Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,858Posts
    • 56,654Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 246
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 13th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Hello everyone,

Well, we've had quite a time lately. We've had very bad weather recently, 4 weather bombs in 5 days leading to lots of flooding. My poor cousins out on the farm had to be rescued by Police boat, and it looks like they won't be able to return to their home. They don't have any insurance and are currently in a temporary flat. One of their cats is still missing too. The farmer lost over 550 sheep.

We have hosted 2 sets of very soggy cyclists also, both for 2 nights. The first group were starting their tour of NZ and the second were just finishing. Very interesting to meet people from all over the world and share some food with them. we've been cooked Austrian and Chilean dishes in the last week and very much enjoyed both.

I've got an interview at the end of the week too for a much more demanding job. Better pay and a more professional environment. Doing lots of research this week!

that's about it from us,

Much love
    Hoglet
    xx
    Last edited by hoglet121; 13-03-2017 at 8:21 PM.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 13th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,758 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Hoglet, my goodness you have had a time of it.

Good luck with the interview I hope it goes well.

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Ooooohhh yippee this morning I am 0.6 away from BMI 25 have around a kilo to go!!! after which no medic no matter how nice is ever going to be able to call me obese or overweight again!!!

We're going swimming this morning, we took Zebra last week and were very impressed at the facilities (the pool is brand new, it opened in the early autumn last year) and now we have to try different sessions at different times of day to see which are the least crowded and most likely to get me an uninterrupted swim (I'm not very confident and not very fast so lane swimming is not an option) in open water. He Who Knows and the girls are like dolphins and can easily keep up in the fast lane. Looking forward to it very much, I haven't been proper swimming for years so it will be very good for me!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 14-03-2017 at 8:07 AM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 10,105 Thanks
    karcher
    Congratulations MrsLW

Enjoy your swim too
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 10,105 Thanks
    karcher
    Congratulations MrsLW

Enjoy your swim too
    Originally posted by karcher
    BTW I always find swimming makes me really hungry..so beware.

I try and counteract the hunger by always taking and drinking a big bottle of water after I've swum. It fills a gap but also a way of differentiating between what may be thirst rather than hunger.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We took a big flask of tea and sat in the car quaffing it after our swim.....my arms know they've done some unaccustomed work though but it was FUN!!!

Sat here in the study waiting for Maisie doggie to arrive for the evening, her mum has a training course until 6 ish so I'll take Maisie for a nice walk and she can have her supper here before she goes home. Walked Cookie after lunch with Sue and Charlie Retriever so I'll have had lots of exercise today and have earned my supper!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 14-03-2017 at 3:39 PM.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 14th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 56,654 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Evening all.

Hoglet - that sounds dreadful. We were marooned a few weeks back but only for about 6 hours so it wasn't serious and all the animals are inside right now (no sheep, just beef cattle) but that's devastating to lose so many.

I've been up to my ears in work. Feels like my personal life is just scraping by but it will improve at the start of next month.
    It was horrible weather on Saturday afternoon and while I was tempted to bake I decided to clean the greenhouse instead - inside and out. It looks so much better and I'm getting ready for spring planting now. My daffodils are starting to bloom and that always makes me feel much happier.

I also had a blitz of things to the charity shop and a friend told me about Ziffit for selling books. I have boxes of them in the attic so maybe this weekend I will get a box down and see if it's worthwhile getting rid of them. They've been in the attic for a few years so realistically I'm not going to read them again - I never do so why I keep them I do not know

I'm off to catch the finale of "Gold Rush" now. It's the only "reality" tv show I watch so it's my guilty pleasure.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,085 Thanks
    fuddle
    Hoglet I am so sorry. Flooding just ruins everything. I cant imagine the physical and emotional loss involved.

Lainey may your home be filled with just a little more of whatever Captain S needs these next few days but be looking after you as well.

Hoping pressures ease for you soon scottishminnie, and if they don't I hope you can tweak something to make sure they do!

Lyn I have decided that there are no bargains to be had (local coop was the decider in that decision) Ijust have to make sure Iget the best out of all my ingredients. I'm appreciating all food bought,nit least as I regularly have to cart it back up the hill.

I had a lovely weekend awat in York with DH but I am afraid I am not well at the moment. It's just a cold but i ache. Im over reacting in terms of bedrest but I want to look after myself. I still haven't had the p vaccine as my surgery is continually out of stock. I am worried but doing all I can to look after myself. My purse groans each time I pull out bus fare and I join in the groaning because I'm fit,my legs work and I'm losing weight because of the journey so a bit frustrated.

There are no school places in the local school so I have tried the one in the next village up. A much less walk but all uphill still. I dont hold out much hope but DDvwants me to try.

House is still 'up the eyes' as my gran would say. Kitchen fitter is booked for Easter hols and a combination of us, kitchen planner, fitter and my next door neighbour have planned a small, needs must kitchen, trying to get everything in. I got the plans back today. She's a small, very expensive smasher! We didnt go with the company my dad worked for in the end. I couldn't justify the expense. So we've gone with builders merchants know to DH and the fitter my neighbour used last year and comes highly recommended.

I will show you my bedroom atvthe weekend, itsvthe door holding it up. DH has only done the DD's door. Thats all I got though, still living amongst bare plaster and wrecked kaminate flooring.
    Success.
    It's not always what you see.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You look after your little self as well as you need to petal, we've only got one Fuddle and we like it best when she's well!!! If you need the bed rest girlie then take it, common sense says that you haven't been properly well for some time now and you should be careful and rest up and stay warm when you've got a cold. We don't want you back in hospital again do we? The bus is necessary damage limitation, don't beat yourself up over it because it's what you need to do right now. Time to make like mountain goats in the better weather when you've gotten this pneumonia jab and the germs out of your system and your health back xxx.

• monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 35,616 Thanks
    monnagran
    Fuddle, so glad that you enjoyed your weekend.
    to the cold. Now I'm not going say a word. Honestly, not a single instruction. My lips are sealed. I wouldn't dream of saying anything along the lines of look after yourself, have plenty of rest, don't do too much. Absolutely not. I never, never nag. Do I?

The kitchen sounds wonderful. Small is good, no room for inessentials. The smallest kitchen I ever had was in my cottage approx 5ft x 9ft and when we moved in all it had was a sink unit and 3 pegs on the wall.
    By the time my friends builder husband had finished with it it contained a fridge/freezer, dish washer, washing machine, tumble drier and enough cupboards and drawers for all food, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, magimix, toaster, microwave............and it didn't look overcrowded. In fact it was the prettiest and most efficient kitchen i have ever had. Yours will be just as wonderful Fuds.
    Love your signature by the way. It's so true. Homes not only provide shelter but a foundation too.

Lyn. not long now. How are you going to celebrate reaching your target? A nice chicken salad or a cream doughnut?
    Seriously, you have done brilliantly, and isn't it wonderful to be able to choose clothes because you love them and not just because you can get into them. Well done.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    SOUP we shall be celebrating with wonderful tasty soup xxx.

• Floss
    • By Floss 15th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 29,177 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle is it worth a conversation with the practice manager about the lack of p.jab? Great news about the kitchen - I'm sure it will be fab
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 16th Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,085 Thanks
    fuddle
    I laugh when I see my signature monna because in theory it kind of suits what has gone on these past years but it all surrounds the end game which is a Victorian terrace which, er, has limited foundations! Well it tickles me anyway.

Lyn, just out of nosey curiosity, what is your favourite soup flavour/recipe?

I was wondering that too Floss. I think if it goes on much longer I'm going to have to do something.

I've had a tough night. If I wasn't shivering, I was sweating. I seemed to have been perspiring all through the night too but I feel like I've turned a corner this morning. I have faith in my fly jab. I think it might be helping me out.

Oh to the day I'm settled and boring you with OS living again. I miss it, miss my routines, my enjoyable cooking (as opposed to just getting the job done) miss having a place for everything etc but it could all be worse and I keep pinching myself when I get a bit grumpy. Have a good day everyone.
    Success.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You'll get there in the not too distant future lovey and it will be all the sweeter for the waiting time when you do!

I have several soups that we like very much Oatmeal Soup, Lentil Soup, Leek and Potato Soup, Minestrone but the one I like best is a 'Cranks' based recipe from the first published book that is Carrot Pottage and it's very savoury and velvet smooth and has a very adult flavour. I also LOVE tomato and basil soup made in the late summer with tomatoes from the greenhouse and oodles of fresh basil from the polytunnel, we never tire of it and are always sad when the tomato season is over. Having said that the one I make on a regular basis is 'Bottom of the Fridge Soup' with a changing contents list of whatever needs using up and whatever herbs I have fresh from the garden and everything from sad salad to hoary swedes go into that.....and it still tastes OK!!!

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 16,945 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Hoping you feel better soon Fuddle, as others have said, you need to do whatever ensures that you do just that x Personally I prefer a smaller kitchen with everything within reach and not too far to walk with potentially hot dishes. It always makes me laugh on those reality housing programmes when people are shown huge, cavernous rooms, not at all cosy and they often echo as well...'shudders' Horses for courses I guess.

Am in awe of your weight loss Lyn, good for you m'dear and how exciting to be buying such smaller clothes x

Hoglet, how scary for those people who were flooded out and awful to lose their animals, good luck for tomorrow's interview.

SM, hope the work/life balance sorts itself out soon and your head feels clearer for it.

We are still muddling along here, the funeral is tomorrow so we will be heading up North. My lovely man is doing ok but holding it all in, feel a bit helpless tbh have tentatively suggested some sort of counselling which he accepted might be a good idea but suspect it's a snowball in hells chance will actually go. Will see.
    Love to all x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 49,312 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Will be thinking of you both, Lainey. i hope it goes as well as possible and that your lovely Captain S will be okay.

Thoughts are with you too fuddle. As others have said, make sure you look after yourself and get well soon! I hope the surgery can get hold of some P. vaccine for you - it's ridiculous that someone in your situation just keeps being told that they haven't got any in stock
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 29,177 Thanks
    Floss
    Lainey there may be some info about bereavement counselling at your GP surgery, or on your local CCG website. In our area there are phone helpline services too.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The only down side to the weight loss is the loss of stamina that we are both suffering at the moment, I was astonished that just 6 lengths of the pool left me without any oomph at all. My muscles didn't hurt as much the next day as I thought they would but I find my energy levels are quite reduced so will have to work harder at getting fit over the next few months and build myself some muscles back again!!! Buying the clothes is smashing though!!!

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 149,476 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm off to Nell for a concert tomorrow morning and back on Monday afternoon, Rachmaninovs Vespers in the Cathedral, should be sumptuous!!! will try to post but we'll be busy so may only be able to read along in the odd 5 minutes, look after yourselves xxx.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 87,085 Thanks
    fuddle
    Lyn you don't 'alf get yourself out and about culturally. I hope it was a good one, setting you up nicely for an equally good weekend.

I still have a sore throat. I'm watching myself carefully. Any deterioration and I'll be seeking further help. I have been on the hunt for the pnemonia vaccine today. Boots will give me it privately for £70 if I'm 50+ in age. I don't meet their criteria so I can't have it. Floss I have wrote a letter to the surgery practise manager today asking, as lovely as I can for help in accessing it. It's an incredibly frustrating situation now and I am sure I know where I am likely to end up.
    Last edited by fuddle; 17-03-2017 at 6:24 PM.
    Success.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,768Posts Today

5,403Users online

Martin's Twitter