Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,890Posts
    • 56,986Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 247
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,689 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds fingers crossed your self-imposed bedrest will keep you at home. It beggars belief that the NHS around here give me the flu & pneumonia jabs as one with asthma, but won't give the p.jab to you who's been hospitalised with it twice.

Been a wet & now windy day here, done a bit of pottering & about to have salt lemon & pepper and/or chilli & lime chicken wings with green salad & orzo Greek salad for supper, followed by almost the last of 2016's rhubarb made into a fool-ish thing with a pot of YS custard & some of DH's wine.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,764 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Hello all,

Well it is a bitterly cold day with a very cold wind.

We went to see my Sister and BIL yesterday which was nice because we hadn't seen them for several weeks.

Today we went shopping, came home put all of it away, did some housework. DGD1 finishes work at 12.30 on a Friday so gave her some lunch and then she popped into town for a couple of hours. She has now gone out with her friend looking absolutely gorgeous.

DD1 is calling tomorrow morning because it is DGD1s birthday on Tuesday so she wanted to bring her card and present round.

I had hoped the weather would warm up because we want to get on with the garden, but according to the forcast that is not to be. Himself feels the cold so much now, that I have almost had to buy him a new wardrobe of clothes. He does wear layers to help but the cold still goes through and makes him feel ill.

Lyn I hope you have a lovely time with Nell.

Fuddle I am pleased to note you are taking care of yourself, and surely the Practice Manager at the surgery will be able to do something about your pneumonia jab. It is so important you don't have pneumonia again, and just think how much it costs the NHS every time you are admitted, when for the price of one injection you would be free of worry and the trauma of being ill and having to leave your DH and beautiful girls whilst the hospital sorts you out.

Lainey I hope everything went as well as possible today, and you must feel relief now that it is over. I think counselling is a good idea for Capt S, and I hope he will go for it. Himself had counselling after he had his heart attack some years ago. He had a silent heart attack, so no pain or none of the usual symptoms, so found it very difficult to accept and understand what went on after. He found it very beneficial, I never asked him what was said, but he did tell me that it was suggested he put all those feelings associated with it in an imaginery box, lock it and hide the key. It did seem to help, not totally but it helped.

Have a good weekend all and keep warm

Much love

Candlelightx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,642 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm afraid I have news. I got myself in a tizzy reading about strep throat, connected to the very same bacteria in the pnemonia jab. I had DH take me to out of hours. I do have a bacterial throat infection, although I haven't been tested for strep throat it is possible that I have a 'group A' infection that can lead to more invasive infection... yeah, you guessed it, pnemonia. I thought I was over reacting but so pleased I went. I have 10 days antibiotics (which I am so cross about as I just got myself pulled together!) so will hopefully see this off but it can turn so i have to watch myself. If no improvement in 3 days I have to get further help. I am livid, amongst the relief that I have treatment and listened to my innerself, that this could possibly have been avoided. I'm sorry but it's no longer to end at 'we're out of stock' I'm susceptible to not only pnemonia but sepsis and meningitis amonsgt other things. I am riled up to fight now... when this hot potato has gone from my throat! I'm home though and ok.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,764 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Oh Fuds I am so sorry.

Calm yourself now, you have caught it at a very early stage and you have the where with all to treat it. I know it must be so frustrating because you have done everything possible to avoid another infection.

I think when you are better you will have to have a sit in at the surgery, and you can call on all of us to back you up

Take care Fuds and try not to worry too much

Bless you

Candlelightx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,689 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds good on you for being concerned. Ask your DH to get you some live yogurt to rebalance your system from the anti-b's, take plenty of rest and fluids, and hopefully you will be better soon xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 39,971 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh darling, what a horrible thing. No joking this time, just you take care of your precious self.
    How dare they not give you the protection that you need! If there is any more prevarication over the pneumonia jab you just tell them that your friends are about to assemble their army and will be arriving at the surgery pretty soon with all weapons at the ready and the elephant geared up and primed to charge.
    That should sort them out.

Till then just cuddle up, take your medicine and get better.

lots of love.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 20,624 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh poor you Fuds and ggrr that you haven't been offered the protection you need, please please take care of yourself. Will fill the mini up, attach the nelly rack to his boot and set him to ramming speed should your army on the march require it!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,004 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Poor Chickie yet again you have to be the one to seek out the treatment for what is an ongoing problem. It makes no sense whatsoever to deny you the pneumonia vaccine because of your age when it is obvious that you NEED the protection from your medical history. Go into terrier mode as soon as you are feeling fit enough to fight and don't stop until you get the protection. To be honest you might even find that contacting your local MP and asking for his/her help in resolving this stalemate situation will help, worth a go?

Looking forward to the concert this evening, the piece is beautiful and the choral society are very accomplished so it should be an absolute pleasure.

Taking Nell out for lunch and also one of her colleagues who has a new baby a few days younger than Orley so hopefully I'll get lots of cuddles while mum can eat her lunch in peace, brilliant!!!

Look after yourselves, particularly in the colder weather we're getting this weekend, Lyn xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 12,892 Thanks
    karcher
    Fuddle Sorry to hear you are poorly. Hope you feel much better soon.

How infuriating about the pneumonia jab, it makes no sense when you clearly need it and could cost the NHS far more if you were hospitalised again. I despair at times I really do.

Take good care of yourself.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,689 Thanks
    Floss
    Oh my. Final weekend of the Six Nations, with a great start by Scotland. Now watching the Welsh team struggling with their national anthem in the wrong key!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Over two weeks of posts to catch up on .
    Lainey I am so sorry to read your latest news I hope CS and yourself can manage to come through all the events that have happened and will find peace and a new normal .
    May be a little early yet but if CS is struggling , counselling is a good idea and maybe at some point you yourself may make use of it to work your way through all the events that have thrown your world off balance .
    Hoping the sun shines again for both of you xx

Fuds I assume it was the walk in centre that prescribed the abs . When did you last see your own GP ? I confess I can't recall if they are helpful or not . The inability to source the Pneumonia jab is not good and smacks of lack of professional behaviour . If you haven't already done so I would advise asking for an urgent appt with your GP to discuss this as your health is being constantly undermined and after all the stuff in your head you've had to process and come to terms with it is wrong to be left in a stressful situation which will be lowering your mood and impacting on your health .
    Take care bonny lass but go get em !
    Much love
    pollyxx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Mar 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thinking of you fuds.. Take care of yourself, wrap up warm, take the meds and get well soon xxx

Oh and all I can say is GGRRRRR! on your behalf!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 154,004 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi all, finally back home, the trains get more crowded and less comfortable every time I'm using them but at least this one was on time and got back here on time.

Concert was as usual very very good, it's such a lovely piece and I've had such a nice weekend with Nell. We did masses of things this time including pruning her apple tree and setting up a bug 'wood pile' in her nature area. Nice to be home too and have a cuppa and my things round me for comfort. Going to sort the suitcase, get the washing on and then see what's left in the fridge to have for supper.

FUDDLEY one I hope you're responding well to the antibiotics and by now are feeling a bit better love, it's rats when you keep getting poorly, demoralising to say the least. Hope you're on the mend xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,642 Thanks
    fuddle
    Polly the only dealings I have had with the GP is the times when I go with difficulty breathing and high heart rate and it's either anxiety or acid reflux. Then there was the time when I went because of the consultants error in diagnoising pernitious anemia. The GP flagged up that the results weren't consistant with that diagnosis. But as far as connecting all the episodes after the event, no. I 've never been to the GP for follow up. I think you have a valid point. I will make an appointment tomorrow while I have the ability to answer the 'Is it urgent?' question with 'I believe so, I have been to out of hours and need further help'. You raise a good point, thank you.

Thank you Ivyleaf and Lyn
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds I'm so happy to read your post . Everything concerning your health feeds back to the GP so that is your best place to go . We are so lucky to have an outstanding doctor who sorts things and makes the magic happen . DD and I are off very early tomorrow to another hospital for a complete assessment of the shoulder situation . It's taken some months but his dogged determination has made it happen . I'm obviously not aware of how good yours is but if need be they can be trained
    Wishing you luck and will be thinking of you xxxx
    Hope all are well early start tomorrow here so hope to catch up with you all .
    much love
    polly xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,689 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle hope you get on OK with the GP appointment x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 20th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 56,986 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Fuddle - take no prisoners, it's time for zero tolerance with so called professionals who seem to be on some kind of power trip. And if you come up against resistance just tell them the back up gang are prepped and ready to react - that should scare the hell out of any normal individual

Sleet and freezing rain up here so looks like Spring is on hold. I just hope my fragile daffodils will be ok.

Still busy here so getting by. Hubby finally noticed how run off my feet I am - came home tonight and he announced he had emptied the dishwasher for me but didn't know where some things went so had left them out. Now before anyone if horrified that him doing this is a novelty that's entirely my fault, I like to do pretty much everything in the home, just the environment I was brought up in. The bit I don't get though is how, after 20 years in this house, he doesn't know where some things live

Heading south on business later this week - at least I might get a bit of warmth for a short time!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,642 Thanks
    fuddle
    It has been two hours of pure frustration. I called from 8am and was on hold for 25 minutes. There were no appointments left to see the GP only emergency appoinments. She wouldn't let me have an emergency appointment without knowing why so I explained. She deemed me non emergency. I asked for a pre-bookable appointment for the future and was told there were non available. I asked to talk to the practise manager and was told that is not an option. I said that this situation was not acceptible to which she told me to put my complaint in writing and put the phone down. I was livid so as I walked past at 8.40 I saw there was another receptionist on so nipped in, explained the situation and I'm waiting for a call-back from the GP. Getting somewhere at least.

I've also been on to the PCT for my area, they can't help me as they don't cover surgery issue and NHS England have directed me back to the surgery too. She did say that if I felt I needed to complain then I could complain via NHS England and they would do it for me. I'll see what comes of the GP call today and then decide what to do.

The worst of it is I have also been on to the organisation who releases stock issues for medications to GP's, pharmacies etc and have found that there is no national shortage of the vaccine and also called the surrounding surgeries to find they have stocks. I asked to move but I'm not in their area. It's an incredibly frustrating situation made worse by the feeling of being fobbed off and now rudeness - my two pet hates.

You all must be tired of this issue because I am!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh fuddle, that's just awful I do hope you get a satisfactory callback from the GP xx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 89,642 Thanks
    fuddle
    I've just spoken to the GP he remembers me (he was the one flagged up the dodgy pernitious aneamia diagnosis and also who the paramedic spoke to in January before taking me in.) He was very apologetic saying that I must have the vaccine and it was in my doctors letter from release from hospital in January. He doesn't know why the receptionist are telling me there's a national shortage and he will investigate saying it unnacceptible for a surgery to beout of stock during the winter wonths.

He's messaging the head nurse to contact me about the vaccine in the next few weeks to enable the entibiotic course to finish. He said any problms that I am to get a message to him.

At least I have an 'in' now. I have a 'Dr xxxxx says' if I encounter resistance. I cried at the end of the phone call. It's just a relief I think. This has been an awful experience. Thank you for suggesting the GP route. They really do want to help it's just us patients have to get through a very busy reception area. I do understand that but there has to be a time when you're listened to you know?

Right on with my day. I'm making baked cheesecake. It's really bad form to watch Hairy Bikers when eating tea of an evening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

486Posts Today

4,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin