Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roses
    • By roses 16th Feb 07, 1:12 PM
    • 2,286Posts
    • 1,170Thanks
    roses
    How much is the cost per unit of gas & electric?
    • 16th Feb 07, 1:12 PM
    How much is the cost per unit of gas & electric? 16th Feb 07 at 1:12 PM
    I moved into my house last month & signed up with British Gas for gas & EDF for energy (which is who the previous occupant was with, I will change next month when prices are stable).

I have got meter readings after about a month. I have checked the British Gas & EDF website but cannot find what the unit cost is?!

Can anyone help? What's a ballpark figure for 1 unit of gas & 1 unit for electricity so I know roughly how much I can expect my bill to be?
Page 1
    • roses
    • By roses 16th Feb 07, 1:24 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    roses
    • 16th Feb 07, 1:24 PM
    • 16th Feb 07, 1:24 PM
    Never mind, found it:

http://www.edfenergy.com/edf-energy/showPage.do?name=homeenergy.switchBrand.prices.til

Electricity - 15p 1st 900kwh per year, 9p additional kwh
    Gas - 4.3p 1st 5860kwh per year, 2.678p additional kwh

Why is London the most expensive region? They seem to charge different prices depending on where you live!
    • tripled
    • By tripled 16th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    tripled
    • 16th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    • 16th Feb 07, 4:45 PM
    Because EDF are the old monopoly electricity supplier in that area, so can get away with charging a higher price.
  • Taffyfella
    • 17th Feb 07, 12:55 AM
    • 17th Feb 07, 12:55 AM
    Because EDF are the old monopoly electricity supplier in that area, so can get away with charging a higher price.
    by tripled

It's not so much getting away with it, it's more to do with the competition act. This is deemed unfair practice if prices in London were the lowest out of all the area's.

Regrards

Taff
    • roses
    • By roses 17th Feb 07, 9:35 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    roses
    • 17th Feb 07, 9:35 AM
    • 17th Feb 07, 9:35 AM
    They should be the same across the whole country!
  • testertrev
    • 17th Feb 07, 10:12 AM
    • 17th Feb 07, 10:12 AM
    has anyone got a link to compare all companies kWh tarrifs side by side?
    • roses
    • By roses 17th Feb 07, 10:21 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    roses
    • 17th Feb 07, 10:21 AM
    • 17th Feb 07, 10:21 AM
    I would be interested in finding that too! It would make choosing a supplier so much easier
  • Swirl
    • 12th Feb 10, 1:41 PM
    • 12th Feb 10, 1:41 PM
    I have the same probem. I need to compare price for gas and electric for when i move but all the comparison sights just give you a list of what you save anually. It is anoying when you just want to compare unit prices
  • KimYeovil
    • 12th Feb 10, 4:21 PM
    • 12th Feb 10, 4:21 PM
    I would be interested in finding that too! It would make choosing a supplier so much easier
    Originally posted by roses
    Sorry, but how would that make it easier? Why would only catering for arithmetic savants be sensible?
  • KimYeovil
    Originally posted by roses
    Although there is no national pricing if you oppose competition and want to share some costs you are free to put your money where your mouth is and pay for a tariff from Ebico.
  • Premier
    I have the same probem. I need to compare price for gas and electric for when i move but all the comparison sights just give you a list of what you save anually. It is anoying when you just want to compare unit prices
    Originally posted by Swirl
    Hi Swirl , and welcome to MSE!
    Congratulations on unearthing this
    3 year old thread

If you look closely at the comparison sites, it gives you the annual cost together with the unit charges as well as all other applicable additions/deductions that make up the annual cost
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Sweey as a nut
    Originally Posted by roses

They were the same until the labour party sold it all off, remember tell Sid.
    • Tarian
    • By Tarian 21st Feb 10, 11:19 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Tarian
    And what's wrong with wanting unit prices?
    Sorry, but how would that make it easier? Why would only catering for arithmetic savants be sensible?
    Originally posted by KimYeovil
    Actually prices per kWh is ALL that I want - and it's impossible (so far) to find a single site with a table of unit prices.

Nobody is asking to cater "only" for "arithmetic savants". (Although how simple arithemetic can get raised to that level.......?)

The fact is - comparison sites rarely produce the same results - so we should be able to understand the differences.
    Without transparent pricing, who know what conditions (traps?) are behind the amounts presented?

If anyone DOES know of a table of unit prices, please could they post a link.

Thanks very much.
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 21st Feb 10, 11:30 AM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Most if not all comparison sites have unit pricing details, you are just not looking in the right place.
    IIRC just click on the details of the tariff you fancy and all will be revealed.
    BTW Comparison sites are only as good as the information you put in.

For example, from energy helpline

http://www.energyhelpline.com/energy/rg_tariffdetails.aspx?rg=2&tid1=324218&tid2=324162
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • KimYeovil
    Actually prices per kWh is ALL that I want - and it's impossible (so far) to find a single site with a table of unit prices.

Nobody is asking to cater "only" for "arithmetic savants". (Although how simple arithemetic can get raised to that level.......?)

The fact is - comparison sites rarely produce the same results - so we should be able to understand the differences.
    Without transparent pricing, who know what conditions (traps?) are behind the amounts presented?

If anyone DOES know of a table of unit prices, please could they post a link.

Thanks very much.
    Originally posted by Tarian

So you are saying that you can look at a table of numbers and work out whether

(5.224 * (((670 * 4)) + 2.894 * (15000 - (670 * 4))) * 0.915) + ((15.987 * 900) + (8.943 * (2500-900)) * 0.915) - 4000

is cheaper than

(( (7.304 * 4572) + 3.002 * (15000 - 4572) ) * 0.76) + ((23.943 * 500) + (9.345 * (2500-500))) * 0.76) - 8000

and do that for another twenty tariffs and do that all in your head and not be savant?

----

You can get a list of the unit prices from the comparison sites. On the results table click the link to show all the results on one page and then for each tariff you are interested in open their tariff details in a separate window with a fancy click. You can then compare unit prices if you like.

No-one disputes that the comparison sites could improve their displays and make assumptions, discounts, penalties, prompt payments etcetera clearer.

And it is simply not true that comparison sites 'rarely' produce the same results.
    Last edited by KimYeovil; 21-02-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    • Fred Bear
    • By Fred Bear 21st Feb 10, 9:46 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Fred Bear
    Originally Posted by roses

They were the same until the labour party sold it all off, remember tell Sid.
    Originally posted by Sweey as a nut
    You are probably joking Sweey, but some people might take you seriously, so I would like to correct this by stating that Mrs Thatcher (Conservative) sold off all the utilities so now most are foreign owned. Never made any sense to me but then I am not an economics expert.
    • Tarian
    • By Tarian 22nd Feb 10, 12:57 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Tarian
    So you are saying that you can look at a table of numbers and work out whether

(5.224 * (((670 * 4)) + 2.894 * (15000 - (670 * 4))) * 0.915) + ((15.987 * 900) + (8.943 * (2500-900)) * 0.915) - 4000

is cheaper than

(( (7.304 * 4572) + 3.002 * (15000 - 4572) ) * 0.76) + ((23.943 * 500) + (9.345 * (2500-500))) * 0.76) - 8000

and do that for another twenty tariffs and do that all in your head and not be savant?
    Originally posted by KimYeovil
    You see ..... you've just demonstrated that it CAN be done.
    (Did anyone say they could "look at a table of numbers and work out ..etc"?)
    I'm sure you've already put those expressions into a spreadsheet.

Adding the missing bracket in the second string , and dividing by 100 (pence) leads to the second answer being lower than the first by 1,422.

Quite frankly my spreadsheet is a bit cruder than that. I don't trust myself with such a long string !
    But would you be kind enough to explain the 4000 and 8000 subtracted?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

3,628Users online

Martin's Twitter