Main site > Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Self-employed & Child Benefit changes 2013 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Self-employed & Child Benefit changes 2013
Closed Thread
Views: 2,462
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Default Self-employed & Child Benefit changes 2013

Can I just confirm that as a self-employed person, the judgement on whether I will be eligible to continue to receive child benefit from April 2013 will effectively be taken on my declared taxable income from this current year 2011-12 as the return for 2012-13 will obviously not be completed until Jan 2014.

Thanks in advance,
jimmyhillsfanclub is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 10-02-2012, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 343

The government have said it's going to be removed using your tax return. So, presumably on your 2012-2013 tax return you will be asked if you or anyone in your house claims child benefit, etc. Then if you have gone over the threshold they will take the money back in tax for that year.

Having said that, I don't think any definite details have been published yet - so it could also be based on this year's income.
SkyeKnight is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 10-02-2012, 9:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,619

cant you 'employ' your wife for say 10k a year (or whatever amount) to bring you under the threshold?
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
paddedjohn is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 13-02-2012, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4

SkyeKnight.....Thanks. So Its all still a bit of a shambles really isn't it....who'd have thought it?
Guess I'll just make sure I'm extremely "tax efficient" for this year & next. So, looks like a new company van & laptop is on the cards before April this year.

PaddedJohn.....That is something I will certainly be looking into for 2012-13.

jimmyhillsfanclub is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 3:18 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 04 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed