Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,868Posts
    • 56,763Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 263
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 7th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,759 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    hi everyone,

Fuddle the kitchen is gorgeous, you must be so pleased with it and well chosen.

Well, it isn't raining today hooray, We have had torrential rain for the previous 2 days and my goodness it was chilly. Hard to imagine we were sweltering this time last week, but the garden and tubs did need it.

I am off to have a small cyst removed from my shoulder tomorrow, just at the GPs surgery. I have had it for years, but I thought it was time it was removed. It is quite high up on my shoulder and it can be seen when I am not wearing a jacket. After that we are going to vote. and oh my goodness I will be pleased when it is all over, but no doubt there will have to be an inquest on the whys and wherefors on the result.

Hoglet it is good to hear from you and so pleased you are enjoying your new job. It sounds as though it is giving you a great deal of satisfaction. We had to put Flora in the back porch because she would spend all night running up and downstairs. She is very comfy in there, she has 2 fleece blankets to sleep on, she has her litter tray and a bowl of water, and cuddles up to a cushion in the shape of an owl. She is always pleased to see me when I open the back door, and she has a curtain on the porch door to keep the room warm. SPOILT or what You will have to have a stern word with your cats

SM glad to hear you are home safe and sound, although the change in climate must be a shock, I think you have had more rain than us.

Lyn, by the sounds of it you could have a litte stall at the side of the road to sell your produce. It all sounds gorgeous, and will be lovely to eat in the middle of winter. I didn't make any jam last year because I didn't have any free fruit. Our friend who has the allotment has not been well for some time so hasn't been able to do much.

Polly we are missing you, are you OK?

AOT, are you well, anything exciting happening now or in the near future?

Lainey, I read your post on the Daily thread, I hope you will feel better tomorrow. I hope Tilly is healing well.

Floss we have had quite a bit of wind with the rain, but of course we are not on the coast so fairly sheltered. I imagine being on the coast could be quite bracing at the moment!!

Hello to anyone I haven't mentioned, hope you are all OK

In these uncertain times stay safe and much love

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hope all goes well tomorrow Candlelight, we've gone over to a postal vote and got ours away last week as we've wanted to be free to get to Ruthie if she needs us so it makes sense. I've just podded out almost 1lb of peas from the polytunnel, had a mega picking and a couple of lovely courgettes too. Peas will go into the freezer and courgettes will be for supper along with a nice pointed cabbage from the poly picked this morning. It's lovely being able to make jams and chutneys from the home grown stuff, a sense of safely gathered in is such a comfort. We have sold surpluses in the past but the kids started stealing the money, then they stole the tin we put out for the money to go in and when we stopped putting that out and asked for money through the letter box they took to taking the produce and grinding it into the pavement with their feet so we stopped altogether. We get nice extras from the plot and it helps us live well and healthily, don't need to make a profit do we?

We went to the arboretum at Romsey for a walk this morning (we have membership) and found some gorgeous new sculptures dotted around the various gardens, had a lovely walk in the sun and tried for a coffee but the restaurant was heaving, they had a couple of coach parties in, so we came home and had coffee here. Nice Cookie walk this afternoon and washing nearly dry in the garden, contentment is nice !!! xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 7th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 9,290 Posts
    • 54,518 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Lovely kitchen, Fuddle, cabinets almost identical to the ones we had installed recently, the builder installing it got them direct from a local factory. It is amazing how a new kitchen lifts the atmosphere in a home.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

September NSDs 12 of 15
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 2,935 Posts
    • 36,818 Thanks
    monnagran
    Fuddle, you have perfected the art of getting a quart into a pint pot. That is one cleverly designed kitchen. You should be SO proud. Just one thing missing. Where do you keep the little step ladder that you need to get into the top of the cupboards? I always have to have one of those.

Well done on the impromptu holiday, aren't they always the best? I can just imagine the girls loving it, and what memories they will have.

'A' level Law? You never cease to astonish me. Perhaps you will love it so much that you will go on to get a Law degree then the world really will be your lobster.

Lyn, reading about your garden and all the produce takes me back. I did love all those years when I kept us self-sufficient with fruit and veg. Now I support the local farmers and the local Co-op. So glad to hear that the spotty ones are on the mend.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow Candlelight, one of those things where the anticipation is worse that the event, I think.

I am keeping the home fires burning here while my family is disporting itself in a Greek Island. Apparently Pickle requested a comic from her grandfather who pointed out that it was all written in Greek and she wouldn't understand it. She said that it didn't matter because she couldn't read anyway.
    I believe that she got the comic. The plastic rubbish on the front of it must have been particularly good. And pink.

See you all tomorrow. x
    Last edited by monnagran; 07-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 7th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 56,763 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Fuddle - the kitchen is beautiful. Very tasteful and calming. I like it.

Re the boat, it's good to dream. My Florida home was a dream for a long time but as Walt Disney himself said "if you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember this thing was started with a dream and a mouse"
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Jun 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 17,850 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Quick visit to say hope all goes well dear Candlelight, will be thinking of you x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 8th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,759 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good morning all,

Well I didn't have the cyst removed. When the GP saw it he said it was quite deep, and did it bother me. I said no (the nurse had suggested I had it removed). I said I would prefer to leave it then, I didn't want him "digging deep". We agreed that if it later bothered me I would go back, so that is a relief.

Still very cool here and overcast, have a good day

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh well done Candlelight, sensible GP 1 - daft nurse 0!!!

We went into the city this morning (bearing in mind that He Who Knows is allergic to shopping) and made a visit to the 'Swedish Shop' where we have chosen a new sofa and armchair, found a waterproof cot mattress cover, had lunch, we then walked up to the hospital where he will have his hernia 'op' and back and got drowned (yukkk!) with an out of the blue heavy shower. We walked back and I went to the lovely Polish Shop and got some real bread, bus home and then at his suggestion to Dunelm Mill for a double bed mattress protector, B&Q for paint charts and a big box to store the boys toys in, then to Carpet Right where we've bought a new stair and landing carpet and also a new bedroom carpet for our room (a goodly sized remnant) and I even had time to pop into Home Bargains.....He's excelled himself although I've probably used up my quota of shopping time requiring his presence for the next 10 years.....worth it though!!!

I wonder what this day will bring to both UK politics with the general election and USA politics with the enquiry over James Comey beginning, really interesting times we live in eh?

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 8th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,759 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    My goodness Lyn you did well and so did HWK.

It sounds as though you are going to be busy inside and out in the near future. I suppose if you are contemplating selling you feel the need to freshen things up. I know lots of people don't actually like Ikea, but I love it. I love to walk round the room settings where you can pick up ideas which don't cost a fortune. We are very lucky to have one in our city centre, before that we used to travel to Wednesbury on the dreaded M6, but probably only twice a year.

It has rained on and off for most of the afternoon, I do hope it improves soon.

Candlelightx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3,819 Posts
    • 30,333 Thanks
    Floss
    Lyn could I be nosy and ask which sofa & chair you chose? We're planning to undertake that challenge next year, as our suite is an inherited Parker Knoll that my mum chose back in 2003 and the sofa seat is too deep to sit properly without getting backache.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    EKTORP in red, Nell has a two seater in grey and a large armchair also in grey and they are very comfortable indeed. We already have two POANG chairs and footstools with the red leather seat pads so it will go nicely with them. Ruthie currently has one of the poangs in the nursery for middle of the night feeds as it's most comfortable to sit with Orley with her feet up and feed him. The one we went in to look at is a new model called STOCKSUND which has a lovely deep blue cover available but He Who Knows is over 6ft 2 ins and it wasn't quite tall enough in the back for him to be comfy whereas the EKTORP was. The 3 seater complete with cover comes in at £350 and the wider armchair at £230 so good value I think.

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 13,592 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Candlelight Have sent you a message .

Haven't been on the threads since May so hope to catch up with all the posts I missed .
    Hope everyone here is well ,
    Fingers crossed I'll be back posting in a few days .
    Take care all .
    Much love polly
    xxx
    • alfsmum
    • By alfsmum 9th Jun 17, 6:42 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    alfsmum
    Popping up to say that the Ektorp is really comfortable and I agree good value. Added bonus that the covers are washable and you can buy different covers if you want to refresh your decor without replacing the furniture. 2 and 3 seater going strong after many years and new 3 seater and armchair bought for the conservatory this year. The cat thinks they are super comfy and DD's Labrador puppy has also been caught taking a nap on one (we also got a few of their cheapest throws to cover the covers!)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 3,819 Posts
    • 30,333 Thanks
    Floss
    Thanks for the info - that's the one I had in mind, mainly for the comfiness as well as washable covers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    My word, we've been busy bunnies today. He Who Knows has been painting our bedroom both walls and woodwork and he's 3/4 of the way finished but has run out of paint. We've taken up the old carpet and underlay and that has mostly gone to the tip, just a few odd corners (we cut it into bite sized chunks) left on the lawn which were under furniture and now we've moved the furniture (We got one of those trolleys on wheels that go under things, winner!) got carpet out and put furniture back, we've unpacked wardrobes and moved them and re packed wardrobes and even re made the bed and the curtains are back up. He's more tired than me he's done more of the physical I'm just the gofer but I've been up and down stairs more times today than you can shake a stick at! Going to B&Q in a mo for some more paint.....It's looking GOOD!!! xxx.

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 12th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,759 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Lyn, exciting times ahead for you both.

Doesn't it feel good to freshen your home, or even just move the furniture around for a change. We haven't decorated recently but I have been decluttering and moving things around. You almost look on your home with new eyes and it's amazing what a few new cushions can do.

Well it has been overcast here again, but I understand we have the promise of sun and warmth on Wednesday, I hope that is correct.

Haven't been out today, but gave the upstairs bathroom a spring clean, hoovered (or Sharked) the bedrooms. I cleaned down the stairs, I always do that with a rubber glove (sounds odd) but it works. I noticed yesterday the sitting room doors, which have 6 glass panels looked a bit cloudy when the sun was shining on them, so gave them a good clean as well. 2 loads of washing, which took forever to dry, and I think that was it except of course preparing the meals.

Tomorrow we have to go shopping for a few bits, Wednesday I have a nail appointment and thursday I want to pop to the bank to pay some change in.

Polly it was good to hear from you, love to you and your DD.

Lyn with all your running around today you must have lost a bit more weight, you are doing so well you should be really proud of yourself and the very fact that you are sticking to your sensible eating(we don't call it diet any more ) is down to your will power - well done YOU.

Love to you all

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm down into the 66 kilos (just) which is very satisfying. The 'food choices' are easy I don't think it's will power any more our tastes have changed with the food we've given up and we're really enjoying this new tweak to the daily diet. It helps enormously to have the plots and do the growing that we do as that means it's affordable and we seem to have stopped using the frozen things we used to have in favour of fresh so I'm thinking of giving up the big old chest freezer and having a small table and couple of chairs in the kitchen instead. We still have the odd chocolate as life MUST still contain some nice things and He Who Knows still has his pint of beer or cider some evenings but with both these treats it's not every day any longer just once in a while. We both feel enormously better health and being active wise, it's given us a new lease on life and it's fab!!! xxx.

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 17,850 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Gosh Lyn, that is a very impressive weight loss, good for you
    Must follow your good example and lose some, have a cracking incentive as there is the possibility of a new equine pal in my life He is a part shire like my darling Bill but is a smaller horse and younger so it wouldn't be appropriate or kind to his back etc to overload him. The max he can carry with tack is 11 stone so I need to aim for 10.7 stone.
    The lady who is currently schooling reckons it will be about three months before he is ready so that's my goal, any tips dear Lyn would be much appreciated! X
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 10,895 Posts
    • 151,115 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh LAINEY that's the best news you could possibly have given us on this thread, what an incentive to drop those few pounds that need to go. I'm so very happy for you!

We dropped out bread, cakes, biscuits (except oatcakes once in a blue moon)baked goods with pastry, breaded fish/chicken etc., all things containing sugar and use stevia instead to sweeten fruit for puddings. We gave up cheese except the occasional tub of low/lowest fat cream cheese and the laughing cow cheese triangles with cheddar which come in at 25 calories a triangle. So what we do eat...I don't do breakfast at all I just have 2 cups of tea, He Who Knows has porridge with a handful of sultanas made with dried skimmed milk, lunches are usually home made soup which I start off by gently frying the veg in some 1 cal oil spray and then add spices/herbs/flavourings and add chicken/veg stock then blitz them with the stick blender when they're cooked. I have a lovely bowl with 3 large ladlefuls of soup every day and a piece of cooked chicken/a couple of hard boiled eggs, we usually also have a Muller light 99 cal fat free yoghurt. He Who Knows will have a salad and cold meat for his lunch sometimes now he's lost his weight he will also have toast or a sandwich made with very low calorie/fat spread. Suppers are new/jacket potatoes. steamed veg (as much as you like) and protein of some kind grilled, oven baked or sometimes an omelette is fried in oil spray. We have fresh fruit and 0%fat Greek yoghurt for pud. Tea and Black Coffee are limitless, we have the occasional chocolate because life isn't always about austerity and He Who Knows has an alcoholic drink sometimes. If I get very hungry in the mid afternoon I have a handful of dried fruit and nuts or sometimes a banana.....it's simple and it works, Good luck pet if you give it a go. Do it one day at a time, first waking thought is today I won't eat bad things.....let me know how you get on xxx.

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 13th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,759 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Oh Lainey that is good news, you need another friend to love.

I go with Lyn, definitely low carbs. I think you did Michael Moseley's diet for diabetics when many of us bought the book. I lost a stone in 5 weeks with that eating plan. I know carbs are my downfall, I LOVE bread, but not now and I don't eat butter in any form.

This morning I had a boiled egg with 2 dry crispbreads.

Lunch was a bowl of salad with some grated cheese, and 3 strawberries cut into pieces and a spoonful of greek yoghurt for dessert.

This evening will be ham salad and a fresh peach for afters.

Mid afternoon I have a piece of fruit because I get the munchies about 3 o'clock together with a small coffee. I try to only drink 2 cups of coffee a day, otherwise it is still water and the occasional cup of tea.

When it isn't salad it is lots of vegetables, but no potatoes (I love new potatoes) and lean meat. It is very often chicken, but we had NZ lamb leg chops with mint sauce on Sunday and they were delicious.

I try to eat lots of fruit, but remember grapes are very sweet and you should only eat about 10 a day (my DD the nurse told me this) and if I am desperate a handful of dried fruit and nuts.

Good luck and I know you can do it because you have a goal, a beautiful horse to help you with the heartbreak of losing dearest Bill.

Much love

Candlelightx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,667Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter