought nothing of spending £150-£200 a week thats good !!)
Finally learnt that saying "no - I cant afford it" doesnt make me a bad person !
Am gathering all paperwork together (this weekend) to approach National Debt Line next week
Joined a couple of Cash Back sites
Made myself a MASSIVE to do list (not money related)
and.... read so many diaries on this site that, if nothing else I know there are a lot of people in the same position as me !
So, whilst I feel I have achieved nothing during March - its actually not the case - I have done quite a lot !
Hope all is well with everyone on here...... for now, I will keep reading and learning

Coco x
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Coco114 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Barbeduk
Old 16-03-2012, 2:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Gosh Coco I have just read your thread and just wanted to say, much respect to you! Your ex sounds like he is trying to use the money/home situation as a power thing and I would agree with the other poster who suggested that you do not leave him alone in what is now your home.

A friend who went through a difficult divorce remained totally polite with her ex but didn't tell him anything about her life or finances. It has taken her a couple of years but it is all now sorted out.

I am paying off our debt by really making as many cutbacks as I can and using the NO word. There are loads of great challenges and as mentioned above, the grocery challenge is fab, really friendly and so many great tips! I now spend about £260 for 2 adults and 2 kids. I would say that before I was spending in excess of £500. It's got to the stage now where I resent spending money (cus I lose a NSD!!).

Every time I get a bit of spare cash, even just a few pounds, I will pay it off the CC. I check the bank statement and credit card statements online every day (ok, a bit obsessive!!).

Massive amounts of good luck to you. You will be in such a great place once all this is sorted.
June GC £288.01/£400
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barbeduk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
Hovel lady
Old 16-03-2012, 5:27 PM

Well done on what you have achieved so far
Look forward to hearing how you get on xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovel lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>