Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    chris2012uk
    Self Assessment 10-11: JSA, self-employed, then JSA in 1 year - how do I fill out SA?
    • 1st Feb 12, 11:53 PM
    Self Assessment 10-11: JSA, self-employed, then JSA in 1 year - how do I fill out SA? 1st Feb 12 at 11:53 PM
    Hi there,

Due to family difficulties I've been unable to do my Self Assessment until now, and have read about the 2 day grace period by HMRC.

I'm struggling to understand how to do my tax return if I was claiming Job Seekers Allowance for 3 months, then self-employed for 6 months, then JSA again for 3 months - how do I fill out the Self Assessment?

I have read the SA103 full notes, and it says on Page 3:

"If you have stopped working for yourself, and the date in box 7 is not the same as the date in box 9, you should complete another set of Self-employment (full) pages for the final period of trading."
    So should I be filling out 3 separate Self-Employment (full) page returns, i.e. the whole self assessment 3 times for the 3 different periods?

However, on Page 16 of the SA103 full notes, it says:

"If you have more than one set of accounts for your basis period, complete separate Self-employment pages for each set of accounts, but only fill in boxes 65 to 75 once on the Self-employment pages for the most recent set of accounts."
    So I'm thinking there's some way of doing 3 returns for the 3 periods, but on each one entering the total income for the whole tax year, e.g. in Box 72 (?)?

If someone could please clarify this it'd be much appreciated,

Many thanks and best regards,

Chris
    Last edited by chris2012uk; 01-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,088Posts Today

6,488Users online

Martin's Twitter