Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,784Posts
    • 55,098Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 193
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 23,369 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good gracious Polly, your poor daughter. Can't they give her an anti emetic to stop her being sick. I assume this is new medication she has been started on. Does it say on the paper in the box that this might be a side effect because I would definitley query it, even if it is with the pharmacist, they always seem so knowledgeable and you can see them straight away. From Friday until today is a long time to be vomiting, I am sure you are giving her fluids but is she retaining them, you don't want her dehydrated as well.

Please tell her you have friends here who are thinking of her and hoping she feels more human soon

Love and hugs

Candlelightx
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 82,742 Thanks
    fuddle
    He's finished the top and the lower shelf. Just the legs to go now buy it will be a few weekends time as we're going away next weekend.

I've been to the doctors again with chest pain. She has no reason to believe it is anything other than acid reflux (even though I already take 20mg omezprazole for it) the answer is a doubled dose. I awoke to visions of my mam yellow faced looking down at me. I am now back on my anxiety meds. I have a new asthma inhaler as the pain in my chest makes inhaling the powder difficult. I have an aerosol that can be used in the spacer. My breathlessness and my pain is immense. I don't do self pity normally but today I am just crying all the time.

Nargle's your full moon was pants! (But I did look at it through the window so probably given myself a dose of bad luck )
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.
    Only a fool trips on what is behind them.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Deep breath small one, it's two steps forward and one step back isn't it lovey? It's only natural that you worry about mum, even though you know in your heart that you can't change anything you'll never be able to stop the worry creeping back into your subconscious mind and it will spill over sometimes. Good for getting an asthma aerosol to use in the spacer, much easier to administer and I hope the double dose of meds for acid reflux works pdq!

You've been through so much of late girlie, you're still in the early stages of recovering from pretty major illness and you're beginning to do things again which is going to deplete your energy reserves and put you that one step back every now and then. No wonder you're feeling low and sad, who wouldn't under those circumstances. It's normal for it to happen and mum into the picture with her problems again is just too much. You will gradually and with care for yourself gain back your strength and stamina, it will take more time than you realise and you'll get these setbacks along the way BUT I promise health and better outlook WILL come again, you have to be patient and you HAVE to be easy on yourself. I send you love and hugs and gentleness to wipe away those tears, today is dark I wish tomorrow and all your other tomorrows full of sunshine and smiles, poor little one, Lyn xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds I really wish I good give you a real life hug . Give the Oromorph dose a chance it just might do the trick dd has been taking it for years and it is very effective in cushioning the meds and minimising damage to your digestive system . Obviously keep track of how you feel but it's worth a try . Ditto the inhaler and spacer , both youngest and middle daughter are asthmatic and the spacer made so much difference to that crushing feeling and fight for breath . Hopefully the new inhaler will make a difference . I don't know what to suggest about the anxiety issue , except the shock the other day will have triggered all the bad stuff once again . I know it's hard but is there any form of distraction you can employ ? dd has found adult colouring takes her mind off the stuff that stresses her far more than automatically knitting or similar hobbies . She says it's quite mindful as she has to really concentrate on what she is doing . Have you discussed the mum situation with your doctor , maybe a little gentle counselling may help , nothing triggering just gentle suggestions to help you through this time .
    Look after yourself love - will think of you when I light my candle this evening x
    Back in a bit
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Back again Lovely nurse at the surgery has squeezed her in for bloods . It is next Monday early so fingers crossed on that .
    Candlelight Dr put her on anti emetics a while ago and they were making a difference . The methotrexate has been a factor , it took her months to settle . She had a lot of sickness and other unpleasant side effects however she has been taking it for a few years now and until a few months ago the positives outweighed the negatives .
    The reason the gp sees her every other week max is because of the large amount of different meds she is on all the year round . He is very careful to balance things correctly and considers the pros and cons of everything . The problem recently seems to lie with very high inflammation which appears to be attacking every part of her body including we all think her stomach . After the recent complete waste of time trying to get some sense from the Rheumo team . We need the bloods asap , the markers have been rising as she's become worse and gp has still not had any response from his calls and messages to the hospital . I am wondering if her regular nurse is away at the moment as she would have had it sorted same day . The nurse I got hold of twice has not actioned anything , a bit poor and a shame as dd was quite trusting of that department despite the long journey and bang goes another safe place ! Sorry for the vent x
    Fuds Oddly enough despite the rainy weekend I had a much better view of the moon last night , maybe we just need a bit of patience and all will be well .
    I was shocked today to see the Liver Buildings are up for sale . When my dad was on the wartime navy convoys they would watch out for the Liver Bird that looks out to sea and know they were almost back safe . I hope they leave the two birds untouched as rather like the Ravens in the Tower they are protectors . What a world eh ?
    Take care all
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've got a crow/rook who visits the garden every day and 'sings' when he sees me go into the garden, I've called him Dickon because it suits him. He's very obliging and mops up any stale bread etc that I pop on the lawn and seems to deter the seagulls who flock in mob handed when they see food. He brought a friend the other day but only the once, mostly it's just him and a handsome bird he is too!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 23,369 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Oh dearest Fuddle what are we going to do with you?

I am going to burn a calming candle for you this evening and hope some of it reaches you. I am sorry you are in so much pain, and I do think you have a right to feel sorry for yourself. I know it seems to be going on for a long time, but you have been very ill. They don't admit people to hospital unless there is no other option.

Carry on with what you have been doing. Take things steady, when you are tired rest, eat small portions of good wholesome food. Your DH and girls love you to bits, they will understand and I know they will help you.

You have a great deal to cope with at the moment, but your priority is YOU. You need to be happy and well to look after your family. You can't do anything about your Mum, she has made her choices, and I can't see anyway back for her. You have to remember she is mother you are DAUGHTER, and you can't reverse the roles. In normal circumstances a Mum would be looking after her daughter who had been so ill and was finding things difficult at the moment. This isn't going to happen, so you have to stop worrying about her and things you cannot change, and put your strength and energy into getting well.

Much love to you Fuddle

Candlelightx
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 17th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 15,460 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Aw fuddle pet you need to take it much easier - I know, easier said than done. I took me most of this year to shake pneumonia, and my lungs have not recovered properly - hoping the spacer will work for you - it helps me. Do you think the chest pain might be linked to your anxiety? when you're recovering from pneumonia your heart and lungs are very susceptible - I find I get stabbing pains in my back and sides, its a different feeling to reflux? Hope you feel better soon, and I would second something to take your mind off your troubles, even for a short while.

Polly sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles - since my pneumonia I cannot tolerate the full dose of metho, so plan to combine with another similar drug - sulpho I think - when i've titrated up to it. As you know PsA can attack your bowel and stomach muscles as well as the more usual ones - it's a particular issue for me and my daughter. Sounds like a massive flare up - hope the rheumy team come back to you soon - do you think they would consider a kenalog to bring it back under control a bit?? Keeping everything crossed for both of you - it's a horrid disease!!!!!!!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 21,006 Thanks
    Floss
    Polly the Liver Building is grade 1 listed and is also part of the World Heritage site on the Liverpool waterfront so the Birds won't be going anywhere
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 6:04 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Thanks WCS Oddly enough in between the odd post today I've had what I call the psa bible out - canadian book via oxford university press but much cheaper from Am . It is very good at all the various add ins and I've been reading and cross checking with her other meds plus checking Nice to see what is available . I swear I could qualify as a consultant at this rate ! We always aim to be informed and proactive but rheumo have really not stepped up this time . It's the first time in over four years we've urgently needed advice and dds trust has gone .
    Gentle hugs to you and your daughter .
    Our Doctor has shared care and is on the case but annoyed at the lack of response . Anyway going to sort the bins and have a look at Mars post over on the fence .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Floss The three graces are all due for sale by order of Liverpool Council . Liver building is the first to go on the market . I found it accidentally via a conversation with an old friend who was wondering if it was April Fools day . I don't think grade one listing is secure anymore as I know of a number of properties where that was ignored and the sale went ahead . Rubbish at links but check Liverpool Echo website as she read it there .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Sorry Floss that should have been with the agreement of the council , the owners are the ones selling .
    polly
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 10,506 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Evening all and welcome to our new friends, pull up a seat and enjoy one of the warmest threads on the site.

Am so sorry that you are in so much pain and discomfort Fuddle, will add my candle to the ones already been lit tonight and invoke healing vibes for you, Polly and DD together with WCS and her DD, it seems we are all experiencing health problems at the moment or have loved ones who are.
    Just back from seeing Mum, the difficulty swallowing has meant she is now on soft foods only, we spoke to the GP today and he will call again on Wednesday to see if any further deterioration has taken place and a feeding tube is needed. Suspect if that is the case remaining at my DB's may be a problem but we will see. I am picking her up tomorrow to take her over the bungalow for a meeting with her Stoma nurse, it will also give us an opportunity to sort through her jewellery and box it up for her wished recipients. Another tough challenge but it's what she wants to do and that's what matters.
    Need to dish up our evening meal now so will sign off, take care and love to all xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lainey Much love to you and mum . I hope she gets more time with your DB before she has to move , she was so much happier so hopeful vibes heading your way . I imagine a little trail of candlelight heading out from this thread , thank you for your good wishes x
    polly
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    For everyone who needs them there are cuddles and smiles, there are soft spoken prayers for each one individually, there is love given freely and without end, there is support and strength and hope in limitless quantity and for endless time because we are all who we are and what we are and it strengthens these friendships and gladdens our hearts because we each give much more than we take. This is a GOOD place to be!

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 7,446 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds just noticed I said oromorph instead of omoprozole ignore me . Too many meds and comparisons in my brain right now . My spelling and every thing has gone to pot over the last few days so I will log out and try to keep my eyes open to watch the victorian house .
    Wishing you all a peaceful night
    polly x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 23,369 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Well I went for my GP appointment, he didn't know why I was there. I told him the receptionist said he wanted to see me.

Anyway he was able to look at the results of the blood test I had done last week for the renal Consultant and evidently one of those was for the parathyroid gland. Something to do with too much calcium which could affect the kidneys, but he didn't tell me the results that is up to the Consultant.

He did notice that I hadn't been tested for kidney function again, so I have to go up to the hospital in the morning to have that done so that it is on my records for next Tuesday when I see the Consultant.

I could write a book Tune in next week for a further instalment.

My GP tells me I look well, I tell him I feel well, we shall see.

Lainey. I think your Mum will feel relief when she has sorted the jewellery out. I know you said you had bought little jewellery boxes for this reason, and how lovely for the ladies/girls to know Mum had chosen these particular pieces just for them.

Now all you poorlies, I want you to go to bed tonight thinking lovely thoughts as you drift off. I wish I could get you altogether to give you a hug, but I can't so I send a virtual one.

Sleep tight all

Candlelightx
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 17th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 51,860 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Good evening everyone, sorry to hear of so many being under the weather. Lainey it is good your mum wants to sort things out, knowing her time on this earth is limited. I personally would not want to subject my mother to having a feeding tube inserted in those circumstances, but you and your family must do what you feel is right. May you continue to make happy memories with her in the time she has left.

Fuddle sorry the full moon didn't work its magic for you straight away, but as the moon wanes you can focus on all the stresses and pains diminishing. The candles people are lighting for you should channel some healing vibes your way. This stuff may all sound a bit airy-fairy but you would be surprised at what can be achieved. Pneumonia can knock you bandy for weeks and months, so the more help the better!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 00 of 15
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 17th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Much love and hugs to you Fuddle and for your daughter Pollyanna xxx

Not much to report from us, rode in on my bike again this morning and got 3 personal records on different sections of the route - I promise I am tkaing it carefully, must just be the luck of catching the traffic lights or not. Left my keys at work by accident yesterday so had to wait for half an hour of the lifts to open when I arrived this morning. I gave my bike a wash when I got home last night so at least it is now much less disgusting, espaecailly as it sits next to my desk during the day!

I'm planning a long bike ride during my Christmas holidays - Auckland to Wellington which is 470 odd miles. I think it will take me about 4 1/2 days, and DH will meet me in Wellington, we'll have a day or so there and then come back up to Auckland on the train. DH thinks I'm nuts but doesn't really mind me doing it - I don't think! I have a long route planned around the South Island too, which I think will take 2-3 weeks. Haven't worked out the logistics of that yet. I would dearly love to set off on a long adventure but sadly I need to keep working.....

Better get onto some work
    Hoglet xxx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Going to play with Zebra, back later xxx.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin