IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ukpc parking fines
Closed Thread
Views: 18,239
# 1
lukewalsh010
Old 23-01-2012, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Ukpc parking fines

I moved in to an apartment with my girlfriend recently and the car park for our apartment has numbered bays. Each bay has a permit but parking is apparently restricted to one car per bay and as we have two vehicles we have got 3 90 parking fines in two days. Many of the apartments are empty so there are a lot of spare spaces and we are causing no harm using one extra bay. Do UKPC ltd have the authority to make me pay all these fines? What do i do?
# 2
steve1500
Old 23-01-2012, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got an invoice today & it has gone in the draw to collect dust
Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
The Following User Says Thank You to steve1500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Coupon-mad
Old 23-01-2012, 1:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewalsh010 View Post
I moved in to an apartment with my girlfriend recently and the car park for our apartment has numbered bays. Each bay has a permit but parking is apparently restricted to one car per bay and as we have two vehicles we have got 3 90 parking fines in two days. Many of the apartments are empty so there are a lot of spare spaces and we are causing no harm using one extra bay. Do UKPC ltd have the authority to make me pay all these fines? What do i do?

You just ignore it. Follow the advice on this pepipoo forum thread which is similar to your situation:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=67439

Then come back here and read the sticky threads to watch a Watchdog video about this scam, and to see the letters you will be sent. Ignore them.

This is NOT a fine.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012.

USE THE FORUM JUMP TO GO TO THE PARKING SUB FORUM AND READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.
# 4
lukewalsh010
Old 23-01-2012, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Can they not force me to pay these fines?
# 5
lukewalsh010
Old 23-01-2012, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'll empty a draw ready for the letters then. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to lukewalsh010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Coupon-mad
Old 23-01-2012, 1:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Read the sticky threads, look at the link to the pepipoo thread, as it has advice I don't have time to type out at work.

Then come back if it's not clear that this is a SCAM and they are NOT fines.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012.

USE THE FORUM JUMP TO GO TO THE PARKING SUB FORUM AND READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.
# 7
TrickyWicky
Old 23-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Can they not force me to pay these fines?
With a court order yes they could however for one or two tickets they won't bother. That said, the more tickets you collect the more attention you'll get from them increasing the odds of court action. You need to figure out somewhere else to put the other car ASAP before they become a real pain in the grass.
# 8
HO87
Old 23-01-2012, 1:30 PM

These are not fines. UKPC have absolutely no authority at law to levy any type of penalty. What you have is an invitation to settle an alleged breach of contract. All that they could do is to pursue you for their reasonable losses which in what amounts to a free car park come to precisely zero. At 90 a pop it is clear that the amount demanded is a penalty. Ignore them.
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
The Following User Says Thank You to HO87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
The Slithy Tove
Old 23-01-2012, 1:51 PM

Do the signs in the car park make any threats about clamping? If so, you'd better be careful, as there's a whole world of hurt and aggro if one or other of your cars gets clamped or towed (even if it's done illegally).
The Following User Says Thank You to The Slithy Tove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
lukewalsh010
Old 23-01-2012, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have been on the phone since i posted this question the 1st time and people have passed the responsibility to others but what I have been told is that a company called bigwood own the car park and have an agreement with UKPC to fine people for not displaying a valid permit and so Bigwood claim that UKPC can and will fine me everytime my vechile is in a bay without a permit and they said I WILL HAVE TO PAY. Shall I still ignore the letters?
# 11
vax2002
Old 23-01-2012, 2:10 PM

Bigwood will be getting a cut of the Scam money.
The Following User Says Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
trisontana
Old 23-01-2012, 2:16 PM

Quote:
I have been on the phone since i posted this question the 1st time and people have passed the responsibility to others but what I have been told is that a company called bigwood own the car park and have an agreement with UKPC to fine people for not displaying a valid permit and so Bigwood claim that UKPC can and will fine me everytime my vechile is in a bay without a permit and they said I WILL HAVE TO PAY. Shall I still ignore the letters?
You do not have to pay and these aren't FINES. Don't forget that UKPC are not the police or the council. They are just private citizens with no more power than you or me to demand money off people.
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
TrickyWicky
Old 23-01-2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO87 View Post
All that they could do is to pursue you for their reasonable losses which in what amounts to a free car park come to precisely zero.
Plus the DVLA lookup fee (2.50), plus postage, plus time to administer the DVLA lookup, reply, letters being sent.

Once the ball starts rolling even on a case that loses in court have you not noticed the PPC often still gets minimal costs?
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyWicky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
esmerobbo
Old 23-01-2012, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyWicky View Post
Plus the DVLA lookup fee (2.50), plus postage, plus time to administer the DVLA lookup, reply, letters being sent.

Once the ball starts rolling even on a case that loses in court have you not noticed the PPC often still gets minimal costs?
Only you cant sue someone for 0!

So you would have to sue for an amount as a penalty, then you would not win, and if you don't win you don't get costs!
The Following User Says Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
TrickyWicky
Old 23-01-2012, 2:42 PM

But thats just it - go back and look at the "Parking eye loose" thread posted by Alex. They lost and still got their costs from the defendant.

Thats what I'm saying, the 2.50 plus postage etc can still be counted as a loss incurred by the company.

In effect even though PE lost, they still won because the motorist still had to stump up cash.
# 16
lukewalsh010
Old 23-01-2012, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have spoken at length and UKPC and they have said its a penalty charge, I didnt say I had recieved one and just told them that I was enquiring about the issue. In my lease it states I will have 1 parking space. It says nothing about me recieving a 90 'parking charge'.
# 17
esmerobbo
Old 23-01-2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:
But thats just it - go back and look at the "Parking eye loose" thread posted by Alex. They lost and still got their costs from the defendant.

Thats what I'm saying, the 2.50 plus postage etc can still be counted as a loss incurred by the company.

In effect even though PE lost, they still won because the motorist still had to stump up cash.
Parking Eye didn't lose though they won! (in theory) The loss was in the amount they lost pursuing the case.
They were awarded their loss's which were 2X 5 parking and 2X 2.50 not the 2X 120 penalties, and the mad cost's.

Last edited by esmerobbo; 23-01-2012 at 3:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
TrickyWicky
Old 23-01-2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
It says nothing about me recieving a 90 'parking charge'.
It doesn't have to. As long as they specify what you are entitled to how the rest of the car park is managed isn't really relevant to your lease. The point is you have one space and you're using spaces that belong to other properties without consent which your lease doesn't entitle you to.
# 19
TrickyWicky
Old 23-01-2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmerobbo View Post
Parking Eye didn't lose though they won! (in theory) The loss was in the amount they lost pursuing the case.
They were awarded their loss's which were 2X 5 parking and 2X 2.50 not the 2X 120 penalties, and the mad cost's.
Are you blind? - The thread titled "Parking Eye lose"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis27 View Post
Original claim of 240 deemed a contractual penalty unrelated to damages incurred.

15 + 95 costs awarded.
Also where did I state they were awarded their 'penalties'? - I didn't. All I said was that the DVLA lookup, postage etc could be classed as a loss/expense. I never said anything about their PPC parking charge so why are you trying to educate me about it? I never said 'would', 'is' etc just that it could be.
# 20
esmerobbo
Old 23-01-2012, 3:41 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack,

Quote:
Are you blind? - The thread titled "Parking Eye lose"

Also where did I state they were awarded their 'penalties'? - I didn't. All I said was that the DVLA lookup, postage etc could be classed as a loss/expense. I never said anything about their PPC parking charge so why are you trying to educate me about it? I never said 'would', 'is' etc just that it could be.
No I am not blind!! You see I have seen the judgement, I actually paid Smithy an amount towards his costs.

Plain English PARKING EYE WON THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!

You cant be awarded costs if you lose! Otherwise people would be suing everybody for a 1 and 135 costs!!! Losing the claim and being paid cost's!

Read here! http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=305

Last edited by esmerobbo; 23-01-2012 at 3:49 PM.
Closed Thread