Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,784Posts
    • 55,156Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 191
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 10,900 Posts
    • 30,665 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    LOL at the bird outside "trying to tell me something".

That's one of the minor plus points to this house - as I spot birds parading up and down or just "sitting and staring" meaningfully at me. I get quite amused by the way they seem to feel pretty safe on my property to just sit there and quietly fall asleep. Have been known to say to them "Don't mind me - just finish your nap",,,

I think they feed themselves pretty well from my garden without any help from me I have to admit. My garden felt very barren and "concrete" and devoid of all life when I first bought the house. Bit by bit it's being turned back into a proper garden and the local birds have obviously realised and I can sometimes spot quite a few out helping themselves to worms. There didnt seem to be a single worm when I bought the place - but there's loads of them there now.

I guess the fertility must have got back pretty well into the soil too - as I even find mushrooms growing in it sometimes now (sadly they aren't of the edible type).
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 82,893 Thanks
    fuddle
    LaineyT I am so sorry for what your mum read. If ever there was a letter that did not want to be read it is that one. I am actually moved with sadness at the thought of the mater of fact way it likely would have read. I am so sorry. How is mum doing?

Scottishminnie you sound so down. I hope you can wake tomorrow with a bit more of a spring in your step. We'll keep looking forward to nargle's full moon eh?

I am feeling chipper again thank goodness. I've been sorting through the cupboards, organising and tidying. For a family who don't consume we consume something! The amount that has accumulated is a concern.

I have heard from the council. All paperwork is correct, they are just waiting for an reference to be returned from my landlord (letting agent so I am not holding my breath in terms of quickness) then I can take part in the bidding process every week.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.
    Only a fool trips on what is behind them.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lovely walk with Cookie this afternoon, really feeling and looking autumnal here now, the breeze is bringing down a blizzard of leaves from the trees and all over the village folks are diligently raking leaves up into nice neat piles. What a shame I don't have my Dockling he just loved piles of leaves, would burrow in nose first, fling himself upside down in them with his legs sticking out the top and then proceed to roll and roll and roll, scattering leaves over a much larger area than he took up, love him!!! Cookie did consider the idea but decided trying to eat acorns was much more important, I'm certain she's 50% tigger!

Poor old He Who Knows has had to go back to the GP, his UTI is back and I'm much impressed at the fact that he phoned at 8.15 this morning and was asked if he could go there and then to give a sample and when he got there the doctor had already electronically sent a prescription for him to our local pharmacy which was ready and waiting when he got back home. He's feeling a bit sorry for himself poor love so I'm being nice to him and keeping him soothed. He's not used to being poorly!!!

Hope you've all had nice days too, the weather here has been benign but the forecast for the weekend ahead is for rain intermittently which we really could do with, it's been some time since we had proper rain and the gardens really need a drink!

Great news FUDDLE, hopefully you won't have too long a wait for council accommodation, hopefully with lots of room and a nice garden where not only can the girls have plenty of space to play in but room for a nice little vegetable and fruit garden tor you too, fingers crossed pet xxx.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 14-10-2016 at 4:17 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just got home . I'll have everything crossed for you Fuds - even if it takes time it will be worth the wait .
    Back later
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Crossposted Lyn - Sending healing wishes to HWKs he must be so fed up with it now Hope the med makes a difference .
    polly
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 82,893 Thanks
    fuddle
    My hair regularly gets a drink Lyn. Auld frizz bomb cannot be shifted at the moment what with dank air at best. Have some rain, please she says as she knows it's due to pelt down all weekend here too.

Poor HWK this last dose should see if off I hope. At least the rain will do some work for him. Have a snug weekend you two.

I have been summoned to make crispy cakes so best stop nattering. I hope all the mixture makes its way into the cake cases.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Send me a CRISPY CAKE!!!!!! NOW!!!!! xxx.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 14th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 51,890 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Have been reading stuff about this weekend's full moon. There will be lots of energy around, it will be a good few days for cracking on with big jobs, making important decisions and getting rid of stuff that should have been got rid of a long time ago. A time for not taking any more of the brown stuff from anybody. A time for new beginnings. Bring it on!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 01 of 15
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 21,163 Thanks
    Floss
    Ooh, I need to get DH in our attic to get rid of things that should have gone when I moved in back in 2005!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning everyone, He Who Knows feeling better today and has headed allotmentwards to do some digging before the promised rain arrives. I've been through the house and sorted out the fridge and am tossing up as to whether to do the ironing or try to get into town on the bus and back before the promised rain arrives. Nothing specific planned for this weekend we'll have to see how the poorly one feels and he never likes going anywhere at a weekend as he doesn't like crowds in shops, to be honest he doesn't like shops at all!!! I get a little 'cabin fevered' if I don't get out of the house though and it will have to be today as the bus service on Sunday is limited to one in the morning and one in the afternoon through the village, hmmmmmmm decisions, decisions!

Hope mum is OK LAINEY, I'm glad you've managed to talk to her about the letter and wish you all peaceful acceptance this afternoon in what will be an emotional and hard conversation to have, will be thinking of you.

Hope you all have a nice day, Lyn xxx.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 82,893 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm glad HWKs is chipper today. did you get your rain?

DH is in the garage with palette wood. He 's making a side table. I'm alone with my thoughts and the girls are upstairs being preteens with music and notepads.

My mam collapsed while in the village store yesterday. She refused ambulance but did allow help to get her to the GP. Mam has been told that the fluid on her tummy must be drained and that her jaundice is a worrying sign that things are desperate within her. She was asked to have her bloods tested but has refused. She thinks it's ok to tell me this. It's not ok to tell me this. I feel helpless yet angry because I have to try to deal with whatever emotion is going in within me (I don't know what I feel) while mam doesn't have to deal with anything because the drink sorts all that for her.

Full moon soon. I hope it can take some of this away.

My life goes on. Kettle on and go give DH a cup of tea to see what he's up to.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Sweetie there really is NOTHING you can do to change things, mum will go her own way and what will be WILL BE no words or actions of yours or anyone elses CAN change what is. It's a great sadness and so frustrating to be in this situation, it's not the least bit fair to load the worry on you and then refuse any help. It's in mums hands and hers alone, it's her responsibility and her choice all you can do sadly is watch and wait and hope but you cannot change a single thing. Best if you can to fill your time and mind with practical things at home and with the girls and keep yourself occupied for as much of the time as you can. Too much thinking time is only going to add further to the stress. I'm here and on the end of my phone if you need me lovey xxx.

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Fuds love I could write the book on living with someone who lives their life from the bottom of the bottle . Like yourself I put up with all sorts but nothing made a difference . There is a point where for your sanity and your loved ones you have to accept that nothing will change , your mam is beyond the point where anything matters but the next drink .
    As always you have done your best at the risk of your own well being .You are fighting your way back towards health and hoping you may get a more secure home . I beg you not to spoil all that now . Stick close to those who truly love and care for you and don't let toxic stuff in .
    We will be behind you whatever you decide but think it through love .
    Well done to your husband he sounds a real diamond . x
    Lyn I'm pleased HWK is feeling a bit brighter x
    It appears many of us are expecting a lot of that full moon !!! I was fired up by Nargles post last night but we've had grey low skies all day and heavy rain - I doubt I'll see it .
    Take care all .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Crossposted again Lyn , beginning to think we're psychic ! x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 15th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 23,441 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good evening all,

It has been quite a good day, weather wise, but it has definitely turned chilly tonight. We haven't done a great deal, went to SM for a small shop, put the Dyson around, made lentil soup and then this afternoon just chilled out.

DGD has gone to the cinema with her sister and friend to see the new Tim Burton film and they are also going to have something to eat as well.

I had my diabetic foot check and asthma check yesterday, both were fine.

Lyn, I am pleased HWK is on the mend, sometimes one course of antibs is not enough for a UTI. I think you will be cuddled up in the warm tonight just like us.

Lainey, I am pleased you have been able to talk to Mum, I know you can't change the knowledge she now has, but if somehow she has been able to accept it then all to the good. To be honest, if I were in her position, I don't know whether I would want to know. One way, yes so that I could put my house in order, and then the other, wondering when the time came nearer. It is good she is relatively pain free and long may that continue.

Fuddle, I really don't know what to say my lovely, I remember reading your posts when I first joined MSE, and how troubled you were about your Mum. Clearly not a lot has changed and never likely to. My DD1 was a nurse before she had to retire. and she worked on a gastro ward which had a regular clientelle of alcoholics. She would sit with these patients, nurse them through their cirrhosis of the liver or oesophageal varices, and they would promise never to get in that state again, but of course 6 months or so later they were being admitted to the same ward with the same problems . Your Mum is so far down the line I don't think she has any control of this now, and she probably can't see that by telling you she is adding to the burden you already carry. I know there must be so many mixed emotions going on inside you, anger being one of those, but she obviously wanted to tell you, for what reason I don't know.

Take things steady and have a gentle hug from me, remember you are still recovering from a very nasty illness.

Hoglet I hope you have recovered, but not in any hurry to ride that bike yet Flora has forgiven us now but it took a good 2 weeks, she is such a little character.

SM we have the news on at the moment and that awful woman has just been on, she doesn't do much to endear herself does she?

Well I hope we all feel brighter after the full moon that Nargle has forecast for us, and keep the faith folks

Much love to you all and hope some of our problems become smaller after the weekend.

Candlelightx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 135,557 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Certainly are CANDLELIGHT we've lit the stove and the lounge is beautifully toasty warm, sadly I'm here in the unheated study which is NOT!!!

POLLY we seem to be thinking the same thoughts at the same time, Nell and I do it all the time, it's uncanny until you get used to it and then it feels normal. I'd like a pound for the number of times we've phoned each other and got the engaged signal because we're phoning each other, rather nice really. I've got your wonderful full moon outside, the clouds are patchy and he's sometimes just shining through them but when he sails out into the clear sky again he's magnificent and bright enough to light up the garden, a glorious sight!!! xxx.

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 82,893 Thanks
    fuddle
    Me too! I.can see it here. Was full of it until DH said he thought it was bad luck to look at it. Eeek! what the heck eh?
    • elona
    • By elona 15th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 10,596 Posts
    • 53,486 Thanks
    elona
    Fuddle

I think there was a theory about looking at the new moon through glass but I could well be wrong. Please look after yourself and don't get dragged down by being given the worrying news but not allowed to do or say anything about it. At some point we all have to take responsibility for ourselves and our choices, especially your mum.
    You need to put yourself first for your kids and DH and for yourself.

Pneumonia is a beggar!!!! It took me months to feel anything like myself and I had to take things easy and recover.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi Lyn I think there's a bit of witchcraft - in a good way - in me . The family reckon so as I know something is amiss with one of them long before they realise it themselves . We do the phoning or emailing at the same time too . I put it down to the combination of Irish and Scandi ancestry !
    Elona I recall something about glass but can't remember what . I hope all is well with you and you're enjoying your home .
    Fuds One thing I remember my mum doing is turning her money over at the time of the new moon . I can't recall why and will have to google that !
    Well I didn't get the glorious brightness Lyn saw but I went out and gazed up and saw the moon - a little foggy but there all the same
    Now we all wait with bated breath and see what happens . It was a lovely sight though .
    Candlelight I'm glad your tests were fine . Have a nice weekend .
    As always thoughts are with Lainey , her mum and all the family x
    polly x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 8,735 Posts
    • 51,890 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Certainly a gorgeous full moon out there tonight, one of the many marvels of Nature. This means the next new moon will be somewhere near the end of this month.

Fuddle I think you know your mam has gone too far down that road to turn back, and the odd bits you have posted on here can only hint at how much you have done to try and help her. You can do no more, your life now is with your DH and your girls (who sound absolute diamonds). What will be, will be. Look after yourself and yours.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

December NSDs. 01 of 15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter