Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,851Posts
    • 56,562Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 245
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,167 Thanks
    Floss
    Lainey I'm so sorry for your loss xxx
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 6th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Much love to you both, Lainey.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 6th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    karcher
    So sorry for your loss lainey..(it seems it never rains but pours) ..take good care of you both xx
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 6th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,851 Posts
    • 56,562 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    I'm so sorry Lainey. So soon after your dear mum. Take care of each other.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 34,371 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh Lainey, this has been an awful few weeks for you. I hope and pray that this will be the last bad thing to happen to you and your dear CaptainS for a while and that 2017 will pick up from here on and give you happiness and peace.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 6th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 9,282 Thanks
    shanks77
    So sorry to hear your bad news Lainey. Best wishes to you both xx
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 9,182 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Sorry, Lainey. Life is such a beeatch sometimes.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

July NSDs. 11 of 15
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    karcher
    Lainey hope you are coping as well as you can at such a difficult, sad time.

Thank you very much, Karcher. I can fix a puncture but that's about it. I do carry a mulitool, in the vain hope that I might know what to do with it should a problem arise. Thanks v much re the job too.

Glad to hear you're starting to feel better. :-)
    Originally posted by hoglet121
    hoglet we've been discussing rehydration drinks in the garden fence thread and I thought of you as a cyclist.

Long distance cyclists often fill a bottle with flat, full sugar Coke diluted with water and a pinch of salt as a rehydration drink whilst on the move. Much cheaper than the shop bought energy drinks you get in sports shops.

( it's a great hangover/upset stomach cure too if your body doesn't immediately reject it ).
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot to know that you are all thinking of us.
    Tbh, think my darling man is in shock, his Dad has been very poorly before but always managed to rally round and I think that's what my love expected to happen again. I am so glad that he took the time to visit him and make peace, they have been estranged since before we got together and I know only too well how much regret there was about the situation. All I can do is love, hold and support.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 10,607 Posts
    • 147,649 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Super visit to the zoo this morning followed by a lovely Cookie walk back here. Zebra splishing in the bath as I type, Orley fast asleep in his rocker chair next to his Opa in the lounge, supper ready to go in the kitchen and I think we're going to watch Madagaskar when they come back down before bedtime.....what on earth more could I possibly need???
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 7th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Thanks, Karcher, I usually don't 'do' sugar but I do when I'm on the bike. I've tried lots of things including all different foods, but I find drinks with sugar in them the easiest to digest as I go along.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    karcher
    Thanks, Karcher, I usually don't 'do' sugar but I do when I'm on the bike. I've tried lots of things including all different foods, but I find drinks with sugar in them the easiest to digest as I go along.
    Originally posted by hoglet121
    Me neither but when cycling long distances, especially in the heat, you need a way to replace what you're using up and sweating out...preferably before you feel the need iyswim.

I can't eat before or when exercising..the full fat, flat coke thing with water covers all bases. Try it, it may just get you all the way home 'under your own steam'
    Last edited by karcher; 07-03-2017 at 8:28 PM.
    • Cafekate
    • By Cafekate 7th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    Cafekate
    LAINEY so sorry for your loss.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Mar 17, 1:53 AM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 34,790 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Lainey so sorry to hear your news.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 10,607 Posts
    • 147,649 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning!!! Ruthie and the boys left this morning, Daddy gets back from the USA tomorrow lunchtime, Zebra mega excited!!! I've rediscovered the floors, stripped the beds, done the washing and am blissfully happy but shattered!!! A Cookie walk and an easy afternoon in store and RUGBY!!!!!(YAY) this evening on the TV, catch you tomorrow!!! xxx.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 10,607 Posts
    • 147,649 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Evening all, nice productive day today. I went in to town in the morning to do a food shop, is anyone else noticing that the supermarkets don't seem to be doing as many reductions as they used to? and that the amount they take off even if the item is to use by today is getting smaller. I found grapes reduced from £2 to £1.78 this morning in Mr.T needless to say they stayed there! No meat reduced from the butchery, very little fruit and veg from the veg section and hardly anything from the deli except spring rolls and sausage rolls which aren't something I'd look at. I think profit margins might be getting smaller and maybe the big reduction is disappearing so bargains are too. We've started chopping up the two big garden tables from the pub and it's lots of wood, we've both walked Cookie, housework and washing has been done and we enjoyed the rugby on the TV this afternoon. Tomorrow looks to be a wet day down here so we will go out for a coffee to one of the garden centres and I've some ironing to tackle as well, don't mind ironing whilst watching the rain fall. Zebra is happy again as Daddy got back from the US just after lunch today so he's smiling again, he missed his daddy lots!!!

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 13th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,756 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good afternoon all,

Well the weather is lovely here today. 2 loads of washing out drying in the sunshine, Himself is gradually working on the garden and I am labouring for him. At the moment we are having to get out in the garden in between the rainy days.

We have no medical appointments this week which makes a pleasant change.

We went out for a carvery yesterday with our 3 grandchildren which was very pleasant, and my goodness where has the time gone, they are all grown up now.

Fuddle I hope everything is going well in your new home and everything is coming together.

Polly where are you, I hope you and DD are not too bad and did you enjoy your break.

SM, hello, how is the weather up there at the moment, it is so changeable here and we are itching to do things in the garden, but it will all be done in good time

Hoglet, hello how are you?

Lyn I hope your shopping trip was successful, there is nothing like buying new undies to brighten up your day.

Lainey I was reading in the Mail today of 2 cobb horses who have been taken into a sanctuary in Ely because they had been abandoned (mother and foal I think) and in a dreadful state. I thought of you and dear Bill. The vet didn't think the foal would survive, but 6 weeks later they are jumping around in the field. How can people be so cruel. How is Capt S coping with everything, has the funeral taken place yet?

Nothing exciting happening here so take care everyone

Candlelightx
    Last edited by candlelight 2013; 13-03-2017 at 2:11 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 3:49 PM
    • 10,607 Posts
    • 147,649 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Candlelight we have the most beautiful spring day too, in fact I walked Cookie this afternoon in just a jumper and jeans and felt too warm! it's blissful out there and blossom trees, mimosa trees and forsythia bushes are covered in blossoms as is a wonderful old magnolia which seems to have become covered with open flowers in a single day.

Shopping was a little like the Curates egg, good in parts! I got a couple of pairs of PJs and 4 T Shirts but no jeans in my size, length or black and M & S didn't have the undies I wanted in my size so I'll pop into town later in the week where surprisingly the shops are slightly larger than those in the centre in the city. I did however find some really nice Easter presents for the girlies we normally send to in Paperchase so I'm pleased with that.

He Who Knows has processed most of the wood from the broken garden tables from the pub and has mown all the lawns this afternoon too. My bedding dried beautifully on the line outside and I found a really nice book in The Works with Egg Recipes in it which is going to be useful. I'm making a new to us pasta dish for supper Chicken Caprese so I'm looking forward to that and maybe an earlyish night as I've been waking up several times in the night lately usually too hot which is surprising as we've not lit the stove for the past couple of evenings , who knows???

• LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 16,238 Thanks
    LaineyT
    He's doing ok thanks Candlelight although has somewhat buried his grief, the funeral is on Friday so that's a huge hurdle in his mind but I can't help thinking it will be a good thing to help him confront what has happened.
    Yes, the mare and foal case got a lot of exposure around this region, hate to say but it's just the tip of the iceberg with so many horses being abandoned/neglected. Funny enough I took the opportunity of a warm sunny day today to clear out the shed and sorted through all of Bill's tack etc. I just threw it all in there when I lost him but it's been weighing on my mind Tough job but glad it's now been tackled, made me realise how much I miss being around horses and need to think about what I will do now? Not sure if that will involve getting another horse or not, will have to wat and see, am a great believer in fate so let's see what is in store for me.

Hope everyone is well and saw some sunshine today, it certainly lifts the heart x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,167 Thanks
    Floss
    Lainey, I know it took my DH some time to deal with losing both his parents within 9 weeks, I am afraid that, based on that and the way my 3 brothers coped after losing our parents, with men & grief it is a waiting game.

I think you are right about fate - wait to see what comes your way without forcing anything, it will usually the best outcome for all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,219Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin