Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > ESA support group - how long? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
ESA support group - how long?
Closed Thread
Views: 11,126
# 1
ab.da54
Old 08-02-2012, 6:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default ESA support group - how long?

If you're placed in the support group for ESA, based on medical evidence only, no ATOS interview, how long does that last for, please?
# 2
welshgirl20
Old 08-02-2012, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

it can vary from what the decision maker thinks how long your condition will affect you, if you ring the jobcentre they maybe able to tell you how long you have been put in the support group
The Following User Says Thank You to welshgirl20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ab.da54
Old 08-02-2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgirl20 View Post
it can vary from what the decision maker thinks how long your condition will affect you, if you ring the jobcentre they maybe able to tell you how long you have been put in the support group
Thank you.

I had thought it would have been on the letter but there is no time frame on there. Will the job centre have that information on file, then?
# 4
Mandymull
Old 08-02-2012, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

according to the phonecall i receved today on behalf of my daughter, the maximim length of times between claims is two years. My daughter is 18 and profoundly disabled I qiestioned the lady on the phone at the two year period and she said that it did seem strange given the nature of my daughters disability but that they were the rules at the moment. HTH
Mandy
I am trying to improve life for my family
I must save money for our future.
I must get back to my goal weight....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mandymull For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
welshgirl20
Old 08-02-2012, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have recently been put in the support group i received the letter stating this, mine too did not say how long for when i rang them up they said it was for 12 months, so it maybe worth giving them a call and they maybe able to see how long you are going to be in the support group from the medical report from ATOS
The Following User Says Thank You to welshgirl20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ab.da54
Old 08-02-2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgirl20 View Post
I have recently been put in the support group i received the letter stating this, mine too did not say how long for when i rang them up they said it was for 12 months, so it maybe worth giving them a call and they maybe able to see how long you are going to be in the support group from the medical report from ATOS
There was no actual medical with ATOS, the decision has been made based, I assume, on the evidence submitted, unless they contacted GP / Consultant, to come to the decision, as well.

Thank you for your response.
# 7
ab.da54
Old 08-02-2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandymull View Post
according to the phonecall i receved today on behalf of my daughter, the maximim length of times between claims is two years. My daughter is 18 and profoundly disabled I qiestioned the lady on the phone at the two year period and she said that it did seem strange given the nature of my daughters disability but that they were the rules at the moment. HTH
Thank you, Mandymull.

So it could be anywhere up to two years and then, I assume the process starts again, if there are problems in holding down a job?

Good luck to your daughter, whatever her future holds
# 8
rotoguys
Old 08-02-2012, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.da54 View Post
Thank you, Mandymull.

So it could be anywhere up to two years and then, I assume the process starts again, if there are problems in holding down a job?

Good luck to your daughter, whatever her future holds
I made a claim in Oct 09, and was put in the Support Group from January 2010 until Januray 2013 - a period of 3 years!!

Mind you I was assessed under the pre March 2011 criteria! From March 11 the descriptors changed slightly which means that although my condition hasn't changed at all or will do, I will not even qualify for ESA when I am reassessed next January never mind be put in the Support Group!!

For those that qualified after the March 11 change, there should be no problems when you come up for re-assessment, unless they change the regs and descriptors again.
The Following User Says Thank You to rotoguys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Cpt.Scarlet
Old 08-02-2012, 8:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you ask for your medical report, either an ESA85 if you had a medical, or an ESA85A if you did not, then the prognosis period that the ATOS "doctor" specifies is usually used to set your re-assessment date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cpt.Scarlet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rotoguys
Old 08-02-2012, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Scarlet View Post
If you ask for your medical report, either an ESA85 if you had a medical, or an ESA85A if you did not, then the prognosis period that the ATOS "doctor" specifies is usually used to set your re-assessment date.
Yes you are right, the ESA85 in my case said I'll be fit to return to work within 3 months and gave me 0 points!!

Then when I sent in my evidence the DWP just gave Support Group - 3 years - which isn'y recorded on any document other than in a letter I received from them.
# 11
ab.da54
Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Scarlet View Post
Thank you, Cpt.Scarlet.

Do you have to pay for the ESA85A?

Another question, if I may. The letter states ESA will start from XX date. Does that mean it will be paid on that date or will it be paid in arrears and therefore paid two weeks after the date it starts?

Thanks again for the replies.
# 12
Muttleythefrog
Old 09-02-2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab.da54 View Post
Thank you, Cpt.Scarlet.

Do you have to pay for the ESA85A?

Another question, if I may. The letter states ESA will start from XX date. Does that mean it will be paid on that date or will it be paid in arrears and therefore paid two weeks after the date it starts?

Thanks again for the replies.
No.. the document copies are free... should be able to get them via phone call to DWP number at top of ESA letters. It's always worth getting all the evidence they've used in my view.. never know if it could be helpful in future... but it may be that they relied only on ESA50 completed by you (presumably) and ESA85A (pre-board ATOS medical report)... they may have requested your GP fill in an ESA113.. maybe not.

Probably about couple weeks in arrears on second question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muttleythefrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
recoverydust
Old 10-02-2012, 6:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too got put in the Support Group with no medical
I am not asking for fear of coming to their attention
I have already passed 15 months - so I am looking at 2 years.
If you are not getting DLA then the same reasons you got into the support group may mean you have care or mobility needs sufficient to quality
The Following User Says Thank You to recoverydust For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
~Chameleon~
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If the ESA85A states: "I advise that a return to work could be considered within 18mths" - does this mean the case won't be reviewed before this time? Could it actually be possible to have 18mths peace of mind or can they just send out an ESA50 at any time?
“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Chameleon~ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Muttleythefrog
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Chameleon~ View Post
If the ESA85A states: "I advise that a return to work could be considered within 18mths" - does this mean the case won't be reviewed before this time? Could it actually be possible to have 18mths peace of mind or can they just send out an ESA50 at any time?
Said the same in my ESA85 (as opposed to ESA85A). In all likelihood the DWP will follow that determination and as those 18 months approach completion send out another ESA50 form to start a re-assessment. In my case this is exactly what happened... 17/18 months from date of decision I got the form.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muttleythefrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread