Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,784Posts
    • 55,156Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 192
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Just home from a very emotional evening with my darling Mum and brother, we have talked through everything from the letter through to all her wishes for the funeral etc and now we all know where we stand. It was tough at times but we also managed quite a few little giggles and daft suggestions which lightened the atmosphere when needed. We finished by having one big hug, just the three of us although like to think that darling Dad and my beloved eldest brother were with us in spirit, the original famous five
    Drove home by the light of the beautiful full moon, it's so bright under the clear sky so stood for a moment in the garden gazing up at the stars. Just enjoying a small glass of red wine and relaxing before head to bed.
    Dear Fuddle, am so sorry that you are having to carry such a heavy burden and obviously have for a long time, can't really add anything else to what our wise friends have already said but just to say am thinking of you and wishing you peace x
    Night all xx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Oct 16, 11:21 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lainey you've been in my mind all day . Although it has been hard perhaps today will make the days to come focused on the good stuff . Everything is open now and no niggles to anticipate . Raise that glass to the original famous five , wishing you a restful night .
    Love polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,566 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well done LAINEY such a difficult thing to do for all of you but I hope now that you will all be able to tread the unalterable pathway to its conclusion in complete understanding and harmony with each other. Blessings on you all my friend, you'll find the strength to do it from somewhere and be given the comfort you need too, Lyn xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 16th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 23,442 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Lainey I am so pleased the three of you have been able to talk about the arrangements that Mum would like, and even have a giggle about possible suggestions. You sound to be such a loving family and have been through a great deal with the death of your darling Dad and Brother. I hope you have all found some calmness within yourselves and if Mum isn't in too much discomfort, who knows, she might go past the estimated time. The human spirit is a wonderful thing, God bless you all at such a difficult time.

It is raining here and in fact is quite miserable. I have some vouchers for Sainsbugs so we will be popping there when it opens. I like to use vouchers for topping up my store cupboard.

Polly sending love and comforting hugs to you and your daughter, life doesn't seem to get any easier for either of you.

Have a good Sunday

Candlelightx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Morning all another wet and miserable morning here . I need to crack on with stuff as yesterday was a bit of a lazy day . Early hospital bloods tomorrow for DD so will need my ducks in a row by then .
    Will be back later , Candlelight I was in sainsbuge on Friday and they had some good offers on store cupboard type stuff including my ambrosia rice pudding . I noticed the porridge oats seem to have risen in price so will keep an eye out for them reducing those which happens from time to time . Hope you pick up some bargains and as always thank you for your kind words x
    Wishing all a good day where possible , see you later
    polly x
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 16th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 82,911 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thank you all for your support. I am fine.

Dreadful day here too. We're staying home. I have some lamb shoulder in the slow cooker with minted gravy, will add dumplings later and about to make Eve's pudding. DH is in the garage again. He is a gem but I would never tell him that. We get along so well but I think that's because we had similar upbringings, got through the awful stuff and have learned together. DH doesn't hold grudges, has not got a bitter bone in him and is very friendly but he is scarred as am I. We are safe together come what may and I think that's because we strive for nothing other than to feel contentment now. But he is a pig to live with so be under no illusions... I have to endure sarcasm and wit all day long!
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.
    Only a fool trips on what is behind them.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lamb , minted gravy , dumplings and Eves pud - oh my !!! All my favourites in one go . I'm putting my coat on , I may be some time
    Have a good day , I'm a fan of sarcasm and wit when done in a kind way , takes a good level of intelligence to get it right - enjoy .
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,566 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've come to the conclusion that living a slightly 'old fashioned' life is much better for us. Certainly I've come to the conclusion that plain but nourishing food is much less costly than 'fashionable' food and is good for our well being even if the health and cheffy bods are trying to convince us that certain foods and certain diets are better for us. This week I shopped at Mr.T and because I had a limited amount of cash I decided to see just what I COULD get and what I can make from it. Last night we had sweet potato and cod fish cakes with peas from the freezer, tomatoes from the greenhouse and home made oven wedges to use up the last few 'damaged' potatoes from the allotment and very tasty it was too. I bought 500g of beef mince and used half of it to make a Keema Curry for Friday evening and the other half is in the freezer for shepherds pie on Thursday. Tonight we have 2 individual steak pies with roasties, carrots, broccoli and gravy followed by apple crumble (apples from our tree) made to a wartime recipe and custard. My whole shop came in under £29, I had cheese, stork marge, potatoes and sugar in already and of course all my home made preserves and the home grown produce, but we're so enjoying the meals and looking at my menu plan for the week will continue to do so for the rest of the week. Perhaps a nutritionist would look at our luncheon meat and brown sauce sandwiches for lunch and shudder, maybe apple crumble and Victoria sponge are viewed as indulgences, all in all the meal plan is veg heavy and the meat, fat and sugar content smaller than modern palates like. We're having a decent portion for each meal and a low sugar pudding too and I can honestly say we're not snacking so we must be doing something right for our 'constitutions'! Haven't enjoyed meals quite this much for quite a while.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I feel such a dur brain. What is the T word that can't be mentioned? I don't understand! x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 16th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 23,442 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Nomoonatall. it means TOUGH

You are not the first to ask

Candlelightx
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 16th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall. it means TOUGH

You are not the first to ask

Candlelightx
    Originally posted by candlelight 2013
    Thanks candlelight, I was thinking all sorts of things! x
    Last edited by Nomoonatall; 17-10-2016 at 4:35 PM.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Very much in agreement Lyn , that's the comfort food I referred to the other night - warms the body and the spirit . I think we all have the commonsense to eat in a sensible balanced diet . Although my father was a head chef who taught me to cook many years ago . I think the modern chef culture is very much driven by what they can make financially off the back of advice whether it be books , so called must have equipment or profit from promoting brands . I will always have a soft spot for Nigel Slater - would love to spend time in his garden and kitchen , Gary Rhodes and Brian Turner are two others who's recipe books I own and use but apart from the books they didn't push their luck and seemed content to get their ideas out
    there .
    Welcome to NMAT I hope you stick around with us . We are a small but friendly band .
    Fuds You had me freezer diving earlier , think everyone knows what will be on the menu tomorrow !
    Take care all
    polly x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 16th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 55,156 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Evening all. I was cheered at the sight of Nargleblast's new moon last night as I called it. A little cloudy and through the mist but a new start nevertheless.

Lainey - I'm so glad you had the chat with mum. I wish your mum strength, peace and as little pain as possible in whatever time she has with you.

I'm defrosting cooked mince for tomorrow nights dinner. Will be served with mashed potatoes and turnip. Nothing fancy , just good honest food. I'm a bit out of love with the fancy stuff right now. I did a freezer inventory today as I've been putting in quite a bit - amongst the varied offerings are 27 generous portions of soup (mushroom, tomato and wild rice and chicken). Time to get the breadmaker out and have soup and a pudding for dinner. Some people look down on it but hubby and I enjoy it maybe once a week or so. There will be lots of fruit crumbles here too as I have bags of gooseberries in the freezer and still many apples on the tree so will be using them up.

I also have a magnificent haul of venison in said freezer courtesy of a sharp shooting friend. Just a pity I hate the stuff I didn't manage to get time to find a cookbook when we were away with venison as I simply ran out of the ( I saw some great books on butchering it and storing it though) so will have so search the Internet.

Back to work tomorrow where I need to think about the application which I need to do in the hope of keeping my job. I'm not ready to leave yet so I need to give it my best shot. Not what I needed right now but it could be so much worse.

Rain currently lashing against the window and hubby asking if he heard the kettle "ping". That couldn't be a bigger hint if he tried time for a cuppa before bed I guess.

Welcome - nomoonatall. Pleased to have you with us.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend my friends.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 16th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Hi
    I haven't been on here for ages but started reading again a couple of weeks ago. I always liked the "TOUGH" threads.

I just wanted to share that I brought back soup and pudding a couple of weeks ago. My teen felt short changed of "proper" food on week one but he on board now. That was our Monday staple when I was wee. The day before family allowance. We'd have homemade soup from the Sunday and something with hot custard. Once I remember having jelly with hot custard for pudding. Not ideal.

You're all a credit to each other here. You all have each other in your thoughts and that is rare.
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Quick one from me . I really should be on my way to bed .
    SM Wishing you good luck with your application . As for the venison any chance of barter locally or does everyone have a similar venison on the freezer problem ?
    Welcome to Fletch hope to see you tomorrow .
    And now Polly has left the building !
    Sleep well all
    polly x
    • hoglet121
    • By hoglet121 17th Oct 16, 2:05 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    hoglet121
    Hi all,

I've been catching up on all your news, the good and the bad, and thinking of you all much.

We had a good weekend - my rugby team beat the top team to go into the play offs on Saturday. Although, the first team we meet in the palyoffs is the top one again - away this time! I also managed to to get in two visitis to bike shops and have treated myself to a new saddle, a new helmet and some arm warmers that were in the discount bin. Annnnnnnd I cycled into work this morning! Twas hard going after 2 weeks of no excercise and I ended up on a much later train which menat I couldn't get off closer in and cycle the last bit in (which saves $1.30). Anyway, I was pleased I did it. Just got to get home without falling off this time!

Much love to you all,
    Hoglet xxx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,566 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well done HOGLET, takes courage to get back on after a big fall, hope everything is now mended (you and the bike) and in full working order.

Welcome to our new folks, we're always glad of the company and new perspectives which make life wider.

Off to collect a Christmas present from Chichester this morning and we've ordered a few from the internet too, makes life so much easier when you CAN shop online and get things delivered to the door. Have got my Zebra child a 'Bunny' and also one for his new to be baby brother, he's into rabbits at the moment and I thought we'd get a reasonably realistic looking one for each of them and let Zebra choose which one he wants and which one baby will have. Have also got a lovely Quentin Blake print for the nursery wall which will make Ruthie happy too.

Have yourselves a good day, Lyn xxx.

• candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 17th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 23,442 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good morning all,

Seems to be a bright morning so once DGD is off to work I will start the WM. I have quite a lot of washing to do because we had much rain over the weekend.

Used my vouchers at Sainsbugs and bought a lovely piece of gammon, which was reduced, so cooked it yesterday and will slice it today. We will use half this week and I will freeze the rest.

Welcome to all newcomers, as Lyn says it is always good to hear the news from everyone. We have our traumas here, but we also share many happy times together and support each other when needed.

SM good luck with applying for your own job, it really is a nonsence if you are making a success of it anyway, and it certainly sounds as though you are.

Hoglet take it steady until you get back into the swing of it.

Polly I hope you and DD have a better week.

Lainey thinking of you and Mum and hope it is a good week for you all.

Fuddle, did DH finish the table? He must be very gifted because I remember you saying he made garden furniture when you lived in Dorset.

Lyn, the bunnys sound lovely, I would love to see Zebra's face when he sees them. He is one lucky boy to have such lovely Oma and Opa. I hope HWK is feeling more like himself now, I know only too well how UTIs drag you down.

Regarding your post on food I am with you all the way. I feel "good" food is more satisfying and I am lucky because Himself isn't fond of what he calls "fancy food". I do try to serve lots of different vegetables with our main meal, and we do eat smaller meals now. Neither of us seem to have the same appetite as we did when younger, and with also taking in health issues, I think we eat a balanced diet for our age. I have made lots of soup since I treated myself to the soup maker. I love it, it only makes up 4 good portions, but that is fine for us, will do 2 days lunches with cheese and biscuits, or Himself might have a crusty roll with his. Today we are having bubble and squeek with some of the gammon I cooked, and you just have to have brown sauce with B&S.

WM is now on with first load, Himself is just washing up breakfast things and I must have a shower and wash my hair. We have nothing in particular planned this morning, I am with the GP this afternoon. I don't know why, just that he wants to see me, next week I see the renal consultant for a follow up appointment

Have a good day all and much love to you

Candlelightx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning all - I need to stop reading from the last post backwards . I read Candlelights post and thought Lyn had bought real bunnies !
    Hoglet pleased to see you're back on the bike . Hope you don't ache too much after yesterday . You seem to have some good protection but if it happens again we may have to knit a michelan man suit . Well done to your team - I confess I have no idea about rugby I could bore you rigid on the English premier league , which is pretty dire at the moment .
    Candlelight I hope all is fine at the Drs this afternoon . I am becoming slightly fascinated by all the mentions of soup makers on the threads .
    My cooker is one of the first of the new glass hob electric ones , but before I left work so pretty old . I'll never know what possessed me to switch from a gas hob and electric oven but the rings have been the bane of my life ever since . I can have red hot or cut outs while it cools again . I like my stews , soups , porridge and poached eggs cooked on the hob but this is a nightmare . I make my porridge in the microwave but I am not a fan of mw . After the Drs last Friday I stood in our little coop staring at one of those soup makers MR brand which was reduced massively but was suspicious of the very low price . Roll on the day when the kitchen refit can begin . I would welcome information on yours .
    Be back later have had one of those mornings dd has had her head down the loo since her meds on Friday , and shuffling of todays hospital bloods which I had to cancel first thing this morning is in progress phone wise .
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,566 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'd be excommunicated by Ruthie if I had got them real ones!!! mind Zebra would have loved it. No, they're cuddlies but both look reasonably realistic and one is brown and the other brown and white and one is crouched down and the other just about to hop away so there is a choice.

Weather here is changeable today, one minute bright sunshine and the next a deluge of biblical proportions, can't be bored in the UK when there's weather can we???

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter