Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,858Posts
    • 56,654Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 255
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Apr 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Quick one from me .
    I'll read your post properly tomorrow SM . Did register the bit about the Empire biscuits I'm sure they were well received at the market .
    I too hope Hoglet is ok .
    Lainey wishing you a lovely break in York . I hope you get some sun and you can both make the most of the change x

Very cold and starting to freeze here , stay warm all .
    Sleep well
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 149,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh my word, I am delighted to be able to say that finally I'm under BMI 25 this morning! only just under but this last few weeks the weight loss has slowed and only slowly crept downwards. It's a really nice feeling to not only NOT be classified as obese any longer but to actually now be within 'normal' weight range for my height and not even classified as 'overweight'! however the lesson has been learned about complacency and I know now that our eating habits will have to be the way we've been eating for the past 6 months for the rest of our lives, with sensible choices and staying low fat and sugar light. I'm still going to carry on with the weight loss until I get to BMI 22.5/23.5, I'm confident I CAN do that now although I know it will be a slow process and staying under BMI 25 will be the aim long term. I'm happy!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Apr 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you dear Polly x
    Many congrats MrsLW.
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 19th Apr 17, 1:48 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Hello!

Yes I'm here! Sorry to be MIA for so long. We did have a cyclone last week but it missed us by a few miles, our weather has been nothing short of ridiculous over the last few weeks. Anyway, there was a huge panic last week, we were all going to lose our roofs and the harbour bridge was going to close... it was a bit of a damp squib for us in the end, not complaining about that at all, but the next time there's a bad forecast I wonder how many people will ignore it. The cyclong DID happen, but didn't track where it was expected to do the east coast caught it bad and it missed Auckland.

Just been hyper busy really, tying up loose ends at work before I move on, and still running my little business. Deep into rugby season now too, so DH is out for most of Saturday.

Much love
    Hoglet
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Apr 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,093 Thanks
    fuddle
    Well done Lyn! You got there but it was always to just tick the box eh? You have succeeded every step of the way in this journey and I take my hat off to because what you have done is very difficult.

Hoglet it's nice to read that someone is busily getting one with their lives and a cyclone?! Ruddy Nora!

Lainey have you enjoyed your jaunt to York?

The end is nearly in sight with the kitchen. She's fab. As it stands I have 3 cupboards that I don't have stock for in such a small space I'm chuffed.

In other good news my eldest has had her poem selected to be published in a book of poems written by teenagers in the North. She is overwhelmed with her feelings of doing something that is worthy of putting in a book and I'm just brimming with pride.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 21st Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Yay many congrats to Miss Fuddle and her rightly proud Mum, what an achievement x

We had a lovely time in York thank you, our aching legs were testament to the miles walked but worth every step. The Minster is awe inspiring and worthy of a long visit, we met a lovely guide called Kathleen who more or less gave us our own private tour and pointed out all the hidden gems. Her enthusiasm and very apparent love for the building made the entrance fee worth it just in itself. Although the dogs were very happy to see us they had clearly been very well looked after so am happy to put them in those kennels again, spaces are few and far between but have managed a few days next month so are thinking of getting a cottage down in Dorset, Capt S has never been so will be fun to explore.
    Was meant to get out food shopping this morning but when I went out to my car it wouldn't start and sounds like the battery is flat my beloved is in Lancs today watching cricket so no chance of jump start so it's a day at home for me, don't mind really as gives me chance to catch up on chores but cupboards are a tad bare! Currently have bendy veg soup on for my lunch so won't go hungry.
    Lovely to hear from you Hoglet and know that you are safe, what a damp squib the cyclone was in the end!

Hope everyone is well, it's certainly feeling colder today so may have to have an afternoon on the sofa, under the the throw, reading, it's a hard life
    Love to all x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Apr 17, 12:29 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,093 Thanks
    fuddle
    I spent 2 years down in Dorset Lainey! I lived in Wimborne. It's small and quirky town with it's very own little Minster. I miss it terribly. Where are you thinking of staying Lainey? There's plenty to do and lost to see. It's a very beautiful part of our country. You can't fail to have a good time. Excited for you
    Success.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 21st Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    No idea on location really Fuds, vaguely somewhere near the coast would be good but think choice may be limited due to when we can go and what's available?
    Just looked up Wimborne and the Minster looks very interesting especially the chained Library, will add it to the list
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 149,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Way to go Little Miss Fuddle, a published poet? goodness me what an achievement she (and you) can be justifiably proud!!!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 23rd Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,758 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good afternoon all,

It is a beautiful day here so making the most of it.

This morning we drove over to the Farm shop, bought some beautiful sausages and other goodies (homemade faggots included).

The garden is looking good, we just need a few bedding plants. We haven't anywhere to keep them warm, so will leave it a few weeks before we buy them. We visited a garden centre yesterday, they had some beautiful plants but my goodness they were expensive. I think it is likely to be B&Q or a little local shop when we come to buy them.

I had the further procedure on my eyes on Thursday. The backs of my eyes are fine, no bleeding which can be brought about by the diabetes. The Doctor asked me if I would like him to refer me to the hospital with regard to the catarract. I said yes please, so it will be about 6 to 8 weeks before my first appointment to be assessed, in the meantime I am going to the optician on Tuesday to have them tested, and I need to take their report with me to the hospital. I am almost excited, that may sound silly, but it will be lovely to see with both eyes. The trouble is catarracts take such a long time to grow that you almost become accustomed to it, but then it seems to have a growth spurt and you can hardly see at all.

Hoglet pleased to hear you are OK and good luck when you start the new job.

Lyn you have done so well with your weight loss and consequently BMI, it can only be for the good. How are the boys, are they both well? Is Nell back at school yet, our schools are back tomorrow.

Lainey, I love York. Himself and I had a wonderful break there, many years ago now, We went by train, I think it was called Golden Rail Breaks, something like that, and as we walked out of the station, across from us were hundreds of daffodils, it really was a picture. We stayed in a lovely hotel and of course visited the Rail museum, which I didn't think I would be interested in, but I loved it. We also went to the Museum where they showed rooms from different eras, and a horse and carriage was in the middle of a street scene. It was so interesting.

Fuddle I hope you are almost straight now and that you are pleased with your new kitchen, I am sure you must be.

SM, weather doesn't sound good for next week. I suppose it is out of the question for you to be putting bedding plants out yet. My dear Dad used to say, here in the Midlands, not to put them out until Spring Bank Holiday. Probably Lyn is able to put hers out a few weeks earlier. When we lived in Kent I was always surprised how cold it was when I came home to the Midlands, and also windy.

AOT, are you OK? Are you looking forward to summer?

Polly how are you both? Does the weather have any bearing on your conditions. These days the cold seems to penetrate my joints, and Himself never seems to be warm. I think I have said before DD feels the cold and it affects the steel plate she has in her thigh and it can be really painful. You must be a wonderful support to your DD.

Have a good week all

Much love

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd Apr 17, 5:40 PM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 149,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi CANDLELIGHT nice to see you posting pet! Nell goes back on Tuesday and has actually had some time off this holiday not only going to Berlin with me but a day on the isle of Skomer off the Pembrokeshire coast, a day with Ruthie and the pickles, a trip to the opera to see Tosca last night and a social life with visits to friends and friends visiting her at home, finally she's relaxed a bit and feels much better for doing so!!!

The boys are fab thank you, the whole family went to a dear friends civil partnership wedding on Saturday and apparently Zebra took to the dance floor and kept going until 10.30 at night!!! a party animal at the age of 3 and little Oreo wore the tiniest suit I've ever seen (so utterly cute) and was a very good boy for the whole day, they had a rented cottage with a couple of other school friends and their other halves and had a really nice time. We are going to visit on Tuesday and Zebra has asked if we can go to the Zoo and we'll stay and babysit for Ruthie and Neil to go to her best friends birthday do in the evening, they'll take the baby so Zebra will be in bed and we'll just be there in case.

Had a nice day today, we went to the mill for a coffee and a look at furniture etc. called in at an antiques fair (very disappointing) on the way home, got washing dry and ironed, He Who Knows has mown lawns and planted out in the polytunnel and there was rugby on the television.....what's not to like? It's cooling down here after a lovely warm few days and I'm back in a warm jumper and not looking forward to the colder days that are promised us as having lost my 'blubber' layer I now feel the cold in a way never before experienced. Lots of layers would seem to be the order of the day and gloves if I'm outside!

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 23rd Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,093 Thanks
    fuddle
    We visited the York Museum when we went to York. I was fascinated by the street. It really did have me feel like I was there. The rooms helped me picture what my house used to be like too.

The kitchen is in! She's stunning. She's currently cooking us beef bourguignon and mashed potato. We're late because we've been painting and finishing off. We still have skirting to install but that's all cut ready for me to stain this week. She's all wood and cream and got me quivering about keeping g her clean. When it's all completely done I'll show you. Tickled pink I am.
    Success.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 10,753 Posts
    • 149,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oooooohhhhh twinky petal, what a lovely thing to have a sparkly new kitchen to play in. Enjoy it girlie, it's another one of those things that you've earned and worked for and made the way YOU want it, good on you! xxx.

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 23rd Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,758 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Oh Fuddle isn't it a lovely feeling. I hope you are well and remain so.

Much love

Candlelightx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 23rd Apr 17, 6:53 PM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 29,180 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds you will be so proud of your gorgeous sounding kitchen that you will be wiping down after everything you do! It's fab to have a working space where everything is in the right place for you, it makes doing things so much easier and more pleasant.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 23rd Apr 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh how lovely Fuddle, all shiny, new and exactly how you wanted it x

We didn't do the railway museum Candlelight but did do the Museum which was fascinating and well worth the visit, we were only there for three days but packed so much in if felt like a much longer break.
    Capt S has done a lot of driving over the last few days following his beloved Lancs at the cricket so we've had a quiet day at home today, it's been a surprisingly sunny day so have spent a good few hours in the garden and am a bit achey now but with a real feeling of achievement as it's much tidier particularly under the hedging which needed a good clear out. Must admit am a bit worried about my tulip pots, they are all in full flower but we are predicted a couple of very cold nights, do my more green-fingered pals think I should be putting them in the shed?
    Last edited by LaineyT; 23-04-2017 at 8:38 PM.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 23rd Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 9,225 Posts
    • 54,155 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Congratulations, Fuddle, from another who has recently had a brand new kitchen installed. It totally changes the feel of the place, and can't you just kill the person who puts something away in the wrong cupboard!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

August NSDs. 06 of 15
    • karcher
    • By karcher 23rd Apr 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    karcher
    We visited the York Museum when we went to York. I was fascinated by the street. It really did have me feel like I was there. The rooms helped me picture what my house used to be like too.

The kitchen is in! She's stunning. She's currently cooking us beef bourguignon and mashed potato. We're late because we've been painting and finishing off. We still have skirting to install but that's all cut ready for me to stain this week. She's all wood and cream and got me quivering about keeping g her clean. When it's all completely done I'll show you. Tickled pink I am.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Congratulations
    • Floss
    • By Floss 24th Apr 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 29,180 Thanks
    Floss
    ... Must admit am a bit worried about my tulip pots, they are all in full flower but we are predicted a couple of very cold nights, do my more green-fingered pals think I should be putting them in the shed?
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Shed, conservatory, greenhouse - anywhere they will be more sheltered. You could also tuck some fleece or bubble wrap around anything tender.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 24th Apr 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you Floss, will tuck them up in the shed for a couple of nights, think it's meant to get warm again by the BH weekend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

558Posts Today

5,838Users online

Martin's Twitter