IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Another Ebay voucher scam! Help required
Closed Thread
Views: 1,842
# 1
f @ w y
Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Exclamation Another Ebay voucher scam! Help required

My case is quite the same like one other thread.... but sadly, it happened once again! I believe there should be something EBAY should do about it!

Hi everyone, I think I need some advice here.

On the 20th January I bought an argos gift vouchers (worth 100) on eBay, for 80. I've not heard anything from the buyer since, and my worst fears are confirmed when I saw they've just received a negative feedback for no receipt/ no communication.

So I tried to open an ebay dispute and it wouldn't let me! Apparently it falls outside the ebay buyer protection, certain categories aren't covered.

What can I do to try get my money back? I paid by paypal, which was linked to my credit card (MASTERCARD).

It was listed under:
Events Tickets > Gift Vouchers & Coupons > Other Gift Vouchers & Coupons

I feel foolish not checking everything through but I should just concentrate on how i can get my money back, if at all.

I am thinking of contacting POLICE after I get address and contact details of the seller.

Help much appreciated. Thanks in advance
# 2
theonlywayisup
Old 07-02-2012, 2:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Vouchers are exempt from buyer protection. I don't see there is much you can do other than try and convince your card holder to assist, but most will say that payment via Paypal is a third party payment.
# 3
GregtheHammer
Old 07-02-2012, 3:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Simple answer is not to buy vouchers off eBay. I understand it flashes up a warning when you bid on such telling you about not being covered.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregtheHammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
f @ w y
Old 07-02-2012, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all your replies!

It means I should forget about my hard earned cash! Ridicolous!! No way I am going to let someone con me like this... if it is that easy to get away, may be I should also start selling 1000 worth Tesco Gift Card for a "Buy it now price" of 500! Shouldnt I?

I aint gonna let my SELLER go away! I have asked Paypal and Ebay to provide me the contact details. In worst case scenario I will contact Police or if the address is valid take my Seller to SMALL CLAIMS court. I will try everything.... Though it is only 80, but I am ready to travel 150 miles to this SCAMMER!

There must be way out to stop this happening once again! Otherwise, I should start doing this!!
# 5
forgotmyname
Old 07-02-2012, 9:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by f @ w y View Post

There must be way out to stop this happening once again! Otherwise, I should start doing this!!

Dont buy vouchers on Ebay. Sorted.

One day they will sell to the wrong person and may or may not live to do it again.
Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
# 6
f @ w y
Old 07-02-2012, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotmyname View Post
Dont buy vouchers on Ebay. Sorted.

One day they will sell to the wrong person and may or may not live to do it again.
Surely my seller has found a wrong person on the other end!
# 7
theonlywayisup
Old 07-02-2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f @ w y View Post
Surely my seller has found a wrong person on the other end!
Possibly but probably not as many as the good people he has found.
# 8
Elvisia
Old 07-02-2012, 9:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You might be able to take them through the small claims court, but would you be able to find out their name and address in order to do so? Also there is a risk with that that you would pay to take it to court and they'd ignore any judgement against them, then if you pay for a bailiff they only call twice and if they don't answer you've lost more money. At least this is what my experiences were. I do hope you get it sorted, it's highly frustrating that a reputable website can allow scammers to operate.
# 9
Kaz2904
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 PM

When this happened to me a few years ago, I pulled the details from ebay and rang the phone number. I was incredibly lucky that the phone number was a real phone number and a real adress. The phone didn't join the adress. I rang the number and got a very nice lady who confirmed that the adress was not hers but the phone number wasn't. She asked if I minded telling her why I was ringing and I couldn't see why not as I had wasted her time asking lots of questions. She said she'd had the police at her house all afternoon too asking all sorts of questions. It seemed as though there was a large scam going on.
She also told me her husband was a postie who may be covering the round for the address I had so took my phone number. She phoned me back the following day and said that her husband hadn't done that round that day but HAD talked to a colleague. There was mail going to the address in question which was addressed to 2 different people 1 had the christian name of the fake person and the other had the surname of the fake person. So we knew that much. I had a contact at the local police station and a crime reference number from my local police station.
I then went through the list of everyone who had negged the scammer and contacted them. I gave them all of the info and the police details. Most of them got back to me and were surprised with how far it had gone so far. They all agreed to persue the matter too.
We all contacted the local police station. I gave the chap all the information which I had managed to gather and my crime reference number. I also gave them the details provided by the lady who I had phoned.
This lady phoned me a few days later to say that her husband had been told these women had been seen carted off by the police that day. The police phoned the following day to say that they had been charged. A few months later, I had a letter from the courts saying that the defendants had been found guilty and had to repay us our money. It's been coming in dribs and drabs over the last several years but I will get it back.
Justice did work in the end. So do go ahead and pursue this through legal avenues.
Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaz2904 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
f @ w y
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all your replies! Today my solicitor recommended a ebay-expert solicitor who is willing to help me to do "NO-WIN NO FEE" because of this reference. I am in contact with Paypal and Ebay to get contact details of my novice scammer. I will get to the bottom of this. My solicitor is confident that this is an oppurtunity for all of us to get more than 80! Lets see... I will keep updating my story.... As I said .... my seller has surely found a wrong person to con this time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f @ w y For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
xanthe
Old 09-02-2012, 9:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Good luck and well done for standing up to them
# 12
George Michael
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
My solicitor is confident that this is an oppurtunity for all of us to get more than 80!
That's assuming that you can actually find the correct name and address for the scammer.
It may well be a hacked ebay & paypal account and the "seller" could be almost untraceable.

Even if the seller is the account holder, their ebay details could be incorrect, and I doubt very much if paypal will simply hand over the banking details without you first having to get a court order.

I hope that you are successful, but it could turn out to be a long process which even if you trace the seller and they get to court and are found guilty, doesn't guarantee that you will receive any money.
# 13
narabanekeater
Old 09-02-2012, 2:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sadly I fell for similar. Neither paypal or ebay were intrested in helping me. Policy is very clear regarding gift vouchers and coupons. Please do keep us updated as id love to see this person in court
Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children and 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
Aiming to loose 14 pounds. 0/14 pounds lost to date
Shopping budget for Jan is 150 0/150 spent. Jan is our use up month.
# 14
f @ w y
Old 09-02-2012, 5:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for all your comments! I am a big fan of the show REAL HUSTLE and all the time I find there scams not "that easy". After doing some research, I found that people are MAD buying CHEAP vouchers.... However, this one is a very easy and simple scam to do which can give anyone 1000s.... Even the authorities (like Ebay and Paypal) are not ready to help (if it is true). One can easily con people (say 50) in a day for low amounts like 100, earn 5000 and vanish... or simply close account... is it so simple? Probably, this time, I am only going to loose 80 and this SCAMMER will get away! but still I am not going to give up.

Meanwhile, the Ebay account in discussion or my scammer is "lcsliskeard1". Be careful!!

Last edited by f @ w y; 09-02-2012 at 5:13 PM.
# 15
vicx
Old 09-02-2012, 5:25 PM

I don't understand why anyone would take the risk and buy vouchers on eBay to save 20% or sometimes less. There are many discount codes and cashback sites to receive a similar discount on 'online' purchases. I realise some may want to purchase instore but I would rather pay full price cash in the shop than risk buying any high value vouchers off eBay.

Just looking at the feedback of the scammer and I definitely wouldn't have purchased ANYTHING of high value from him/her. Only 14 score feedback with 1 negative for 100 asda vouchers:

Quote:
BROUGHT GIFT VOUCHERS 100 NEVER RECEIVED NO REFUND! NO REPLY 2 EMAIL AVOID!!!
That feedback alone is enough to make you wary of the seller.
A home without a dog is like a flower without petals.

Last edited by vicx; 09-02-2012 at 8:19 PM.
Closed Thread