Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 6Thanks
    lez5075
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz
    • 2nd Feb 12, 4:09 PM
    Beware - Simply Electronics Scam? advice plz 2nd Feb 12 at 4:09 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?
    Last edited by lez5075; 02-02-2012 at 8:17 PM.
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 2nd Feb 12, 4:42 PM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 32,913 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 2nd Feb 12, 4:42 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 4:42 PM
    Was it a visa debit card if so check this out. http://www.bitterwallet.com/how-to-get-your-money-back-with-the-visa-debit-chargeback-scheme/2859 banks will not just give in and fight tooth and nail not to do what they are meant to do.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 2nd Feb 12, 5:01 PM
    • 9,449 Posts
    • 10,617 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 2nd Feb 12, 5:01 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 5:01 PM
    If it was last SUnday (29th Jan), you won't be able to get the bank interested for quite a while yet.

Simply electronics are a USA based company so even if they sent you phone on the 1st working day after you placed the order it wouldn't have arrived yet & it will probably end up getting held at customs whilst they work out the duty that you owe.
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 2nd Feb 12, 7:39 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    • 2nd Feb 12, 7:39 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 7:39 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I placed an order through a company called Simply Electronics for a phone. I have not heard back from the company neither by phone or email. On the phone I waited for 40 mins only to be cut off at the end. I have did a quick google search on the company and it appears they are a scam company? I'm worried about getting my money back now as i wante to cancel the order but not hearing back from them.

I paid via hsbc debit card last Sunday online order. I spoke to HSBC they said they cant help as the money has gone through. What are my options now in getting the money back?
    Originally posted by lez5075
    Can you post a link to the website ?
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 2nd Feb 12, 8:11 PM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 32,913 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:11 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:11 PM
    1st item on Google provides this, http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net this was enough for me.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 2nd Feb 12, 8:16 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lez5075
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:16 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 8:16 PM
    Hi,

Yes it was via visa debit card.

The website link is simplyelectronics dot net

According to many reviews (including from the link given by peter) using google search many people are saying its a hong kong based company? Its appears the company is trying to disguise their true identity.
    Last edited by lez5075; 02-02-2012 at 8:22 PM.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 2nd Feb 12, 9:20 PM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 32,913 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 2nd Feb 12, 9:20 PM
    • 2nd Feb 12, 9:20 PM
    Good, you'll have a fight, "they don't like it up em", they will have to give in eventually. Try again, when they say no, escallate it to the manager, if/when they say no then ask for it in writing as you want to take it to the regulator, it costs them £400 every time so its cheaper for them to pay up (usually) http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
    Last edited by peter_the_piper; 02-02-2012 at 9:25 PM.
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 3rd Feb 12, 8:10 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lez5075
    • 3rd Feb 12, 8:10 AM
    • 3rd Feb 12, 8:10 AM
    Hi Peter,

Are you referring to the bank or the merchant ? I have sent the merhant a 2nd email demanding a full refund as no goods have arrived and under the distance regulations act, I am entitled to a full refund.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 3rd Feb 12, 8:54 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 3rd Feb 12, 8:54 AM
    • 3rd Feb 12, 8:54 AM
    I doubt whether the Distance Selling Regulations are applicable to overseas transactions such as this.

The terms and conditions are very clear that it is a Hong Kong Company:
    In these Terms of Use, we refer to SimplyElectronics Ltd. as "SE" and the website as the "Site". Our address is:

SimplyElectronics Limited
    1501-1508, Millennium City 5,
    418 Kwun Tong Road,
    Kwun Tong, Kowloon,
    HongKong
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 3rd Feb 12, 9:49 AM
    • 26,019 Posts
    • 32,913 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Keep on at the bank, though I do not know for sure how it works with a foreign registered supplier. Ask on the helpline on the link above and see.
    • trukdiver
    • By trukdiver 3rd Feb 12, 10:28 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    trukdiver
    If it was last SUnday (29th Jan), you won't be able to get the bank interested for quite a while yet.

Simply electronics are a USA based company so even if they sent you phone on the 1st working day after you placed the order it wouldn't have arrived yet & it will probably end up getting held at customs whilst they work out the duty that you owe.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I've bought a camera and a lens from them in the past and they arrived in a few days on both occasions. Even though it's an overseas company, I think the stock is held in the UK. It is "grey market" stuff though.

I just checked my order history with them. It looks like the camera I bought was dispatched 5 days after the order date. I remember contacting them to change the order slightly. On the second occasion, the lens was sent on the day of the order. I received it next day.

Where did you get the info that it was a scam? There's still a link to Simplyelectronics on Topcashback.
    Last edited by trukdiver; 03-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
  • kdmbudd
    I too placed an order on Jan 29th using a HSBC visa debit card. I bought an Asos tablet at nearly £500 and having checked the order it has not yet been dispatched with a 2 - 4 dispatch promise and a 3 - 8 day delivery promise.

I looked them up online today (can't believe I didn't check before I placed the order as i do normally) to discover the many many negative reviews for this company. I phone this morning and was actually impressed to begin with as after the automated message of a 37 minute wait they offered a service where if you call back after this length of time you are automatically put at the front of the queue. Unexpectedly this did actually work!

I then spoke to an american gentleman on what unfortunately was a very bad line so I couldn't always tell what he was saying, however he did manage to fob me off with 'you will receive an email on the day of dispatch, and the item will arrive the next day'. He seemed to think that it was likely to happen today, and as it was not yet 8 days I felt that I couldn't push it further at this point. Not holding my breath though.

Will give them a couple more days and if I don't receive the tablet I will cancel and start to chase a refund.

If anyone else has dealt with this company and actually received goods please can they let me know!
    • trukdiver
    • By trukdiver 10th Feb 12, 9:28 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    trukdiver
    I too placed an order on Jan 29th using a HSBC visa debit card. I bought an Asos tablet at nearly £500 and having checked the order it has not yet been dispatched with a 2 - 4 dispatch promise and a 3 - 8 day delivery promise.

I looked them up online today (can't believe I didn't check before I placed the order as i do normally) to discover the many many negative reviews for this company. I phone this morning and was actually impressed to begin with as after the automated message of a 37 minute wait they offered a service where if you call back after this length of time you are automatically put at the front of the queue. Unexpectedly this did actually work!

I then spoke to an american gentleman on what unfortunately was a very bad line so I couldn't always tell what he was saying, however he did manage to fob me off with 'you will receive an email on the day of dispatch, and the item will arrive the next day'. He seemed to think that it was likely to happen today, and as it was not yet 8 days I felt that I couldn't push it further at this point. Not holding my breath though.

Will give them a couple more days and if I don't receive the tablet I will cancel and start to chase a refund.

If anyone else has dealt with this company and actually received goods please can they let me know!
    Originally posted by kdmbudd
    I received two items from them (see post above). One took over a week and the other arrived the next day. From the prices and warranty etc, it was obvious they were going to be grey imports. I wasn't expectiing quick delivery either - I expected about the same delay as with ebuyer's free delivery option. They're nowhere near the best but I have dealt with worse companies. I paid with a credit card to make sure I was covered...
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 24th Feb 12, 8:06 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lez5075
    Just to update I have still to date not received my refund back from them since requesting it on 3rd Feb 2012. I keep getting the same reply from their customer services that the refund is being dealt by a seperate support company and they cant advise when it will take place. It appears theere is the same person answering the calls (after a long wait) from the custoemr services team and basically repeating the same words each time. I dont know what else to do with this and if I am gonig to get my money back. Clearly something is wrong here with the company.
    • lez5075
    • By lez5075 7th Mar 12, 6:12 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lez5075
    7th March - and stilll no refund. I am not sure what do to here. Clearly something wrong with the company.
  • kirstytulloch
    @lez5075. Did you ever get a refund? I have been waiting a month for a refund and they keep giving myself (and now my dad who has got involved) different reasons why I have not received it- getting very concerned I won't get my money back!. I paid via paypal, does anybody know if paypal can help me with this kind of problem? was going to get trading standards involved but it looks like that won't be of any use. HELP!!
  • johanka
    Simply Electronics Warning!!!
    Hope by now you've got your refund kirstytulloch? I'm also currently waiting for a refund from this terrible company. Ordered a camera on their website on 12/07/12. Phoned them later same night to ask if my order could be upgraded to express delivery as we had a family occasion the following week. As they said they did not do express delivery on cameras I cancelled the order, also cancelled by e mail at their request and had acknowledgement of cancellation from them within minutes. As I had learnt from the phone call that I would have to wait 7 days on a refund I became suspicious, as up until now any online company I have dealt with has not taken payment for goods until they are dispatched.
    I kept an eye on the status of my order over the next couple of days and was horrified to see that it changed from 'new' to 'packing'. I emailed them immediately reminding them that the order had been cancelled and I did not want the camera sent. I got no response until 16/07/12, I had an E mail from SE saying they were delighted to inform me that the camera was on its way!! Once again I emailed protesting but had a reply saying, the camera had been dispatched before they received my cancellation e mail! This I find hard to believe since the order was cancelled just hours after placing it, 4 days before they emailed me to say it was on its way? Parcel arrived on 17/07/12. Unfortunately as I was not at home when DHL delivered, they took it into our business yard beside our home where it was signed for by a family member who was unaware of the situation. I had the camera checked by the manufacturer, who confirmed it was a 'grey market import', has no CE marking and no manufacturers warranty. I have photographic and video evidence and back ups of all correspondence. The camera has been returned and at present I am one of the many who seem to be waiting on a refund.
    I have already contacted KwikChex to assist me in getting a refund
    Next step is contacting watchdog, HK police, HK consumer council, UK Authorities etc, full list of useful contacts to be found on hotdeals.com and amazon.co.uk:Customer Discussions:Reviews of Simply Electronics.
    I am almost £600 down for over a month now and I think it's disgusting that after the number of years this company has been ripping off the innocent consumer, still the only people that seem to be taking any action in trying to stop them operating are the victims themselves!!
  • johnnyboyrebel
    I ordered a tablet from them last xmas (last minute rush job to get a present!) Like a tit, I used a debit card as needed to order there and then and that was all I had on me.

It was 'processing' for around 1 week after me chasing it up every day to see when it would be dispatched, as it was then around 20th December I had to cancel ASAP as needed to buy from a store. Numerous emails went unanswered, I called them a couple of times. Got through but didn't get anywhere, someone was always getting back to me but never did.

Upshot was, one final threat of getting trading standards onto them resulted in me getting a phone call from someone apologosing profusely, according to them they had been overrun with orders and just couldn't cope with it. Anyway, as my payment was taken as soon I ordered they issued a full refund, got it back within a couple of days.

No banks, no police but got my cash back so I would suggest persisting and don't worry too much as I surely cannot be the only one.
  • johnnyboyrebel
    Incidentally, watch out when buying electronics from some sites. I don't know if this site is the same but sites such as pixmania do offer excellent prices but the likes of their TV's (not all of them I'm sure) are normally of EU origin so your warranty may not be valid for example.
  • mist3r
    it is always rings alarm bells to see a product on many sites for around the same price then stumble accross one with a much lower price... thank god for forums like these where we can share experiences and genuine offers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,846Posts Today

9,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin