Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    paul-c
    Advice please problems with cardsave
    • 6th Feb 12, 4:24 PM
    Advice please problems with cardsave 6th Feb 12 at 4:24 PM
    was wondering if someone could help me, I'm having problems with a company cardsave.

i signed up to them for a internet and virtual terminal and what the sales rep told me is nothing what is happening.

i was told when i signed up that i would be charged £19.95 per month for there service charge and a reduced rate of £10 minium transaction charges per month (instead of £20) which he confirmed the total i would be charged (cardcave + fees ect) would be £30 if no sales or under the £10 transaction fees per month.

i then get a invoice for January from streamline saying im being charged £20 minimum traction charge for my virtual terminal and £20 for internet account terminal + £20 from cardsave so its gone from £30 to £60 per month.

i dont even need the internet account but he said it was free so i might as well.

what can i do iv been total lied to by the rep and card save said they ant doing anything as its in the contract.
Page 1
  • Katy7
    • 13th Feb 12, 4:16 PM
    • 13th Feb 12, 4:16 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. I had a lengthy wrangle with Cardsave earlier this year - I won't bore you with the details but I had to threaten them with writing to the Financial Ombudsman Services to get them to back down and cancel our contract - we had arranged the account in order to have a mobile terminal for a festival we were running; they did not provide the terminal in time for the festival (even though I had repeatedly told them when we would need it for) which obviously was a disaster for our business. They didn't want to refund the charges and cancel the account even though to me it was a pretty clear breach of the contract on their part; i.e. they didn't deliver anything!

There is a lot of helpful information on the FOS site about the steps you need to take before making a complaint. As a newbie I am not allowed to post links, but just Google Financial Ombudsman Service.

In the end, i didn't need to contact them as the threat seemed to be enough - Cardsave still got £150 out of us as in the end I just could not be bothered to keep fighting them. They are a total shambles and I would not recommend their service to my worst enemy.

Good luck - I would say it is worth fighting them if you feel you have been lied to or missold.
  • miranda1796
    • 5th Mar 12, 4:31 PM
    • 5th Mar 12, 4:31 PM
    Hi there

I have a different problem with Cardsave, I signed up with them nearly 4 years ago on originally a 1 year contract. I have been going with them ever since as it has been too much of a bother to change providers. However their service was gradually getting worse and worse - ie. ancient slow card processing machine, taking 5 days to put the money in my account, expensive charges compared to other providers etc etc. So when a representative from Retail Merchant Services got in touch I decided to change providers. I cancelled my contract with Cardsave giving them 30 days notice, however I have just received an Invoice for 120.00 plus VAT to 'leave my contract' ! How can they possibly justify this ?

I would love to hear other peoples views, or how many others are effectively being 'co-erced' into staying in their contracts as in this day and age few small businesses can support charges of this nature !!

Best wishes
    Miranda
  • Katy7
    • 6th Mar 12, 12:28 PM
    • 6th Mar 12, 12:28 PM
    I don't get it - 3 newbies who have signed up within 3 weeks just to post negatively about one company. 2 are first posts, and the other (with 3 whole posts) has no other posts visible under 'see more posts by...'

It just seems a bit weird.
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    Hi Paddy, I didn't sign up to post negatively about Cardsave, I signed up to ask for advice about something else (accounting systems) and saw that someone had asked about Cardsave, and I thought I would share my experience in case it could help. Is that OK? Or have I missed the point of a forum altogether?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Mar 12, 11:22 PM
    • 37,859 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 6th Mar 12, 11:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 12, 11:22 PM
    Hi Paddy, I didn't sign up to post negatively about Cardsave, I signed up to ask for advice about something else (accounting systems) and saw that someone had asked about Cardsave, and I thought I would share my experience in case it could help. Is that OK? Or have I missed the point of a forum altogether?
    Originally posted by Katy7
    Katy, as you'll see, Paddy's post has gone, but what we sometimes find is that one person signs up and posts under several different usernames, either promoting or rubbishing a company, and he wondered if that had happened here. Please stick around ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 7th Mar 12, 10:55 PM
    • 13,084 Posts
    • 11,151 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 7th Mar 12, 10:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 12, 10:55 PM
    Hi Katy, no offence meant, but forums do often attract zealots and ranters who will sign up and post a negative review of something and contribute nothing else to the community. In fact, see the posts above and below yours, will they ever come back? Who knows? It just looks somewhat sus sometimes, and I'm sure you can see that. When I tried to see your other posts, they didn't show (temp tech problem on MSE, maybe? They seem to show now anyway), so more likely you're an innocent bystander.

Personally never dealt with cardsave, they may be angels or devils, I have no idea - just wanted to make sure they weren't getting the dirty end of the stick from a competitors smear campaign (which happens more than you'd hope)
  • Katy7
    • 8th Mar 12, 10:57 AM
    • 8th Mar 12, 10:57 AM
    Fair enough - I understand that it happens sometimes, as I've seen on other forums. It's a shame though that trolls create suspicion leading to mistrust of new posters, after all we've all got to make our first post somewhere!

I will stick around, I think it's a great forum for advice, I've read for a while without having anything to contribute myself, but hopefully will get the opportunity to help others.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 8th Mar 12, 2:12 PM
    • 13,084 Posts
    • 11,151 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 8th Mar 12, 2:12 PM
    • 8th Mar 12, 2:12 PM
    Great to have you here, sorry for the false start!
  • Rob R
    • 13th Dec 12, 5:47 PM
    • 13th Dec 12, 5:47 PM
    Hi there

I have a different problem with Cardsave, I signed up with them nearly 4 years ago on originally a 1 year contract. I have been going with them ever since as it has been too much of a bother to change providers. However their service was gradually getting worse and worse - ie. ancient slow card processing machine, taking 5 days to put the money in my account, expensive charges compared to other providers etc etc. So when a representative from Retail Merchant Services got in touch I decided to change providers. I cancelled my contract with Cardsave giving them 30 days notice, however I have just received an Invoice for 120.00 plus VAT to 'leave my contract' ! How can they possibly justify this ?

I would love to hear other peoples views, or how many others are effectively being 'co-erced' into staying in their contracts as in this day and age few small businesses can support charges of this nature !!

Best wishes
    Miranda
    Originally posted by miranda1796
    How did you get on with Retail Merchant Services Miranda?

I've had a similar experience to yours with Cardsave but this time with RMS - they are wanting to charge me £120 cancellation fee after telling me initially that I had a 30 day cooling off period in which to change my mind ( I contacted them to cancel on day 27). I'm spitting feathers over it but it seems I was cold called and then pressure sold by RMS and I fell for it...

Have decided to stick with WorldPay - they are more expensive but at least you get what you pay for and it works out cheaper in the end. I can't believe they can get away with charging £120 just to stop being a customer.
  • Hookhai
    Cardsave cancellation fee ripoff
    I have also had a bad experience with Cardsave. Having had the account for a number of years, when it came to cancelling the contract there was a cancellation fee of £120 plus vat. The official line is that cancellation can only take place on the anniversary of the contract, however speaking to Cardsave they work on the basis that irrespective of how much notice you give, or whether or not it is on the anniversary date of the contract, there is always a cancellation fee.

This i feel is unfair and underhand. Please stay away from this company
  • Snapper Knapper
    Help needed with Cardsave. Have just cancelled after being with them for 3 years. I have received an invoice today for £481.86. I was a bit surprised and shocked as at the time it was explained to me that I would be able to cancel my contract after 12 months (the sales rep made no mention of any fees for cancelling).

I understood after googling Cardsave to find out how to cancel the contract that there would be a cost of £120 plus VAT. A bit miffed about this but never mind (turns out it is now £150 plus VAT). Now they are asking for £301.86 for yearly membership fees because I did not cancel before my automatic renewal date. Has anyone else encountered this?

I find this incredibly unfair especially for small business owners who simply do not have the cash to cover these kind of fees. Admittedly the small print should always be read but when you have a sales rep who simply gives you no time to do this what choice do you really have.

Incidentally card save have given me 10 days from the date on the letter to pay the cancellation fees, which is now 3 days as they posted it by second class post.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Also apologies for moaning with my first post.
  • Nooj
    I need help with them as well (Cardsave/WorldPay/S-line).

I recently cancelled my accounts with them to go back to PayPal as Cardsave are over twice the price and much harder to deal with.

They presented me with a £120 bill, which I feel is nothing short of extortionate, so I've cencelled all of their direct debits with my bank.

Now today I see they've taken another £25 in fees for services which AFAIK have been cancelled, so it looks like they have ignored my requests to cancel their services and are just continuing to rob me. Obviously my bank has also ignored the fact that I've cancelled the direct debit to them as well :-/

Will the FSA/Ombudsman actually do anything about this if I approach them, or are they all in it together?
    • Micky d
    • By Micky d 25th Nov 14, 8:45 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Micky d
    Hi, I have been with cardsave with a virtual terminal for mail order and e-commerce and did find them to be pricy after shopping around. I contacted them and asked them how easy it would be to cancel and go elsewhere. They told me it was a 12 month rolling contract and I had to give notice 30 days prior to a new rolling year beginning. If I did not give a full 30 day notice prior to the rolling period starting then they would bill me for the remainder of the coming year. I did politely threaten them with the financial ombudsman and they then came back to me and said that if they reviewed my rates would I stay.. They then offered to undercut all of the quotes that I had been given, which I accepted as this was my ultimate goal.

I think that you will find that Worldpay have now taken over as the payment gateway for cardsave as all of my transactions now go through worldpay as from 3 months ago. If your ultimate aim is to reduce your rates, just phone them and ask them to reduce them. The contract charges are in the small print unfortunately but if you manage to get them to reduce your rates until your rolling contract is due, you can serve notice with no penalty. Hope this helps.
    • xenopuff
    • By xenopuff 26th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    xenopuff
    Problems with RMS
    Hi,
    I've also had a horrible experience with RMS and I'm looking for the statements from others to help me in my battle with them. Would you mind pm-ing me to tell me about your experience? Will probably end up taking them to court.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 27th Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    Hi,
    I've also had a horrible experience with RMS and I'm looking for the statements from others to help me in my battle with them. Would you mind pm-ing me to tell me about your experience? Will probably end up taking them to court.
    Originally posted by xenopuff
    Sorry - what is RMS - these people?

http://www.retailmerchantservices.co.uk/

This thread is about Cardsave, now taken over by Worldpay. Are they connected to RMS?
    • janhassall
    • By janhassall 28th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    janhassall
    RMS . Dreadful treatment
    I have had dreadful treatment fron RMS from the very beginning .
    I know have a"bill" for over £1000.00.
    I too,think I will end up seeing them in court .
    Please contact me,and we can compare our treatment and maybe work together on this.

If I have made any mistakes, I apologise. I am new at this but I am desperate toco tact others in the same situation.
    • Ian Textura
    • By Ian Textura 29th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian Textura
    I've been approached by RMS too, they have very good rates and will offer a contactless terminal, so I'm considering switching away from Payment Sense. Its the first time I've posted, I've just joined the forum, I'm aware its a thread about problems with another provider but I'd appreciate any cautionaries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter