Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    • 2,784Posts
    • 55,105Thanks
    scottishminnie
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start
    • 23rd Jan 12, 9:52 PM
    No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start 23rd Jan 12 at 9:52 PM
    I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
    My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
    I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
Page 190
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,330 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We went to Salisbury!!! first time I've been into the centre and first time I've been close to the Cathedral, such a beautiful building with peaceful and beautifully kept surroundings outside. We went to the refectory and had a coffee and a lovely walk round the grassed area while the kids from the Cathedral school were whizzing about changing classrooms between lessons, nice to be there. Parts of the city are really old and quite lovely but unfortunately in terms of the shops it could be anywhere else in the country, same names, same goods, same appearance. We tried to call in at a garden centre for lunch on the way home but we'd only just got through the door when a management chappie came and told us that sadly there was only very limited choice of snack foods in the restaurant today as the main Chefs father had been taken suddenly ill and he'd had to just drop everything and go. We opted to drive home and go to our local garden centre for a nice jacket potato as we also needed to get some terracotta pots for my bulbs for indoors in the spring.

FUDS we really ARE proud of you y'know, the journey you've been on through your young life has been definitely 'not beside still waters' and qualifies you for 'the steep and rugged pathway' of the psalm. What you've faced, dealt with and overcome would have flattened most people and left them so depleted that they'd have given in and given up. You though, give yourself a shake, get yourself up and keep on pushing back at life until you get forward momentum again, time after time after time. You really ought to be proud of the strong and determined woman you've become, we are!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Glad to hear that you have had such a fab day Lyn, have never visited Salisbury myself but do love a cathedral city.

Am a bit miffed to say the least, DM has received two letters from the local surgery where she has been temporarily having blood tests etc following her initial review when she moved into DB's. One document was a DNR confirmation which was fine as all has been discussed but the other was a summary of her condition etc which included the possible time frame after we have been so careful to fulfill her wishes to not know and they turn round and just send it to her like that! She just handed it to me and pulled a face, we didn't really have time to talk as more friends of hers called to visit but could tell by her face how upset she was. Have been on the phone to her palliative team this afternoon asking if this was the norm and the community nurse is raising a complaint. My poor darling Mum, my heart hurts so for her.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lainey love my heart hurts for you all . That is beyond belief after the care that has gone into keeping your mums spirits up . The candle is burning away as I type and you are all very much in my thoughts .
    love polly x
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 13th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 23,371 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Oh Lainey, I am so sorry, as if your Mum doesn't have enough to cope with, and it was her explicit wish not to know of any time scale.

Sometimes people can be so insensitive without realising but they should have checked their records for any instructions.

I know you must be hurting for your Mum as well, and unfortunately the knowledge your Mum has now cannot be forgotten.

I am so sorry for you all and sending gentle hugs and much love

Candlelightx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Haven't figured out how to add to a post yet and a bit after the horse has bolted but would mum be willing to have these mailings sent to another family member from now on . Too late for your poor mum now but hopefully the complaint will save it happening to a vulnerable person again . I'm fuming on behalf of you all . Take care love
    polly x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    Floss
    Lainey, big hugs for your mum and you, that wasn't a pleasant piece of post to be opened. Pollyanna's suggestion is a good one.

Am so pleased that your DM is enjoying her social activities
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,330 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Poor Mum, poor Lainey how sad like a loss of innocence and now you have the knowledge in your heads there's no gainsaying it. I pray for you all to be given the strength to accept and the grace to enjoy every second of precious time that is gifted you together and whatever your beliefs or non beliefs I pray that there is 'after life' and that in the fullness of time in that next step you will be united again and together in love and caring always and forever xxx.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you my friends, we realise that there is nothing we can do to take that knowledge away from DM now, what we can do is raise the issue so hopefully another patient doesn't have to go through the same?
    Not sure if legally we would be allowed to have Mum's post forwarded through to one of us, she is completely of sound mind after all x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lainey you would have to check but as far as I'm aware your mum can decide to have her post sent to another close family member .
    polly x
    Maybe the nurse could clarify that point .
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 10,513 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you Polly, will have a chat with Mum tomorrow and see how she feels, thanks again for the good idea x
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 13th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 55,105 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Lainey - I'm so angry for what has happened to your mum. As the others have said nothing can wind that clock back sadly and i can't begin to imagine how you will keep mums spirits up.

I know what everyone means about people's moods just now. I seem to flit between feeling really angry and utterly despairing about things. The news today that a vindictive,spiteful individual is ignoring the wishes of the Scottish people and forcing another referendum is really the final straw. I just don't want to be part of this country any more. I was told yesterday that my department at work is structuring and we will all have to reapply for our jobs. We should know the week before Christmas who hasn't been successful.

Hubby and I planned to emigrate some years back and my parents put every possible obstacle in our way before finally pulling the guilt trip, by which time they'd beaten me down. I've never forgiven myself for not being stronger and the anger at myself is just adding to everything else. This is truly the only place I can come and feel safe with normal people.

Gosh, I need to go off and give myself a shake I think before I have everyone putting their heads in a gas oven

On a bright note - my blender arrived from Lakeland. I follows Lyn's recommendation and it certainly looks sturdy and just the job. Will try it out at the weekend.

Is it really bad to have a gin and tonic on a school night?!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lainey I've cleared my foggy brain now . What I am suggesting is one of you with mums consent becomes her medical appointee . I am my daughters and deal with the aspects that are upsetting to her while she handles the stuff I know she will be fine with . Mum and whoever will receive certain mailings need to make a request at the surgery . In your case I would imagine just that surgery would need to be involved .
    This has no impact on her personal or financial mail at all . My concern is that time frame may appear again on future mailings unless they act on the complaint they receive fast . Everyone as far as I'm aware can set up such an arrangement with the consent of the patient .
    Hope that's a bit clearer - I'm not known for clear posts !
    Hope you somehow manage some sleep tonight x
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    SM Not a drinker myself but feel free ! Some days anything goes .
    Take care love
    polly
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    Floss
    SM I understood that it was 2/3 of the Scottish population that voted for Remain, have I got that wrong?
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 13th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 55,105 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Floss - think it was about 55% which isn't enough for me to feel comfortable that it couldn't move the other way.

I'm just feeling pants right now - I probably just need a kick up the rear. Hubby would normally be first in the queue to do it but he has tonsillitis so is feeling rubbish. I have a face I put on for work - just need to practice a similarly positive appearance for the rest of the time.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Oct 16, 6:52 AM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 30,575 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Scottish Minnie

I can guess who the person referred to is - I tend to refer to her as "That woman".

Break the bad news to me quick - which referendum is it she personally wants? Does she want Scotland to vote (on its own - apart from the rest of the country) on Brexit over again? Or have Scotland vote again on further separation from the rest of the country?

I'm not in that part of the country - but I'll join you in being angry at her either way. I can't believe one person can be so determined to be divisive - until I look at the look in her eyes and see all the negative stuff in them and I believe it.
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,456 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning all . Quick one from me to send strength to Lainey today and hope she and her dear Mum got some sort of sleep last night .Doctor , meds and lots of other stuff to do today so wishing all a good day - I hope you feel a bit better SM .
    Back later - take care all
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,330 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    SM it's just rhetoric, you can't do politics on a personal level when you're a party leader there are too many other politicians who can be the brakes and the whole nation who in both Scotland and the UK who have already voted and expressed their opinion as to leaving the Union and Brexit. Politicians have agendas that are NOT apparent to the layman and who knows what this objective is, I work on the principle that the things being shouted loudest and most forcefully are not the thing that is being aimed for, that becomes apparent later on in the debate. We live in 'interesting' times don't we?

• scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 14th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 2,784 Posts
    • 55,105 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    MITSTM - it's another Scottish independence referendum. She will not accept that the people voted against what she wants and is hell bent on getting it whatever the cost. It's not about what's right for the people sadly it's simply one person wth a massive chip on their shoulder and seemingly the power to disregard her nation.

To say she will also vote against absolutely everything proposed by the government just because she can is childish beyond words.

Wise words Lyn, sometimes creating a drama on one thing allow people to gain concessions or what they see as victories on others.

Anyway no more on the subject from me, I'm just not handling it well at all anymore.

It's pretty wet and windy here. I'm working from home today (so better get back to the other laptop). I'm hoping to get a gap in my diary today that will let me start on my application for my current job. We only have a week to apply and then the "decision" process for who gets to stay and who is redundant takes 9 weeks. It's going to be a long 9 weeks although I'm sure I will be just as busy as normal.

Think I should feed the birds before I start - I have a robin on the kitchen window ledge who has been staring in for a good few minutes now. I think he's trying to tell me something!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 135,330 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Give him a few minutes and he'll write his order on the outside window with his little beak, bet it involves mealworms!!!

Politics is all smoke and mirrors, just because politicians shout and fuss and threaten doesn't mean they have either the teeth to do what they threaten or the power to make changes unless approved by ALL parliament, not just their own particular party. It's a pretty effective tool and has been for a few years now. Watch what happens next, it's better than a soap opera pet!!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter