Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,836Posts
    • 56,379Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 260
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th May 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 10,378 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Floss I was typing while you were posting . Sounds like a good trip to the Lakes with the bonus of good weather yesterday . I love the area but it's always a bit potluck on Sun or Downpour isn't it?

SM Have a lovely trip over the pond .
    Nothing remotely odd about including those home comforts . Just make sure you don't pack the pheasant by mistake
    I'm a yorkshire tea girl myself and have one at my side as I type .

Fridays early appt was her usual 2 weekly with the GP . We had a good long catchup on the latest developments and new different infection that has appeared . That scenario is an ongoing situation due to the lowered immunity and happens in many different forms .
    As we were talking he was printing off all the prescriptions for the next 4 weeks adding a new antibiotic .
    He booked in the next appt for 2 weeks time and said he was off on holiday after that . We jokingly said he'd earned it and I left saying he needed to get the yoga mat out and chill for a few minutes .
    We went to the nearby town to put the prescriptions in to the pharmacy and they were having problems with the system . It usually takes 30-45 mins or so to sort and check all her meds so we went to M&S for lunch .
    Went back collected the meds and went home .
    TV is never on here until evening so we were oblivious to the cyber attack .
    I have spent the days since pretty well glued to the twitter feeds from the 2 trusts my dds 4 hospitals are in .
    Both trusts are still having problems , the trust furthest away seems to be managing fairly well but the nearer one has not been able to run much at all . So far all outpatient appts are cancelled .
    DDs appt for the procedure she has needed since late summer last year is on Wednesday and at the further away hospital of the nearer trust if that makes sense . Fingers are crossed firmly it will go ahead as all efforts have been focused on keeping her anxiety levels down .I will probably find out tomorrow meanwhile I'll keep the lavender candle in my mind .
    Sleep well all
    polly xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th May 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 26,656 Thanks
    Floss
    Pollyanna hope the appointment goes ahead ok. We arrived to blowy sunshine on Saturday for the wedding, it was a bit breezy but glorious weather yesterday and woke up to tipping rain today!
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 17th May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 3,581 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Hi everyone
    Sorry to have been MIA for so long. I haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread yet. I started my new job last week and it's pretty full on! I'm enjoying it and I certainly don't have time to get bored, there has just been heaps of stuff to learn - not least the names of all my new colleagues!

We had a lovely time in Melbourne and got some bargains we'd planned to buy. It was lovely to see DH's family too. We were pleased to see the cats still at home once we got back, and I'm sure they were pleased to see us again too. One good thing is it slightly broke Izzy's habit of waking me up 3 times a night - it's just 2 times now!

I'll try to catch up properly over the next few days - although I do know I missed Candlelight's birthday, so happy belated birthday to you Candlelight! I hope you had a lovely day.

much love
    Hoglet
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 11,450 Posts
    • 144,153 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi everyone, just back from our travels and my spotty Zebra child who despite being fairly well covered seemed in very good spirits and wasn't feeling ill with it all. We had such fun playing with him and little Oreo has grown amazingly and looks like a little boy now instead of a new born. He's a very laid back chappie except when he's hungry and chats away with the most enchanting range of noises and smiles, when he's hungry though he's LOUD!!!

We've had a couple of days looking at areas for the possible house move and found a couple between the two girls that we both like very well and luckily Nell has a friend whose parents live in one of them so we're getting all the information about it from her and Ruthie has a friend who lives in the other so we'll get all the details of that one from her, exciting times.

Yesterday was very wet and He Who Knows spent most of it driving us to various places west to see what we thought of them and we've arrived here in time for lunch (late lunch) and a bit of a 'stop travelling' time before we do anything else. It's nice to be home again !!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st May 17, 5:10 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 46,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    How good to have some insider information when thinking of moving, Lyn! Glad you enjoyed your visit and that the Zebra child wasn't feeling too unwell.

Hoglet Glad you like the new job
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 22nd May 17, 9:51 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 56,379 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Just typed a lengthy post and then lost it so this will be much condensed.

Lainey - I hope you are enjoying the Cotswolds.

Floss - I love the Lakes and hope to see them without the benefit of rain tipping down one day. I've never been very lucky on previous trips.

Pollyanna - fingers crossed the hospital appointments are sorted now. I believe some of the local NHS trusts were still struggling at the end of last week.

MrsLW -exciting news about a possible move.

Hoglet- glad you are settling in to the new job. It's nice to have a new challenge to take on.

Fuddle, Monnagran, AOL, Candlelight, Ivyleaf and any of our other friends - hope you are well.

I'm off for a stroll before dinner. It's 35 degrees here and I was forced to retreat inside for part of the afternoon but I'm feeling the need to get back out. Thunderstorms forecast later so better get a move on!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 23rd May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 46,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thank you scottishminnie
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 23rd May 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    LaineyT
    I loved the Cotswolds thank you SM the weather was ahem changeable but we didn't let that stop us going out and about. We had days out in Stratford, Blenheim etc but have to say my favourite place was Blockley, smashing little village with two good pubs and a farmshop cafe that did a mean cream scone it's also the location for the church etc in Father Brown so interesting to see. Our holiday cottage was very comfortable and good to go back to after a full day out, only slight problem was the bed was a tad hard for my preference so bit of an achey back but small price to pay.

Just back from Cambridge having had my hair cut, this evening we are off to the theatre to see 'Fracked' which was Capt S's birthday present, very much looking forward to it.

So please to read that you are enjoying your new job Hoglet it makes such a difference if you love what you do.

Polly, hope appointments are now sorted and things are a bit calmer, still lighting a candle for you my friend.

Exciting news on a possible move Lyn, are you planning to still produce so much of your own food, am always envious of your polytunnel

Hope you are well Candlelight, I do miss you posting x

Hope everyone is keeping well and looking forward to the long weekend, it's going to be warm and sunny apparently

Much love x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 11,450 Posts
    • 144,153 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We'll look for a garden, the house isn't quite so important and we'll get an allotment too if there's one to be had and yes, we'll pick up a greenhouse and polytunnel too I can't see us stopping growing things even if we have to go down to half an allotment, we'd put the other half down to fruit trees if they'd allow it and just mow underneath, much less work that working a full plot. I've just been up and done the watering in the tunnel, we've courgettes set and growing on, I've just cut another little gem lettuce, I had a big bunch of parsley as part of lunch and the peas, cabbages and beetroot are growing on and fattening even the basil is making the effort because we've got some warmth now. In the garden the redcurrants are covered with hard little green fruits, the loganberry is covered with developing fruit, the apple tree is covered with set apples and the blackberries are covered with big white flowers. I'm picking strawberries and have been for over a week, I sent a nice bag of really red ones home for my lovely sister in law Trish to enjoy and the sweet William forest is gorgeous so she got a lovely big bunch of them too. He Who Knows and my brother set to this afternoon and finished splitting the oak logs we were given in the week and my brother even took the sawdust generated to use in his smoker, I love it when you can use all of a thing. He took some spare tomato plants and herbs too, it's good to share!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 23rd May 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wow Lyn, that is an impressive variety of produce, didn't think that you would be moving and then putting your feet up
    Love the smell of sweet peas and have a little patch growing up the wall in the back garden, I did pick up a bunch of stocks the other day in the greengrocers as they always remind me of my Grandad and his garden, they are a delicate lilac colour and currently filling our living room with scent.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 24th May 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 85,504 Thanks
    fuddle
    Hello everyone.

I'm just dropping by to let you know I'm alright. I've had my laptop away getting fixed and couldn't bare using the tablet so went quiet. I've got my laptop back now but quite like pottering in the nicer weather.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 24th May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 11,450 Posts
    • 144,153 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hiya Petal, I thought you were busy! How is the kitchen coming along? I've just been up the garden and picked half a colander full of strawberries!!! He Who Knows is off fishing and I've got a day to myself so I'm looking up some vegetable/lentil/bean stew recipes to write in a separate book for this coming winter to use produce from the plots and to feed us if prices go up too much for us to afford much meat. Hope you're healthy in this nicer weather and that your cold didn't morph into anything worse xxx.

• elona
    • By elona 24th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 56,342 Thanks
    elona
    fuddle

It is great to see you. Enjoy the fine weather and hope you are feeling better.

I have another hour before I go to volunteer at the library so going to make a quick lunch as I don't get back till nearly seven.

Have slung out my tatty slippers and sandals and ordered new in the H***er sales. Excited that the upstairs bedroom now has built in storage and boxed in lower slanted walls . New curtains have arrived and storage boxes are ordered so I can get rid of more packing boxes. New chest of drawers arrives tomorrow morning which should finish off the room.

Watered the roses which still look like sticks and the front garden is taking shape.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 24th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 24,646 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good afternoon all,

A beautiful day here, and we are hoping to spend much of tomorrow in the garden. Everything has grown a pace with all the recent rain. Had a nail appointment this morning. and have just been lazy this afternoon.

I am pleased you enjoyed your break Lainey, the Cotswolds are beautiful, even more so when the weather is good.

Fuddle good to see you, as Lyn says how is the kitchen coming along?

SM enjoy your break, I know you deserve it, you will come back refreshed and ready to face what creatures have eaten their way through your garden again.

Polly did you receive my email?

AOT are you well, I hope you can manage to enjoy the nice weather.

Elona your home sounds lovely, have you got it the way you want it now. It sounds almost criminal with all the botched jobs by the previous owner?

Lyn I am sure you must be spending a great deal of time in the garden, especially picking those luscious strawberries.

Hoglet, I hope the new job is everything you want it to be, are the cats OK? Flora is very lazy this week, basking in the lovely warmth of the sun. She is at present asleep on my draining board, something I said I would never allow, cats on work surfaces. The trouble is you can't train cats like you can dogs

Tomorrow then is in the garden, Friday shopping and then Himself sees the practice nurse in the afternoon because his BP is fluctuating all over the place, I think they might consider dropping one of his tablets.

Saturday we are hoping to pop to the Farm Shop, it is only about 20 minutes drive away, but I do like their fresh produce and Sunday might be another lazy day.

I hope everyone is reasonably well

Much love and take care

Candlelightx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 24th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 46,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Good to "see" you, fuddle. Hooray, our DD1 has finally stopped coughing! She's been left kn@ckered though, but that's not surprising, I suppose. I hope you're feeling better too xx
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 25th May 17, 12:55 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 56,379 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Candlelight- I'm not even thinking about what hooligans may be rampaging in my garden while im gone! I don't have my own garden as such over here, the areas are beautifully landscaped and cared for but they are pretty much shared bar for a little bit front and back. There are some succulents right outside my windows which are a nice change from the types of plants I'm used to.

I may not have the hares or the pheasants to amuse me right now however I have become accustomed to the local critters. I painstakingly washed the outside of the windows earlier in the week (not sure I have ever seen anyone else else do it here but cloth and basin in hand and off I went. We are ground floor so nice and easy). No sooner was I finished and back inside when hubby pointed to 3 geckos in various positions on the huge patio doors. They shimmy up and down the glass at speed and often sit upside down for ages. I guess i had better get used to them!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th May 17, 9:06 AM
    • 11,450 Posts
    • 144,153 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Goodness me it's HOT!!! I've got the bug for clutter clearing now and I've just been through the only cupboard that is built into the fabric of the house and put all the spare pillows and quilts in there (it's next to the airing cupboard in the smallest bedroom) and there's still room on two shelves so I'll move blankets from the ottoman and then the ottoman can go too!!! I've also been through a couple of drawers of things the girls have left over the years and shed almost the whole lot! feels gooooooooood!!!

We're into town on the bus this morning to book parking at the station for tomorrow as we're off to Twickenham for the rugby, it's going to be very hot there I think so I've looked out my sun hat and some sunglasses too and I'm getting some high factor sun screen today as we'll be just sat and I burn easily. We've decided not to take food, we'll buy there and we'll take water but discard the bottles as there are no bags allowed into the stadium (very sensible and very reassuring) so travelling light is the order of the day.

I made a big vegan chilli yesterday as I knew the next few days will be hot and uncomfortable in the kitchen so a reheat in the microwave and a few tortilla chips, some cashews soaking in the kitchen to make cashew sour cream and I'll make a big batch of salsa to go with it all. It means we have something ready to go when we get home tomorrow too which might be 9 or 10 in the evening, seemed like sense to me.

Stay as cool as you can folks, we're just not used to this much sun are we in the UK? xxx.

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 26th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Isn't it just Lyn, all the windows are open with curtains shut on the sunny side of the house to keep the inside temperature reasonable.
    Just got back from the vets, Tilly's 3 day post op check and apart from slight concern over how little she is weeing all is well, the vet doesn't think it's a real problem maybe some discomfort when squatting, sorry if tmi! He has given her enough pain relief for the weekend and all being well she will go back next Friday to have the stitches out.
    There was a poignant moment when a couple turned up with a cage on wheels with 8 boxer pups in it and the mum on a lead, everyone was ooohing and aahing over them and rightly so as they were gorgeous, then a lady came out with a box clearly distressed and upset as it was her dogs ashes we have all been there and my heart went out to her but the cycle of life keeps turning with those beautiful pups.
    Am just waiting in for our handy chap to turn up and look at the oven, I went to roast some chicken thighs on Wednesday and the fuse blew, taking the element with it, fingers crossed that's all as with vet bills and holidays it been a tough old month on the coffers
    Luckily the grill and the hob are ok so should it be worst I do have cooking facilities and with this warm weather it will be mainly salads etc anyway.
    Have fun tomorrow LW's I'm another easy burner and go factor 30+ all the way so take care.

Hope everyone is well x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 26th May 17, 2:49 PM
    • 11,450 Posts
    • 144,153 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Found some 1 application a day factor 40 in Wilkos, bit more expensive than some but if it works it's worth it. I also got a bargain Peter Storm waterproof breathable 'coat in a bag' (like a kag in a bag but with a zip) in Milletts sale for 15 and it's a size 12! also found a better sun hat with a nice deep brim, both in dark blue so practical too. I've been brave as last time I was up with Nell we went to Mr.T and she showed me some knee length denim shorts which she's got a pair of and said how comfy they are so I got myself a pair this morning, I don't think I've EVER worn shorts in my life but if I can get into jeggings, shorts should be OK and will be so much cooler in this heat. So excited about tomorrows rugby, it's yet another one ticked off the bucket list as I've always wanted to watch a match at Twickenham, I'll have to write another list if this keeps up won't I?

• Floss
    • By Floss 26th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 26,656 Thanks
    Floss
    MrsLW Twickers is a fab experience, but VERY expensive. Also give yourselves plenty of time to get to your seats as it's a hike up to the upper tiers! Is it the England v Babas match? If so, watch for Josh Beaumont (Bill's lad), he's one of our Sale Sharks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter